Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
so fucken good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
This remains my favorite current running manga, its honestly a triumph.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
underrated part of the chapter was misurn using kabru as a projectile

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
There is nothing these guys can't figure out how to eat. I love it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Thats a very funny meme but also goddamn i love the art in this manga, thats such a cool drawing of Marcille

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I love her art style and thats a great sketch book!! I don't know what pages I like more all the kobolds & ogres? marcille dancing?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I'd say the clothing options in the artbook are pretty solid way of seeing which gender each of the elves is.

It don't matter when its elven, baby

/Frost

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I think its the combination of her distinctiveness as everyone has mentioned and then an ability to imbue a kind of "real life" aesthetic into the characters. Its the little touches! Most fantasies don't spend the time on that poo poo, it really elevates the work. The different expression, reactions, small movements, actions, etc the characters take outside of the typical fantasy fighting are great. To elaborate I think many fantasy manga or anime can have characters do a funny reaction or something but its usually not grounded in the setting. Its blatantly comedic or anachronistic. Dungeon Meshi characters act within their universe in very human ways which are well captured by the drawing style. Just thinking of the 9 panel of marcille doing her hair, great poo poo.

It is very funny as someone who can maybe draw 1 kind of eyeball to see the page with like 3 dozen different eye sets. Show off!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 21, 2020

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
they look like they're about to say something extremely racist about hobbits

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
every panel more glorious than the last

major, giant dungeon monster erupting from the ground flags on that, thats gotta be one of the weirdest/strongest "desires" ever to exist in a dungeon
\/\/\/

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 16, 2020

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
This is my favorite panel just for the different rabbit poses

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I love all the dumbasses currently stuck in the dungeon, all of them.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Aghhh so good and yet so argh at the same time!!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Ahegao but for curry

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 13, 2020

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Wat da faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak but so many great panels and faces

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Amazing chapter, I like that Laius has become pretty quick on his feet throughout the whole story but also due to his love of monsters is able to overcome the situation. Its a good culmination of everything he has gone through!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
In all these art books and stuff it remains impressive her attention to detail and how she thinks about the setting and characters. A lot of creativity and thoughtfulness!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
To save thistle and return his desires they are gonna feed him daemon soup

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Anora posted:

has there been any word on when it's going back up? hasn't it been like 3 or 4 weeks since it went down?

You can follow updates on their twitter and discord. They are building the new website from scratch and are gonna be doing security testing on it soon.

https://mangadex.org/index.html

quote:

May 6th, 2021

MangaDex v5's MVP API open beta is now live to the public for testing. The API is currently in a read-only state while the frontend is unfinished. Creating/editing/deleting functionalities will be re-enabled in the future. The point of this public beta is to allow people to familiarize themselves with the API and let us know if there's anything we've missed that needs to be fixed, changed, or added in.

API Documentation: here

What's in the API:

Users and Follows/Custom Lists
Manga and Chapter feeds
Groups and Authors
Searching for Manga
And more
(You can read chapters through the API right now, Tachiyomi soonTM...)
(covers are missing)
We understand that some may be frustrated by the lack of complete functionality at this point in time, but it is important to make sure that we build for the future and not for gratification in the present. While we are monitoring the public beta for ways to improve the API and our infrastructure, work will proceed with the front end. We will not be giving an estimated release date at this time, only to say that all front end developers are singularly devoted to reading their manga as quickly as possible!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Carpator Diei posted:

And then there's also the whole human trafficking thing, so I have rather little hope that she's anything else than a completely lovely person.

Its ok, she was only trafficking actual humans, they're basically pets.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Such a fun turn of events. In this situation we know that Laios isnt actually the dungeon master so it makes all the people the party has affected coming to his aid even sweeter. And all the stories involving eating weird monsters was chefs kiss.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

RatHat posted:

Sword controlling magic seems really strong and practical

it makes me think of some theoretical gag manga about some wizard who decided to master "sword controlling magic" which was thought to be one of the weakest and turns out you can just kill everyone before they summon whatever dumb magic they thought was better than hurling a sword into something at great speed

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

dragon enthusiast posted:

was the ancient race always known about? feels like a really weird, important bit of lore to drop just like that

What do you mean? Marcille mentions ancient times, and an ancient war, but I didnt see mention of an ancient race?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Continues to just be the best manga

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
:yeshaha:

Theyre gonna kill and eat the demon

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
What an unexpectedly delightful chapter. I really liked the look into ancient historical peoples of the world, and especially the grim human sacrifice bit. Really evocative stuff.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
its self basting

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
wow that spread was something else - dungeon meshi easily one of the most impressive mangas ive ever read Kui's ability to delight and surprise is tops of artists working today

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh no, don't cure marcille's wife :'(

chapters like these really makes me want to see what ryoko kui would do with a series that goes full on horror (while keeping her trademark comedy)

I'm so torn, on one hand it looks like DM is gonna wrap up soonish - but I'm so greedy I just want more from this world, I want more dungeons more meshi more of all the characters and races. This is why IPs become huge, because if it ends and thats all I get of this crew I would lose my mind!! Even knowing that having Kui do something else would probably be really awesome too.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Perfect PV, kinda nailed the voices my only gripe is that Laius doesnt quite sound doofy enough.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
My favorite manga of all time bar none. I want more more more, i cant wait to watch the anime. Now that the main series is over i just want to recommend it to as many people as possible.

Its a perfect 10. Amazing story, characters, art, design work, everything.

ryoko kui is such a talent, man!!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Synthbuttrange posted:

has netflix ever done weekly releases? I thought they just pooped em all out at once

They have moved to weekly / periodic released for a number of series over the past few years

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

whats the problem

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
One of her obvious strengths is characterization, especially via art with her capability of making distinct faces. I think that strength really lends itself well to strong emotional payoff like tragedy, but really anything with strong emotion fits. You can really "feel" what her characters are going through via the art.

She's so dang good!!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Arc Hammer posted:

I swear before this is over Laios is going to try and eat a person.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Man I re-read some of the upcoming chapters and the anime is gonna get so good. Namari and the undine, the tentaclus, the frog suits, backstory for the dungeon, then the dragon. Hell yea

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

To be honest, I thought both Thistle and Mithrun were female at first. :v:

Kui's hyper androgenous elves own

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Synthbuttrange posted:

I thought all elves were female :v

I was re-reading Dungeon Meshi the other day, as one does, and it came to mind that all of Kui's character work on the bonus materials owns so loving hard. Obviously the "character as each race" series is great, but she also did the "super lofi character designs emphasizing what makes each character pop" stuff which was great as well. Figuring out which elves were dudes through that work was fun.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

kidcoelacanth posted:

i'm an idiot, what is the foreshadowing here

The dragons eye was blinded and its throat pierced, and she awakens echoing the wounds of the dragon that is now intrinsically merged with her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I love the OP. The opening guitar strumming really sets a great fantasy mood.