Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

slidebite posted:

How do you use a mini unit in an interior room with no exterior walls?

Is this not as simple as running the lines to an exterior wall? It's more work than starting with an exterior wall, but crawlspaces/attics are meant for this kinda thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

The Illusive Man posted:

I bought a NH-D15 in 2017 and it’s pretty awesome that I was able to use it in my new build this summer with only needing a simple adapter. Noctua is still unmatched as far as longevity and long-term support, but they’re definitely due for a refresh of the D15 in the face of current competition.

In 2018 I actually went back and bought an NH-D14 because I wanted to see how far my old LGA1366 Xeon would go. When I built an AM4 system several months later, all I had to do was email Noctua the proof of purchase and they sent me a bracket. A newer model with the same footprint might perform better, but it turns out that a 220W-rated cooler is still way overkill for a 5800X3D even if it was originally released in 2009. If Noctua keeps putting out brackets then it might one day follow me again to a third system.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Rawrbomb posted:

You put way too much faith into the "just trust me bro, we don't need a warranty" man.

That whole fiasco was because Linus clearly didn't get the importance of having a warranty; he said multiple times that he didn't think they mattered, in the face of Luke and others arguing with him.

He appears to understand the importance of disclosing your sponsors and has gone out of his way to make the point that he does it, so this would be less of a "I don't care so why would anyone else" mistake and more of a "I know people care so I'm going to hide this" deliberate lie. Now, you might think he'd act from malice too but it's different from saying "we already know he makes dumb mistakes".

I think it's reasonable to argue that he knows people would react badly to this and probably wouldn't think the risk is worth it, even working from a purely selfish perspective.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 6, 2023

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Koskun posted:

It's worse than that. His whole reason why he wouldn't offer a warranty on the backpack was, and I'm paraphrasing here because I don't care to soil my youtube algorithm with Linus anything by finding the direct quote, "because every company only offers warranties so they can deny them".

So yes, rather than be better than "every other company out there" and offer a warranty unconditionally, he just piled on the bullshit. On the spot when he did the whole "trust me bro" poo poo, sent out an email/txt to have a t-shirt made with the "slogan".

I mean, I don't really see that as meaningfully different from how I described it. He said he wasn't offering warranties because they aren't worth anything in his view (e: specifically, because forcing compliance on a company which does not wish to honor them is infeasible). I don't agree with him but I think since he seems to believe that and is happy to say it on camera, not offering his customers the thing he just said is worthless is fairly consistent and not really an indicator of dishonesty by itself.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 7, 2023

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Cross-Section posted:

No, my first PC was an i7-950 :haw:

I was 17 when I joined the forums.

Excellent generation. I bought an i7-920 for Christmas 2008 and it was rock solid for several years until I started tinkering around with cheap Xeons from eBay and discovered I could get an X5660 to 4.6GHz if I put a huge Noctua cooler on it. I used that all the way up until 2018 when I replaced it with a Ryzen 3700X, and my younger cousin is still using it today. It's starting to run into a wall with new games because it lacks AVX support, sadly.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, the LGA1366 cooler was a bit bigger and at least had a slug of copper in the center. I remember it being fine for light overclocks on my 920 (like, 3.5GHz). I actually swapped back to it when I upgraded because Noctua gave me an AM4 bracket for the NH-D14 and Westmere runs cooler than Nehalem, so the X5660 is still running fine with a light overclock using the 920's cooler as well. The D14 was made for >200W loads, so despite being an ancient model it's very much overkill for my 5800X3D.

The LGA115x cooler is indeed pretty dinky though. I use them on 65W and lower chips because they really don't need more, and because these days I generally have those old platforms doing things where they are mostly idle anyway. It was unfortunate that Intel sold them for so long with 95/85/77W chips which really benefit from more.

I see the Wraith Prism as being more like the 920 cooler - you won't set any records on it, but if you're staying at stock on the chip that comes with it you'll be perfectly fine and using it is an acceptable way to go with a budget build since you can always upgrade later. Really, it's what a stock cooler should be.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 9, 2023

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
My dad was very much into personal computers as soon as he could get one so my family got an Apple IIe when I was a toddler, a Mac LC-II when I was around 5, a Packard Bell Pentium 75MHz when I was around 7, a Dell P2-350 a few years later, and another Dell Willamette+RDRAM P4 (oof) when I was a teenager. My perspective on all these at the time was that they were incomprehensibly complex and expensive, and therefore never to be opened or altered by my child hands. My allowance would have taken several years to replace one, so at least the second was true.

I was interested in learning how they worked though, so at some point after the P4 my dad gave me the option to spend $50 of allowance on a decommissioned Compaq P2 desktop from a state surplus sale. I jumped on this and immediately stole the sound card from the old P1 desktop, as it was also a 14.4 modem and let me give my new desktop some timeslots on the family's dial-up subscription. I ended up spending a hundred bucks or so adding more RAM and a GeForce 4 MX to this system so I could play awesome games like MechWarrior 3.

My parents wanted to send me off to college with a nice new system and I wasn't really confident enough to build one, so I convinced them to get me an Alienware desktop with a Pentium 4 (Northwood, whew) 3.0GHz and a Radeon 9600 XT. I immediately learned about this cool "overclocking" thing and got the CPU up to 3.6, started replacing the heatsink and fans, etc. and by the time I felt like I could justify another desktop a few years later I was more than confident enough to build it myself then.

I buy prebuilts if I need an appliance for a specific purpose and they provide a better deal than something I can build myself on parts, but my main desktop/ gaming machine tends toward a PC-of-Theseus which somewhat precludes prebuilts.

My dad is retired and doesn't want to mess with tinkering, so he and my mom each just have a couple of Thinkpads and if they have any issues they can't figure out they call me. They do their best with a fair bit of competence and regardless I'm eternally grateful for the smooth onramp they gave me into this vocation/hobby, so I am happy to field calls from them.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I mean, I think you should be honest with yourself - if you are watching ad-supported content and running an adblocker, you are fundamentally leeching off of the system. I place myself squarely within this category and don't mind it a bit because I want the ad-supported ecosystem to die and be replaced by something better, but I can understand a YouTube creator calling out this same basic fact and saying they don't like adblockers from a position of their own rational self-interest.

It's a little bit different for YouTube vs. podcasts as far as I understand it because YouTube has more direct metrics on how many ads actually reached a user browser, and therefore it is possible for a significant share of users running adblockers to directly cause a proportional share in payout reduction. With podcasts I would assume your payments are based on a combination of referrals and subscriber/listener count, as there's no direct way for the advertisers to know how many users listen to a given ad.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 22, 2023

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

wargames posted:

linus really told the company to put in effort for this laptop review with 4 different hosts and alot of charts from "labs" wonder why he didn't do the same for other laptops?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUCm4wKarpQ

Hmm, that is odd. Maybe Linus says something about it himself in the video? Why, he does!

Linus from around 0:35-1:05 posted:

"Trying to be objective doesn't change the fact that I have a vested interest in Framework's success, which makes reviewing their products a bit tricky. So, I don't want you to take my word for it. The rest of the script, I haven't even read it. To recuse myself from our review: Alex, our resident laptop connoisseur; Jake, who actually holds an active Framework 16 preorder; and John, from the lab, will tell you all about it. Both the good, and the bad. [crosses fingers] Uh, fingers crossed that they [ed: presumably Framework] haven't bit off more than they can chew with this thing."

Pretty sure the labs stuff is new at least in part because the labs themselves are new. The review is overall positive but not really glowing - it calls out the keyboard flex and screen quality as substantial pain points which potential buyers should watch out for.

I guess you could say that Linus should ignore Framework's existence from a content perspective if he wants to remain truly objective while being invested in them, but - considering that part of the point of the (not very large, at least initially) investment was to promote the mission of repairable hardware - keeping it quiet seems a bit contrary to that.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

BobHoward posted:

Investing in any hardware manufacturer, no matter what the reason, means he and his organization can't really do objective reviews of anything Framework sells. It was a poor ethics choice, but that's typical of Linus.
That's a reasonable opinion to have, but considering Linus's transparency about the whole affair I thought it was pretty funny for the poster I was quoting to be like "hmm why didn't Linus just review this one himself?"

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

kirbysuperstar posted:

It was sarcasm

Yes, that was rather abundantly clear to me! I just thought it was an odd joke, that's all. Like, he's not hiding that he has an investment in Framework. If you want to call that out every time he mentions them from now on, knock yourself out I guess but it's not really news unless it seems to be affecting the coverage somehow.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 24, 2024

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Branch Nvidian posted:

Right to repair! with our specialized replacement/upgrade modules that no one else makes

I mean... it's an incremental step towards the ideal, not the ideal itself. I'm not really sure what you would have expected here - should Framework have secured commitments from motherboard manufacturers to make and distribute multiple generations of motherboard through retail channels? You'd still have Framework manufacturing the chassis, then - should they have gotten a second laptop manufacturer to commit to making entire laptops along the same standards as competition?

I don't think there's anything actually stopping motherboard OEMs from making boards to fit Framework shells, or conversely making shells to fit Framework boards. It seems like the barrier to a wider ecosystem is mostly just lack of demand because it's an expensive and niche product.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 24, 2024

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Arivia posted:

I think one of the LTT videos, the one where Linus did an upgrade in a booth at a trade show, showed off a case for a Framework board that CoolerMaster was working on.

Yeah, I knew about that but I thought it might be an explicit collab with Framework so I wasn't sure if it was indicative of a wider policy on 3rd-party accessories. However, with motherboard standards primarily being a matter of "the screws go here, the ports go here, these are the dimensions" it's hard to see how Framework could restrict them using IP law, and furthermore it's hard to see why they would think it's a productive fight to have. I'm sure they would love for other companies to go "We like what Framework is doing and want to make products for their ecosystem" - at least, as long as those products are properly labeled high quality ones and not counterfeits or trash.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

The Grumbles posted:

I think Framework is more about customisability than repairability. It's obvious they're going for the PC builder crowd (hence linus getting involved), but as people have said it's a specific modular type thing. It's not like they've helped bring about some kind of industry standard.

On their own, they can't bring about an industry standard because you'd need more of the industry than a single company to do that. Saying they haven't "helped" really depends on whether it leads to anything more or not, because if it does then they have. That's up to other companies to follow their lead, though.

I agree that much of the product appeal and marketing is based on customization, but I don't know how much that matters if the final result is also more repairable and reduces e-waste. Folks can buy it because it lets them have the ports/bezel they want, and then later they can keep it longer because it lets them swap out a broken port or upgrade to a new generation of CPU.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

The Grumbles posted:

Maybe!

Do they do any kind of environmental reporting? I wonder if there's more of a carbon footprint in making all of this stuff individually and modularly vs just producing a regular laptop.

Along those same lines, considering people typically hold on to laptops far longer than, say, their phones, I wonder if having a kind of laptop that incentivises people to upgrade on the reg also ends up creating more e-waste and/or has a worse environmental impact more generally. Like, breakages notwithstanding, most people I know hold onto their laptops for a very, very long time, or they hand them down to a family member (maybe with an aftermarket battery repair). Going from a games console to a gaming PC definitely incentivised me into buying lots more poo poo that I absolutely do not need.

Yeah, there's a sustainability page featuring a 3rd party life cycle analysis of the 13" laptop with i5-1240P: https://frame.work/sustainability

It doesn't get into upgrades, but I'm not sure how many people are upgrading to new generations like clockwork considering the motherboard+CPU are most of the cost of the laptop.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

evobatman posted:

Framework has the repairability of a Thinkpad or Latitude from 2003, and the rest is hype.

When I worked for a computer manufacturer, our business line computers had parts available anywhere on Earth on the next business day for 5 years after the last one rolled off the assembly line after their 18 month production cycle, then available within 5-7 business days for another 18 months. The computers were designed so that the lowest bidding service provider could have their tech grunts replace any parts within 0.5-10 minutes with a single screwdriver on the laptops, or mostly without using tools on the desktops. Even after the 8 year official life spans you can get new old stock parts on eBay or used from recyclers, which I'm sure someone interested in wanting to repair their own computer would know how to do.

Framework is nothing but marketing an idea that has existed for decades, but with a worse and more expensive implementation.

Kinda hyperbolic, and also the point isn't just repairability but also being able to upgrade to a new MB/CPU with the same chassis. Thinkpads and Latitudes have never allowed this as far as I am aware.

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is going to be just one little weird laptop company making its own little modules, not actual parts that interoperate with other arbitrary parts. Now, if Dell and HP and Apple etc. all adopted this as a standard and started manufacturing according to it? Sure, that would be awesome, but it's a loving pipe dream.

They'd have to start at "one little weird laptop company making its own little modules" no matter where it ends up, but I don't see why it's a foregone conclusion that they will fail and I'm not sure why it's so imperative that other companies make modules for them to succeed. It's not like Dell has a special proprietary USB port that you could mod onto your Thinkpad.

Like, the whole personal computer segment started out as a niche product and look at where we are now. Desktop standards were something that happened incrementally, often starting out as "well this company does it this way and they won't/can't sue us so let's do that too" which is exactly the position Framework holds. Why so negative?

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 25, 2024

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Cyrano4747 posted:

Because it's a niche within a niche within a niche. The number of people who want to, or will get value out of, being able to replace their CPU is tiny.

The vast, vast majority of people already don't replace the CPUs in their desktops, and that's an environment where things happened to pan out to where it's a pretty easy option (from the enthusiast standpoint). The bulk of non-enterprise users who have a use case for a desktop wouldn't notice the difference between a fully modular, well built normal PC and an iMac or one of the various dell etc iMac-alikes.

Considering the success of AM4 and the 5800X3D, I am skeptical that upgradeable CPUs are a nonstarter as a market. They haven't been very successful with Intel for the last ten years, because it turns out that when you only allow one generation of upgrades on a motherboard and the replacement chip has the same core count with minimal IPC improvements, people usually just ask "what's the point". Give people real options to upgrade to something that's actually a lot better, and those options are popular!

Also, the dynamics of desktops and laptops are different here. If you're buying a new CPU and MB you almost might as well just build a whole new desktop, then swap over your GPU and monitor. On a laptop, conversely, swapping over the GPU and monitor is impossible... until now!

quote:

That's all well and good but that is an incredibly bespoke part. You have one supplier, and if they don't make what you want you're SOL. It's not that Dell and Apple need to make parts that are comparable, it's that people besides Framework need to. If I want to replace the GPU in my desktop I have dozens of OEMs and board partners to choose from. There's a certain degree of competition over both price and features. And all of it is broadly inter-operable because they're all working from the same basic standards.

I mean, I keep saying - a standard has to start with one product. It's absolutely no surprise that the first generation of Framework add-in GPU has only one supplier - the point is that there will be more models in future generations, and if NVidia or Intel Arc board partners want to get in on it they can.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, the lower performance issue (and thickness, actually) is why CAMM is a thing - I am sure Framework is looking at it.

It's a valid design decision to solder/glue it all together to make it as thin as possible, and lots of folks will go for that - look at iPhones. Personally, I'm the kind of weirdo who misses my old Nexus 5X which was put together with screws instead of glue and could have a battery swapped in 10 minutes or a screen swapped in 30. I accept that the kind of product I want will be niche among smart phones if it exists at all, but my hope is that the different nature of the PC ecosystem will make it easier to carve out a segment for devices which thrive on modularity.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Those are only a success within the enthusiast market.
So what? I'm not saying that Framework is going to crush Apple and Dell like ants because everyone wants this, I'm saying that I think there's enough demand for upgradeable and modular products if they're done right to sustain them as a discrete sector.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 25, 2024

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

The Grumbles posted:

The PC building market is already very precarious with super thin margins (see all the GPU manufacturers going out of business). As much as I'd love to see enough PC builder weirdos out there also want to be laptop weirdos, I don't see it. It's cool, but I don't think it'll ever become a standard in the way you describe. People who want to upgrade stuff because they want the bleeding edge also want to shove in as many fans as whatever to get the highest FPS possible, not have to worry about power efficiency too much, all that stuff. Doing this with a laptop means you're always stuck with a set of weird compromises. This seems like a fun toy for tinker hobbyists but it's not a standard.

More to the point though, in 2024 a standard doesn't start with one product. In fact, it probably cant. This isn't the 1970's, where one weird product takes off and an industry forms around it. If you look at any new tech standard, it comes from a years-long beuracracy powered by consortia of the world's biggest tech companies, alongside research bodies and maybe even government funding (and in the case of USB-C, the legislative body of an entire continental bloc). Matter (a new smart home interoperability standard) is a good example - there's not some single launch product. It's the result of years of careful negotiation and coordiantion between big global players. Even then, Matter is being undermined in various ways by the competing interests of tech companies. USB-C took decades to be adopted, and even that's a mess of different nomenclatures and compatibilities. Never gonna happen off the back of a niche hobbyist laptop company. The only reason we even have standards in the PC building space is because of the way x86 computing has slowly evolved in a mostly unbroken line since 1978, and ATX took off in an era before things like SoC's and all-in-one soldered laptop designs. Sorry!

I think in general we're going to have to agree to disagree because so much of this is based on our variable definitions of success and vague bellyfeels about what gets you there, but it's really weird to cite USB-C as an example of "new standards don't start with just one product" because USB-C is a feature in a new version of an existing, very established standard which is maintained by a multi-company standards group. It's not surprising at all that it would take a while to get going and would have lots of adopters out of the gate. ATX is similar, although it came from Intel specifically - it's AT that was a de facto standard based on a particular IBM chassis.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Sure, but that's an argument against needing to buy new laptops at all - not just a problem for Framework specifically. They aren't trying to encourage their user base to buy new motherboards every generation like clockwork, they're just giving you the ability to laptop-of-Theseus by replacing only the chassis when it's worn out, or replacing only the CPU/MB[/RAM] when you want a performance upgrade. If you want to take the pragmatic business perspective, this improves user lock-in by making it cheaper/easier to just repair/upgrade a Framework laptop that you already have compared to buying an entire new laptop.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If you buy a cheap laptop, yes. If you are buying a Thinkpad/XPS/Macbook, quite possibly not. Also, some users would prefer to keep the "same" machine and not have to migrate data/settings.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
It's great that it's that simple for your workflow, but some folks install applications with detailed configuration which might not necessarily be carried over by the OS's cloud backup. The fact that you don't deal with it doesn't mean it's "not a thing".

e: Like... seriously, that's just an ignorant thing to say. Windows does not automatically reinstall apps for you unless they're from the MS app store. None of those apps that you reinstall manually will already be configured unless they store config in your Documents folder or something else that carries over (assuming you set up OneDrive, too) - not AppData. Virtual machines won't be there either... the list goes on. Linux users, what are those? I'm happy for you that life in Macland is so simple but come on.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 25, 2024

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Bro, I bought a new laptop a few months ago and it's a Thinkpad because I got a really good deal. You can see my posts about it in the laptop thread if you really want. I'm not personally invested in Framework's success by any metric, I just think it's a good idea. The single counterexample of Matter does not prove anything about how a different product in a different market will succeed or fail, which is what I meant by "vague bellyfeels". We're all just going to have to see what happens, but the fact that they're on a third generation of Intel and have added AMD motherboards as well as a larger chassis since starting makes me slightly optimistic.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 25, 2024

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I think you're talking past me at this point. I'm not saying that Framework is going to take over the world. Even if 99% of people don't know or care that they exist, I'm saying there's enough of a niche for them to exist. Look at System76 if you don't believe that niche laptops can exist and even thrive.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 25, 2024

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

tracecomplete posted:

It's been a while - does System76 actually make computers now, or are they rebadges?

If they're adding enough value to Clevo rebadges to sell them at a large enough margin to make a sustainable business out of it, I'm not sure why it matters. What proportion of PC vendors actually own the factories making the laptops? (e: Better way to ask it, what proportion of PC laptops are sold directly by their manufacturer?) How many factories does Apple own?

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 25, 2024

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Right, and I don't dispute that it's a good faith question - but my point is that even with just a custom (sort of, since it's open source) software stack and support for it System76 is adding enough value, for their customers, to make a sustainable business out of doing what they're doing even though they're a very small fish in the pond. The way they add that value isn't based on custom hardware designs, so yeah if you want that you'll have to go somewhere else... but Framework doesn't even have that problem, so I'm not sure how my overall point of a niche laptop vendor being viable is affected.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

020824_2 posted:

233.33% YoY price increase on Youtube. 3% inflation.

I wonder how much money they're spending on trying to break adblockers run by people who will never pay them.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

priznat posted:

Jim Keller’s wife is Jordan Peterson’s sister and I have always been afraid to know anything at all about Keller’s views on stuff not chip design related.

I watched it and thought most of what Keller had to say about processor design and AI was pretty insightful or at least interesting, but there were a few off-topic statements/opinions that had me somewhat skeptical. Nothing heinous, more just amusing. The one that stands out most was him saying something Elon Musk being an on-the-ground expert on a wide variety of technologies, right after saying how much he loved his two Tesla cars and how he uses FSD daily.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Just Another Lurker posted:

Can't believe Intel stopped making the NUC, my Skull Canyon is still rocking like a champ since 2016. :shrug:

I got a Broadwell i3 unit around 10 years ago and it's still doing great. I assume they stopped because they were always more interested in jump starting the mini-PC segment as a way to sell more CPUs than they were in actually selling mini-PCs. Now that a number of other OEMs are making very similar units, they're happy to drop it.