Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
This was cute and Ray Parker Jr sounds just like he used to. I chilled out on my love for Bill Murray lately but its nice to see him have a fun time with this franchise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXNOTEQaOa0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't care about any other spoilers, but I have to know if the earlier spoiler, posted last page, is true or not.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CelticPredator posted:

Session is a good word to describe it.

Is that word not commonly used to describe screenings in your neck of the woods? It's pretty standard here in Australia https://www.hoyts.com.au/session-times

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

Session is a good word to describe it.

That guy at LOVE LIES BLEEDING had a whole meth rig going, I guess here it's just the slimer themed Icee?

Kevyn posted:

Hopefully it fixes the freezing issues

Boo!!!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Bacon Terrorist posted:

IGN just reviewed Frozen Empire 4/10.

Most reviews are sitting around that spot that I've seen. That said, I've booked 4DX tickets for me and my dad who took me to see Ghostbusters 2 back in the day and will try and put myself in the mind of the 6 year old who loved RGB, and not the 41 year old who has loved the 1984 film for different, but equally valid, reasons his entire life.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

lol at the crystal skull vodka bottle at 1:05.

Also the Manhattan City Bank sticker on the counter is a nice touch. That's the fictional bank that gives Ray his third mortgage.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

deoju posted:

lol at the crystal skull vodka bottle at 1:05.

Also the Manhattan City Bank sticker on the counter is a nice touch. That's the fictional bank that gives Ray his third mortgage.

Oh man, that is a good Easter egg.

Also, as per the Adam Savage firehouse video, they dressed the floor and ceiling in a certain spot to make it look like those tiles are newer and don't quite match the rest, thanks to the explosion in 1. And afaik, according to Jason Reitman, they don't even draw attention to it at any point in the film, but it's there.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cage posted:

This was cute and Ray Parker Jr sounds just like he used to. I chilled out on my love for Bill Murray lately but its nice to see him have a fun time with this franchise.

Afterlife was... mixed for me but it was nice to see Murray more engaged than in ATC.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I just got back from watching it in the cinema! My main review is "Eh, it's okay I guess." The first hour really drags, I actually caught myself checking my watch several times. The big bad doesn't even get released and start freezing things seriously until one hour 20 min into the film, which pretty much leads directly into the finale so the majority of it is exposition dumps and uninteresting family drama. It felt pretty obvious that some of the new ghosts such as Possessor were crammed into the script to pad it out with a few extra action scenes & jokes. Murray is barely in the film at all except a short scene 1 hr in and then only comes back to hang out during the finale but Aykroyd is in it a lot, he's the best part of the first 2/3. It felt good to see Ray back in action. :unsmith:

I went to a 2pm screening in a huge cinema with thousands of seats but there were only 8 people in the entire room, lol. Some of them left before the finale.

To address these spoilers:

PriorMarcus posted:

The film features this spoiler heavily. They use the slim blowers to reverse the effects of the main villain. The main villain kills via fear itself, which visually presents itself as being frozen to death, but Egon sacrifices his afterlife to infuse his love for his family into the emotion slime and that love counteracts the fear so they spray everyone down with it and they unfreeze.
Totally false. The slime blower is teasered in the background of an earlier scene but isn't used in the finale at all. Egon's ghost isn't in the film at all.

And as for this spoiler:

PriorMarcus posted:

Also if you're wondering why they spent so much time on the Firehouse set and why they filmed the majority of this in England it's because most of the film is a base-under-siege story.
It's somewhat true but the base-under-siege element is just the last 30 minutes of the film. The Spenglers spend a lot of time in the firehouse throughout the film, they live there now and bust ghosts around NYC because ghosts are just a thing now.

Some other general observations:
Janine is pretty much grandfathered in as the new 4th original Ghostbuster
Walter Peck is the new mayor but William Atherton barely has any of the energy he used to have, he didn't look well
Kumail Nanjiani's role is a lot bigger than the trailers let on, he's pretty much the new Rick Moranis
Slimer has been hiding in the attic of Hook & Ladder 8 this entire time
The gang all get brand new proton packs at the end of the film (except Phoebe) but we don't really get a good look at them.

Post/mid credits scenes: there's a mid credits scene where a gang of mini-pufts hijack a Stay Puft delivery truck, there's no post credits scene

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 21, 2024

gregday
May 23, 2003

Whoever said that what they love about Ghostbusters (1984) isn’t the lore, it’s the vibe, got it exactly right.

Now I enjoy both the vibe, and also the lore to a much lesser extent. I accept that what made 84 awesome was a special lightning in a bottle magic that probably can’t ever be recreated. So, I’ll settle for more things that are more lore/franchise based.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Well the thing about the "lore" in Ghostbusters is that it's there in the exact right amounts. It gives you just enough to rev up your imagination but never more than that. What is a Slor exactly? What was Shandor and his cult like? If the movie were made today we'd probably have a full flashback sequence where we see all that stuff in detail.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

Well the thing about the "lore" in Ghostbusters is that it's there in the exact right amounts. It gives you just enough to rev up your imagination but never more than that. What is a Slor exactly? What was Shandor and his cult like? If the movie were made today we'd probably have a full flashback sequence where we see all that stuff in detail.

LOL the new movie starts with a flashback to 1904 when the original firefighters from Hook & Ladder 8 got called out to deal with The Death Chill. Also in the middle of the movie there's an extended exposition dump where they tell the story of how the main villain got trapped in that brass ball back in pre-Sumerian time, told via an animated sequence

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

LOL the new movie starts with a flashback to 1904 when the original firefighters from Hook & Ladder 8 got called out to deal with The Death Chill. Also in the middle of the movie there's an extended exposition dump where they tell the story of how the main villain got trapped in that brass ball back in pre-Sumerian time, told via an animated sequence

I'm glad these movies are out here for people that enjoy them but what the gently caress lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This is dumber than the egon ghost love slime.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I just saw a headline for a review say the movie is "full of heart" which is not something I've ever wanted in a Ghostbusters anything. Have people gaslighted themselves into thinking the original movie was an Amblin production?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Splint Chesthair posted:

I just saw a headline for a review say the movie is "full of heart" which is not something I've ever wanted in a Ghostbusters anything. Have people gaslighted themselves into thinking the original movie was an Amblin production?

When people get older, they start feeling emotions about odd things from their childhood. Doesn't make sense, but it's the only explanation that works for me. I loving love the OG movie and the cartoons, but god drat, imagine feeling emotional when you see Slimer onscreen again. It's weird.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The really sad/unhealthy reality here seems to be that older people have formed parasocial relationships with media characters because they don't have real friends or that their current life isn't fufilling in some vital way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The really sad/unhealthy reality here seems to be that older people have formed parasocial relationships with media characters because they don't have real friends or that their current life isn't fufilling in some vital way.

I don't think that is a fair or accurate thing to say. People get emotional at stuff, trying to paint it as "actually they're all friendless losers" is weird.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I answered the call and got tickets for a Sunday evening showing with my significant other. I'll be going in with very low expectations now which has historically been a good thing for me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kind of dark, and I agree insofar as stuff like Ready Player One can't exist without that but I think we also need to assume it's the writers and filmmakers and producers assuming that they can't make an appealing sequel without the lovely trifecta of putting the past up on a pedal, explaining and linking everything, and retreading/calling back as much as possible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I don't think it's so much about having friends or not having a fulfilling life so much that there's just an existential issue that everyone runs into when they get older. You start to become very aware of how finite the time you have left is, and I think that awareness leads people to look back at things they loved in their childhood with more and more fondness. When you're a kid all you want to do is look ahead and imagine the things you might do, but then when you reach a certain age you kinda know what you've done with your life for good or bad, and it's all mostly over with in terms of the big dreams and possibilities. The things from that earlier time give comfort to us because they remind us of when it seemed like anything was possible.

At least that's how I've kind of diagnosed how nostalgia works for me personally.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If you're reading what I've wrote and taken it to mean all nostalgia, and not a very specific kind of pandering and storytelling that this movie (and others) seems to be engaging in, then that's my fault for not communicating effectively.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

I don't think it's so much about having friends or not having a fulfilling life so much that there's just an existential issue that everyone runs into when they get older. You start to become very aware of how finite the time you have left is, and I think that awareness leads people to look back at things they loved in their childhood with more and more fondness. When you're a kid all you want to do is look ahead and imagine the things you might do, but then when you reach a certain age you kinda know what you've done with your life for good or bad, and it's all mostly over with in terms of the big dreams and possibilities. The things from that earlier time give comfort to us because they remind us of when it seemed like anything was possible.

At least that's how I've kind of diagnosed how nostalgia works for me personally.

For me it’s pretty much this.

My life isn’t “poo poo” and I’ve got some great friends but I recognize that my life could be better and some of the easiest “comfort food” ways to do it is to look backwards. I’m pushing 40, and I’ve been reaching out to childhood friends on Facebook, thinking about seeing my old childhood home someday if I can, revisiting a lot of media that brought me comfort as a kid, re-engaging with “retro” stuff like old video games or old cartoons on Disney+, doing stuff like playing with legos or re-buying old stuff I had as a kid now that I have the space and disposable income to do it. I went to a gaming expo last weekend where I bought some old retro gaming stuff, and even got to chat with the announcer from NBA Jam. It felt good, I had a good time.

Is it unhealthy? I’m not really sure, probably. I spend all my time working a job I’m kind of lukewarm about just to pay the bills and my limited free time is split between new media and experiences and chasing the nostalgia fix because doing anything other than finding ways to occupy my mind 24/7 is too depressing now that I’m 40.

I should probably stop, this has gotten too E/N enough as it is. I should probably go find a therapist.

Anyway I’ll have a #3, large fries, and a Diet Coke.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think it's like a continuum, there isn't some clear bright line where you cross it and all the sudden you're pandering or over-indulging in nostalgia. It's extremely common to struggle with how much to enjoy nostalgic things and how much is too much to the point that it's holding you back from experiencing new things.

But of course the way our culture is today, we're constantly bombarded with the kind of nostalgia pandering that I think Megaman is referring to. So now more than ever, if you do have that tendency to overly immerse yourself in nostalgia, pop culture and our current media landscape will shovel that poo poo down your gullet until you explode like that dude in Se7en. It can definitely be a negative thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you're reading what I've wrote and taken it to mean all nostalgia, and not a very specific kind of pandering and storytelling that this movie (and others) seems to be engaging in, then that's my fault for not communicating effectively.

I am aware of what you meant, it doesn't actually change the point.

People can feel emotion and nostalgia for things. It is a part of the human experience. Something designed to pander to people is, if successful, going to evoke that because it is the entire point. Trying to paint it as some failing on the part of the person for having emotions and implying it must be because they are friendless and hate their life is just weird. There's a difference between having it and being subsumed by it, but that's something else entirely.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

But of course the way our culture is today, we're constantly bombarded with the kind of nostalgia pandering that I think Megaman is referring to. So now more than ever, if you do have that tendency to overly immerse yourself in nostalgia, pop culture and our current media landscape will shovel that poo poo down your gullet until you explode like that dude in Se7en. It can definitely be a negative thing.

It's a problem with almost everything in this cursed algorithmic age tbh.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Every review I have read appears to be saying the same thing. It's okay at best, a 6 out of 10.

Part of the problem is there are too many people squeezed into the picture and not a lot have things to do or are in padding scenes.

The biggest crime?

You bring back Walter Peck as mayor and he DOES NOT have a vocal sparring scene with Peter. How can you not do this?

How can you not do that?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You'd think at some point a decision could be made about Murray where you can finally just go to him and say "Listen Bill, we want you in this movie but it's gotta be as one of the main featured characters. Like, we need you to actually be in the movie for real, we aren't going to pay you a huge chunk of money to show up for 2 days."

I dunno why they're so terrified of having a Ghostbusters movie without him, Aykroyd has always been the heart of the Ghostbusters anyway and you've still got Ernie Hudson and Annie Potts too.

gregday
May 23, 2003

After Ghostbusters came out, William Atherton said she years people would pass him in the street and call him dickless. Children. He swore he’d never reprise the role. Yet here we are.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think I’m more intrigued by the AMC popcorn bucket than the movie now, the videos I’ve seen make it look cool (but probably not $40 cool).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Nerdist talks to the Afterlife cast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA9kf_-RI1o

Starts off with "what's the weirdest conversation you had with Dan Aykroyd?" No spoilers but one of the answers is "He's seen a lot of UFOs." :allears:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I adore Dan, he's a Canadian icon and plays my favorite Ghostbuster.

He's also totally nuts.

Remember when he said no alien race would ever contact us after 9/11.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So far, he’s not wrong! :viggo:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alien poo poo is fun.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Good news:if you like Ghostbusters or B-plots then Frozen Empire is about 2 hours of that.

This has taken the "third best Ghostbusters movie" spot on my list of the five Ghostbusters movies.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

8one6 posted:

Good news:if you like Ghostbusters or B-plots then Frozen Empire is about 2 hours of that.

This has taken the "third best Ghostbusters movie" spot on my list of the five Ghostbusters movies.

Could be worse, it could be the 6th best.

I’m gonna maybe go see it this weekend, I’m still hopeful I’ll enjoy it (and tempering my expectations based on critic reviews will likely help).

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
It's funny, I don't think of Ghostbusters as something I'm nostalgic about - The Real Ghostbusters? Sure, I had an Ecto-1 I got at a car boot sale on a bookshelf for a while (I gave it to a friends kids who fell in love with it), but I always felt Ghostbusters, the 1984 film, grew with me, from spooky horror adventure, to comedians at their height, to libertarian fantasy and settling on charmingly shaggy and grungy comedy with elements of all of those things on my last viewing (I maintain that it's a very messy film and paced weird as hell, but it leaks charm and everyone is on top-form). I think I've found a new line or reaction to find hilarious on each rewatch. Jokes about mortgages and blowjobs didn't land when I was 8.

One thing I respected about 2016 was that it wasn't afraid to be it's own thing using the rough template of the original. I think it failed (I enjoyed it in the cinema but found it very rough upon a rewatch), but you could see that the creative impetus was drawing on the comedy more than the "stuff".

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

8one6 posted:

I like Ghostbusters and Afterlife. I have nostalgia for part 2, but find it a chore to watch these days.

I had a rough time with Frozen Empire. Nothing objectively bad, nothing terribly interesting. I don't believe I laughed, or felt much of anything. About 30 minutes in, I checked my watch, hoping it was going to wrap up soon.

The highlight for me was
cameo by the library guy from the first film - he doesn't do anything interesting, but hey, he's there!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
God, one of these men is 24 years older than the other, and the younger of the two is 54. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

God, one of these men is 24 years older than the other, and the younger of the two is 54. :psyduck:

While Rudd turned down Halloween Kills to be in Afterlife, the joke was Paul was not invited back to Kills because he would make all the other actors who'd aged feel bad.