Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

Does anyone have any tips on inventory management?

lol. inventory management is the worst part of the game. if you find a good solution, please share it. I just try to keep a stock of useful resources and offload all the other poo poo into my freighter every now and then.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

Also, is there a reason to keep every upgrade module I get, or should I for example delete anything that is a C-class upgrade?

If you're not using them or planning to install it on other things, just sell them for nanites. There's no risk to installing them though, as if you find better ones you can just uninstall+store the worse ones to sell.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

Regarding weapons, I pretty much only use the boltcaster on my multi-tool, every other weapon I've tried seems lackluster. On my ship I use the photon cannons on shields and then 1 blast from the rocket launcher 1-shots most ships. Again, every other weapon I've tried seems not great. Am I missing something or is it just personal preference and upgrades?

People seem to swear by the infra-knife accelerator but I basically do ship-to-ship combat like you do, just with fully upgraded shields and photon cannons to tank any incoming hits.

On foot, Boltcaster, Pulse Spitter, or the Neutron Cannon are all fun times.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

Does it just come down to whether I find a planet with specific resources that I want to revisit frequently and a base provides a quick teleport? Or is it best to plop one down in far away galaxies that I might want to get back to?

Both. Put bases wherever there's useful resources, or just cool landscapes you want to revisit. I've got bases all over the place, each with their own teleporter as a kind of transport web. How developed/cool they look depends on whether or not I've got a particular building concept I want to explore.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

Lastly, this happened earlier, I logged in and there was land clipping through my base. I used my terrain manipulator to flatten it and it seems to have fixed it, but it was bizarre none the less.

Annoyingly, terrain will eventually "regrow" into those kind of building elements, so it's best to build your base around it, rather than altering the terrain then plonking down buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Gray upgrades only sell for 16 nanites so it's always better to install those and then disassemble them for parts because C-S class upgrade modules always give wiring looms and those are used for a lot of stuff and are pretty expensive.

A fully upgraded and supercharged IKA can get up to 55-65k DPS even without power to weapons and takes out any enemy ship in like two seconds, it's pretty hilarious. It can even take out a shieldless dreadnought before it can warp away by just shooting at the hull.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
Thank you both for your input, it clears up a lot of questions I've had. I guess I forgot that I could disassemble the upgrades, and I haven't been selling them because they never showed up to sell at a trade terminal. But I just realized I actually have to sell them via the vendors, not the terminals. So either way I'm about to clear up some inventory space. I can't believe after all these years the devs haven't focused more on improving inventory management.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

the game's final update will be the Inventory Update

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I also swear by the infraknife accelerator, because it's like the photon cannon, except WAY faster. Like ludicrously faster.

It is my space knife for cutting apart starships like butter, so the name is fitting. Just make sure that its mods are boosted. If you get 4 cannons going at once, You Are Death.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Inventory is Better Than It Used to Be (TM) at any rate - the patch that included the Switch release increased all inventory capacities massively. But if you haven't noticed, you can get a pretty cheap inventory space upgrade every time you visit a new space station, at the exosuit vendor. Also keep an eye out for missions (in space stations or the anomaly) that offer upgrades, they're not too uncommon. Eventually, getting a freighter and a teleport module will make things a lot easier to manage as well.

I think that early game, you probably want to focus on getting a comfortable stash of "walking around money" (both units and nanites) more than keeping things you might need someday in your inventory. Although some things are easier to find / refine / craft than others, basically nothing that would go in your inventory is irreplacable and if you have a stack of something or other with no immediate obvious use whose sell cost makes your eyes light up, sell that poo poo.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Oh my…. I knew that my stuff would be damaged when transferring to a new galaxy, but I had no idea just how bad it would be. Compounding this horror, I went in my Sentinel interceptor, so now I need a bunch of corrupted sentinel components to repair. So now I get to figure out how to acquire that stuff. When I reinitialized, I thought it was game over because I can’t even repair my takeoff component. Then I realized I could build a base teleporter and go back to my freighter…

On a happy note, I landed in the Goon Galaxy completely at random, so as soon as I get my precious ship repaired, I’ll probably come wave hello!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Lordshmee posted:

When I reinitialized, I thought it was game over because I can’t even repair my takeoff component. Then I realized I could build a base teleporter and go back to my freighter…

You can also just summon other ships.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Lordshmee posted:

Oh my…. I knew that my stuff would be damaged when transferring to a new galaxy, but I had no idea just how bad it would be. Compounding this horror, I went in my Sentinel interceptor, so now I need a bunch of corrupted sentinel components to repair. So now I get to figure out how to acquire that stuff. When I reinitialized, I thought it was game over because I can’t even repair my takeoff component. Then I realized I could build a base teleporter and go back to my freighter…

On a happy note, I landed in the Goon Galaxy completely at random, so as soon as I get my precious ship repaired, I’ll probably come wave hello!

If you think it would be fun to hunt down that stuff, stick it out.

If you think it would be frustrating, on the other hand, hop into the difficulty options, set crafting costs to free, fix some or all of your poo poo, then set crafting costs back to whatever they were before.

Your fun factor has to answer to nobody except yourself.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Remember you can use repair kits for those hard to find components

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
And Pirate systems tend to sell repair kits for a nominal fee

(maybe regular stations do too, now, I haven't exhaustively checked station vendors after the station update)

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Those are all excellent suggestions, thanks! I didn’t know about the repair kits at all. I think though, I’m gonna track down some more sentinel ships and in the process see if I can’t get what I need. I love my π-shard something fierce, but I have been using it forever.

I’m also hoping to see content like the whole “be a robot” storyline and organic ships soon. I’ve never completed the main story lines until just now, so I’m looking forward to all the follow up content that I missed.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Lordshmee posted:

buy repair kits at pirate stations to easily fix difficult modules if you accidentally accidentally jump in a good ship.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Been working on something

There are no toxic swamp planets in the Goon system so I built it on a lifeless rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The last couple pages of the thread have reinforced that I can't base build for poo poo lmfao