Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Weird trip report from That First Guy....

All those comm modules around the Portal? They were already there when I got here. There's definitely been other people using it to cross Aptarkaba, just nobody had been to the Goon Prime system before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

For those of you sick of repair costs, don't forget to turn off purchase costs in the difficulty settings. I don't think anyone mentioned this yet.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

just a little warning, the :frogout: base is a crash hazard due to excessive amounts of light up floor tiles. it's not guaranteed, just more likely when exiting vehicles in the area.

also the emoticon is now too big for all of them to be seen lit up at once. so that's interesting.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

3 posted:

They might have changed it, I've definitely seen player bases around portals in the wild; I recently found one in the Euclid core that someone had just fully encased in walls lol. Anyway if anyone on Goon Prime can see my base please let me know for my own personal edification!

edit: I reloaded and the message balls are back, so false alarm and I retract my previous apology

If you can get back to the boxed portal easy get a screenshot I wanna see if it's one of mine

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

If you can get back to the boxed portal easy get a screenshot I wanna see if it's one of mine

I've also got a Portal Box base.

I should probably finish it off sometime.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

this all makes my insistence on playing permadeath a bit of a bummer. maybe i'll make another account to check this stuff out.

wish i could just make a copy of my main account and switch it to normal 'cause i spent a long time finding the perfect freighter and perfect wingmate ships

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

There's a featured base in the anomaly that's only 2 galaxy hops away from LGO right now fwiw

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I got other poo poo to do but also now the GET OUT speech bubble flashes on and off every 2 seconds.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

5er posted:

Same. K/M for everything that isn't vehicle driving, and an XB gamepad nearby for anything that needs driving.

I would totally do this, but not being able to set up separate Y-axis inversion options for mouse and controller (or for spaceship controls and walking camera controls) makes it an enormous pain in the arse.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sometimes you just have a moment in this game

https://i.imgur.com/X7RbfHy.mp4

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Welcome to Doobie's Dog House!

Enjoy the ambiance

Now with a vent hood installed

This is the closest you'll get to a frog on the building

Plenty of parking at the Subway across the street!

Come on down!

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Dammit now someone's gonna do Groverhaus.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Organic Lube User posted:

Dammit now someone's gonna do Groverhaus.

Oh gently caress, yes please.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I cannot. My brain cannot contain the non-euclidean geometries necessary to construct it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
LGO broke my loving brain already, and probably traumatised me against ever not using squares again. There is no way I'm taking that one.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Shockeh posted:

LGO broke my loving brain already, and probably traumatised me against ever not using squares again. There is no way I'm taking that one.

That'll do, goon. That'll do.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

well :frogout: is pretty much done, asides from a few cosmetic touches to the slum around the viewing tower, and I do need a new projet...

NMS sometimes gets pissy when you build multiple bases on the same planet though, but that might just be if they're too close together.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Whoever named all the Minerals & Animals by the way, I love you. :glomp:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Shockeh posted:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

pretty sure that was 5er

5er posted:

Grandma's Sunday Wig, which is a bush... I don't want to put horrifying imagery in everyone's head...

...though I've found a few rocks they missed, and have vaguely stuck to the naming conventions

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shockeh posted:

Yes, they're so good. I laughed like an idiot as I was scanning rocks.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Shockeh posted:

<3

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Interior update:

LGO now has a, the first on Goon Prime, a private room for special occasions, a gun store, and an official monogram on the wall.

Additionally, an array of small vendors have opened their doors, providing the greatest retail opportunities for literally millions of lightyears around!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Finally got an S-rank Dreadnought and.. it's cool and all but I hate that I have to now do a U-turn every time I summon it to get into the hangar whereas before I could just turn slightly to the left and zoom right in.

I've also been hunting for cool and weird sentinel ships and I have a collection of coordinates and screenshots of cool looking ones, to me anyway, in case anyone else is interested. It's Eissentam only but that shouldn't be a problem with the Anomaly and all.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 1, 2024

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I reinstalled this recently after buying it at launch. I fell into a vicious cycle of reinstalling with every major update, having no idea what was going on and uninstalling until the next one. I started a Relaxed save to try to get a handle on all the changes (my original save is sitting at 44:50 playtime).

Anyway, I'm actually getting into this for a change. I fell down the rabbit hole of sitting in a space station scrapping ships. I've made 70 million units and built myself an A Class Fighter and an S Class Hauler. Also snagged myself an S Class Exotic. Funny enough the exact same Exotic landed twice within 5 minutes of each other.

So my question is, is there an easy, quick guide to what all the different resources are used for? Something I could pull up on a laptop while I'm playing?

Also, freighters, I have a B class currently. An A Class popped up for me to buy but it had the same amount of storage and was worse in every other stat except range. Should I have bought it anyway?

edit: Oh yeah my other question was, is there any downside to sticking to Relaxed? And if so should I go back to my launch save or just do a new Normal one?

Q_res fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 2, 2024

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Q_res posted:

I reinstalled this recently after buying it at launch. I fell into a vicious cycle of reinstalling with every major update, having no idea what was going on and uninstalling until the next one. I started a Relaxed save to try to get a handle on all the changes (my original save is sitting at 44:50 playtime).

Anyway, I'm actually getting into this for a change. I fell down the rabbit hole of sitting in a space station scrapping ships. I've made 70 million units and built myself an A Class Fighter and an S Class Hauler. Also snagged myself an S Class Exotic. Funny enough the exact same Exotic landed twice within 5 minutes of each other.

So my question is, is there an easy, quick guide to what all the different resources are used for? Something I could pull up on a laptop while I'm playing?

Also, freighters, I have a B class currently. An A Class popped up for me to buy but it had the same amount of storage and was worse in every other stat except range. Should I have bought it anyway?

Freighter (and ship/multitool) classes just mean you can unlock more slots in them and some of those slots will be supercharged slots (max 4 at S-class) so a higher class one may seem worse at first glance but will be better with investment as you unlock more tech slots for it.

As for the resources, the things they're used for vary pretty wildly so the best way of going about it is to hoard everything because you'll never know if you'll need it for something that takes your fancy at any moment whether it's base building or constructing upgrades or just basic survival and recharging equipment. You can never have too much of anything.

And I'm sure you can stick to relaxed though I've never played that one myself. Even if you do normal, just by playing it evens out pretty quickly to the point where the difference is negligible, and even then you can adjust minor things from the accessibility options. Really the only modes that matter are normal, creative and permadeath.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 2, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

my Freighter is probably my least-used piece of equipment in the game, outside of the non-Nomad exocraft.

It exists only to provide extra storage, Nomad deployment, and easy teleport hops.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Q_res posted:

edit: Oh yeah my other question was, is there any downside to sticking to Relaxed? And if so should I go back to my launch save or just do a new Normal one?

I'm right there with you. Recently started a new save and am playing through the main game for the first time. In the past year, I kept trying to join expeditions only to run out of time before they ended, so I'm hoping those become available again for the completionist in me.

Game's fun, and I've been repairing derelict ships just enough to scrap them at the space stations. Having fun so far!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Q_res posted:

Have you gone through the Anomaly missions? I feel like they do a fairly good job of giving you things to do, as well as various useful things like Nautilus plans and portal runes.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

my Freighter is probably my least-used piece of equipment in the game, outside of the non-Nomad exocraft.

It exists only to provide extra storage, Nomad deployment, and easy teleport hops.

Honestly I'm on my freighter a lot, for all the aforementioned reasons and it's just the quickest place to get to "a base". I wish the freighter bases were visible from outside and could be more easily seen by other players. And could use all the base parts.

I'm ready for another excursion.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
I'm on my freighter all the time and get a lot of use out of it, but I don't think there's much need to farm for an S-class - I have a B and it's more than enough even though I'm firmly at endgame. Freighter class has no bearing on how big you can build the base, and while it affects the base freighter storage (which is extremely forgiving anyway), that'll be far outstripped by the storage space in your storage rooms. Freighter class will also have an effect on how efficient your frigate missions are and (I think) jump range, but you'll eventually accumulate a bunch of upgrades for those stats from destroying pirate freighters.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, research and unlock all ten storage containers, and then build those containers in your freighter. I call mine different things to help me sort stuff (oh god, Sean, please make NMS v4.7 the SORTING update :negative:) and whenever you're building or working on anything within your freighter, the build/repair menu takes materials from not just the main freighter storage, not just your exosuit and active starship, but all of your starships, plus all of the storage units that you've built. It's incredible.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it's very easy to get an S freighter if you just go for a system freighter instead of a capital one, since they spawn every time you warp in-system. they look cooler too. so just take the first capital freighter you get for the free freighter and then get a good one when you have money.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I want some sort of advanced crafting table/refinerwith a tree like UI.

The root of the tree is where you select a recipe, and it auto-populates the next leaves if the required components exist in any inventories within range. If you don't have one or more of the component, those leaves become recipies as well, and it generates the next leaves with the required components for THAT recipe, and so on and so on until you either can't make/don't have components, or the whole tree is full.

Something like this:

In this instance the user has hit "refine" and it's trying to process any recipies it has components for (in this case, metal plating/ferrite dust)

Where this would get tricky is eg: Chromatic Metal, where there are a million ways to make it with various combinations and efficiencies. Maybe it could try and start with the basic "process chromatic metal" (eg: copper) and the user could click on it to change?

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

It does that for crafting (as of a comparatively recent patch), but yeah, it'd be nice to have it as a unified UI for base building, refining, and cooking too. Maybe because you can craft instantly without a tool, but can't do the same for refining or cooking, it gets hard to implement.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

It does that for crafting (as of a comparatively recent patch)

Does it? AFAIK I still have to create required components separately, and hunt through my inventory to find the stuff. I want the ability to just say "I want to build a solar panel" and for the game to go "okay, you need a metal plate, which you don't have, but I see you have enough ferrite dust to make one" and just auto complete the steps so all I have to do is press "go" and it works through the tree.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Does it? AFAIK I still have to create required components separately, and hunt through my inventory to find the stuff. I want the ability to just say "I want to build a solar panel" and for the game to go "okay, you need a metal plate, which you don't have, but I see you have enough ferrite dust to make one" and just auto complete the steps so all I have to do is press "go" and it works through the tree.

There should be an option in the crafting menu called "view craft steps" - you'll get a tree and you can craft all the bits from there. You do have to go up the tree yourself (first click metal plates, then click solar panels), but you can do it from one UI.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

There should be an option in the crafting menu called "view craft steps" - you'll get a tree and you can craft all the bits from there. You do have to go up the tree yourself (first click metal plates, then click solar panels), but you can do it from one UI.

Oh interesting, I've never noticed that before. Thanks!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Oh interesting, I've never noticed that before. Thanks!

No worries! It was one of those QoL things they snuck in a bit ago. It makes crafting the complex high-end stuff like stasis devices and fusion ignitors a lot more transparent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
I got this game a few weeks ago on sale and am about 60 hours in, it's a lot of fun. I feel like they did a good job with the various mechanics and my only complaint so far is that some things are not explained very well. Like when they threw me into my first few pirate battles, I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to attack the trade ships, I just saw that they were giving me cargo for destroying them and thought "hell yeah! free loot!". Later I realized I was supposed to be defending the traders... whoops! Maybe it was mentioned in one of the notes that pop up, but it's hard to keep track of them in a heated space battle.

Does anyone have any tips on inventory management? My exosuit is usually at least 75% full of random resources and items that I think I might need while questing but I never really know what I'm actually going to need. So far I have 3 giant storage containers in my base that I'm trying to keep straight (one for resources, one for "items" and one for upgrade modules) but those are quickly filling up. Other than looking up every item on the wiki, how do I know what to keep? I usually trade away anything that has a use description that only includes "trading" but other stuff is less obvious, like the fake passport I got 50 hours ago that I've never used.

Also, is there a reason to keep every upgrade module I get, or should I for example delete anything that is a C-class upgrade? I currently only have 2 ships, 1 frigate, 1 roamer and 1 minotaur. I imagine I should keep upgrades for future crafts? So far I haven't used anything but my ship for travel. Regarding weapons, I pretty much only use the boltcaster on my multi-tool, every other weapon I've tried seems lackluster. On my ship I use the photon cannons on shields and then 1 blast from the rocket launcher 1-shots most ships. Again, every other weapon I've tried seems not great. Am I missing something or is it just personal preference and upgrades?

What about base locations? How many bases do people usually have and where do you put them? I still only have my first base I've been expanding on an ice planet and have no idea where to build more or if I even need to. Does it just come down to whether I find a planet with specific resources that I want to revisit frequently and a base provides a quick teleport? Or is it best to plop one down in far away galaxies that I might want to get back to?

Lastly, this happened earlier, I logged in and there was land clipping through my base. I used my terrain manipulator to flatten it and it seems to have fixed it, but it was bizarre none the less.