Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
You step out into a cavernous limestone corridor long-since stripped of any value. Your sword at your side, you raise your lantern and peer into the dark. The corridor seems to run on forever. Cautious, you press forward, only to fall back against the stonework, a familiar pain in your gut. A terrible growl fills the darkness.

You're pretty hungry. We've just the thing.

Dungeon Meshi, also known as Dungeon Food or Delicious in Dungeon, is a high fantasy adventure series (inspired by the likes of D&D and Wizardry) with a charming preoccupation for cooking. Monsters, specifically. Our intrepid heroes, the Thorden Party, find themselves on a deadline to reach the bottom of the dungeon on a tight budget, with no recourse but to survive off the fat of the land - by which I mean they eat pretty much everything they kill.

Opinions within the party are divided.

But not on this website! Dungeon Meshi's been pretty consistently popular around here, so it's about time it got its own thread. This is it. This is the thread. Finally.

If you're just joining us, Dungeon Meshi is a veritable treat. Written and illustrated by the talented Ryoko Kui, Dungeon Meshi combines a fondness for old school fantasy adventure, character comedy, and delicious food that will never exist - with an unexpectedly keen eye for understated worldbuilding, monster biology, and dungeon ecology.

Laius, the human fighter, is the leader of the group. A simple man, he wants nothing more than to save his sister from the bowels of the dungeon (or, more specifically, the bowels of a dragon). Also to eat monsters. All the monsters. Seriously. He's been keeping a notebook for years.

Marcille, the elven mage, provides the party with some much-needed magical artillery, and would probably be more useful if she weren't always freaking out about having to eat monsters. Reads from the restricted section of the library. Shrimpin' ain't easy.

Chilchack, the halfling rogue, is the locksmith and brains of the outfit. Not really a people person. Or a monster person. He's been dead before. Nice scarf-thing.

Senshi, the dwarven fighter and newest addition to the group, is a wandering gourmet chef who specializes in cooking monsters and dungeon survival. He and Laius are now bestest buds. Not much is known about him, however.

Add salt for seasoning. Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dungeon meshi is my second favorite manga ever, it is great

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!

This series is pretty consistently incredible. Everything that Kui Ryoko has done is great, but in this case she's managed to come up with some really neat takes on classic Dungeons and Dragons/Wizardry stuff. There's lots of isekais and whatever that try to subvert typical fantasy tropes, but Kui just takes these old-school ideas and really thinks them through and how they would actually work within the confines of this world. The whole Mimic part is still one of my favorites in the series and it's such a cool way of incorporating them into the world.

HouseofGlass fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 15, 2018

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

This series is really good

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

To clarify for the benefit of any new readers: Dungeon Meshi is not isekai.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
This is probably my favourite manga. It's all well thought out, with interactions between elements of magic, character and worldbuilding all woven together into something believable within the framework of the world. The characters are all interesting and engaging, there's very little dumb fanservice or tone-deaf sex stuff, and despite being nominally good guys the main cast are all a little... strange. Endearingly strange, but strange enough that people just meeting them are like 'wow you guys have spent too long down here'. I can't wait to see what happens next!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You're a good egg, Seafood. This here is a delicious manga that we've managed to cook up in this here thread. :)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Dog Kisser posted:

The characters are all interesting and engaging, there's very little dumb fanservice or tone-deaf sex stuff,

Clarification: there is no fanservice or tone-deaf sex stuff. Not that I can recall at least. It actually gently pokes fun at this when Marcille, the elf, gets grabbed by a moving vine, and then Laius says to her "Being held firmly, but not uncomfortably like that must feel pretty good." And then Marcille makes this :catstare: face at him. It's great.

EDIT: Also I am so waiting on someone to cook up a D&D adventure module based on this setting. With all the detailed worldbuilding I think it'd be fairly easy!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 15, 2018

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I can’t believe Chilchuck is a deadbeat dad

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Marcille is my role model.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

DrSunshine posted:

Clarification: there is no fanservice or tone-deaf sex stuff.

Well, we did see the catgirl with no shirt on once. To which everybody's response (including her response to everyone else's response) was fantastic.

The characterization is the best part of this manga. Everybody is just slightly unhinged in the best way. Laius more than most.

thetoughestbean posted:

I can't believe Chilchuck is a deadbeat dad

I sort of can. He's a lot more of that roguish personality type than people give him credit for.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

thetoughestbean posted:

I can’t believe Chilchuck is a deadbeat dad
He probably listens to the medieval equivalent of middle-period Green Day and has bad manners while at home. :ssh:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Dungeons, Drive-ins, & Dives

:five:

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I read this fully a while back when there were way fewer chapters, and the living armor explanation always stuck in my head.

The idea of living armor being a colony of interlocking shellfish was pretty cool.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Dungeon Meshi is merely good entertainment, but I'm a forgiving creature

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DrSunshine posted:

Clarification: there is no fanservice or tone-deaf sex stuff. Not that I can recall at least. It actually gently pokes fun at this when Marcille, the elf, gets grabbed by a moving vine, and then Laius says to her "Being held firmly, but not uncomfortably like that must feel pretty good." And then Marcille makes this :catstare: face at him. It's great.

EDIT: Also I am so waiting on someone to cook up a D&D adventure module based on this setting. With all the detailed worldbuilding I think it'd be fairly easy!

I wrote some monster cooking rules! https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SkXP2f25m

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy crap! That's just... too cool for words! :dance:

Tetra, are you kosher with your monster-cooking rules being in the OP? Seafood, is it cool if you put a link to this in the OP?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry, did I come off as too loony of a fanboy? :ohdear:

I like 'lore-looking stuff like what you wrote.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hahaha, thanks!

I'm fine with it being in the OP.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Wark Say posted:

Holy crap! That's just... too cool for words! :dance:

Tetra, are you kosher with your monster-cooking rules being in the OP? Seafood, is it cool if you put a link to this in the OP?

More importantly, is monster meat kosher?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Depends but the proper slaughter of monsters for them to be kosher is difficult given that they are trying to rip your face apart

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Only if the cleric is a rabbi.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
This is a Good Manga

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Kuro the kobold is the best character. He's basically a bipedal Akita dog who wears armor, bites monsters, and gets paid in treats.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The best character is any elf because wow they are just all good.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The best chapter was the one with the mimics based on their perceptions of each other, and the revelation of how incredibly poorly they thought of each other.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like the painting one a lot, its such a good way to dish out a bunch of world building stuff without just being straight exposition. Ryoko Kui is really good at that.

The elf one is also good, because I like the elves a lot and those group shots are amazing.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Plenty of monsters to steal for my own D&D campaigns. The jewel bugs were especially creative.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think the living armor explanation is probably the coolest one

This is a very, very good series

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
So much happen in this last chapter I forgot Marcille's hair style changed once again. I like her new hair a lot.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I know everyone is probably reading scans but please support the official releases if you can

I switched over to them and am not current on scans so won't be sticking around as to avoid spoiling myself lol

it's a super good manga tho

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I like Dungeon Meshi so much its one of the few mangas i own a physical copy of

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

I own four copies (vols 1-4). :cool:

copy
Jul 26, 2007

HouseofGlass posted:

There's lots of isekais and whatever that try to subvert typical fantasy tropes, but Kui just takes these old-school ideas and really thinks them through and how they would actually work within the confines of this world. The whole Mimic part is still one of my favorites in the series and it's such a cool way of incorporating them into the world.

I love this part of it so much. The author does a great job making it a real world that makes sense with its own logic. In my life of playing tabletop RPGs, it's probably the best take on "Gygaxian Naturalism" I've ever seen. It's really refreshing and fun, and does a good job of making things seem magical and full of wonderment/terror.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

:five: YES. Freaking borrowed. If I get a chance I might want to crop a few images of the dungeon layou, the island and town and so on too, to throw in the OP and be more fodder for a potential DM.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Clarste posted:

As a Jew who no longer maintains kosher, I couldn't tell you. At the end of the day, though? If it's trying to kill you, it's fair game. :twisted:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

DrSunshine posted:

I own four copies (vols 1-4). :cool:

Missing volume 5 there guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post