Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Joe Fisto posted:

We are getting an actual Disney crossover in the "What If Donald Duck was Wolverine" so its possible

Isn't that just Sabretooth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gologle posted:

OK now I'm going to post an even hotter take: Godzilla alone can solo most superheroes

As seen in the marvel Godzilla comic

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Just read the first Immortal Thor TPB. Ewing is really good at getting to the heart of misunderstood characters: I went into Immortal Hulk not really caring about Hulk, only for him to become one of my favorite characters, and it seems like the same thing's happening here. Ewing manages to get that clever mythological allegory tone perfectly.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm randomly reminded of one of the first comics I ever read. My grandma took me to an actual comic book store to buy comics then. It was at the end of Civil War and I didn't know what to get, i just grabbed anything which sounded interesting. or just came out. I grabbed the infamous Frontline where Cap is criticized for not having a Myspace. I remember posting about this on CBR, transcribing the relevant page for people.

What a way to start.

Needless to say the first digital comics I got around the same time(maybe a year or something later) - JMS' Supreme Power - was a lot better. I loved that short story. I think it impacted how I see superheroes and what I want out of the best superhero stories. "What does it even mean to be a superhero?" I notice classics like Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen also ask this. man of Steel also was all about this which is maybe why I loved it more than some.

Anyway, just a bit of thinking back on my history with comics. A pretty rough start there that got a lot better.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Hey now, Ben managed to escape being trapped in a hole with dog.

Way late but strong guy did this with a dog in the subway. An xfactor annual I believe. Broke my young heart too

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Way late but strong guy did this with a dog in the subway. An xfactor annual I believe. Broke my young heart too

Strong Guy might just be the very worst mutant alias

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The Grumbles posted:

That's why Guido is the loving best.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its the best worst alias.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

The Grumbles posted:

That was pretty much why he picked it

edit:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Never mind

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Strong guy looks like a rob liefeld invention

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

90sgamer posted:

Claremont and Sienkiewicz baybee.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Caught up on Immortal Thor. Ewing has some serious Morrison-sized balls, especially with the Roxxon one-shot. Also, some small miracle he can deliver things like this arc in Thor or the whole Leopards Eating Faces gag in Immortal Hulk without it feeling too "tuned-in".

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

90sgamer posted:

Not enough pouches and shoulder pads.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

mutantIke posted:

Caught up on Immortal Thor. Ewing has some serious Morrison-sized balls, especially with the Roxxon one-shot. Also, some small miracle he can deliver things like this arc in Thor or the whole Leopards Eating Faces gag in Immortal Hulk without it feeling too "tuned-in".

i think the roxxon one shot makes it clear that ewing is very online even if he doesn't post on a public facing account anymore

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I just read FF#16 and in isolation the pitch of "the Fantastic kids mess up a high school science assignment, hijinks ensue" is something I couldn't be less interested in reading. In the hands of Ryan North it was, like the rest of his run, an absolute delight.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I remember I hated new X-Factor at first and didn’t read the issues even though they came in the comic pack my stepdad always bought me , because the 05 version was my favorite at the time. Luckily before too long I figured out it was really good actually and went back and read them.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Goddamn Ultimate Spider-Man is really good. Reminded of some the best issues of the original series where an entire issue could just be a conversation and also be so great.

I can't believe that Harry of all people is the one to drop the line on Peter. Man I hope he stays a good guy unless Hickman has even something better planned for him.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

mutantIke posted:

Loved that he literally flagged every ad page. And even broke kayfab to say to the reader "no, the corporation making this comic is not an exception."

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

X-O posted:

Goddamn Ultimate Spider-Man is really good. Reminded of some the best issues of the original series where an entire issue could just be a conversation and also be so great.

I can't believe that Harry of all people is the one to drop the line on Peter. Man I hope he stays a good guy unless Hickman has even something better planned for him.

That was a really REALLY good issue, where not much really happens and yet there's this sort of tension around the whole dinner, most of it emanating from Peter and Harry.

It's very impressive they've made Harry a menacing Luthor type, is it just me or will Peter end up having an affair with Gwen? Was I the only one picking up vibes like that?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jiro posted:

That was a really REALLY good issue, where not much really happens and yet there's this sort of tension around the whole dinner, most of it emanating from Peter and Harry.

It's very impressive they've made Harry a menacing Luthor type, is it just me or will Peter end up having an affair with Gwen? Was I the only one picking up vibes like that?

Not picking anything remotely close to that up at all.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
This is a stupid question, how do you guys keep track of release dates? I'm pretty new to comics and have no clue when anything is coming out. Had no clue the next USM was even available

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

mutantIke posted:

This is a stupid question, how do you guys keep track of release dates? I'm pretty new to comics and have no clue when anything is coming out. Had no clue the next USM was even available

I use this site

https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comics/new-comics/2024/04/24

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The weekly shipping thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617711&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

mutantIke posted:

I just check Amazon/comixology on Mondays to see what’s coming out this week

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I use the app from this site on my phone to mark the books I want so I know what's coming out every week.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Thanks. Now I can stop going to the shop and cluelessly going "uhhh I THINK I have something in my box" and then the guy pulls out a single issue of Ultimate X-Men and I have to pretend I came with the intent of buying one copy of Ultimate X-Men and nothing else

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

mutantIke posted:

This site is great. It is also helpful to check out variant covers before release.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Spacebump posted:

It is also helpful to check out variant covers before release.

oh look there's 9 different choices for a naked lara croft for a book called con artists and a very bad realistic gwenpool variant for deadpool

e: i guess tbf none are as bad as that jackpot/black cat cover

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

site posted:

oh look there's 9 different choices for a naked lara croft for a book called con artists and a very bad realistic gwenpool variant for deadpool

e: i guess tbf none are as bad as that jackpot/black cat cover

Lol, sometimes variants are cool though. I love the 90s card variant covers for X-Men. Also a big fan of any Ultimate Spider-Man variants that depict Peter doing mundane dad things. Having power info on the back like the 90s cards rules. Was disappointed the Marvel Masterpiece Card variants didn't do the same.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They brought back Night Thrasher?

There’s a girl Night Thrasher?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Years ago! In an Al Ewing written tie in to a mobile game that was way better than he needed to make it!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gripweed posted:

There’s a girl Night Thrasher?

Night Thrasher has been back for years at this point. And Silhouette has been a character since 1990.

Girl Night Thrasher. Next thing you know they're gonna go and make a Girl Hulk or Girl Wolverine.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This week's Avengers really makes the fact that we're going straight from Fall of X into Jed McKay's Vampires Event seem kinda

I mean, I don't wanna say dire because it might be entertaining, but back to back events sure is a thing

(Also when did Herc get back from loving around in space?)

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

X-O posted:

Night Thrasher has been back for years at this point. And Silhouette has been a character since 1990.

Girl Night Thrasher. Next thing you know they're gonna go and make a Girl Hulk or Girl Wolverine.

Not gonna lie, I was kinda bummed when the most recent She-Hulk series hit legacy #181 and she didn't fight Laura for no particular reason.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

X-O posted:

Well pardon me, your majesty, for not knowing about Night Thrasher supporting characters.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Spacebump posted:

It is also helpful to check out variant covers before release.

When I was catching up on Immortal Thor all the store had were variants which kinda sucked because why would I deprive myself of Alex Ross art (same goes for FF)

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

X-O posted:

I heard that Ike Perlmutter was really pushing for a character called Girl Thrasher, but I don't think the character was supposed to be female.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gripweed posted:

Well pardon me, your majesty, for not knowing about Night Thrasher supporting characters.

Not knowing a character is fine, but earnestly using Girl ____ to describe a character is the kind of poo poo we see CG assholes doing and you don't want to find yourself lumped in with that lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

X-O posted:

Not knowing a character is fine, but earnestly using Girl ____ to describe a character is the kind of poo poo we see CG assholes doing and you don't want to find yourself lumped in with that lot.

I simply avoid being lumped in with that lot by constantly complaining that Marvel never does gay food comics.