Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

thetoughestbean posted:

I can’t believe Chilchuck is a deadbeat dad

I can totally believe it.

Though I'd like to think he's at least sending money when he can. Maybe that's part of why he's so money-focused compared to Laius and Marcille.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

I assume Chilchuck remains a very good boy

Master Chill Chuck is a man of contrasts.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

"her"

Pretty sure Leader's one of the boy elves in the delegation...or they could genuinely just be a particularly flat-chested girl elf, it's impossible to tell which until they confirm it themselves.

I love Meshi's elf design in all its genuinely well-depicted androgyny so much.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The little details are so cool. Like, all the Canaries have a divot cut out of their ears, which appears to be unique to their organization, and present even in Kabru's flashbacks to his village. The only two that don't have this are the larger-nosed 2nd in command (I think?), whose ears are untouched, and the Leader...who's the only elf we've seen so far to hide her ears under her hair rather than display them proudly, and who appears to have actually had the entire tips of her ears cut off. (Well, and the little sprite-girl, technically.)

It'll probably never be explained, but it makes me wonder what it all means.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

goblin week posted:

I also have a lazy eye so it makes me happy to see someone cool with it :shobon:

When it was first revealed in the previous chapter, it actually made them cooler for me than they'd been in their generic 'face hidden in darkness' state.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
As far as I can recall, we haven't seen a single confirmed male elf in the series thus far, I mean, other than Marcille's (presumed) father's existence. Not, like, represented visually on-panel. Most of this is simply due to their relative rarity on the island until the Canaries showed up, with the only other elf to appear being the noob adventurer girl from the early chapters.

I'm assuming, for the moment, that several of the Canaries are meant to be male, including the barechested one, and they're just highly androgynous by default, but it's only an assumption, of course.

It would certainly explain why Marcille's image of Laius, even after all the time they've spent together, was somewhat more extra-hulking (if not nearly as much as Chilchack's, of course) than the reality, if the notion of human sexual dimorphism is one she still isn't fully accustomed to.

edit: Also, now that we've actually gotten to see an elf that knows how to fight do so, it's really consistent with Kabru's fighting style, which has been rather different than anyone else's thus far, only focused on hitting people to telefrag them, rather than to stick a sharp bit of metal into them; same movements to achieve their goal.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 13, 2019

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

goblin week posted:

What about Elf Senshi

Ah, good point, that totally slipped my mind there.

Of course, except for the comedy facial hair, he would have easily been as androgynous as any of the (theoretically) male Canaries, so...hey.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I know, right? Another unconventional elf design, much like Marcille, arguably, but it works so well.

She always seems so put-upon by pretty much everything going on around her, on both the human/dungeon side of things and her own compatriots, too.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
To be fair, the Mad Sorcerer is On The Move because Farlyn and Friends stirred things up by killing/being revived with the red dragon, which definitely got the MS's attention in a way we don't know of anything else really doing in the past thousand years. Enough for the MS to show up in the Undervillage of the Immortals just after Our Heroes had left, clearly agitated and demanding to know what the village's leader was up to.

This all happened in the past day or two, at the same time as the two combined other parties teleported back to the surface and they saw the elf ship sailing into port, then immediately ran over to the town's mayor's mansion, found the elves there, and embarked on the last couple of chapters of activities.

If anything, it makes perfect sense that the MS would be doing something this audacious and active right now, given all this timing of things happening.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
It's interesting just how little dungeon meshi elves clearly understand any of the other races, even, to a lesser degree, dwarves. Can't read expressions, can barely recognize one face from another, have no idea how old any given member of the younger races are, and can barely grasp the most simplistic of drives, like raw greed, and even then, they basically assume it's as inherent as needing to eat, sleep, or breathe.

They're honestly more alien than the orcs, which is fantastic, and they're hands-down my favorite elves in fiction.

Also, as someone else noted, this pretty much explains that ear-divot thing we noticed a while back amongst the Canaries. Clearly, its the ex-(current)-criminal members that have them, explaining why the captain and what seems to be the second-in-command (who has clearly shown less signs of experience than some of the others) don't.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Turns out, Laius was actually overestimating Marcille's age in the last chapter, not underestimating it.

She's an edgy teenager, after all.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

noether posted:

idk how much crossover there is between here and the tabletop gaming crowd, but someone made a dungeon meshi homebrew game based on an osr-type system and it looks pretty rad

http://riseupcomus.blogspot.com/2020/02/glog-rat-kebab-edition.html

Dang, you should definitely post this in the FATAL and friends thread, if you haven't already. This kind of makes me want to play a swords and sorcery genre game for the first time in, like, a decade.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I have to say, I do find it amusing that literally every relevation in this chapter was called out in advance in this thread, from the clipped ears possibly indicating prisoner-origin vs loyalist origin Canaries to the Captain being something else entirely different for his half-cut ears, to the fact that the captain may well likely does in fact have a 'his' pronoun, and so forth.

Nicely done, thread.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
D'Litiezzeri (haha, oh wow, I knew it was wrong, but it was off the top of my head after at least a decade of having last seen it and I was basically going 'just get it close enough for Google to figure it out...it didn't), ahem, DiTerlizzi, was a D&D household name for as long as he was for a good reason.

I wish he had gotten more work in 3rd edition and beyond.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I figured it was at least two, one via throwing dagger, one in hand, er, foot, to mouth combat, which she was still holding onto up in the tree.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Alopex posted:

Same! It's that halfling baby face!

Mick is a particularly androgynous halfling lad, to be sure. Especially given Kuro's Ultra Manliness for contrast.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Down With People posted:

Otta's a scumbag but Fleki's just a petty crook and Lycion doesn't seem that bad even with the pit fighter thing.

Cithis though, real loving scary.

Lycion having a life sentence, given that it's almost certain any 'murder' was committed in pit fighting, while Otta doesn't have one despite her being a goddamn sapient trafficker, certainly emphasizes just how much weight the Elves put on ancient magic vs any other offense (his body has it infused into its being, while she just sold it).

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Yeah, this is what I was referring to, not the nebulous consent issues for long and short-lived races.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Chicken Thumbs posted:

I saw it as more of an emphasis on how little the elves (or at least the elven government) care about the well-being of other races.

That too!

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Can I just say that, especially in light of his character spotlight, this panel was amazing?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Lurking Haro posted:

The lion just totally ate something from Marcille when he kissed her.

Her fear, most likely.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Scallop Eyes posted:

I'm worried about Namari and everyone else that got taken to the demon dimension, but I'll trust in Laios

Don't cry for her. She finally got to meet the longest limbs of all.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Lt. Lizard posted:

IIRC one of the main reasons Otta is in Canaries is human trafficking, she is just impressively horrible.

Probably not even the main reason, she also dealt in Ancient Magic artifacts, if I recall.

She is the Elven Pyramid of Crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
They should give her wagahai pronouns.