Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I never played DAoC until last year, but I always wanted to play it when it was brand new and I was in high school. I just wish I could play it today without getting loving ganked in the PvP zones. Just let me level up in peace. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
So what's the deal with old characters that haven't been played in ~15 years, has poo poo been retained or have all my dudes been wiped into oblivion somewhere along the way?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

They should still be there. I think if you look on the official site there is a process to find them.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

I said come in! posted:

I never played DAoC until last year, but I always wanted to play it when it was brand new and I was in high school. I just wish I could play it today without getting loving ganked in the PvP zones. Just let me level up in peace. :mad:

Darkness Falls is bad about that.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I was most proud of my dude's name, Gimped Nerfed.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I can't decide between enchanter or skald.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

vandalism posted:

My biggest issue with daoc was that eldritches got a stun and wizards got a flimsy root. That used to frustrate me.

I used to get angry about the Armsmen's crossbow skill being neglected. I mean yeah they're supposed to be tanks but you could still sink all your points into it like any other skill. Considering how important ranged combat was in rvr it seemed like a glaring design mistake. Of course there were plenty of design mistakes to choose from, that one ended up being my white whale because I invested so much time in that class.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Kazvall posted:

Chanter is boring.

3566 accounts were created during the stress test this weekend! So hyped!

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

I used to get angry about the Armsmen's crossbow skill being neglected. I mean yeah they're supposed to be tanks but you could still sink all your points into it like any other skill. Considering how important ranged combat was in rvr it seemed like a glaring design mistake. Of course there were plenty of design mistakes to choose from, that one ended up being my white whale because I invested so much time in that class.

That's.... yeah.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Kazvall posted:

Skald. Nousername (I think that's his sa name) and I are rolling mid.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I'll definitely be rolling something on Midgard.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
2500 on at server up.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
I'm going to give Phoenix a try. Never played daoc before, would anyone mind giving me a short list of decent/ easy to play caster and melee for each realm? Can I make classes from different realms or am i locked into a realm once I choose a class?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Ugh I’m having a real hard time choosing what realm/class to play.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

HotBobaloo posted:

I'm going to give Phoenix a try. Never played daoc before, would anyone mind giving me a short list of decent/ easy to play caster and melee for each realm? Can I make classes from different realms or am i locked into a realm once I choose a class?

Pretty sure you're locked into one realm, that's how it usually is.

As far as easy, casters aren't necessarily that when you're brand new. Enchanters (pet, mezs, point blank aoes) and Eldritch (long range spells and targeted aoe spells, can also use point blank aoe) for the easier Hibernia casters. Albion has Wizards (similar to Eldritch) and Theurgist (summon temporary pets that attack the target they're cast on, has pulsing spell that can absorb 1 hit from spells or melee know as PBT). Midgard has Runemasters (similar to Eldritch, PBT) and Bonedancers (Can have 4 pets healer/dot/nuke?, instant lifetap).

Thanes (hybrid lightning caster/melee tank) are a great choice to start out as or Skald (instant cast songs group buffs, mez, stun and nukes/melee).

I don't feel like typing out the others but there's a small summary. There are other casters as well but these ones I would consider a bit more beginner friendly.

Here's a video that might be helpful too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jFHdeqrLQY

Forgot to mention I started on Midgard as a Healer named Budz. I'll probably be on later if you start Midgard and need any guidance.

Opinionated fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 14, 2019

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002

Opinionated posted:

Pretty sure you're locked into one realm, that's how it usually is.

As far as easy, casters aren't necessarily that when you're brand new. Enchanters (pet, mezs, point blank aoes) and Eldritch (long range spells and targeted aoe spells, can also use point blank aoe) for the easier Hibernia casters. Albion has Wizards (similar to Eldritch) and Theurgist (summon temporary pets that attack the target they're cast on, has pulsing spell that can absorb 1 hit from spells or melee know as PBT). Midgard has Runemasters (similar to Eldritch, PBT) and Bonedancers (Can have 4 pets healer/dot/nuke?, instant lifetap).

Thanes (hybrid lightning caster/melee tank) are a great choice to start out as or Skald (instant cast songs group buffs, mez, stun and nukes/melee).

I don't feel like typing out the others but there's a small summary. There are other casters as well but these ones I would consider a bit more beginner friendly.

Here's a video that might be helpful too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jFHdeqrLQY

Forgot to mention I started on Midgard as a Healer named Budz. I'll probably be on later if you start Midgard and need any guidance.

Thanks for this. The video should help me choose.

Troll
Jan 15, 2012
Never played this game (I was on the Everquest / UO train back in the day). Gonna try out Phoenix. Is anyone here currently playing on there?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

clone on the phone posted:

Ugh I’m having a real hard time choosing what realm/class to play.

Me neither. Leaning towards Enchanter. I'll probably decide by tomorrow. All I know is the starter areas are gonna be loving camped so I'm not missing much.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How does Phoenix compare to live? What is missing since it’s suppose to be based off an older version of DAoC?

Troll
Jan 15, 2012
I picked a healer named Cast. Got to 12 by AOE'ing some sort of floating sea creatures. Does this game have diminishing returns on AOE stun? Right now I'm dumping all my points in the buff line, with one point in the targeted slow for pulling.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Troll posted:

I picked a healer named Cast. Got to 12 by AOE'ing some sort of floating sea creatures. Does this game have diminishing returns on AOE stun? Right now I'm dumping all my points in the buff line, with one point in the targeted slow for pulling.

In terms of PvE, each time you stun a mob past the first time, the stun duration is going to be halved. In RvR, when someone is stunned, after it wears off they will have stun immunity for a minute.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Troll posted:

You are best off getting like 15 points in Pacification and then do whatever with the rest. This gives you the 2nd power regen buff to cast on you and group mates. 18 in Augmentation gives a 20 second castable group haste as well.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

I said come in! posted:

How does Phoenix compare to live? What is missing since it’s suppose to be based off an older version of DAoC?

There's none of the Catacombs expansion, Atlantis trials and probably some other expansion I don't remember. There's still teleporters, free respecs til 50, tinderbox buffs and other quality of life improvements as well. The exp gain seems pretty fast overall, I got a Thane to 17 in 2 hours last night in a group. The population so far is great. I saw like 2,700 on today at 2pm PST, dropped to around 1800 as the euros logged. That's something the live servers lacked a bit ago was population, not sure what it's like these days.

I'll be on as Lahey, Harriet or Budz on Midgard in a bit if anyone wants to group or has questions.

Opinionated fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 15, 2019

Troll
Jan 15, 2012
Do I need to mindlessly AOE grind for EXP until 50, or is there some sort of low level PVP I can do to level?

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

Gotta grind too 50. There is the classic 20-24 battleground but it has been all Skalds and Shadowblades (people playing solo) everytime I have checked /who thidranki

Anyone who is soloing should peep http://playphoenix.wiki/collection-tasks-midgard/ and seek them out for huge xp bonus'. There are some restrictions though, you can only turn in 10 of any given item per character (can sell or account vault extras for alts). You can only turn in 10 items of any sort per level. That's half a level of xp every level and you grind the other half while moving around chasing the items so it kinda keeps you busy. As a Runemaster its faster levelling than an above average group, probably slower than a 2+ pbaoe machine but yeah I aint seen many of those.

https://imgur.com/a/wXweVmX

Jessant fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 15, 2019

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I'm rolling a bonedancer on midguard because I make poor choices and want a little squad of skeletons to help me level.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm a sucker for MMOs and I always wanted to play this as a kid, but never got around to it. so I don't know dick about this but it looks pretty dope, what is the closest to a Priest/Cleric or offheal/buffer, like EQ Cleric or Shaman? it sounds like all the goons are Midgard which is a faction right?

is there a wiki for this old version of it anywhere?

Troll
Jan 15, 2012

Frog Act posted:

I'm a sucker for MMOs and I always wanted to play this as a kid, but never got around to it. so I don't know dick about this but it looks pretty dope, what is the closest to a Priest/Cleric or offheal/buffer, like EQ Cleric or Shaman? it sounds like all the goons are Midgard which is a faction right?

is there a wiki for this old version of it anywhere?

Based on my limited experience now in PvE groups:

Healer is Cleric/Enchanter
Shaman is Shaman/Druid

* There are some weird overlaps in class skills vs talent skills. E.g. if you go the mending route on Healer, you get several single target heals that are all only subtly distinct. In some cases one will be way better in every way except a slightly longer cast time, etc.

** Saw a goon squad guild running around but they didn't respond to me

Troll fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 16, 2019

Troll
Jan 15, 2012
Just discovered there is a /challenge mode you can use also and now I want to do a 1-50 exclusively challenge mode. Enemies hit hard as hell and you have to CC. Guess it raises the exp cap.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Troll posted:

Shaman is Shaman/Druid

* There are some weird overlaps in class skills vs talent skills. E.g. if you go the mending route on Healer, you get several single target heals that are all only subtly distinct. In some cases one will be way better in every way except a slightly longer cast time, etc.

Theyre not goons

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Whew boy this game is convoluted, anyone have a good beginner's guide?

Troll
Jan 15, 2012
I can now confirm that pre max level PvP is just as bad as every other mmo. Was killed by a group in a 20 something dungeon before they actually rendered.

I'm level 26 now, not sure what level they were, but it was death in a single attack so I gotta hope it was a high level.

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

They would have to be level 45+ to cross the middle of Darkness Falls into an enemies entrance area yeah. On Friday DF access becomes based on who has the most keeps and getting to go ganking on the other side while there are still enemies in there becomes a rare exception, with a server wide warning message they are coming.

Jessant fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 17, 2019

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Troll posted:

Shaman is Shaman/Druid

Baseline vs spec

Baseline spells are always wildly less efficient than spec. Spec also plays into variance in healing on base lines. Spec heals always heal for a set amount.

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Playing on Hibernia on Phoenix server. Level 30 champion name Ralconn if anybody wants to group or needs help.

I'll eventually make characters on other realms probably if the server maintains popularity.

EDIT:
Solo leveling info to help everybody out: https://www.reddit.com/r/daoc/comments/agmg6o/phoenix_a_psa_to_solo_xpers/

Ralconn fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 19, 2019

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Playing a chanter on hib. Got to level 27. In game name is the same. I got into a large guild(synergy). No idea if I'll stay but it's fine for now. Do we have enough goons to make a guild?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Rolled up a warden called Hip. Let’s form a gang.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I got the itch bad today. I reactivated my account on the live server... anyone around?

Edit: thought better of it and rolled on Phoenix. My name on there is Cymrik. Gonna try a mentalist.

vandalism fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 23, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

vandalism posted:

I got the itch bad today. I reactivated my account on the live server... anyone around?

I was wondering how many people jumped off the live servers to go play Phoenix. I kinda wanna play on Live if everyone went over to Phoenix. :homebrew: Free uncontested reign over the PvP zones, unlimited quick leveling up without fear of getting ganked. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I was wondering how many people jumped off the live servers to go play Phoenix. I kinda wanna play on Live if everyone went over to Phoenix. :homebrew: Free uncontested reign over the PvP zones, unlimited quick leveling up without fear of getting ganked. :D

Well, I started a sub but I wanna play where the most people are so I'm trying phoenix now. I wanna feel the feels of 01.