Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
goddamn kui is talented. Those ogre/oni designs blew me away. I kind of wish she was a creative lead for some larger project in a game or anime studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I dunno, Laios seemed to figure out a decent enough direct way to solve the dungeon problem that i'm assuming is going to end with everyone mostly ok. And he's an idiot!

Tbh he was probably only able to get to this particular outcome because he's a weird idiot genius. No one else had the right blend of fixations, knowledge, and outlook to be able to take this approach.

I actually think there's maybe a bit of meta-commentary there in terms of Kui's self-perspective; and, really, that Laios has been her author-insert more than any other character for most of the manga, or more specifically, that she has a very strong inner Laios which has been sincerely represented in the Dungeon Meshi character. All the signs point to her having some very freaky tastes (which this chapter *really* shows off) by most people's standards, but the key point is that this is essential to her artistic identity and success. I didn't go into this chapter expecting to see weird spiritual cannibalism/soul-vore erotic not-bestiality in the compositional style of a Renaissance painting themed to Goya (though in retrospect of earlier Lion/Demon chapters and her other works I really should've), but that's what Kui conceived and delivered. And it's superb. It's one of those things that'll stick in your brain forever as a benchmark of masterful creative vision. It's actually the work of a genius, in the exclusive holy-poo poo-she's-one-of-a-kind sense. I wouldn't be able to see anything precisely like it from anyone else because no one else has that idiosyncratic mix of particular Kui weirdness, circumstances, and talent to tread the path that led to this scene and its chapter - and Dungeon Meshi, more broadly -- taking form the way they did.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
Everything Kui has made is good, but I love her tendencies towards tragedy the most. The Beast still stands out for how perfectly it distills itself, the re-layering of a brief and brutal deconstruction of a common fairy tale with conflicted perspective to create something morally and emotionally complex and heart-wrenching. And that one panel scene -- everyone who's read it knows which -- simple and austere, but tapping that same essence as Ivan the Terrible and His Son. It's the crack cocaine of melancholy.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Metis of the Chat Thread posted:

I thought I had it figured it out but then she has the one elf who gets mistaken for male but is a woman (and a dirtbag lesbian only dates short-lived women and breaks up with them before they hit thirty)
to be slightly fair to Otta I think the implication/subtext is that she's the one getting dumped when the halfling women get too emotionally mature for her bullshit.

e; Also on reflection I don't think it was ever explicitly outlined what kind of "human trafficking" she engaged in -- that term can range to include everything between trading in slaves to sneaking (non-elven, esp. f. half-foot) people through (elven) borders. (but of course I could just be failing to remember.) Knowing the elves of this setting and the apparent casualness of demi-human slavery, it feels like border violations would be the much likelier thing to qualify as a criminal offense in elven law.

Hiveminded fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 21, 2024

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Lt. Lizard posted:

Other Canaries explicitly mention that she is the one who dumps them.

Also excerpt from The Adventurer's Bible regarding Otta: "She was a merchant before joining the Canaries, and she sold a great variety of things, ranging from ancient magical artifacts to monsters and people."

There is absolutely no need to be even slightly fair to Otta. :v:

Her canary coworkers (Fleki and Lycion especially, bless them both) aren't a reliable end-point for how things actually went down in her personal history lol. The way she gets super flustered/embarrassed and says "it ends up that way due to extreme circumstances!" on her first dedicated page suggests she's the one getting ditched instead of the other way around. Her pulling a DiCaprio doesn't make sense with half-foots in particular, either, because they largely retain their appearance up until old age. 30 is still well into middle-aged for a half-foot developmentally and psychologically, though (and we see it demonstrated again and again how Chilchuck is overall the most responsible and emotionally mature in the party despite being younger than Marcille and Senshi); keeping up a relationship for years and years with a "roguish" elf you connected with as a teen or young adult, who hasn't settled down or emotionally matured hardly at all in the decade+ you've been with her, would be frustrating and stupid for someone who's reached that stage in their life. And now imagine as an elf, for Otta's part, how demeaning it would be to openly admit to other elves that your partners from a short-lived race (which most other elves barely recognise as full-fledged people, much less equals) keep dumping you.

Kui is meticulous and subtle enough with her character work that I think it's fruitful to opt for reading between the lines even for a minor character like Otta. I could be wrong about all of it ofc and she could be a full-blown Leo; and on the other part of it, I'm not going to say Otta didn't or *wouldn't* sell people -- just that we don't know her history well, and that her only actions which the elves would recognise as Crimes would probably be the ancient artifacts smuggling and border violations into Elf America.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

NmareBfly posted:

Winged Lion should clearly be voiced by the same guy that does the narration.

This is such a good idea I might actually be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

I'd been thinking that might happen since the first episode but the voice and line delivery don't really feel like a match. But I guess it also comes down the range of roles that the Winged Lion takes on throughout the story. The English narrator VA feels believable as the "earnest" deceiver of the early Winged Lion, but it's hard to imagine him as -- for example -- a rapacious predator, "noble" guardian servant, demonic seducer, or grandiose god-villain; all masques/mask-offs of the WL at various points. Japanese narrator VA feels better for the more antagonistic of these, but he has a vibe that doesn't feel earnest or innocent at all, and also a bit too clinical and didactic. French and German narrators feel more plausible on bridging the gap; the German has a slightly lighthearted but studious and yearning quality with an unexpressed potential, while the French... yeah I could buy the French narrator as the Winged Lion in every capacity. If it does end up that way, I'll listen to the WL scenes on the French dub.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
Love the anime's new OP -- a bright and pretty glam-up on "all of these delicious fuckers are getting ate by satan."

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
Senshi's flaws are low-key because he's a low-key guy. I'd say it's actually Chilchuck who's the least-flawed member of the party -- the only things you can really count against him are his occasional abrasiveness and lack of honesty.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Marsupial Ape posted:

A natural ambush tactic, really.

I'm all caught up. What is the group hive mind consensus on long, wikipedia link laden articles? I have things to say about emergently complex systems and paperclip apocalypses, but, unlike Laois, I know nobody really gives a poo poo.

I think a lot of people already have unstated intuitions in place on how the Winged Lion and much of its history is also a very plausible depiction/metaphor of an apocalyptic paperclip/"utility"-maximising superintelligence like what might emerge in our own future (if the AI-spooked techbrosphere is to be taken at all seriously) -- assuming that's what you were getting at -- but do share your own thoughts!

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

chrome line posted:

Maybe male dragons take part in the incubation as well? Or maybe it wasn't male and I made that up

The dragon was male but it doesn't really matter for what's going on with the end result. The body turned into fleshgoo raw ingredients, re-funneled into Falin upon the very basic draconic template Thistle has reused likely thousands of times. Faligon is a one-of-a-kind abomination with dysfunctional anatomy created from meat slurry by a delusional wizard so the unknowable answer to the most Laios question is in you dear audience.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmao you can track how many people breaking down after watching the anime and reading the whole manga just by looking at the progress of the fanart. :3

The world(/my inbox) is not ready for the flood that'll come with season 2 Mithrun and WL

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Scholtz posted:

She's practically a child

Do people honestly think she's hot?

I don't think her age gets directly brought up for a while and I'm sure a ton of people won't catch on to the very overt "actual teenage kid" signals she has in her introduction. Probably not helping the anime-onlies either that her voice in every language's dub is that of an older-ish gruff lady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Clarste posted:

Her voice is definitely very different from how I imagined it in the manga.

Yeeeaaahhh I'm not sure how the voice direction messed up like that for her when every other casting choice has been at least decent. The Japanese voice actress (probably should've clarified "every language's dub but the original") is pretty on point with the character expectation of "teenage cat girl" so maybe it was miscommunication between the Japanese production crew and voice direction counterparts in other countries on Izutsumi specifically.