Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BonHair posted:

How are you stocking up for two weeks, some of your greens are gonna go bad (in the sense of bad taste) in one week max, not to mention fish. I go a few times per week probably, but also like two bags max at a time.

Canned and frozen vegetables don't go bad. Fresh ones would, but buying fresh vegetables at the average suburban supermarket is a fool's errand anyway. You want tomatoes that taste like damp carboard? No, of course not, but that's all that Safeway is selling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

BonHair posted:

How are you stocking up for two weeks, some of your greens are gonna go bad (in the sense of bad taste) in one week max, not to mention fish. I go a few times per week probably, but also like two bags max at a time.

i really feel like the crazy one here.....if i buy fish i dont plan on using right away i freeze it, and the greens are not perfect but theyre usually fine.

alot of frozen food and proccessed garbage....has no one in this thread ever shopped for an entire family?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

i really feel like the crazy one here.....if i buy fish i dont plan on using right away i freeze it, and the greens are not perfect but theyre usually fine.

alot of frozen food and proccessed garbage....has no one in this thread ever shopped for an entire family?

Sir this is c-spam, having kids is bougie

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

i think it's just the upper limit of 20 that's throwing some people off, 20 bags is a lot of bags

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Surely 20 bags of cup noodles should take you through more than two weeks. Shop smarter not harder.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

:d2a:
I like my food fresh, which means not frozen for no reason, not processed and not canned in general. And I also have two kids and a wife who like the same? It's not even hard, just 5-10 minutes extra on my 10 minute bike ride home.

Also more importantly, how do you buy enough snacks for two weeks without eating it all in 3 days?

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i think it's just the upper limit of 20 that's throwing some people off, 20 bags is a lot of bags

If you shop for household supplies like soap and paper towels/tp not to mention dog food it's not too hard to achieve, especially with the flimsy plastic bags that are still used here in the South. I did grow up in a family of 8 though so 20 doesn't seem that crazy to me.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

hypoallergenic cat breed posted:

If you shop for household supplies like soap and paper towels/tp not to mention dog food it's not too hard to achieve, especially with the flimsy plastic bags that are still used here in the South. I did grow up in a family of 8 though so 20 doesn't seem that crazy to me.

ok

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

I sympathize. I do. But this is the statement you made:

The Nastier Nate posted:

for decades, not having a car just meant you had to lug bags back and forth on the bus and make several trips just to get a weeks worth of food.

as opposed to just buy 20 bags of groceries and putting them in the back of your giant SUV.

at least now, with stuff like instacart that's kind of changing as the carless can get groceries like a normal human being.
This is objectively incorrect for a ton of people, not only around the world, but in the U.S. as well. For decades, as well as decades ago (depending on how many, I suppose), walking or using public transit to get provisions to last for a few days for a family had not been, and still isn't for a huge portion of families in urban areas, a big deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNghp9tPXjo

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

BonHair posted:

not to mention fish

lmao

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So all these companies pointing to AI as the future, citing companies like Amazon using it to track groceries and not needing a cashier as the computer can just figure out what someone picked up. It turns out AI really means a bunch of barely paid people in India watching camera footage and marking what a person bought. The real innovation was finding a way to trick people into accepting outsourcing human face to face interaction

Dr. VooDoo has issued a correction as of 15:23 on Apr 24, 2024

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

zzzzz what else is new

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

sorry you're too good for the fruit of the sea, cowmouth

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

It's very easy to get groceries without a car when your neighborhood isn't specifically designed to make you need a car to get groceries.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Facebook Aunt posted:

Canned and frozen vegetables don't go bad. Fresh ones would, but buying fresh vegetables at the average suburban supermarket is a fool's errand anyway. You want tomatoes that taste like damp carboard? No, of course not, but that's all that Safeway is selling.
the Campari tomatoes at Safeway are fine, as are the kumatos

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

i walk to the chinese grocery store a block away each day to buy fresh food for whatever i want to cook that day, i can't imagine driving my huge truck to the grocery store to buy 20 bags worth every 2 weeks wtf

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I just duck into Costco each evening on my way home from work to pick up a ten pound bag of onions, a two pound vat of spinach, a five pound bag of rice, and ten pounds of chicken thighs

Does anyone else here actually have a hungry family to feed?

Only have to pick up the three gallon jug of teriyaki sauce on Tuesdays and Thursdays

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

the milk machine posted:

i think they put gps locators on the things these days

a lot of them have electronic brake things that stop one or more of the wheels if they get too far from the store

oh no a shopping cart with a non functional wheel what on earth will i ever do in the face of this unique never before experienced problem?!

backpacks ftw

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i think it makes people leave the cart instead of stealing it, so it's good you follow the rules

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Iirc they're relatively easy to jailbreak if you know which end of a soldering iron to hold

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

What if you just pick the cart up and carry it over the line in the parking lot, what if that

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

i was at a safeway where every cart's wheel locks had been triggered, and the unlock keys were lost.

it was like a post-apocalyptic highway scene, but with shopping carts.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

Iirc they're relatively easy to jailbreak if you know which end of a soldering iron to hold

The answer is the middle part btw

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
heading to the grocery store to sideload the tiktok apk onto all the shopping carts

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

What if you just pick the cart up and carry it over the line in the parking lot, what if that

thta usually works as does a magnet

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

the milk machine posted:

heading to the grocery store to sideload the tiktok apk onto all the shopping carts

Playing Doom on the carts surely

Apr 24, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 20:51 on Apr 24, 2024

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

042424 posted:

doom on the carts for 3 YEARS straight

Doom has been on carts for way longer than that

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

fanfic insert posted:

oh no a shopping cart with a non functional wheel what on earth will i ever do in the face of this unique never before experienced problem?!

backpacks ftw

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Bagpilled carrymaxxing. Real grocerycore poo poo.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

The Chairman posted:

sorry you're too good for the fruit of the sea, cowmouth
lmfao you mean too broke

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fish are literally free, you can just loving take them out of the ocean, nobody is going to stop you.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

every week i drive my cube van to costco, load up on rotissery chickens and drive them home - i spend every waking moment of the next week eating them bones and all

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

drat I drive a perfectly spherical van

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shame Boy posted:

Fish are literally free, you can just loving take them out of the ocean, nobody is going to stop you.

The fishing cops will stop you. Duh.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

blatman posted:

every week i drive my cube van to costco, load up on rotissery chickens and drive them home - i spend every waking moment of the next week eating them bones and all

this u?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FeHRHEevnI

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Facebook Aunt posted:

The fishing cops will stop you. Duh.

don't gently caress with dnr

How!
Oct 29, 2009

My grocery store sucks they have nothing, except randomly they’ll have like a dozen pineapple plants. No pineapples to buy, mind you; but you can buy a pine apple plant and just loving do it yourself.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

The Pope, Catholic!

Bears poo poo in the Woods!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Here's why that's a bad thing...."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

i dunno. i buy 2 weeks of groceries that i usually stretch to 3 weeks that is primarily fresh produce. by strategically eating things, i can eat produce the whole time, but i also have hydroponics for peppers, tomatoes, leafy greens.