Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

The Acolyte trailer also has that fan-film vibe that's easy to spot but hard to articulate.

Flashy fight choreography. A camera that feels unmotivated and floaty with slight push ins all over the place. Limited set sizes. Ponderous closeups. Insisting on a Cool New Twist on things you recognize and not trusting that the audience will notice if it isn't emphasized.

All exacerbated by the quick cut epic trailer style and generic music.

Compare to the Andor teaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5UX1Adanis

The one second shot at 0:48 was when I knew we were in good hands, just perfect.

e: and the multi-directional elevators at 1:01 really sealed the deal, virtuosic take on the Lucas obsession with abstract motion and momentum. Yes it's miserable gritty Star Spies but it's still also Star Wars.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Acolyte looks rough. Fan film is definitely the way to put it. Just small and cheap, like a modern version of a 90s fantasy show.

Also, disturbing lack of weird little guys in that trailer.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Larryb posted:

There are no more new shows on the horizon currently after Skeleton Crew right? I know Andor and Ahsoka are getting another season eventually and I believe Mando is getting both the movie AND a Season 4 if I heard correctly

More broadly it seems like The Mouse is winding down the live action Marvel shows as well.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I saw the exclusive Acolyte scene at my TPM screening and if it helps I definitely thought "finally, a well-choreographed fight scene in a Star Wars show"

though thinking on it, the butcher shop fight in BOBF was also pretty sick imo