Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
not great, though I did like McKenna Grace and Logan Kim as the lead kids (even if naming the latter "Podcast" is peak how-do-you-do-fellow-kids writing). i don't think a Ghostbusters sequel needed to be this specifically reverent of the original movie, almost to the point of masturbation. and could have really, really done without dead-eyed CG Harold Ramis

what on earth was the point of JK Simmons in this? shows up for about 30 seconds in a role that seems like it should have some importance to the plot, and nothing. feels like there were definitely scenes cut there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

That's what made that bit work for me. For how many times we've seen the cult leader devoted to the Elder Whatever in the goal of power and usually gets killed at their first failure, seeing the cult leader end up being regarded as no more special than the rest and on the get killed list just fit well.

it could work as a gag if the movie did any sort of buildup to it. that isn't there at all, the character isn't established as having any significance or meaning to the goings-on that the movie can then undercut (ie, Shandor's return being part of his plan), he just shows up more or less out of nowhere

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
I’d give this the edge over Afterlife, simply by virtue of it being slightly less masturbatory, but it’s not very good. As others have said this is juggling far too many characters (with the returning cast from Afterlife, larger roles for Aykroyd and Hudson, and the new characters played by Nanjiani and Emily Alyn Lind). The villain isn’t properly introduced until the third act, with little to no stakes up to that point, and the finale is so small-scale as to reek of budget cuts. The effects are good, though