Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Klyith posted:

Market has definitely shrunk over the last two years, but that's because 2020-21 was a massive boom where market demand was through the roof.

How many young people do you know? Apparently playing games on PC is way more popular with the youth than consoles.

Didn't see the thing myself but I heard that Phil Spencer was in some talk or interview at GDC and said something along those lines. The console market is not growing anymore, and so MS's exclusives strategy needed to change.

A few? If anything it feels like they're all on Switch.

I think part of the issue is that I don't know how you separate out people who are playing on PC because Fortnite's free and dad's potato business laptop from two jobs ago runs it fine vs. people who buy and pay for non-FTP games. I'm lightly googling some figures to see if I can get an apples to apples comparison, and while I can't find info on specific titles I"m sure finding stuff about how phone game income is double consoles and PC combined, and I strongly suspect that MTX is going to be a big driver of PC profits as well. See: Fortnite etc.

Maybe this is my own gamer chauvinism showing, but I'm drawing a mental line between "person who plays video games consistently as a hobby" vs "person who has ever played a game." Like, is my mom a "gamer" because she has Candy Crush on her phone and launches it once every other week?

When I think about people who are actually going out and buying a new title once or twice a year it feels like that's much more skewed towards consoles.

edit: again, this is all bad anecdata so maybe I'm just full of poo poo. But the way the market is defined feels dumb to me and like a lot of dissimilar groups are being lumped together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Something that's come up often in analyst reports is how top heavy the MTX market is, like more than half the money in mobile gaming is taken by the top 5 games and it's not much different outside mobile. I saw someone theorise a few months back that you could remove Fortnite, Call of Duty, FIFA, Madden and Minecraft and the industry as a whole would look much less impressive in raw financial terms.

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is the other thing, its hard to see consoles as dying when the Switch is the third most successful gaming device of all time.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

What would you consider the handhelds such as the steam deck, Asus, etc?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

PCs, the Deck is more console like with its custom front end and APU but all the others are just Windows PCs with built in controllers and off the shelf parts.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

njsykora posted:

Something that's come up often in analyst reports is how top heavy the MTX market is, like more than half the money in mobile gaming is taken by the top 5 games and it's not much different outside mobile. I saw someone theorise a few months back that you could remove Fortnite, Call of Duty, FIFA, Madden and Minecraft and the industry as a whole would look much less impressive in raw financial terms.

This is the other thing, its hard to see consoles as dying when the Switch is the third most successful gaming device of all time.

does Minecraft sell MTX? I've played a bit of it and I never saw anything like that, is it in Bedrock edition or something?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

njsykora posted:

PCs, the Deck is more console like with its custom front end and APU but all the others are just Windows PCs with built in controllers and off the shelf parts.

We got a Linux Handheld in the shape of the Steam Deck instead of the "Year Of The Linux PC" like i was promised. :kiddo:

I haven't upgraded/built a pc since 2019... all the games i want to play are running on a five year old machine.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Playing games on PC is incredibly popular because every single pixel indie hit can run on an i3 2nd gen just fine. Also take into the fact that in many countries consoles simply don't exist but truckloads of 10 year old business laptops are a dime a dozen and the PC has a market share that would make nintendo green with envy.

Also yes, playing candy crush on your phone makes you a gamer. Sorry nerds.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I'm sure determining marketshare is getting blurry. If you have a Chromebook that you use some Android games on, but you also have Steam installed on, how do you count it? What about if you do the same with iOS apps on a Macbook?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Arivia posted:

does Minecraft sell MTX? I've played a bit of it and I never saw anything like that, is it in Bedrock edition or something?

Realms (custom servers basically) in Bedrock edition are supposedly a huge money maker. They also sell player skins and a bunch of other stuff. Basically all the stuff that the Java version has free but I'd wager most 7-12 year olds playing Minecraft don't know what a Java is and the parents are perfectly happy to split $10 a month or so so the kids can have a friend group server.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've always wondered about this, because it clashes so much with my own anecdotal experiences. I find it really hard to believe that there are more people playing on PC - even casually - than consoles. I feel like there must be something going on like what you're describing, where someone who plays a browser based game on their lunch break is counted as a "PC gamer" or something.
The console market is really not doing great though and the customer base is aging. Younger generations seem to care less and less about consoles. In the US the console market peaked in 2008 and never recovered:

This is not adjusted for inflation so the market has actually shrunk even more than it might look like at first glance. Chart covers dedicated gaming devices, including portables like the Switch, but excludes PC's and phones.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 24, 2024

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Worth noting that "playing games on PC" doesn't always mean playing games max detail rayshitting 240fps. A LOT of people settle for low details, low resolution potato gameplay

E: and I'm not saying that as a judgement, that's just how it is when you've got no money. In 1995 I was gaming on a 486 and if Doom had to draw more than three monster it would chug

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 25, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TheFluff posted:

The console market is really not doing great though and the customer base is aging. Younger generations seem to care less and less about consoles. In the US the console market peaked in 2008 and never recovered:

This is not adjusted for inflation so the market has actually shrunk even more than it might look like at first glance. Chart covers dedicated gaming devices, including portables like the Switch, but excludes PC's and phones.

i assume that's demonstrating the spectacular popularity of the wii?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Rinkles posted:

i assume that's demonstrating the spectacular popularity of the wii?

Well, a bunch of things aligned in 2008; PS3 and Xbox 360 were both doing pretty well (PS3 had an iffy launch but was recovering IIRC), PS2 was still available for ridiculously cheap ($129 MSRP I think?), and then yeah there was the Wii and also the Nintendo DS.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think part of the issue is that I don't know how you separate out people who are playing on PC because Fortnite's free and dad's potato business laptop from two jobs ago runs it fine vs. people who buy and pay for non-FTP games. I'm lightly googling some figures to see if I can get an apples to apples comparison, and while I can't find info on specific titles I"m sure finding stuff about how phone game income is double consoles and PC combined, and I strongly suspect that MTX is going to be a big driver of PC profits as well. See: Fortnite etc.

Maybe this is my own gamer chauvinism showing, but I'm drawing a mental line between "person who plays video games consistently as a hobby" vs "person who has ever played a game." Like, is my mom a "gamer" because she has Candy Crush on her phone and launches it once every other week?

When I think about people who are actually going out and buying a new title once or twice a year it feels like that's much more skewed towards consoles.

edit: again, this is all bad anecdata so maybe I'm just full of poo poo. But the way the market is defined feels dumb to me and like a lot of dissimilar groups are being lumped together.

That mental line is perfectly fair for a specific distinction, but it depends on what number you're looking for. Are you looking for "people who identify as gamers and whose primary platform is pc", or are you looking for "people who primarily play games on pc"?

My dad has multiple thousand hours logged in Steam. He exclusively plays workshop levels in Picross Touch, but he probably does more of that in a week than I've played any individual game all April. Yet between the two of us, I'm the one calling myself a pc gamer, and he's a pensioner with a woodworking hobby.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Another element that might hurt current consoles is that the move to service games that are meant to be played for years doesn't really align with the need to keep upgrading hardware. If you bought a PS4 10 years ago and only really play Minecraft and Fortnite you can still do that on that system so why do you need a PS5? That's before the long cross gen period that we're only just starting to move out of, not even the Gran Turismo hardcore had to buy a PS5 because GT7 came out on PS4 as well.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TheFluff posted:

Well, a bunch of things aligned in 2008; PS3 and Xbox 360 were both doing pretty well (PS3 had an iffy launch but was recovering IIRC), PS2 was still available for ridiculously cheap ($129 MSRP I think?), and then yeah there was the Wii and also the Nintendo DS.

There was another thing going on in 2007-2008 that you might remember.

The chart is demonstrating the popularity of video games among people who are sitting on their couch with lots of time on their hands. Whether due to global pandemic, or a global economic crisis with mass unemployment.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

FuturePastNow posted:

Worth noting that "playing games on PC" doesn't always mean playing games max detail rayshitting 240fps. A LOT of people settle for low details, low resolution potato gameplay

E: and I'm not saying that as a judgement, that's just how it is when you've got no money. In 1995 I was gaming on a 486 and if Doom had to draw more than three monster it would chug

half life, ut99 and tiberian sun was nearly unplayable on any CPU that isnt a contemporary p6 or k7 even with a good GPU

now the baseline performance is so high that a 7800x3d being 60% faster than a 5600 makes no difference to 99% of users

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

My kid plays games on my old PC using an i5 750 and GTX 970 and it runs all his stuff fine. Between Roblox and Minecraft kids don't seem to mind blocky polygons everywhere, it's just an aesthetic choice to them. It even runs surprisingly modern stuff half decently if you don't mind cranking the graphics down. Pretty good for a machine whose newest part is a decade old.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FuturePastNow posted:

when I got really into Football Manager the other month, it was interesting to find that one of the biggest fan-pages for the game had a dedicated guide to helping people pick out a laptop that could run FM well. Like, not a desktop, not PC parts per se, but more like "what is the cheapest laptop you can find that will give you the bang for the buck that you want to run this game?", as though people into FM wouldn't really play anything else, and would be just fine with a low-end iGPU-only laptop as long as it would run their One Game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

My brother is has been super into Football Manager since the Championship Manager 2 days and I can confirm he barely plays anything else.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Just Another Lurker posted:

I haven't upgraded/built a pc since 2019... all the games i want to play are running on a five year old machine.

I'm still on a PC I built in 2012 :corsair:

I upgraded the GPU to a 1070 in 2018, so that's still six years ago. The most recent modern game I've played is the System Shock remake, which isn't very demanding, but even then it chugs in certain areas.

Poverty is fun.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Former Human posted:

I'm still on a PC I built in 2012 :corsair:

I upgraded the GPU to a 1070 in 2018, so that's still six years ago. The most recent modern game I've played is the System Shock remake, which isn't very demanding, but even then it chugs in certain areas.

Poverty is fun.

you can look for up deals for used ryzen 3600/5600, B450/B550 and DDR4, should be cheap atm

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Clint being brought low by a 90s inkjet is something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aoBK-K_K-Y

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Branch Nvidian posted:

Clint being brought low by a 90s inkjet is something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aoBK-K_K-Y

This was an extremely frustrating watch, but was worth it to hear Clint say "What the dick" in exasperation

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

and would be just fine with a low-end iGPU-only laptop as long as it would run their One Game.

The coolest thing about having Runescape as my One Game was this. I could go to anyone’s house and know their crusty desktop/laptop could run that chunk of coal.

I built a $1.4k computer for a friend and it’s funny how much of his time is spent playing Football Manager, too. How CPU heavy is that game compared to your standard issue Paradox mapgame? I know the latter will take as much CPU you throw at them, but I dunno about FM.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Processor and Ram for FM. They're just big ol' spreadsheet games

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I wonder how many people out there play games on their smartphones (and/or tablets, I guess? how big/small's the tablet market these days?) who would have been console gaming in the past.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

buglord posted:

The coolest thing about having Runescape as my One Game was this. I could go to anyone’s house and know their crusty desktop/laptop could run that chunk of coal.

I built a $1.4k computer for a friend and it’s funny how much of his time is spent playing Football Manager, too. How CPU heavy is that game compared to your standard issue Paradox mapgame? I know the latter will take as much CPU you throw at them, but I dunno about FM.

More CPU can actually be a quality of life improvement anyway. January 2021 I upgraded from an i5 Haswell to a 5800X and was shocked how much faster some webpages loaded, because of the gigantic amounts of bullshit that so many webpages do behind the scenes. It annoys me because I sure don't feel like I'm getting commensurate increase in web functionality to account for that discrepancy, but of course it's not about me, it's about the loving advertisers

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

More CPU can actually be a quality of life improvement anyway. January 2021 I upgraded from an i5 Haswell to a 5800X and was shocked how much faster some webpages loaded, because of the gigantic amounts of bullshit that so many webpages do behind the scenes. It annoys me because I sure don't feel like I'm getting commensurate increase in web functionality to account for that discrepancy, but of course it's not about me, it's about the loving advertisers

if you aren't adblocking on PC you are living life wrong

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Palladium posted:

I adblock and javascript block, it makes a huge difference, even if some sites you have to poke at scriptblocker to make them usable.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Palladium posted:

This was with adblocking.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

If it wasn’t for the socketable CPU in my T420 still not being fast enough for web browsing, despite upgrading it to a i7-2620QM with double the number of cores, maxing out the memory and getting an SSD, I’m pretty sure I could still be using it as a daily driver.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If it wasn’t for the socketable CPU in my T420 still not being fast enough for web browsing, despite upgrading it to a i7-2620QM with double the number of cores, maxing out the memory and getting an SSD, I’m pretty sure I could still be using it as a daily driver.

Have you tried putting coreboot on it to get the ability to cram an Ivy Bridge processor in there? I picked up a SFF ThinkCentre to move all my server duties to have some separation from my TrueNAS device, which means I should put in some effort to Do Linux to get the hang of things. I had an old T420 in the closet with a spare mainboard if I really screwed things up, but I got it working like a charm with an RPi. A lot of the manuals out there say you have to remove the CPU and remove the magnesium frame to get at the SOIC package, but you can actually access the flash chip with through hole test points that are accessible through the back.

Got Fedora 39/40 on there to start with Plasma and it's been problem free for regular laptop stuff. We'll see how it goes once I try to get a handle on running stuff in containers with Podman, but it's way more usable than I was expecting. I already have a T480s I use for sane use cases, but I just love the aesthetics and build of the older Thinkpads and am sorely tempted to get a new battery and a screen upgrade. I was thinking just 1080p, but apparently you can now get a 1440p panel in there which is just hilarious to me.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
IDK if it goes here, but this loving sucks, I was like 80% of the way through that video that was taken down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNnUZvG7DyA

And it was a really good one, that interrogates the modern consolidated games journalism landscape.

There's a reason why I never ever ever click on a *rant website after searching through an issue on google.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
how weird this free speech thing is a laughable joke under monetary interests

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

IDK if it goes here, but this loving sucks, I was like 80% of the way through that video that was taken down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNnUZvG7DyA

And it was a really good one, that interrogates the modern consolidated games journalism landscape.

There's a reason why I never ever ever click on a *rant website after searching through an issue on google.

It's already being re-uploaded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rcTi54dlTg

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

thankye

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Oh wow, I haven't looked at some of these sites forever and I didn't know valnet owns collider, android police, makeuseof, howtogerk and even (lol) the richest

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I think Valnet acquired most of that portfolio relatively recently. Right now there's a huge push for big owners to snap up websites and consolidate them, and once that's done they start squeezing those outlets and all their workers for value. More content, faster content, just pump out algorithmically generated SEO'd garbage and sell ads or flip them to other investors. I think that was was Gamur's original plan with The Escapist, get some metrics to a certain value, then sell to someone else who would make use of the brand.

But the thing is, you absolutely can make sustainable amounts of money from google adsense revenue + some additional income streams like patreon and twitch and merchandising. That's literally Defector's and Second Wind's strategy. Or that of other big Youtubers like Linus. But that strategy won't grow forever to making infinite amounts of money, and so won't excite the balls of hedge funds and private equity and venture capital investors, so they refuse and just leave money on the table until their venture collapses and they lose their shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

Have you tried putting coreboot on it to get the ability to cram an Ivy Bridge processor in there? I picked up a SFF ThinkCentre to move all my server duties to have some separation from my TrueNAS device, which means I should put in some effort to Do Linux to get the hang of things. I had an old T420 in the closet with a spare mainboard if I really screwed things up, but I got it working like a charm with an RPi. A lot of the manuals out there say you have to remove the CPU and remove the magnesium frame to get at the SOIC package, but you can actually access the flash chip with through hole test points that are accessible through the back.

Got Fedora 39/40 on there to start with Plasma and it's been problem free for regular laptop stuff. We'll see how it goes once I try to get a handle on running stuff in containers with Podman, but it's way more usable than I was expecting. I already have a T480s I use for sane use cases, but I just love the aesthetics and build of the older Thinkpads and am sorely tempted to get a new battery and a screen upgrade. I was thinking just 1080p, but apparently you can now get a 1440p panel in there which is just hilarious to me.
I did consider it, but ultimately the price for the CPUs in the Danish market, combined with the amount of work I'd have to put in to get it to work (up to and including buying a spare motherboard, as I wouldn't wanna modify the backup T420 I already have) meant that it was almost as expensive as buying a used T480s - and all it'd get me is ~12% more single-threaded performance for the CPUs I could find.
I definitely love the T420 aesthetics too, it's the last generation to have the old IBM Redbook look with a 8-row keyboard.