Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Stare-Out posted:

Been going photo-mode crazy lately

Nice, those look great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Well Seymour, I made it...

...despite your directions.

Stare-Out posted:

Been going photo-mode crazy lately

These are great, I love Photo Mode.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That Works posted:

Nice, those look great

Thanks! I'm on a mission to re-create the cover art as best as I can but have yet to find a planet with pink grass and a cyan sky. Most paradise/flourishing/grassy planets have yellow or red skies, at least in Eissentam.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Made my way to a new galaxy by finishing the quest that gives you all the Glyphs along the way. Made sure to use an empty ship and multitool, and empty out my exosuit.

I really wish you could more easily buy/build repair kits though.

First system in this Harsh Galaxy is like, 5 planets of aggressive sentinels and a dissonant moon. I'm building on the moon because despite the dissonance, it has perfect weather other than gravity anomalies, and I found a great spot for a base between power, gas and mineral points.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Grabbed a shot of 'Low Goon Orbit' to help with perspective of what's really going on with this base:

I just noticed that the game was being lazy and not rendering in the meshes of my frigates in the distance. Digital photography is my passion.

I'm not sure if LGO is missing floors or if this was a graphical anomaly, I am IRL acrophobic and noped back to my ship after screenshotting this.

Giving objects accurate and well thought out names is also my passion.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A-Hoy hoy! Finally made it. Gonna visit the space station and then spend way too long fixing my poo poo before building a new base near you all.

I'm in as The Robot Cousin Interface. I'm playing on Steam deck, so I won't be typing anything. I can try speech to text, maybe.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

A-Hoy hoy! Finally made it. Gonna visit the space station and then spend way too long fixing my poo poo before building a new base near you all.

I'm in as The Robot Cousin Interface. I'm playing on Steam deck, so I won't be typing anything. I can try speech to text, maybe.

Saw your name enter the system when I was fuckin around finding more poo poo to name. Welcome to the party.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

5er posted:

Saw your name enter the system when I was fuckin around finding more poo poo to name. Welcome to the party.

I laughed out loud at Grandma's Sunday Bush or whatever the hell you called it.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I laughed out loud at Grandma's Sunday Bush or whatever the hell you called it.

Grandma's Sunday Wig, which is a bush... I don't want to put horrifying imagery in everyone's head...

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Call the next one Grannymerkin.
I'm proud of my Duodecadong for a duodecagonal mineral with, well, dicks spiking out of it. Game wouldn't allow Duodecadildo. Not sure if that name got uploaded or not but I thought it was a rare moment of cleverness.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Just want to say, it’s a really nice feeling this confluence of good conditions discovery has brought a bunch of goons to stay. :glomp:

5er posted:

Grabbed a shot of 'Low Goon Orbit' to help with perspective of what's really going on with this base:

I just noticed that the game was being lazy and not rendering in the meshes of my frigates in the distance. Digital photography is my passion.

I'm not sure if LGO is missing floors or if this was a graphical anomaly, I am IRL acrophobic and noped back to my ship after screenshotting this.
LGO has floors, the interior is very bare bones right now but I have ideas! I’m quite proud of the design so far…

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 20, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I apologise for nothing.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Shockeh posted:

Just want to say, it’s a really nice feeling this confluence of good conditions discovery has brought a bunch of goons to stay. :glomp:

LGO has floors, the interior is very bare bones right now but I have ideas! I’m quite proud of the design so far…

It's incredibly well done.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Organic Lube User posted:

Call the next one Grannymerkin.
I'm proud of my Duodecadong for a duodecagonal mineral with, well, dicks spiking out of it. Game wouldn't allow Duodecadildo. Not sure if that name got uploaded or not but I thought it was a rare moment of cleverness.

That's entirely where I or anyone would've gone with that thing.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
LGO has one big problem - I can't get enough LIGHT in there. It's so drat dark.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm doing some base building right now too and forgot how drat hard it is to light interiors. I've mostly used the white variety of the colored lights but you have to put them every couple of meters apart for them to do much, plus they need wires which is a nightmare when you have to throw a ton of those lights everywhere.

The Anomaly sells a decoration called the candelabra bloom which emits light regardless of size but if anything, I found it could be too bright.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shockeh posted:

LGO has one big problem - I can't get enough LIGHT in there. It's so drat dark.

Prebuilt rooms aren't lit up enough? Also, powered cuboid rooms are lit, aren't they?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I made it to Goon Prime and decided to build a base around the portal without realizing that this also would delete the message balls people had already put up :negative: Sorry about that to whoever had orbs up initially!

Anyway, here's my base, Kapra Maro (it's esperanto)

Album here, there's a landing pad, portal, and tavern for your enjoyment.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I think I remember seeing a patch note, from someone, at some point, that bases made too close to portals are "allowed" but only show up locally to the player who built it, and I don't recall having seen a base built on top of a portal in an expedition for a couple years now

guess I need to make a goon pilgrimage now

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

3 posted:

I made it to Goon Prime and decided to build a base around the portal without realizing that this also would delete the message balls people had already put up :negative: Sorry about that to whoever had orbs up initially!

Anyway, here's my base, Kapra Maro (it's esperanto)

Album here, there's a landing pad, portal, and tavern for your enjoyment.

:sickos:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I think I remember seeing a patch note, from someone, at some point, that bases made too close to portals are "allowed" but only show up locally to the player who built it, and I don't recall having seen a base built on top of a portal in an expedition for a couple years now

guess I need to make a goon pilgrimage now

They might have changed it, I've definitely seen player bases around portals in the wild; I recently found one in the Euclid core that someone had just fully encased in walls lol. Anyway if anyone on Goon Prime can see my base please let me know for my own personal edification!

edit: I reloaded and the message balls are back, so false alarm and I retract my previous apology

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Do the planets actually get weird or is it just the “planet with the broken tvs” and the “planet of the spheres held down with ropes” over and over?
basically this, the planets don't get weirder, you just get a higher proportion of 'rare' biomes

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

Shockeh posted:

It’s all of the Triangles, but be warned, once you stop using squares, nothing will align nicely ever again.

Hahaha thanks. My other problem is the decision paralysis to just build. Functional or elegant... ah well

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Prebuilt rooms aren't lit up enough? Also, powered cuboid rooms are lit, aren't they?

Those are lit but require power and of course, are prefabs so not much room for creativity. If you want to build a base wall-by-wall and floor-by-floor you need to really go absolutely nuts with individual light sources.

It makes me a bit concerned for base building in Light No Fire but at least, I assume, you won't need to mess with wiring which is the worst feature NMS has.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
For anyone making The Pilgrimage, remember

- You can package and store modules from your exosuit equipment (and multitool, and ship) in your main inventory and skip repairing them
- Repair mats are correlated to dismantle mats, so you can compare "what you'd get for dismantling" and decide if it's going to be a hassle to repair if you don't want to take everything out of your equipped slots
- The old Wormhole Trick still works (if you take a black hole in any galaxy, the X/Y/Z coordinates are "sticky" in a way that means once you go through the galactic core, you'll pop out in the new galaxy near the same X/Y/Z coordinates, and sticks until you quit the game)

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 20, 2024

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Shockeh posted:

It’s all of the Triangles, but be warned, once you stop using squares, nothing will align nicely ever again.

ngl this sort of thing is part of why I picked up glitch building stuff in the first place, doing roundabout-but-reproducable methods of exactly placing things even when they're "weird" about not being placed normally because of size differences or just plain missing snap points

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FurKLVb534A

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Apparently there's a system in the Goon galaxy (Tabash I) whose space station sells a multi tool called Dreams of Sperm. I attached the coordinates but idk if it'll show cause I'm an old who doesn't know how image hosting and attachments work anymore but I do know imgur can suck a gently caress.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 21, 2024

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I've run into a really weird glitch.

I fought a bunch of corrupted sentinels and after killing enough of them I got pointed to a crashed sentinael ship, simple enough.

I went to said ship, pulled out the stuff and probed the brain to I could purify it and fix it up. Only it sent me to another system with another crashed sentinel ship for some reason. I salvaged that one, went to a monolith, purged the brain and can grab it. But i still had the brain from the first ship, I can't probe it now. Went back to the first crashed ship, saved, reloaded, and I can probe the brain again...and it points to the same second crashed ship, which I can go to, claim immediately.

So I can just like...claim this ship as many times as I want by going back and forth at this point. But I can't get the first ship at all. It's really weird.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Hunter Noventa posted:

I've run into a really weird glitch.

I fought a bunch of corrupted sentinels and after killing enough of them I got pointed to a crashed sentinael ship, simple enough.

I went to said ship, pulled out the stuff and probed the brain to I could purify it and fix it up. Only it sent me to another system with another crashed sentinel ship for some reason. I salvaged that one, went to a monolith, purged the brain and can grab it. But i still had the brain from the first ship, I can't probe it now. Went back to the first crashed ship, saved, reloaded, and I can probe the brain again...and it points to the same second crashed ship, which I can go to, claim immediately.

So I can just like...claim this ship as many times as I want by going back and forth at this point. But I can't get the first ship at all. It's really weird.

We were just doing that today too and had the same results where we could basically claim as many ships as we wanted. Also it seems like all the ships on a given planet are the same or very nearly the same other than class? Potentially also the same with multitools from the camps. We found what I think was 2 different camps and the multitool at both was the same looking.

Even playing a couple of years ago I remember running into bugs with the game where quests wouldn't complete properly and for example I had the weapon guy in my base give me the same enhancement as many times as I was willing to accept it. Stuck there until I restarted the game. That exact thing happened to my friend the other day too where he was able to farm several thousand nanites by accepting these things and selling them off. Then it happened to me with a quest that gave me a multitool, I was able to get 5 duplicates of it and then go decomission them for cash, though the money wasn't enough to be worth it.

In other news I found this guy who obviously evolved from a great cat of some kind (even has a paw licking animation) and apparently believes in skipping leg day and only does bench pressing. They look especially funny when they charge at you since they are aggressive.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Squibbles posted:

We were just doing that today too and had the same results where we could basically claim as many ships as we wanted. Also it seems like all the ships on a given planet are the same or very nearly the same other than class? Potentially also the same with multitools from the camps. We found what I think was 2 different camps and the multitool at both was the same looking.

Even playing a couple of years ago I remember running into bugs with the game where quests wouldn't complete properly and for example I had the weapon guy in my base give me the same enhancement as many times as I was willing to accept it. Stuck there until I restarted the game. That exact thing happened to my friend the other day too where he was able to farm several thousand nanites by accepting these things and selling them off. Then it happened to me with a quest that gave me a multitool, I was able to get 5 duplicates of it and then go decomission them for cash, though the money wasn't enough to be worth it.

Yeah there's a ton of stuff about how the multitool pools work, it's wild. I just want tog et one that'll work nicely without me having to carry this staff around all the time.

Decomissioning ships over and over is decent money, this one gets me 18mil a pop essentially for free. At least until i thought I was being clever by building a base next to it, which means the reclaimable ship won't spawn anymore. I'll dismantle the base and see if that fixed it.

I just wish there was a way to fix this brain without the quest so I could salvage the first, cooler-looking Sentinel ship and move on.

EDIT: well a couple loops and the game seemed to realize something was up, I came back to the first ship and there was an NPC there, who worked like a landed ship pilot only I was able to claim the ship for free, so that's that.

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 21, 2024

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Made it out to Goon Prime last night and set up a basic prefab base near the portal, but I haven't had time to do anything much more than that. Looking forward to exploring over the next few days and maybe building something more developed!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

btw, the message units are still there at the portal base, just now no-one can place any more

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
i've never engaged with base building or portal stuff or even quests. just endless planet/system hopping. what's the quickest route to get to where I can do the coordinates thingy necessary to find the Goon Zone?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

i've never engaged with base building or portal stuff or even quests. just endless planet/system hopping. what's the quickest route to get to where I can do the coordinates thingy necessary to find the Goon Zone?

First, find out what Galaxy you're in (it's displayed on the Galactic Map). The Goon system is in Aptarkaba.
If you're not already in Aptarkaba, you'll need to travel through galaxies until you get there. The fastest way to do this (assuming you have all the Glyphs unlocked) is as follows:
  • Find a Portal. I found the easiest way to do this is using the exo-craft's scanner to find a Monolith, then answering the Monolith's question and requesting Portal coordinates.
  • Power up the Portal, and enter the code Bird, Sunset, Sunset, Bird, Sunset, Eclipse, Sunset, Sunset, Balloon, Sunset, Sunset, Balloon. Travel through it and you'll end up on a planet close to the Galactic Core
  • If you're not right next to the core, hop planets until you're on the last planet before the core.
  • Stash as much of your exosuit technology as you can, as it will be damaged by the galactic warp. Switch to a sacrificial multi-tool and ship that you don't mind getting trashed, and/or stash ship technology like you did the exosuit. You may need one of the advanced hyperdrive units to get to the galactic core.
  • Travel through the black hole. Your hyperdrive will need to be fully fueled to do so.
  • Your exosuit and multi-tool will be damaged, and your ship will be a distance away. Swap to a non-damaged multi-tool. I also usually do basic repairs on my ship as well, just so it's able to do the next core jump. I don't usually bother repairing anything on the exo-suit apart from maybe the portable refiner.
  • Repeat the previous steps until you hit Aptarkaba.
  • Fully repair and reinstall your tech, as no more core jumps are needed.
  • Find a portal like before, but instead enter the following code: Face, Bird, Dragonfly, Voxel, Sunset, Balloon, Atlas, Atlas, Fish, Atlas, Atlas, Dragonfly. This will take you straight to the Goon planet.

If you don't have all the glyphs unlocked, you have to either do all the Artemis Path missions, or find a bunch of Traveller Graves to unlock them. Without portal travel it takes a LONG time to get to the center of a galaxy via Black Holes.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Apr 21, 2024

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

The quickest route, assuming that we can organize it and that you don't have portal glyphs unlocked or a freighter/starship capable of going through a galactic core, is to have someone 'taxi' you to the system itself.

Let me explain:

If you were to go to the Anomaly right now and see other people, assuming you're playing with multiplayer enabled, you could go to Mercury, the Vykeen-looking guy at the huge teleporter in the back left of the place. When you click on that teleporter, you'll get a list of destinations, and a lot of those would be bases of people who are at the Anomaly with you. You can then choose to teleport directly to any of their bases, no fuss no muss and boom. Doesn't matter the galaxy or system, the Anomaly is a true hub to everywhere and anywhere.

To be taxied is to organize an Anomaly meetup with someone who is already at a place where you want to go. Unfortunately, the galaxy we're all in isn't very popular, so you'd likely not find someone from there by chance. But if you were there with a goon-friend who already has a base there, you're golden.

Actually, while everything above is factually correct, if you're playing multiplayer anyway and you're in a group with a goon who lives there, you can just leave the Anomaly while in their group and you'll be prompted if you'd like to exit the Anomaly to their local system. You say yes, and assuming the goon you're partied with is in the goon system, you're there.

The natural way is much, much longer. Even if you had to wait to schedule a good meetup, it'd likely still take you longer to do it without that. But I'll give you the steps, regardless:

You'll need at least one portal glyph unlocked. You may have never used a portal before but if you've followed the main quest, you likely have at least one portal glyph unlocked already.

Assuming you're in the Euclid galaxy (the starter one), you need to...

1. Go to a space station and to the cartographer's desk
  2. Buy "Alien" maps (there are like 6 categories, Alien being one of them, read the descriptions of each)
  3. Use the maps in your inventory until it sends you to a monolith in your system. Go there.
  4. Offer the monolith whatever it asks for (usually an item that has to do with the primary race of the system. Vykeen system? It'll likely ask for a Vykeen dagger.
  5. Use it again after giving it the item and choose the option to learn where a portal is.
  6. Go to that portal and on one of the sides, a type of alien console will pop up when you're near.
  7. Power up each of the available glyphs
  8. Choose the option that's not 'reveal this planet's address (I forget the wording). Honestly, I can't recall if this step happens before the one above but either way, do what I've noted here.
  9. If you only have one glyph discovered and it's the' sunset' glyph (that's not the official name for it, just what people call it based on what it looks like), put that glyph in 12 times. Otherwise, you can look up the portal address to a planet right next to the galactic core of your current galaxy.
  10. Go through the portal. Then go to the galactic map once you're in space again.
  11. Choose 'galactic core' as your destination and follow the line which will lead you to the core. You'll likely be very, very close.
  12. IMPORTANT: Before you jump through the core, realize that whatever starship and multitool you're currently using will be 100% broken by the trip. It's in your best interest to use a junker ship and multitool, one that you wouldn't care gets broken and would need to be fixed. Then again, you might have resources on hand to fix them all up, so :shrug:
  13. Enjoy the musical journey through hundreds of thousands of light years.
  14. Repeat these steps until you get to the galaxy we're in (Aptarkaba). Euclid is galaxy #1, and the goon galaxy is 12, so... You've got quite the trek ahead of you, unless you can randomly find some pubbie in the Anomaly who lives in the Eissantam galaxy, which is 2 away from the goon one. That, or play and party up online with any of us already there.

That's... A lot of words, but I played Hypnospace Outlaw last night for the first time and I'm already loving it, thank you for that and I'm happy to help out with this. :shobon:

Edit: I was thinking about this recently, and it seems like No Man's Sky works this way. There are two general forms of discovery (and travel, in a broad sense): forging ahead, and being 'pulled' into somewhere (still by your choice).

Forging ahead means that you, just using the natural, single player facets and mechanics of the game itself, travel on your own. It is costly in fuel and other resources, the further you go, but it's of course part of the experience.

Being 'pulled' is kind of like when you have the opportunity to travel to somewhere that's been discovered by someone else that you're playing with (or are in the Anomaly with at the same time). I'm not referring to happening to show up in a system that's been discovered by someone else, but actively teleporting to a location, from the Anomaly, already inhabited by another, currently player. This method literally costs you nothing.

Definitely experience at least one core galaxy jump, but after that, do what you can to be 'pulled' ahead, because it's WAY faster.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 21, 2024

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
One of the featured bases in the anomaly (I’m assuming these are the same for everyone?) is in eissentam, which is only two galaxy jumps to the goon galaxy. That’s in comparison to 12 or so from the starting galaxy.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Doesn't the portal at the Anomaly list destinations for the bases of everyone currently in the Anomaly, grouped or not? Just select each one til you find one that says Aptarbaraka and then go there. Then just hop in your ship from their base and take off to find a portal to take to Goon Prime.

The anomaly is probably randomly instanced, so if nobody in it has a base in the right galaxy, either just wait a bit or exit and reenter the anomaly? I'd think that would work.

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 21, 2024

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Yeah, just made it to Calypso, the last galaxy, using this method. The Anomaly is The Way.
gently caress repairing all your poo poo.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Doesn't the portal at the Anomaly list destinations for the bases of everyone currently in the Anomaly, grouped or not? Just select each one til you find one that says Aptarbaraka and then go there. Then just hop in your ship from their base and take off to find a portal to take to Goon Prime.

The anomaly is probably randomly instanced, so if nobody in it has a base in the right galaxy, either just wait a bit or exit and reenter the anomaly? I'd think that would work.

I can nearly guarantee that goons are the only people you're ever going to see Aptarbaraka bases in the anomaly for-- outside of people that are cycling galaxies for the sake of saying they did it, the vast majority of people end up spending all of their play time in Euclid (both because you start there, and that's where most of the expeditions/weekend events end up) or the specific one they jump to after the main plot selection (Hilbert for normal, Calypso for harsh, Budullangr for empty, Eissentam for lush). Sometimes you'll see Umirpaiya/Paholiang because that was the Blighted expedition, and sometimes you'll see Odyalutai because that's the bugged 256th/0th galaxy that was accessible via teleporter malfunction for awhile, but rarely if ever will you see anything else.

More to the point, bases below a certain size don't get uploaded even if you want them to, so any "bookmark" bases that people have in weird galaxies aren't likely to be big enough to upload in the first place.

Yeah, just made it to Calypso, the last galaxy, using this method. The Anomaly is The Way.
gently caress repairing all your poo poo.

Calypso is galaxy 3 of 255 :V

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, as I mentioned in a couple of my posts, plus the one above this, pretty much no one is in Aptarkaba. The chances of randomly coming across someone there in the Anomaly is essentially zero.