Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

in England they spell it “grouk”

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
i'm glad the juicero dev got hired by tesla to work on their cyber frunk

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

fritz posted:

in England they spell it “grouk”

grœk

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

shackleford posted:

hmm whatever happened to that attorney who was representing like hundreds of laid off twitter engineers who got screwed on severance (and maybe RSUs?) and was publicly threatening musk that she'd file individual arbitration claims for each one, costing musk millions in arbitration fees

i'm assuming since we haven't heard anything about that lately that folks got paid and NDA'd

nope!

twitter refused to pay the arbitration fees, so the arbitration company refused to take the cases

so the workers filed a lawsuit, suing to either force Twitter to pay the arbitration fees or to waive the arbitration requirement so that they can litigate their severance directly in court

it's been slowly grinding its way through the court system ever since

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

imo if they don’t pay arbitration fees they should just get a default judgment against them

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

turns out a legal system based on “surely the two parties are acting in good faith to reach a mutually beneficial resolution” doesn’t work when one of the parties is Elon musk

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Eeyo posted:

imo if they don’t pay arbitration fees they should just get a default judgment against them

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shackleford posted:

hmm whatever happened to that attorney who was representing like hundreds of laid off twitter engineers who got screwed on severance (and maybe RSUs?) and was publicly threatening musk that she'd file individual arbitration claims for each one, costing musk millions in arbitration fees

i'm assuming since we haven't heard anything about that lately that folks got paid and NDA'd

last i heard she made good on her threat, so twitter a. didn't respond and b. complained about the unfair avalanche of arbitration requests in federal court lmao

of course the court told them "too bad, you explicitly chose this" and ordered them to pay fees for dodging arbitration, but idk where it went from there. it pretty much dropped off the radar, and one of the worst parts of arbitration (other than it routinely loving the little guy) is that there's no public record

at least a few of the dodged arbitration cases got turned into a federal action though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Main Paineframe posted:

nope!

twitter refused to pay the arbitration fees, so the arbitration company refused to take the cases

so the workers filed a lawsuit, suing to either force Twitter to pay the arbitration fees or to waive the arbitration requirement so that they can litigate their severance directly in court

it's been slowly grinding its way through the court system ever since

ahh efb

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

build quality is suspiciously good here :thunk:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

https://x.com/elon_alerts/status/1786979140161138991

computer, engage jive to English translation matrix

WOR-KING

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

he's the only one who can be the master of poo poo posting. she's just taking attention away from him.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Here's the most recent article I could find about the twitter severance lawsuits:

https://archive.ph/h6tdL

quote:

Elon Musk is set to be deposed on Monday as the first arbitration hearings get underway involving thousands of former Twitter employees who say they were cheated out of severance pay when the billionaire bought the social media company in October 2022.
The lawfirm of Lichten & Liss-Riordan sent an email to the former Twitter employees who are participating in a class action lawsuit, asking for ideas for questions to ask Musk in the deposition. The deposition will be in-person and last for seven hours, according to the email, which was reviewed by Bloomberg.

if you enjoy elon being miserable, I imagine a 7 hour deposition will cheer you up

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

wake up new elonbot video dropped

https://x.com/Tesla_Optimus/status/1787027808436330505

he claims they're already installed in his factory doing what no industrial robot has ever been able to do before: put cells into a battery casing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i like how they Admitted It and sped the video up 300x halfway through

what a piece of poo poo. this is doable with 99 bucks of poo poo from adafruit

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Luigi Thirty posted:

he claims they're already installed in his factory doing what no industrial robot has ever been able to do before: put cells into a battery casing

Beside the fact this would be better handled by a purpose built machine, also I'd bet they were just smarter about putting the man puppeting it properly off camera this time, unlike that folding demo.

EDIT: nevermind you can see them in the pan shots later in the video, lol.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 5, 2024

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's kinda funny when you think about how much they would need to reduce the cost of these things for them to be price competitive with a non-unionized auto worker

then again, maybe they'll make up the difference on the labour suits they'll no longer have to fight

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Luigi Thirty posted:

I like all the loving idiots in VR sorting batteries. Imagine you're playing Job Simulator 12 hours a day for a stupid piece of machinery.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

can't wait for them to go all in on a humanoid robot assembly line and go bankrupt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/montreal-man-on-the-hook-for-thousands-of-dollars-after-a-feature-on-his-tesla-caused-an-accident-1.6873830

Montreal man on the hook for thousands of dollars after a feature on his Tesla caused an accident

George Ghazzoul is warning other drivers about the new Smart Summon feature on Tesla vehicles after his self-driving vehicle side-swiped another in a parking lot.

When Ghazzoul bought a Tesla two years ago, he admitted it wasn't just the car's style that drove him; it was his love of technology.
"Really, the selling point for me is the fact you get software updates and you always get new features on the car," he said.

One of the latest downloadable features is Smart Summon.

Like a valet service, it allows your car to come to you using your phone's GPS as its target destination.

Ghazzoul decided to give it a try on April 10 when he was at the Fairview Shopping Centre parking lot.

He used the feature to summon his parked car to pick him up.

"I was within range when I activated it," he said. "I saw it moving initially, but then it took a sharp turn right instead of pulling out of the spot first." He tried to deactivate the feature, but the car didn't stop in time, so he ended up sideswiping the car parked beside it.

The estimate for damage to both cars was several thousand dollars. Ghazzoul contacted Tesla about the accident.

He said since it was their feature that malfunctioned, they should take responsibility, but he said they told him to contact his insurance company instead and that it was not their problem since he activated the feature.

His insurance company, meanwhile, said he was fully at fault for the accident.

What's worse for Ghazzoul is that he has since discovered that it wasn't even legal for him to use this driverless feature in public spaces in Quebec.

"The rules were written before the technology existed," according to George Iny, the director of the Automobile Protection Association.
He said that it's up to drivers to know the rules of the road, including the fact that parking lots are considered public spaces and, therefore, this technology should not be activated.

He said, however, that it's also up to manufacturers to communicate this to their customers.

"There is also the issue of the ethical and moral compass of a company that sells you a feature that is no good to you, where the car is going to be registered and doesn't bother to tell you don't use this," said Iny.

He added that manufacturers could also not activate such features in markets where it would not be allowed.

Tesla did not respond to CTV's request for an interview.

Ghazzoul said that while he is relieved no one got hurt, he's now left to pay for the damages himself so that his insurance premiums don't go up. He says he feels disappointed with Tesla.
"There's no information on where to use it and where not to use it," he said.

He wants to warn other Tesla drivers not to make the same mistake he did, and check first before taking new features out for a test drive.