Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sockpuppetclock posted:

I'd rather it not... the series already feels "complete" as a manga and I really don't know what studio could even give it the treatment is deserves. Also in my mind every episode would have a meticulous 30 minute segment dedicated entirely to them cooking which is unfortunately not feasible.

The manga doesn't even spare that much time showing them cooking so idk why you're pushing for 30 minute segments.

Good studios for adaptation:
Bones
J. C. Staff
David Production
KyoAni
Madhouse

Edit: Actually, not KyoAni. They're capable, but probably unlikely due to their own preferences for adaptation.

Brought To You By posted:

I just feel like recent adaptations aren't the best quality as studios have really gotten married to stuff like intermixing 2D and tvCGI and it's not the best looking thing visually. I wouldn't look forward to having the living armors just be copy pasted models or a giant obvious computer generated Dragon.

Some studios are better at it than others and part of it is just experimenting with new techniques available to them. David does the best job as mixing 2D and 3D elements for action sequences right now as far as I'm aware, but it's still fairly new so most studios are figuring out where and when it's best to use the shortcuts made through CG and when not to. This happened when digital animation first entered the scene as it mixed with traditional animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Anora posted:

Judging by the hellscape that is this current time line, the people that will animate this show will be the studio that made Thundercats or Thermae Romae. It is also weird that this series has gone unanimated while SAO has three+ season and 4+ games now. I feel like they could just reskin an Atelier game and get something close, those a more indepth game would be deserved for this series.

Could the Author not want an anime, like the Azumanga guy doesn't for Yotsubato?

SAO has the advantage of being an LN that's targeted for a slightly younger and thus broader demographic so getting an anime adaptation was probably a safer bet in comparison. Anime is all about making money and marketing and while the story is solid, it would probably require a more personal effort and push to get an anime committee going to green light a series since there's not as much obvious merch opportunities (moe or bishounen characters specifically). Video games are an even bigger investment and gamble so I wouldn't hold your breath on that until after an anime is greenlit.

The entire process of getting an anime greenlit is partially a political process and partially an economic evaluation. On the latter end, properties with lots of cheesecake or moe characters and such are easy sells because they have loads of merch potential. On the former, professional or local groups might put in money to get it funded because they have some personal interest or investment in the subject matter being portrayed. There's also the case of the publisher itself just trying to push its own hot properties and that falls into both.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

She decided that humans in-setting are exactly as good as what humans are built for in real life: endurance.

I really do like giving humans a specialty that isn't "adaptable" or "jack of all trades." In this setting, they're work horses without any extra bells and whistles.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mary Annette posted:

Laius may be just a 'stupid fighter' but it's a whole different kind of stupid and it's wonderful.

Laius is well versed in Monster lore. Sadly everythign else is kinda lacking.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
With a fairy? Be Wary

Around Elves, Watch Yourselves.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Elite posted:

Oh god, can you imagine getting caught up on a series then discovering the author is an elf and volumes come out every 20 years or so.

"Oh you're lucky, only 12 years til the next volume!"

:negative:

Ahhhhhh the Togashi of elves.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

I wish more series would get the OVA treatment much like Jojo's bizarre adventure did during the 90s and 00's. I think it's much better for runtimes instead of working around 18-20 minute chunks of plot being put out on a weekly basis you give someone 30+ minutes and a month or two between releases; and I think it would make it easier to organize the chapters leading up to the red dragon, while also making that an episode to itself.

OVAs don't sell DVDs or merch like actual series do. Also airing of anime also generates more revenue and hype than OVA (or ONAs). Even still they'd probably do a variation of the streaming episode model where episodes are still ~25 minutes, but there's a minute or two of flex because it's online. But it's still an entire series because nothing kills hype faster than extended downtime between episodes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
That blonde woman form was definitely Chillack's wife with a little exaggeration.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

noether posted:

for real! I've been getting super burnt out with d&d 5e lately, but this system seems like it'd be a lot of fun to play/run

D&D is not a fun system.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

noether posted:

d&d sucks, but convincing people to experiment with other systems is like pulling teeth @_@

it's possible the group I usually play with might just be particularly stubborn about that though.

Ease them in with something like Dungeon World or some sort of OSR game.

Jen X posted:

d&d is fine

Nah.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jen X posted:

D&D has the advantage of being very well known and also very easy to understand

The first point is true. The second is lol no.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So you know how we were worried about the Lion manipulating and using Laius? I think Laius is safe at this point.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Crasical posted:

I thought the implication was that she was using a Silence spell so that nobody could overhear her, like those noisemakers in Japanese women's restrooms.

That was my assumption with Chilchak basically being super way off.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kung Food posted:

So everyone just going to over look Senshi day dreaming about the best way to butcher and cook Falin?

As someone else said, that was literally the plan with that part.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://ehscans.com/posts/dm/ab1-5/

EHScans has finished the Izutsumi profile and we have the official answer of how many nipples they have.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://cubari.moe/read/gist/JOTPX/73/1/
New Chapter. 73 - Bavarois

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

BEHOLD MY STAND

Someone else did the needful

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The dungeon would be completely empty as Laios perpetually fine tunes the creatures that should be inhabiting it, but never releases them because they're "not done"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Thistle seems to have more in common with Marcille

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'd say the central ideological clash between "the strong should be free to crush the weak" and "society should instill order by turning people into cogs in a grinding machine", and everyone not on a side being too self-interested to provide a third option can be a bit of a downer

It's more historically accurate than should be comfortable.

As another point to boost Gregorius Yamada, here's his twitter where he's doing some medieval combat stuff.

https://twitter.com/yamadieval/status/1523268394794897410

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Crasical posted:

Reading Heterogenous Linguistics, a manga about language, via fan-translated japanese-to-english, is a great way to feel like you're too dumb to follow the plot.

give it a shot though I might *actually* be too stupid for that manga.

Irl linguistics is already a weird and confusing thing not withstanding how each language/dialect (this is a debate distinction) has its own sets of sounds and intonations that might be unique compared to its relatives and possess certain parts of speech or tenses or grammatical ordering of such that others do not.

Then this one goes, "Well what about non-verbal, non-written modes of communication?"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dolash posted:

Again, sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there any indication of where the show will actually come out? Like, are they making it for Netflix, or does it go on Crunchyroll, or what? I'm not very familiar with this sort of development process.

That won't happen until an actual release date is announced and that'll probably be months or more away.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mdct posted:

Allegedly, Netflix has realized that batch-releasing everything is a bad idea, and anime has been doing weekly lately on the service. Vinland Saga, at least, has been getting weekly releases there.

Well someone realized it and made sure Netflix did it, but I'd wager it was more an external decision from other people in the anime committees than an internal one.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Make it 3 2-cour seasons and just have filler episodes were characters walk the runway in modern clothes

Also adventures with the other parties we see in the series including a whole episode that just follows Izutsumi being a cat.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Also, they're probably saving the other Falin form for after because it is a bit of a spoiler.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SexyBlindfold posted:

also figure i'll ask here because i don't know where else - it's the year 2024, is it ok to just use the image's original url or are we still expected to rehost it. is hotlinking still a thing

Site bandwith is basically irrelevant in tyool 2024 so go nuts.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Lots of fun crossover art this for between Frieren, Dungeon Meshi and Apothecary Diaries

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

It's probably been shared here before, but the character design in Dungeon Meshi is indeed striking and I wish more manga/comics/media in general reflected diverse body types. Even though she's a minor character, I am infatuated with the giant oni girl's (Toude) muscular/tall with peach-shaped body type combined with her simple but cheerful personality. People should not feel pressured or constrained to limit character designs within societal biases or preconceptions.

Giant girls in anime seem to come in two flavors: Mommy and gap moe cupcake.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Elfface posted:

Alita was a full-on intentional renaming rather than a mistranslation. It's really more of a Bulma Clause.

This is discussed further in various Bulma Briefs

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Terrifying Effigies posted:

They've pretty consistently kept to no more than 2-3 chapters an episode and they've kept in pretty much everything so far. At the current pace the season should wrap up with Kabru & Mithrun falling with Thistle & Falin from the 1st floor.

At the same pace it looks like an 8 episode 3rd season would get to Chapter 72 post-Thistle fight and the Canaries showing up at the cottage, with another 8 episode final season to wrap up the Canaries, Marcille, Winged Lion, and Falin.

What crazy world is this that 8 episode cours exist (without 4-5 other episodes for other stuff planned)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Donkringel posted:

Oh good call, I forgot that there was so much world building because the mangaka is a huge medieval history nerd.

That being said if you like Golden Kamuy's world building through historical fiction, then this is right up there.

The author does a really good job of balancing real life historical life and fantasy rpg stuff. A funny example are the deed recorders. IRL they were basically guys who recorded all of the deeds and victories of the various nobles so they'd be honored (paid) accordingly. In the series, they're doing that, but it comes out as an RPG style damage log for the purposes of distributing XP.