Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gregday
May 23, 2003

PropStore.com has an auction next month including the original radio controlled "hero" trap prop from GB2. I know it's going to be mid to high 5 figures but good god am I tempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

text me a vag pic posted:

Just finished weathering a modded Rubie/Spirit pack with the Spengler wand. I must have ordered the new pack like a day after seeing your post.

First pic looks like you’re trying to recreate the OMNI cover.

Since we’re doing Gear Chat:

My pack was built by Sparky’s Prop Shop. I requested only light weathering and it does all the fancy things, lights, sounds, movie quotes, plays theme song and Savin the Day, plus the smoke exhaust after holding down the trigger long enough to activate the rumble mode “overheating” mode. Only thing is I wish the wand tip was telescopic. It’s largely 3D printed but I’ve been slowly replacing parts with metal / real components. GB prop building is so much fun. Sparky’s also made my (not 100% accurate) goggles. Trap is a modified Matty.

I’ve since replaced this suit with a 99% accurate one from Magnoli Clothiers plus correct elbow pads and some other improvements. I’m really hoping to be able to hit the premiere of Afterlife in full getup. I realize I might have to buy a ticket to keep my pack in the seat next to me.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I don’t think we will get ghost Egon. When has GB ever presented a ghost that wasn’t a baddie? The idea that ghosts could be good or bad kind of raises problematic questions about their indiscriminate busting of all spooks, specters, and spirits. Being a ghost = bad guy.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I don’t have a printer. I should clarify my pack shell is a fiberglass from Ben of Kent. Just a bunch of the little details and greeblies in addition to the entire wand is printed. I do plan to swap it for a fully aluminum wand sometime.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Been doing some more work on my Matty Collector trap. Mainly weathering by way of scuffing/metallicizing the edges and replacing the stripe decals and upgrading to a metal foot plate. I really want to replace the hose and plastic connectors with some real quick release connectors. The main problem is I still want all the electronics to keep working, and the real trap/pedal side connectors are smaller than the plastic ones that Mattel built in, and I’m not sure not to handle the size difference. I keep wanting to do other little things like update to accurate light bulbs and a correct power switch. I’ve already installed real brass parts, tubes, and several real components like the resistor and the relay/socket.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I only picked up my Matty trap about 2 years ago, after the prices were insane. I was a little apprehensive taking a Dremel to it for mods considering what I had to pay for it new in box.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Target also has pet costumes

gregday
May 23, 2003

Aw yeah.

And it came with paperwork to authenticate Aykroyd’s signature.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I’ve been weathering my pack this week as it was just far too clean and pure black. I hit it with a bunch of washes, brown and orange and rust colors, threw a bunch of Fullers Earth dust on it and hit some edges with a Molotow chrome marker.

It has a good base patina of dirt and grime, but I’d really like to get it closer to this one I found on the RPF:

And while I’d like my pack to be closer to this finish, I don’t think I can bring myself to do to it what it would need to get there. :(

gregday
May 23, 2003

Yeah I’m probably going to swap out the grips for the orange resin ones from GBfans, paint them black, then run down the edges to expose the orange a bit.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Oh my god

gregday
May 23, 2003

Third trailer has leaked. Warning: there are a couple of plot points in here that could be viewed as spoilers.

https://twitter.com/GBAfterlife/status/1447568930772602894

Chills when the song starts

gregday
May 23, 2003

Christ. If it’s a reboot that means it’s exactly not canon.

Way to understand nothing :psyduck:

gregday
May 23, 2003

So I picked up this fun little book. It’s half in-universe and the author basically scraped both movies and the RGB cartoon and toys for just about any ghost they could to fill out the pages.

One of the very first pages lists:

oh my god.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Of all the things, the design of the Paul Rudd Funko Pop figure reveals a pretty big spoiler.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

That he wears shorts?

The figure has a set of keys hanging from his belt.

gregday
May 23, 2003

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Oscar's in his thirties now, if the old characters only have a few minutes of screen time, no need to mention him. He's off, doing whatever it is Oscar Barrett would be doing, instead of Ghostbusters stuff.

Well, they aren’t getting the same actor.

https://people.com/movies/ghostbusters-ii-baby-oscar-actor-and-john-denvers-nephew-commits-suicide-after-battle-with-mental-illness/

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://youtu.be/p9XK6l3LUuA

gregday
May 23, 2003

Halloween was great. Adults far more delighted than kids, especially little kids who have no idea who the Ghostbusters are.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Garvey posted:

Its very much a sequel to GB1. The only hint towards it I spotted was Ray still owning the bookstore. No references to mood slime, toasters, ecto 1a, not even a navy blue uniform. With how reverent the film is towards GB1 and how it treats the props and equipment from it, this was surprising. On the other hand there's nothing I can think of that directly contradicts GB2 so I suppose it's still canon! Of course someone with a keener eye than me might spot something, but as far as I could tell that was it.

Adam Savage did a behind the scenes tour of the farm house and Egon still has the toaster from GB2. Of course it’s just a nod, and they don’t have to acknowledge any events they don’t want to, but the set designer/props crew absolutely ensured it was the same toaster.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Got 3 tickets for Thursday night. One for myself, the wife, and the proton pack. I went by the theater this past weekend and explained my intentions and showed them photos of the whole getup so I should be all clear to show up in full on absolute dork mode.

gregday fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 16, 2021

gregday
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I got a overpriced crystal skull vodka drink at amc

I want the power of Dan inside me

gregday
May 23, 2003

Eagle-eyed fans in r/ghostbusters noticed in the trailer that Venkman is wearing a wedding band so hopefully that means he married Dana.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Has a great time last night. Wife dressed up with me. Lots of adults and children wanted pictures with us. Movie is good. Theater manager asked us to come back tonight.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I’ve seen it brought up that a potential plot hole at the end is Egon not getting sucked into the giant trap array but I maintain that the reason is he’s immune from traps by having looked directly into the trap when he was alive.

gregday
May 23, 2003

My only real complaint is Paul Rudd was slightly wasted. I wanted Vinz Clortho doing dumb, goofy poo poo.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Three funniest things:

“How did you build a cyclotron so small?” *lamp pans to wall of degrees*

The long, thoughtful pause after “Are you a god?”

The OG crew’s eyes looking over at Egon one by one

gregday
May 23, 2003

Seems like zombie cab driver was still providing a useful service.

gregday
May 23, 2003

It really bothers me that often the equipment in GB 2016 destroys the ghosts rather than contains them. Just another item on a list of things where I feel like the creators just fundamentally did not get Ghostbusters.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Maybe I read it in this thread, but at some point I read there’s two ways you can make a comedy: silly people in a serious world or serious people in a silly world. 2016 puts silly people in a silly world and it just doesn’t have any sense of stakes or anything to grip you.

gregday
May 23, 2003

McCarthy/Ray are chubby and geek out over ghost stuff. I think that’s literally it.

gregday
May 23, 2003

For that matter I’m a little disappointed in Afterlife for retreading the same character archetypes.

Phoebe: literally a Spengler
Trevor: venkman. kinda a douche, quips a lot, defining trait is liking a girl
Podcast: obviously Ray
Lucky: Black, working class

They didn’t need to do this for a good story but welp.

gregday
May 23, 2003

So apparently Sony announced a box set including GB1, GB2, and GB:A and Paul Feig is salty about his movie not being included.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Please link this, I can only assume it's funny.

https://movieweb.com/paul-feig-blasts-sony-for-leaving-his-reboot-out-of-ghostbusters/

gregday
May 23, 2003

Nice little Easter egg at the end

gregday
May 23, 2003

Brolander posted:

For various reasons I have been watching comfort movies lately, GB and GB2 principal among them. While I was at it I decided to check out the new one because, why not. I haven't seen 2016 because I am a raging misogynist (actually I saw the ghost puke scene and said "I will not be doing this". Someday though, I swear I love Kristen and Melissa!)

I like lil' Egonette, good deadpan! "Make them out of what." I like how the chess game was presented as this thing that would slowly unfold then ghost Egon just goes "ok now that I have your attention gently caress CHESS I have to teach you to save the world." I was hoping Podcast would take a header down the mineshaft. Sorry Cute Kid, it's not your fault they made you a Burger King Kids Club Member. Finn, whatever. This movie ain't about him.

The Ray and Egon stuff I didn't buy. Those guys were Index-Middle, and Ray would at least go check it out. Otherwise I was mostly able to ignore the logical inconsistencies. I really loved how Rudd described the events of GB1 as "...then these physicists showed up with these portable proton accelerators and blew the roof off a Manhattan high-rise."

Yes I teared up at like all the Ramis stuff--I teared up at seeing Annie Potts!!!! I'm a big sentimental bitch! They at least didn't try to make him talk. It just made me very very sad they never got to do this before Harold passed. That sucks. It sucks. It doesn't read as cynical to me because I know everyone loved Harold very much, even Bill reconciled with him before he died. Also much of the emotional impact for me is related to the passage of time, my own mortality as I enter my middle 30s and my parents enter their twilight years, blah blah blah

Siggy at the end....my first celebrity crush/sexual awakening. Love ya Sigs!!

This is obvious and has been pointed out to death, but you just can't replicate the chemistry of the OG and 2. The principals were second city trained with an egoless ideal of making the other person look better, even if Murray was already particularly an Ego at that point. He had fun and hammed it up, but wasn't ever stepping on anyone else.

I don't care if the sequels were just made to make money, so was the original!! It wasn't part of some public good program to create cherished movies. It just ended up being the greatest ensemble comedy ever made, as a billion good decisions were made on the journey from Dan's idea to the silver screen and they had numerous enormous talents at their absolute peak.

I might rewatch both today and come back with s'more thoughts. There's more negative poo poo but I'm trying to be a little more positive this year. Except--everything's too pretty. Ghostbusters was ugly! They were all in their 30s with bad hairlines and flaws! 2016 especially looks extremely loving bright and slick and it feels so false.

lol I went back to look for this and man, god bless ghostbusters fans:

Lol Vince.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/franklinleonard/status/1493061838245744643

gregday
May 23, 2003

I felt like Jason obviously wanted to include Bill and Harold’s personal breakup in the film but Bill wouldn’t go for it so he swapped in Ray which, as everyone notes, does not work.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I need to find some leather strip for it and it needs a lot more black weathering, but this is fun. Really whistles too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Oh drat! Is this from that RPF junkyard run?

Yes! There’s actually 2 runs, one for a resin cast and one for a printed one. I ordered both and this is the printed one.