Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

NinjaDebugger posted:

Goddamn, that's impressive through my crappy photos. The jenners are going to get some kitbashing, and I May have to replace guns/missiles on some stuff, but I'm gonna have some fun with them.

It's just too bad you didn't have that second pack organized slightly differently, we could have had a new badger song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
is this where people post about alpha strike? I played last year at adepticon and my friends started talking about it recently

picked up the 2 player box set and have been eyeing some inner sphere boxes. looks like a lot of the online retailers have been cleaned out recently tho

oh here's a question is the legendary mechwarriors box worth picking up?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 23, 2024

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

oh here's a question is the legendary mechwarriors box worth picking up?

BattleTech isn't what-you-see-is-what-you-get so you can use them as proxies pretty easily. Legendary Mechwarriors gets you an Archer (reposed, but otherwise normal), a Marauder (with a slightly bigger dorsal autocannon than the normal model), a Timber Wolf (with jump jets), and a Dire Wolf (with a very obvious loadout change). That's 2 Inner Sphere 'mechs and 2 Clan 'mechs.

If you don't want those specific 'Mechs (or the variant sculpts / reposes) LM1 doesn't offer anything you can't get elsewhere. That said, the Marauder and Timber Wolf are both classics and having both in one box is pretty nice.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

BattleTech isn't what-you-see-is-what-you-get so you can use them as proxies pretty easily. Legendary Mechwarriors gets you an Archer (reposed, but otherwise normal), a Marauder (with a slightly bigger dorsal autocannon than the normal model), a Timber Wolf (with jump jets), and a Dire Wolf (with a very obvious loadout change). That's 2 Inner Sphere 'mechs and 2 Clan 'mechs.

If you don't want those specific 'Mechs (or the variant sculpts / reposes) LM1 doesn't offer anything you can't get elsewhere. That said, the Marauder and Timber Wolf are both classics and having both in one box is pretty nice.

I get both an Archer and a Timber Wolf from the boxset. so it's kinda a wash. thanks for the info

I'm digging into the mul like kid at a candy store and kicking myself for not backing the most recent kickstarter

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

I get both an Archer and a Timber Wolf from the boxset. so it's kinda a wash. thanks for the info

I'm digging into the mul like kid at a candy store and kicking myself for not backing the most recent kickstarter

I mean, there's nothing wrong with fielding multiple of the same unit, and both the Timber Wolf and Archer are good machines to have.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I have never once regretted having piles of Archers or Mad Cats.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Rorahusky posted:

I mean, there's nothing wrong with fielding multiple of the same unit, and both the Timber Wolf and Archer are good machines to have.

oh ha for sure but I'm trying for a bit of breath with my initial purchases. I'm currently eyeing the IS Heavy, Support, Striker and Direct Fire lances. only dupe across those will be the Atlas and Blackjack. which puts me at 22 unique chassis

I'll eventually get another Archer and a Marauder with the Command lance

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Eventually you'll end up with lots of each. I think I have five Archers of various types now. Fielded exactly one, once. :iiam:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I have six Griffins. I always need more Griffins.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Arquinsiel posted:

Eventually you'll end up with lots of each.

No lies detected.

I really need to finish some of those.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 24, 2024

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

You pretty much have to go out of your way to not end up with multiple Mad Cats. It's in two of the box sets, two of the legendary mechwarrior packs, a force pack, and has a premium model sold on its own. I'm guessing that the Archer is probably the second most common. Have fun getting multiple Vindicators, though. Little guy only exists in the beginner box, which is pretty bad value for anyone who is just after plastic.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

All the metal mechs are now in... THE DIP.

Five of them have already come out clean, but some of them are being extremely stubborn, I'm pretty sure there are multiple layers of primer on them. Under all that loving goop, though, they are as beautiful as they day they came out of the mold.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 24, 2024

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Canned Bovines posted:

You pretty much have to go out of your way to not end up with multiple Mad Cats. It's in two of the box sets, two of the legendary mechwarrior packs, a force pack, and has a premium model sold on its own. I'm guessing that the Archer is probably the second most common. Have fun getting multiple Vindicators, though. Little guy only exists in the beginner box, which is pretty bad value for anyone who is just after plastic.
I don't have one of the new plastics...

Because I pulled one from a salvage box when those first came out and gave it to a friend who was getting into painting minis. She still hasn't started on it either... (one of us, one of us).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Canned Bovines posted:

I'm guessing that the Archer is probably the second most common.

It's tied with the Blackjack. The Blackjack also has the most unique non-premium, non-hero variants.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Another fun pastime is to go to Iron Wind Metals' page and just scroll through all of the mechs there. Sometimes I even order from them, despite the insane cost and shipping.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I buy shitloads of infantry from them because it tends to cost about $3 to fill a hex.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I recently ordered some infantry from Ral Partha (Kurita infantry, fantastic sculpts!). I already have infantry on hex bases so it was basically just for adding flavor to bases.

I didn’t realize the pack had 28 strips of three men, so 84 men for 9 pounds. If one were to put seven men on a hex base they’d get 12 bases of infantry! Definitely giving/selling some to friends, I don’t need so many.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I fielded 9 bases using the battlefield support rules last year. They were totally useless but it was hilarious to make everyone playing the game wait for me to shuffle them towards the objective at an average 2 hexes a turn.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
alright created my first Kurita Clan Invasion 250 list:
Sweep/ Striker / Light Battle Lance
Jenner JR7-F Skill: 4 PV: 32
Spider SDR-7M Skill: 4 PV:26
Locust LCT-3M Skill:4 PV:20
Phoenix Hawk PXH-3K Skill:3 PV:38

Command / Heavy Battle / Direct Fire Lance
Orion ON1-M Skill:3 PV:43
Archer ARC-5R Skill:2 PV:51
Grand Dragon DRG-1G Skill:3 PV:40

total PV: 250

the Phoenix can swap Lances but if I stick with a Sweep Lance I think it means he gets Blood Stalker which effectively puts it at a Skill: 2 against the target formation. which feels like it should be annoying af to deal with and 2 other lights are effectively Skill 3. I believe a Skill 2 Archer should be able to hide itself and just start raining missiles. Command l went with because Combat Intuition to try and sweep a mech off the board like round 2 sounds good

I am seeing the point breaks being super important and where all the variants can help. I wasn't trying for exactly 250 it just worked out that way

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

a cyborg mug posted:

I didn’t realize the pack had 28 strips of three men, so 84 men for 9 pounds. If one were to put seven men on a hex base they’d get 12 bases of infantry! Definitely giving/selling some to friends, I don’t need so many.

If you end up with a few sprees you'd sell a goon hit me up.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

If you end up with a few sprees you'd sell a goon hit me up.

I would but I’ll assume we’re at the very least in different countries so the postage alone would make it not worth it!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They're very small and light, so they wouldn't cost much to ship. Worst case scenario I can get some next time I make a Ral Partha order.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I'm one player in a 2v2 teaching game on MegaMek today, 1600 BV limit with introtech. I was thinking a Panther and a Jenner?

e: Mackie??

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 25, 2024

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I saw a suggestion I agreed with, which recommended using some of the more iconic medium mechs rather than lights in teaching games. Light mechs tend to rely a lot more on chance , and don't represent the attritional nature of battle tech combat properly. Maybe a Wolverine and a Shadow Hawk? (You take the Shadow Hawk, since it's damage is a little less impressive)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

General Battuta posted:

I'm one player in a 2v2 teaching game on MegaMek today, 1600 BV limit with introtech. I was thinking a Panther and a Jenner?

Hunchback 4p so they can learn about heat and that lots of shots can occasionally overcome bad to hits, but your 4p will still hit once on 5s

Plus I dunno, yeah a jenner

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Yeah, Laser Swayback vs. Jenner is a more interesting matchup, even if replacing the Panther means stacking the odds against the Jenner

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Charger v awesome

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Signal posted:

I saw a suggestion I agreed with, which recommended using some of the more iconic medium mechs rather than lights in teaching games. Light mechs tend to rely a lot more on chance , and don't represent the attritional nature of battle tech combat properly. Maybe a Wolverine and a Shadow Hawk? (You take the Shadow Hawk, since it's damage is a little less impressive)

I also like doing 3/4 P/G for learning games, so things can happen. Selling it as this big clash of metal and having a bunch of whiffing firing at medium range and moderate movement feels underwhelming IMO. I get the idea that you want to teach positioning and whatnot but it feels just a little too feeble on the bell curve at 4 gunnery.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think it's always important to make it clear to newbies that you can just get up close and punch the poo poo out of a mech too though.

Signal posted:

This is solid logic. Way back when there was an Ironwind Metals starter pack that came in a little plastic folder with photocopied quickstart rules and record sheets (and even a pen!). The mechs in the clamshell were an Enforcer III, a Huncback, a Cicada, and a Hermes II. At the time it was hard for me to get mechs in Ireland, so all four went into my Deneb Light Cavalry, but looking back on it there's a clear logic as to showing off how the Hunchback is different to the Enforcer, how the Cicada goes fast and doesn't have much combat ability, and how the Hermes II is just really not a good design at all.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I did something like

Hatchetman + Enforcer
Trebuchet + Centurion
3/4 pilots, might make the HTC 3/3 if the new player chooses that team.

One team is jump mobile and has the hatchet to suggest melee play, the other team works together to support each other. I let the new players pick which team they want. I think I also had one with a HBK-4G, but it's swingy. If they keep missing the big gun it's a disappointment.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Signal posted:

I went into teaching two new players at once in a 3-way fight thinking this - they got the Griffin and Wolverine respectively - but between weapons and physicals, my Shadow Hawk weirdly ended up the last 'Mech standing.

I think there was only one real turn in which they focused on each other instead of me, too. Out of 20 turns, because 55-tonners in the era are just that durable

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, "durable" insofar as they're usually pretty incapable of finishing each other off. :haw:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
55 tonners are way too durable for a teaching game. The game abruptly ending to a weird combo of dice rolls ripping a light mechs leg off on turn 3 is a feature.

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011

Strobe posted:

55 tonners are way too durable for a teaching game. The game abruptly ending to a weird combo of dice rolls ripping a light mechs leg off on turn 3 is a feature.

lol yeah - my first CBT game with a buddy was Shadow Hawk vs Wolverine, and it took like 3 hours as we stumbled through the rules until we burned out and mercifully an ammo bin on the Shadow Hawk exploded. I went to Alpha Strike after that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If you're starting with the Clans, I'd recommend medium 'Mechs for training duels. A couple of Storm Crows will cut each other to ribbons pretty nicely.

If you're starting Inner Sphere, I actually suggest dueling Panthers. The Panther isn't a classic light 'mech, but it's fast enough to generate move mods if it tries, it jumps, and it's got a big enough gun that the game won't take forever. Especially if you make blowing off your opponent's PPC a win condition.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

Especially if you make blowing off your opponent's PPC a win condition.

let em go for the hall Mary dfa or try to set up a down one level kick cmon that's half the fun

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Phoenix Hawks make great starter duel mechs. They have a nice array of guns, can punch holes with the LL but encourage you to try getting close to use those MLs and MGs. They're kinda zombies so they demonstrate how durable mechs can be, but all their guns are in their arms to show how a mech can still be upright but it's not worth sticking around, and they have that MG ammo bin just waiting for a lucky roll to show how Battletech can sometimes be wildly random. They can really maneuver and show off modifiers for attacker and target. They're undersinked a bit and can teach you how to manage heat. And finally, they just look loving cool as hell. :colbert:

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

Phoenix Hawks make great starter duel mechs. They have a nice array of guns, can punch holes with the LL but encourage you to try getting close to use those MLs and MGs. They're kinda zombies so they demonstrate how durable mechs can be, but all their guns are in their arms to show how a mech can still be upright but it's not worth sticking around, and they have that MG ammo bin just waiting for a lucky roll to show how Battletech can sometimes be wildly random. They can really maneuver and show off modifiers for attacker and target. They're undersinked a bit and can teach you how to manage heat. And finally, they just look loving cool as hell. :colbert:

If your mech wasn't originally designed for an anime, it's trash.

In other news, getting 30+ year old primer under a half dozen layers of paint off a mech is really REALLY annoying.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If it's a pewter miniature, use Acetone (nail polish remover).

If it's plastic, good luck (use 95+% Isopropyl Alcohol)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

If it's a pewter miniature, use Acetone (nail polish remover).

If it's plastic, good luck (use 95+% Isopropyl Alcohol)!

I have had them soaking in pure LA's Totally Awesome, with intermittent scrubbing, for several days now, and am also using Simple Green now (I ran out of LA's). Both work better than IPA generally, and did very well taking off most of the paint. The 99% IPA I've been using for another several mechs has done not nearly as well.

It's just stuck on really really well.