Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm shocked shocked that there is no repository of these fine animals. Everyone knows that your tortie or calico rules your home, it's the way of things.

Here is Noot, a young princess of nearly 9 months.

Usually perplexed that I am not constantly feeding her or cuddling her or paying attention NOW

Noot wants to play a lot and doesn't really get the not-biting-play idea, she is a trapper. When she's a little older I think I will need to get her a playmate, she loves me a lot and I feel she's a little frustrated that I don't play like a cat. When she gets a bit excited she'll often go into the bathroom because she's discovered how loud her meows are in there and will scream a bit to get my attention so I'll chase her :3:

Noot is also the most talky cat I've ever owned, with a wide repertoire of sounds, ranging from almost silent mews (begging for food) to throaty rowrs (when food is coming), rising chirpy pthbbs (what are you doing?), almost howly rowrs (come and chase me, or lately, I DID A POO), and variations in between. There's a lot going on there, plus loud purring of course.

Note the toys at the top of the picture. I haven't seen the mouse since then, that was 3 months ago.

So What Is A Tortie/Calico/Caliby?

From Wikipedia:

Wiki posted:

Tortoiseshell is a cat coat coloring named for its similarity to tortoiseshell material. Like calicos, tortoiseshell cats are almost exclusively female.[1][2][3] Male tortoiseshells are rare and are usually sterile.[4][a]

Also called torties for short, tortoiseshell cats combine two colors other than white, either closely mixed or in larger patches.[2] The colors are often described as red and black, but the "red" patches can instead be orange, yellow, or cream,[2] and the "black" can instead be chocolate, grey, tabby, or blue.[2] Tortoiseshell cats with the tabby pattern as one of their colors are sometimes referred to as a torbie.[6]

"Tortoiseshell" is typically reserved for particolored cats with relatively small or no white markings. Those that are largely white with tortoiseshell patches are described as tricolor,[2] tortoiseshell-and-white (in the United Kingdom), or calico (in Canada and the United States).[7]

Tortoiseshell markings appear in many different breeds, as well as in non-purebred domestic cats.[7] This pattern is especially preferred in the Japanese Bobtail breed,[8] and exists in the Cornish Rex group.[9]

You can read more there, it's basically a genetic mutation that selects almost completely for females.

Post your princesses and queens!

Noot is waiting! Do it!

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

What lovely torties and calicos! I prefer the name "cream tortie", "dilute" seems vaguely offensive :v: But cream torties are very beautiful!

Also, as alluded, these cats have very emphatic personalities, despite what scientists say. Noot is extremely talkative for a domestic short hair, she makes 7 distinct noises, and being still a kitten, demands that I play with her; she particularly likes being chased and will often fluff up her tail and zoom around. She loves to play-bite and it's proving difficult to train her out of it. Is there such a thing as the tortie stare? Sometimes Noot sits there with her ears flattened and her eyes bugging out, usually watching me, it looks like her confusion reaction, I'm not sure.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I love the classic split face tortie look :3:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

New favorite thread :allears:

And judging me while I prep/cook food

New favourite calico :3: :kimchi: :3: I like that from the front she looks mostly white until she turns around and there's those big splotches of black and red like a saddle.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Fuzz Feets posted:

Thanks for making the thread!

No, thank YOU, I'm more than repaid by seeing all these wonderful kitties, it was my cunning plan :3: Willow sounds quite laid back for a tortie! Noot makes such absurd sounds a lot, I call her Squeaky half the time.

Thin Privilege posted:

She’s laying happily on me now but earlier she bit me for no reason. Stupid torties.

What's your kitties name? edit: Oh it's Kitty, LOL. Also your Chester thread is great, you are some kind of cat whisperer!

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 11, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Is...is she a Maine Coon calico?! :swoon:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Quality not the best, but I've been trying to get a snap of this Noot look:

I think of it as her derpface.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

From the Star Citzen thread, an excellent source of cattes :3: :3: :3:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Glare Seethe posted:

Sadly she died unexpectedly aged eight. Even though she was never 'my' cat I genuinely miss her.

:cry: those are truly the special cats.

Oh wow :swoon: so cute, but I couldn't go with the high maintenance fur factor.

The prime tortie marker, I've realized, is stubbornness. They get an idea and won't be deterred. For instance, they like cuddles but on their terms. Don't be messing up the cuddle schedule! Look, that onion skin is CLEARLY a toy. I'm invisible when your back is turned so sneaking on the bench will work this time. *insert tortie experience here*

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Tuesday, of tum and toebeans

It's a goddamn trap, don't even think about it.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 7, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Loving the "dilute" calicos here!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solitair posted:

Mom just got a new tortie kitten. Meet Shakti:

She's the most caliby/calico I've ever seen, rare to see one with just a white chest and mittens :3: I don't know how strict the line is between calico and caliby, most calicos I've seen have some striping in the ginger/orange because it's a tabby colour, its almost impossible to find them without some tabby markings except in the swirly UK gingers.

quote:

Sukha's like a tortie tabby. A torbie

Also very striking tabby markings, wow.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

Oh HELL YEAH I just realized this thread exists.

She's an adorable, squeaky little poo poo and I love her so drat much.

Good god so she is :3: Like my Noot only with a black nose to boop!

Here's my idiot today, in "lying at the foot of her conqueror" style:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

DarklyDreaming posted:

This here is Callie, she's approximately 3 years old:

She's a cutie :3: I want to point something out that sharp-eyed tortie/calico readers may have noticed, the white hairs flecking the patches, which my Noot also has. This is to do with the way the melanocytes carry pigment to the skin. White is unpigmented melanocytes that lead to unpigmented fur. As noted in the Wikipedia article, this can be at different rates so that in rare cases, even full torties can gradually go white. There's no way of telling when that happens, and in most cases it never changes.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So many kitties :3: I cannot possess them all :qq: *

* that's what Bill Bailey really meant.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Boogalo posted:

Milly megapostin.

You had me at

Is she very trappy or just occasionally bitey? Noot is still not getting the not-bitely part.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Boogalo posted:

She will very gently love bite for attention. Tummy trap is more of a playtime thing and I have to get her pretty riled up for it to happen, any other time you can stick your face in there and blow raspberries and she doesn't give a poo poo. For all of the kicking and clawing she does she never leaves a single scratch and is extremely gentle. A sweetie.

lucky you, I have cuts in my leg from Noot just trying to get my attention (so I clip her nails and she hates it). But she needs and gets regular cuddles every day, so it's not all ouch.

edit: OH HAI

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 20, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I wish Noot forgot how to use claws. It's very weird to be attacked with claws and teeth from a purring cat. Noot is currently yowling from the bathroom that I should go and catch her.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'll be haunting youuuuuuuuuuuuuu

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Welcome Lulu! Also Noot's feet are pink; that's another genetic variation with calicos/torties, I think there are some even with dark mottles on toepads.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Post more Peach!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a caaaaaaaaat I'm a caaaaaaaaaaaat

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yesss human, continue.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Calico snipe cross-post from SC thread courtesy of Neltharak

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

What a lovely collection of torties, lucky to have you as their human!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Noot is a cat who moves too fast for an average phone camera to catch up with, they're optimized for light not speed, and also there's a problem that when she knows I'm paying attention she wants to roll over and cat-trap even if it means falling off the cat tree. So in the last few days Noot has realized she's big enough to get on top of the cat tree and try and reach those naughty spiders who won't let her eat them. It took 20 pictures to get these.

Also discovered that if she uses my lap as a springboard she can get on the table and demand cuddles. Getting the pix of that will be harder than these attempts to capture her on the cat tree:

Bonus bench idiot:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

They're so cute when they're asleep :3:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

:3: :kimchi: :3:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

drat Bananas posted:

No cat has ever held my heart like she did. She never had a mean bone in her body, never a behavioral issue, and never once did a lap go cold in our house. Loved this sweety so much!

She was beautiful, that first photo really showed off her lilac dilution! 19 is a pretty good age for a cat to get to!

owls or something posted:

Pretty sure that was her giving me a staredown for eating chicken wings in front of her and not sharing. For such a sweet cat she can have some pretty intense stares when she WANTS.

They can be obstinate when they want to! Try as I might, I can't seem to rid Noot of her habit of getting my attention by sinking her claws into my leg as she stretches. She's zooming a lot lately, making bizarre little noises to herself. She has a new box to play in, she chews the edges of the flaps, and makes more bizarre noises while hiding under one.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Awww you need to get cats back into your life, they are great kittys! In Noot news (Noot news!) Noot has shifted her home base from the cat cave in the bathroom to the top of the cat tree, which I've decided is a signal of maturity. She also didn't wreck the place when I was away overnight last week, so she's doing well with her 1st birthday only a weekish away now.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Wow what a striking torti, she's the darkest I've seen and those stripes are amazing! Noot has a box too, she chews it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I love that her expression is exactly the same in every photo: WAT

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Milly does a purr attack! it's super effective!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Noot contemplates technology of sound.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's a trap! Noot trapped me in just the same way just now. It's bitey time all the time!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Torties move all the time, you need a camera with a quick fstop which is not most phone cameras. This is now a daily occurrence:

I get maybe 3 good shots from 15 with Noot.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Excellent pthbbt work :3:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's always a trap with a tortie :v:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mine loves them too but it always turns into Bitey Games.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

Here, have a video of Chloe playing with us. :)

That's like Noot slowed down 100x, she goes into bitey mode very quickly and is forever rolling on her back in hopes she gets bitey games again. You could be fooled into thinking it's an "im not worthy" pose but it's a trap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Awww, they're so cute when they're asleep. We had a power outage for a few hours, Noot was confused when all the noises and lights stopped :3: