Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

NmareBfly posted:

Winged Lion should clearly be voiced by the same guy that does the narration.

This is such a good idea I might actually be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

Actually no, yeah, this would be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
the same guy that does the narration.: Dungeon meshi... aah, dungeo m--WHAT ARE YOU, A TOTAL MORON?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

NmareBfly posted:

Yeah, this is the winner. Winged Lion being the narrator would be perfect.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

NmareBfly posted:

I'd been thinking that might happen since the first episode but the voice and line delivery don't really feel like a match. But I guess it also comes down the range of roles that the Winged Lion takes on throughout the story. The English narrator VA feels believable as the "earnest" deceiver of the early Winged Lion, but it's hard to imagine him as -- for example -- a rapacious predator, "noble" guardian servant, demonic seducer, or grandiose god-villain; all masques/mask-offs of the WL at various points. Japanese narrator VA feels better for the more antagonistic of these, but he has a vibe that doesn't feel earnest or innocent at all, and also a bit too clinical and didactic. French and German narrators feel more plausible on bridging the gap; the German has a slightly lighthearted but studious and yearning quality with an unexpressed potential, while the French... yeah I could buy the French narrator as the Winged Lion in every capacity. If it does end up that way, I'll listen to the WL scenes on the French dub.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I love that the anime has been adding some lil bits here and there to make the wing lion more present from the beginning.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Been re-reading the story starting after the red dragon and the Golden Country arc made me wonder, will the anime be showing off full frontal topless minotaurs or is there some broadcast standard that would prevent it?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
We saw Marcille's butt in the last episode so I doubt it.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Preview is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP5TDxEMdwY

Insanely heavy spoilers so I wouldn't post it in the other thread. Glad we're getting "I don't wanna lose you guys" next.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Sagabal posted:

Preview is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP5TDxEMdwY

Insanely heavy spoilers so I wouldn't post it in the other thread. Glad we're getting "I don't wanna lose you guys" next.

man Thistle's got great hair

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
other than that very good preview it's been a slow news day, so time to post some very important fanart

[x]

[x]

https://x.com/elfilibust/status/1754091930701767104?s=20

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Does anyone have that bonus page where Ryoko Kui drew all the characters' spice tolerances / eating curry? I remember seeing Fleki being super into it. :laffo:

Thanks!

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
there may be more than one image, but:

curry type and spiciness (fleki is like 'hotter! hotter! HOTTER!')

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Is this chart based on actual spiciness, or is it based on Japanese spiciness where anyone left of Chilchuck would die if they smelled a jalfrezi?

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Is this chart based on actual spiciness, or is it based on Japanese spiciness where anyone left of Chilchuck would die if they smelled a jalfrezi?

Translated pages:

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

lmao at unseasoned tomato being too spicy for patty

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Green curry Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah face owns

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
all those faces are fantastic

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Rohan Kishibe posted:

This is definitely indexed to Japanese levels of spiciness, because a "Regular" level of spiciness according to the average of the rest of the world starts around Fleki's green curry.

Oh my god I love Fleki though. She's an insane drug addict, but she's great.

EDIT: I just realized that the depictions of Flonil eating a fairly high level of spiciness are somehow the only depictions of her where she's not crying :lol:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 25, 2024

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

fleki spinoff when, give the people what they want kui

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

lol at Chil having blasted out his gut and sitting out on day 2

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

DrSunshine posted:

This is definitely indexed to Japanese levels of spiciness, because a "Regular" level of spiciness according to the average of the rest of the world starts around Fleki's green curry.

this rings false because 1) white people exist and 2) in my experience, even for thai palates, green curry is medium-high spicy

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lol at Butter Chicken being under spicy tho

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
several characters eat the same things but show up at different heat levels so it's more likely the chart indicates how spicy they requested their meals to be rather than how spicy kui perceives those specific dishes

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

DrSunshine posted:

EDIT: I just realized that the depictions of Flonil eating a fairly high level of spiciness are somehow the only depictions of her where she's not crying :lol:
Funny as that would be, that's Namari.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Jerkface posted:

Green curry Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah face owns

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Synthbuttrange posted:

Lol at Butter Chicken being under spicy tho

To be exact it's Butter Chicken Curry, so I assume there is some extra spice being thrown in.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I know what it is, I get it every so often at the local indian place but it's still not a spicy curry at all.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
The fact that green curry is considered insane-o drooling hot also indicates that the standards here are fairly mild, though.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
as mentioned, they're each ordering a curry dish and then specifying how spicy they want it. have y'all... not been to a curry place before? :confused:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah curry type and curry spiciness are not always directly related to me. might be different in Japan (or, you know, anywhere in SEA) but you usually pick the one you want AND the spiciness. There's some amount of crossover, like a vindaloo is probably gonna be baseline spicier but places around here will let you order a mild one if you want. Note even that Falin gets spicy cream croquette on second day but... Kiki? gets a mild one.

Report on Reddit from some tweets from people who saw the theatrical presentation of 11-13 that we're getting a new OP / ED.

I bet the new OP is at the end of ep 13, like the first OP was credits on e1.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 26, 2024

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
There's a Japanese curry diner not far from me where heat and meat/veggies/etc are separate elements of the order; I've never asked them but my best guess is that either they start with a mild base and mix in extra spice, or more likely they use roux blocks with predetermined heat levels. (These still aren't very hot imo) Expand those ideas out to other types of curry bases and the chart makes sense to me.

lol that Pattadol goes milder on Day 2 and still can't handle it. Fleki should be in charge of Mithrun's meals because I wanna see him eat the hottest food completely straight-faced while she's losing her poo poo right next to him.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Those two pages are absolutely crammed with character details. Fleki is obvious, but you have Chilchuck going too far, too fast and then regretting it the next day, Senshi actually going up a level in spiciness, Namari not caring about how spicy the food is, but she gotta have those large portions (unlike Tade, who has super large portion, but also very much cares about the spiciness), Pattadol being defeated by a regular summer veggies, but still coming back the next day for another go (unlike some other losers, Chilchuck excluded), the ninja sisters being at the absolutely opposite ends of spiciness tolerance and, of course, Izutsumi being Izutsumi. :allears:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
You also have Marcelle being the one person who doesn't change their order between days and Laios presumably hearing how good the Eggplant was from Falin on day 1 and opting to include it in his day 2 meal,

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just finished my first reread since the last chapter was published and i think dungeon meshi has landed in my top 3 all time manga along with golden kamuy and one piece. just so unbelievably funny and compelling. im glad the anime is doing it justice

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Fun little bit of izutsumi nail trimming fan art...

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Suleman posted:

Translated pages:

I think Fleki and I would be good friends. :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What books are there besides the main volumes and the adventurers bible?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I believe there’s another bible and there’s the collection of art books called Daydream Hour that Kui released, which are mostly just the crew in contemporary outfits

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
iirc adventurer's bible is expanded lore, worldbuilding and character backstories, while Daydream Hour is more freeform illustrations and doodles, plus some notes on Kui's creative process. And yes, lots of pics of the gang in Christmas sweaters. lots... but not enough...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
in addition to the modern AU illustrations the daydream hours tend to showcase characters' mundane day to days (how someone puts on their armor or does their hair), insights into how different characters interact with each other without dialogue, designs for different races that never show up in the manga, and occasionally short comics. lots of minor world/character-building that wouldn't fit in the main manga or the more strictly organized adventurer's bible