Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm doing a first read of the manga after becoming enthralled by the anime, so I'll just post my thoughts without looking at the thread directly in case of unmarked spoilers.

Anyways, I thought there were some great moments already, but chapter 49 almost had me bursting into tears at a company pitch meeting today. Senshi... :sympathy:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
On chapter 62 now:

The plot is getting super interesting now, but I think the author basically thought "what would be the funniest way the apocalypse could happen?" and then worked backwards from there to construct the story. :lmao:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I just finished the whole series. What an incredible loving ride that was! :aaaaa:

I'm incredibly grateful and lucky that I could devour the series in a few bites rather than having to wait each week/month/whatever for the next chapter.

e: I think the main prediction I was way off on was that I was expecting Falin to join the party and help them defeat the Mad Mage since it's kind of an RPG trope of teasing a strong class or character early on then save them until the end to let them use their full potential (eg Shin Megami Tensei's Cerebus), but then the plot twist came and well... She pretty much got literally put on ice for the rest of the story. The twist with the demon observing the party and being the source of power behind the Dungeon Lord was insanely cool. Things got downright surreal near the end which I absolutely adored.

And yet! Somehow! This loving manga never let up on being incredibly hilarious and touching too! I feel like a lot of adventure mangas with demons and death etc start out fun but get incredibly cynical and dark-spirited by the end, yet deep down this manga never loses its charm or goofy spirit. God I love this manga so much!

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 15, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What are the chances that the author was partly inspired by Dwarf Fortress? Digging too deep and greedily leading to demons flooding in from an extradimensional space to kill everyone and escape to wreak havoc on the surface sounds very dorfy to me. :iit:

E: couldn't help but think of this anytime the Winged Lion showed up randomly:

https://youtube.com/shorts/9zgCOUOtzyk?si=K536OsmAL24bKw-y

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 15, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Come to think of it, like Laios I too think animals, their psychology, etc are much more agreeable and fascinating than humans.

But also like Laios, I do and interpret things in a way that makes people question my mental state.

What I’m saying is that this manga gets it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Oh my god poo poo is gonna pop off so hard in the anime once the Mad Magician/Thistle and Chimera Falin show up and it only gets crazier from then on. Ughhhhh I cannot wait!

e: I have some questions I've been wondering about that I'm not quite clear on.

Kabru's hometown, Utaya. I get that it was overrun by monsters and everyone died, but the demon didn't actually come out then. Why? Was Thistle's desires too small for the demon to feed on (ie only concerned about King Delgal and the Golden Country rather than changing the whole world)?

Also, why was Izatsumi so sleepy in the Golden Country? I'm not sure if they gave a definitive answer to that or if I'm just misremembering.

Another one: Why are Mithrun's eyes so hosed up? Did he stroke out after the demon ate most of his desires?

e2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Hr2_uX73o&t=14s

It's probably been shared here before, but the character design in Dungeon Meshi is indeed striking and I wish more manga/comics/media in general reflected diverse body types. Even though she's a minor character, I am infatuated with the giant oni girl's (Toude) muscular/tall with peach-shaped body type combined with her simple but cheerful personality. People should not feel pressured or constrained to limit character designs within societal biases or preconceptions.

e3:

Low-poly Dungeon Meshi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpWFlRhsiHM

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 16, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Diephoon posted:

I binge read the manga thanks to the anime and there's SO much I'm looking forward to seeing animated with how well things have been done up til now.

ch. 65

I posted this in the favorite panels thread earlier, but it's probably in my top 3 panels in this manga and/or ever. Every time I look at it I start cackling like a madman. That whole sequence is so deranged it's absurd.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Rand Brittain posted:

Thistle is definitely the correct one; the adventurer's bible comments that he's named after the thistle plant. The manga translation gets this wrong, along with assuming that he's female because the original used ambiguous pronouns.

To be honest, I thought both Thistle and Mithrun were female at first. :v:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Apart from the bonus material at the end of each volume, what other extraneous or supplementary Dungeon Meshi material should I check out?

E: I love how Kui seems to genuinely enjoy drawing her characters in different clothing and situation you wouldn't normally get in the canon material, like modern street clothes.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I wish I could wipe my memory and experience this series all over again. :allears:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jerkface posted:

I love the OP. The opening guitar strumming really sets a great fantasy mood.

:same:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Suleman posted:

Translated pages:

I think Fleki and I would be good friends. :allears:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I just finished watching the Wizardry OVA. I'm a bit surprised at just how much of its influence made its way into Dungeon Meshi, from a cunning jester-like figure to spellcasters becoming faint after casting spells to a "demon" lurking at the bottom level and the dungeon falling apart once they're defeated.

e: Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOTHNoODYmY&t=1054s

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is Dungeon Meshi merch particularly common in Tokyo? I'll be there for a few days in early May during their Golden Week, hoping to score a Senshi plushie if possible. One of the illustrated Dungeon Meshi guides would also be welcome. Not sure where to look, though, since it'll be my first time in Japan.

e: ^^^ Speaking of the fairies, I didn't quite get how they functioned during my first read-through. Are they like the Den Den Snails in One Piece where they look like the speaker?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Apraxin posted:

i think it's still mostly in pre-production - there's going to be some kind of event at the tokyo sky tree from 4/27 to 5/6 where it should be available. pre-order tickets are only available on a site that requires a japanese mailing address (and maybe payment method), but if it doesn't sell out i think you can pay at the door?

https://exhibition-delicious-in-dungeon.com/

Yessss! I will try and see if I can get a ticket through my hotel when I arrive. Looks like a fantastic opportunity to get DM merch, thanks for the heads-up! :waycool:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Apraxin posted:

no worries. i'm also going to be in tokyo (first time back in japan since i lived there 15 years ago), but only for the final day of the exhibition, so probably won't be much left at that point even if tickets are still available. acquire merchandise vicariously for me lol.

Of course! I'll definitely take pictures wherever I can. It looks they'll even be selling that awesome Fallin stomach skeleton shirt (I doubt it'll fit me, though, unless they have 3XL Asian fit lol).

Also this photo op looks amazing:

:allears:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Valentin posted:

(and another thing ryoko kui has incredible command of is pacing and scope)

Yeah, that's something I admire about this series - i.e., everything feels like it belongs in telling the story and there isn't any filler. If anything, the world building and character design is so rich that I constantly want to know and seek out more info about the setting and the people in it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
BTW for whoever recommended the Delicious in Dungeon expo earlier, apparently I need to register an account before I can order a ticket and attach a Japanese mobile phone number so the website can call me to authenticate the account.... But I don't have a Japanese phone number yet, so I guess that's not happening. Do I need to wait until I arrive in Japan to have my hotel help me purchase the ticket? Honestly the way Japan seems to handle reserving tickets and restaurants is simply maddening if you're still overseas, so I don't know how you all do this stuff. :psyboom:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I know Japan sometimes has those pop-up themed cafes, so it'd be the easiest money-maker ever to throw up a Dungeon Meshi cafe.

I want to try ghost ice cream, drat it!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
God I wish I had selective amnesia just so I could read this wonderful manga all over again. :allears:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh hey it's the Demon

Holy poo poo I did not notice that on my first read :psyduck: good catch!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I think someone here posted a picture from the Delicious in Dungeon expo, so I have a problem/question I need to ask:

I’m currently in Tokyo now and have tried getting my hotel concierge’s help in registering for the event online and even they couldn’t help me ie how to input half-width and full-width furigana for my name, password etc for making an account on the eplus website. :smithicide:

I’m afraid tickets will sell out if I wait until the day of the event on Saturday, so would I be able to reserve a ticket in advance by going in person today? I was planning on heading to Akihabara this afternoon anyways which seems close to Solamachi, so just wondering if this method would work so I don’t waste time and money on a trip there.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Apraxin posted:

per the website, tickets are available at the door so long as the pre-sale tickets aren't sold out, but doesn't specify if you can get a ticket at the door for anything other than same-day entry.

the event's on every day from 4/27 through to next Monday, so you could probably go any day between now and then and see if they either have same-day tickets or will let you book ahead? Solamachi's got a lot of fun stuff in the complex - you could go up the Skytree or to the aquarium etc. so it wouldn't be a wasted trip even if the expo's a bust.

Literally on my way over to Solamachi now to attend the expo, so I guess I’ll find out! Super super excited!! :dance::dance::dance:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Man, this is heartbreaking. And my flight back is tomorrow too so this was my last chance. :smith:

E: Okay, after talking with the staff I have a crazy plan. My flight is at 2 pm, so I will be at Solamachi again by 9:30 am tomorrow with my luggage to be at the ticket counter right as it opens at 10 am. Go in, enjoy the exhibit for an hour, then be at Haneda by 12 pm. Does that sound doable??

And if it's still sold out again, then at least I tried my best and will get to the airport on time anyways. Win-win!

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 4, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I literally ran into the building as soon as it opened and I was able to get a ticket at the front of the line! :woop:

Will share pics later!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
A little teaser while I'm on my way to the airport: