Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Back in 2000, I really regret wishing on that monkey paw for a new Ghostbusters film but with the guy from Wet Hot American Summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I like Rudd, but I find him very hit or miss with his movie choices.

In afterlife I think he is great, same in almost 40 and Wanderlust. But I hate his MCU work and a lot of his smaller roles.

Oh, I do enjoy him in friends too.

I'll be watching this tonight and I'm not expecting much based on the thread of reviews I've seen, but I love Annie Potts, I miss Ramis, I love all the original cast tbh and just seeing them having fun is all I want I think. The new members have been very hit or miss for me too, Finn I find very annoying and don't rate as an Actor but McKenna has been great in everything I've seen her in so far.

A little nostalgia but I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking.

Ragnar Gunvald fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 22, 2024

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Actually double post, but I was watching a clip from the late show with Seth Myers the other day (we don't get those shows in the UK) and I found out loving James Acaster is in this and that really bummed me out. He's a poo poo comedian and do not get why he would have a role in this. Perhaps better IMO if it went to John Oliver or someone more deserving.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I liked it! Some definite holes and pacing issues but it’s good dumb fun.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That's exactly what I want out of a Ghostbusters movie.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Actually double post, but I was watching a clip from the late show with Seth Myers the other day (we don't get those shows in the UK) and I found out loving James Acaster is in this and that really bummed me out. He's a poo poo comedian and do not get why he would have a role in this. Perhaps better IMO if it went to John Oliver or someone more deserving.

I'm hoping he gets terrorised by a spectral Rowan Atkinson.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I'm kind of insufferable with my taste in comedians - I enjoy stand-up, but if you're on panel shows and stuff, you're probably not a stand-up I'd enjoy, so I don't really know who James Acaster is.

I'm with you on Rudd, whose whole persona seems to be that he's kind of charming, but outside of thinking he's great in Wet Hot American Summer and getting a lot of laughs from me in the "Celery Man" sketch, I can't say I care for him. I understand Murray has checked out and I've cooled on him since some on set behaviour from him in recent years became public. So that leaves Ackyrod and maybe Kumail Nanjiani that I'm interested in seeing in this, and the later is mainly based on The Big Sick and his X-Files podcast. Patton Oswalt I used to like more and I liked in Young Adult, but I find anyone who does the "professional nerd" thing really off-putting. If the Stranger Things kid is smart enough to know he has a relatively small window to make bank as "the eighties kid" before retiring, good for him.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 22, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s trying to be a director now which is cool.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

CelticPredator posted:

I feel like that would suit him better tbh and me too as I don't really want to see him on screen that much. He's ok, but I don't think he's good enough to really make it "big" long term.

I agree with the previous comments about Murray too, I loved his previous work, almost all of it. But the stuff that's come out about him in recent years has left a bad taste in my mouth..

I get the whole "it was a different time" argument but that doesn't really mean I need to also be comfortable with it. I'm still a big fan of his older work, like Groundhog day and Scrooged etc but I couldn't really see myself going out of my way to see him in anything non Ghostbusters related these days as he just seems like a massive twat.

RE James Acaster, he's far more of a stand up guy than a panel show guy, at least in the UK as far I know, but I just don't "get" him, even as a Brit.

My comedy is more John Oliver, Jimmy Carr, Jim Jeffries theses days and I just think Acaster is far, Fae, far too dry even by British humour standards..

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

CelticPredator posted:

Finn Wolfhart? (I genuinely forgot his name in the previous post). Good for him, he certainly seemed to become a bit typecast.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah. He finished some movie and trying to get it distributed or something.

He’s good when he can be funny. Itchapter 1 was the first and only time he impressed me but thats more on that character vs the other characters he plays.

Mike from stranger things kinda sucks and Finn agrees too lol

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
See, I really didn't like him in IT. I wasn't overly impressed with that film at all other than Pennywise himself. I much prefer the original though

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I think all the young actors avail themselves okay in the recent IT films, its more that he's really, really associated with 80s nostalgia bait now.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
James Acaster isn't really doing his schtick in this. He's mostly just kind of a Egon type nerdy scientist dude.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

James Acaster isn't really doing his schtick in this. He's mostly just kind of a Egon type nerdy scientist dude.

I think Acaster is fine either way :shrug:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think Acaster is fine either way :shrug:

I agree, but if people aren't fond of his comedy stylings, he isn't really going for that here. I enjoyed him in the role.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I prefer ‘real’ Acaster to his standup persona. He’s great on his Off Menu podcast and Taskmaster.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I like Rudd, but I find him very hit or miss with his movie choices.

Oh, I do enjoy him in friends too.

I would gladly pay full Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire ticket prices to watch Paul Rudd and Hank Azaria duke it out over Lisa Kudrow's affections.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

The_Doctor posted:

I prefer ‘real’ Acaster to his standup persona. He’s great on his Off Menu podcast and Taskmaster.

Oh! I enjoyed the Garth Marenghi episode of that, but that was probably more to do with the guest.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Bring Matt Berry in as Oscar, accent, age-weirdness, and all. Just ignore everything that doesn't make sense, and have him call Bill Murray "Father" repeatedly.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1771265649660035332

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I'm just waiting for the film to start with baited breath...

The wife has booked an extra fancy cinema too which doesn't feel right for Ghostbusters. It's really loving nice, but because of my expectations of the film, it feels all kinds of wrong right now.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I'm just waiting for the film to start with baited breath...

The wife has booked an extra fancy cinema too which doesn't feel right for Ghostbusters. It's really loving nice, but because of my expectations of the film, it feels all kinds of wrong right now.

It'll be my first 4DX film, so if it pisses me off, I can get even more pissed off by my chair rocking and getting mist and cold air blown at me and die of apoplectic rage while Patton Oswald says "They can FLY now?!" as the Lord intended.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I really liked this movie overall and liked it WAY better than Afterlife, which I found fairly uninteresting. This feels like a feature length episode of the Real Ghostbusters animated show and while it's a tad exposition heavy, I loved the vibe and story it was telling.

Melody, the ghost girl who is secretly working for the villain is a very cool character and her chemistry with Pheobe was really fun and makes her somewhat predictable betrayl plot work better.

Ray getting to get some actual solid screen time as a part of the story is lovely. Seeing Akyrod get the twinkle in his eye when he gets to say weird supernatural mumbo jumbo is lovely

LOVE the Possesor ghost, especially when it's the trashbag. Also loved the subtle return of Slimer. Much better than the weird cameo they gave him in the 2016 film. Sadly no Muncher to be found

Did have a few nitpicks though.

The plot conveniently finding a way to have Podcast and the girl character whose name I still don't remember from Afterlife also be in NYC just feels stupid. They don't add anything to the overall film, and didn't need to be there. Having them there means that Finn Wolfhard still doesn't get much to do as Trevor and he could be doing what those characters do in this film with no real change.

Letting Janine get suited up and get a cool wrist mounted proton blaster only for her to use it once for about a second then never again feels like a waste of Annie Potts. Basically Ray is the only legacy character who is an actual part of the plot, with Winston getting honorable mention.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Been hyped up all day and watched all the films today before going to the cinema, wore my shirt, the cinema was cool they had a local GB group turned up with an Ecto One. I got a collectible cup, the cinema really pushed the boat out making it feel special for the opening weekend, all the music inside was soundtrack from the 84 and 89 films.

Unfortunately I hated it. There were a few nice ideas and a couple of scenes I liked but in general I felt it dragged far too much. I hope I like it more on rewatch at home without any distraction but right now it's a bit of a letdown.

Just to add I wasn't hyped for Frozen Empire to be amazing or anything, I just wanted it to be more of a Ghostbusters film than Afterlife. It is, but it definitely left me cold.

Bacon Terrorist fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 23, 2024

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Been hyped up all day and watched all the films today before going to the cinema, wore my shirt, the cinema was cool they had a local GB group turned up with an Ecto One. I got a collectible cup, the cinema really pushed the boat out making it feel special for the opening weekend, all the music inside was soundtrack from the 84 and 89 films.

Unfortunately I hated it. There were a few nice ideas and a couple of scenes I liked but in general I felt it dragged far too much. I hope I like it more on rewatch at home without any distraction but right now it's a bit of a letdown.

Just to add I wasn't hyped for Frozen Empire to be amazing or anything, I just wanted it to be more of a Ghostbusters film than Afterlife. It is, but it definitely left me cold.

Couldn't agree more. I loving hated it. The directing wasn't bad, the music was classic and fitted perfectly, the acting was all great as expected but oh my god, holy poo poo, the writing and pacing of the film is awful. Its up there with the all female cast film as the worst one.

I loved afterlife, it felt new and fresh but kept the charm while being entirely new. This just feels too new without the charm and writing and humour and like it was crowbarred into the 80s version. It just didn't work at all.

Dan.A was great, McKenna was great, Murray was pointless, Potts was a missed opportunity.

I bloody hated Acaster. They could have easily dropped him and have on the older Afterlife characters fill that role which would have made far more sense considering etc etc.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
I saw it! I saw it! I saw it!

It's not a great movie, but it's great fun.

It seems like Jason Reitman and Gil Kenan have sort of realized they'll never quite get the vibe of the original back, particularly if Murray won't star, so they're simply making adventuresome movies with spills and chills and spookiness and teamwork and heart. "Afterlife" and "Frozen Empire" are the kinds of movie that would have played beautifully in the 1980s.

I enjoyed every minute. Old characters, new characters. (I thought the balance worked, I didn't feel like anyone was short-changed.)

I think you need to be in a certain breed of Ghostbusters vibe to enjoy this as much as I did — you have to really enjoy technobabble and Aykroydian ghost mumbo-jumbo, this time without Murray around to deflate it quite as often. Oh well.

My quibbles:

— I didn't like the cinematography as much this time around, I particularly didn't like the sort of floating drone camera they use a lot.
— I felt the film was lacking in authentic New York vibe which I was hoping to get. To be fair, New York these days is also missing that.
— Perhaps not a spoiler but to be safe: So we're just never going to delve into any more of the emotional issues of Egon not being part of Callie's life… how all that backstory happened… that chapter is just over and all is forgiven, and we the audience have to fill in any blanks. Okay.

On a scale of “Ray, this looks extraordinarily bad” to “We came, we saw, we kicked its rear end,” I give it a “We have the tools, we have the talent!”

And gentlemen, it is my solemn duty to inform you that it’s Millah time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Did have a few nitpicks though.

The plot conveniently finding a way to have Podcast and the girl character whose name I still don't remember from Afterlife also be in NYC just feels stupid. They don't add anything to the overall film, and didn't need to be there. Having them there means that Finn Wolfhard still doesn't get much to do as Trevor and he could be doing what those characters do in this film with no real change.

I actually liked Podcast becoming Ray's sidekick, they work well together. Ray needs another weirdo to work off, someone who 100% buys into his weird stuff and just runs with it. That used to be Egon but, well ...

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The more I think about it, I think the main problem with Frozen Empire for me personally is the focus mainly being on interpersonal relationships within the team. I totally understand why that was done and almost had to be done following from Afterlife but as said that isn't really the vibe of Ghostbusters for me, i'd rather all that was shelved in favour of a lot more of the good stuff but I know it was integral to the plot.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I actually liked Podcast becoming Ray's sidekick, they work well together. Ray needs another weirdo to work off, someone who 100% buys into his weird stuff and just runs with it. That used to be Egon but, well ...

Yeah, that kinda worked and he was one of my favourite characters from the last film. He did kind of fill in rays role in that one now that I think about it.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
Put simply, these movies have gotten more sentimental as time goes on.

GB1 had a delightful vibe of just hanging out and goofing off, it wasn't until the closeup of Venkman when he thinks Dana's dead that emotions like sadness/heartbreak/pain entered the equation.

GB2 made the Venkman-Dana relationship more mature, introduced a baby to the cast and of course brought in the dimension of good vibes among humanity. I suspect you can trace a lot of that to Ramis, who of course displayed his social conscience in his work and in his interviews.

GB2016 put a lot on the plot between Erin and Patty, their friendship and the schism, culminating in that moment where one dives to save the other. You'd never have had that in the original films with the guys.

Afterlife of course was firmly in the Spielberg/Amblin vein of things with the family plot and with bringing in what the movie industry calls 'heart', and I think that's where Jason Reitman and Gil Kenan are more comfortable anyway.

The 1984 film is special because it didn't have time for 'heart' in that way, it was too busy with 1980s things like making money and smoking; Venkman would have laughed in the face of it all. But we live in imperfect times of caring and sentiment and going on social media to proclaim that you have empathy. Oh well.

Back when "Seinfeld" was created — and that was much closer to 1984 than 2016 — they famously made a little rule for themselves, "No hugging, no learning." The original Ghostbusters is very much a "no hugging, no learning" film. In GB2, New York hugs and learns, even if our characters mostly stay on the level (till Stantz and Janosz at the end, ha). In everything after that, our characters both hug and learn—I'm sure we see Ghostbusters in uniform hugging each other in all the modern films.

Icon-Cat fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 23, 2024

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Icon-Cat posted:

Put simply, these movies have gotten more sentimental as time goes on.

GB1 had a delightful vibe of just hanging out and goofing off, it wasn't until the closeup of Venkman when he thinks Dana's dead that emotions like sadness/heartbreak/pain entered the equation.

GB2 made the Venkman-Dana relationship more mature, introduced a baby to the cast and of course brought in the dimension of good vibes among humanity. I suspect you can trace a lot of that to Ramis, who of course displayed his social conscience in his work and in his interviews.

GB2016 put a lot on the plot between Erin and Patty, their friendship and the schism, culminating in that moment where one dives to save the other. You'd never have had that in the original films with the guys.

Afterlife of course was firmly in the Spielberg/Amblin vein of things with the family plot and with bringing in what the movie industry calls 'heart', and I think that's where Jason Reitman and Gil Kenan are more comfortable anyway.

The 1984 film is special because it didn't have time for 'heart' in that way, it was too busy with 1980s things like making money and smoking; Venkman would have laughed in the face of it all. But we live in imperfect times of caring and sentiment and going on social media to proclaim that you have empathy. Oh well.

Back when "Seinfeld" was created — and that was much closer to 1984 than 2016 — they famously made a little rule for themselves, "No hugging, no learning." The original Ghostbusters is very much a "no hugging, no learning" film. In GB2, New York hugs and learns, even if our characters mostly stay on the level (till Stantz and Janosz at the end, ha). In everything after that, our characters both hug and learn—I'm sure we see Ghostbusters in uniform hugging each other in all the modern films.

Great post!

Watched this last night and I don't know why it's being lambasted. This is not a 4/10 movie, it's solidly 7/10. It has some good laughs (mainly from Kumail) and I thought they did a great job of making the villain scary. Everyone looked like they knew they were screwed at the end.

I think it's main problem is that there are too many people and they're stretched too thin. Why the hell is Lucky in this? What did she bring to the table? Same with Podcast, you could delete them both and have a better movie. Even Wolfhard has very little to do, this is the Mckenna Grace movie. And she's great!

Venkman is such a shame. His throwing pens at Kumail was fun, and when he shows up right at the end he just has THAT unmistakable Venkman energy. For a moment, it's like he hasn't aged at all. But it's just a cameo and pointless for him to be there. But you know what, I can't blame him. I bet Murray HATES standing around reacting to a CGI ghost, which is all he did at the end. He can't stand it, but that's modern movies for you.

Another problem is that this IS a modern movie. I'm something of a scriptwriter myself, and you have the FORMULA. Break into 2 here, dark night of the soul there, and EVERYONE arcs. Ghostbusters 1984 had no time for that, there are no arcs in the film, no lessons to be learnt. But here, you can almost hear the writers: "OK so what does Kumail learn by the end?" Imagine if they gave Louis Tully an arc. So I guess that's the main problem: there's too much going on and it's modern and polished. It needs a bit more cynicism and for the cast to be cut in half. Seriously what did the mom do in this?

I really liked it when Ray (everything with Ray is great) was in the library, that was good stuff. Although they didn't need to animate the villain's backstory (but again this is a modern movie so we can't just have someone TELLING a story here! Show it! With animation!).

Umm, where was I? Yes I'd rewatch it, and I'd be down for a longer/better cut in future. Better than Afterlife.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Oh and I didn't click those spoilers from a few pages ago that you were all melting down about, and going back to read them and they're FAKE hahaha

EDIT: Also, I enjoyed the cold open. Much better than the 2016 cold open but that bar was so low it was in the basement

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
I’d give this the edge over Afterlife, simply by virtue of it being slightly less masturbatory, but it’s not very good. As others have said this is juggling far too many characters (with the returning cast from Afterlife, larger roles for Aykroyd and Hudson, and the new characters played by Nanjiani and Emily Alyn Lind). The villain isn’t properly introduced until the third act, with little to no stakes up to that point, and the finale is so small-scale as to reek of budget cuts. The effects are good, though

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I think I liked this more than Afterlife, but I think Afterlife got a lot of stuff out of the way to allow this to work. It doesn't seem to rely on "memberberries" quite so much though, and doesn't feel saccharine. It's waaaaaay to overstuffed with characters and sub-plots, some of which go nowhere am I mistaken or does James Acaster just sort of disappear after being slimed? Podcast and the red-suit girl are just sort of there, and Melody feels almost completely unnecessary. which also slows the middle-third of the film to an absolute crawl. Its, crucially, also never funny. It's like, Marvel movie funny at best. The villian shows up far too late, and while that's also true of Ghostbusters '84, that had stronger characters, performances and a better arc.

That said, I had fun, and I think this is worth seeing, but I'd grade it on a curve of, like, Marvel movies instead of a grade of classic comedy/horror movies.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alan_Shore posted:

Oh and I didn't click those spoilers from a few pages ago that you were all melting down about, and going back to read them and they're FAKE hahaha

One would think we would have learned to stop believing PriorMarcus' spoiler claims about movies and TV shows by now.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ghost girl thought
Ghost girl had ghost flames and the evil ghost god was weak to fire. If you told me that Kumail Ali Nanjiani's character was a last minute addition to cover over the parts of the movie they were told to cut out to get rid of the obvious love interest for Phoebe I'd have no reason to doubt you.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I really think Kumail wasn't needed at all personally. You could have cut him, he wasn't funny. I really do not get the appreciation for him.

I agree with the comments about too many characters, plots, arcs etc going on. I still think it seriously lacked charm. I will be giving it another viewing at a later date to make sure my mind is made up and give it another chance though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timby posted:

One would think we would have learned to stop believing PriorMarcus' spoiler claims about movies and TV shows by now.

I don't associate this person with spoilers in anyway so idk why I would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I really think Kumail wasn't needed at all personally. You could have cut him, he wasn't funny. I really do not get the appreciation for him.

#KumailsBit