Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I'm not sure where the cutoff for this season will be, exactly, but 2 chapters/episode seems feasible so i figure somewhere around chapter 48-50

Quite a bit of izutsumi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

The elf designs in dungeon meshi are probably some of the most successfully-androgynous ive seen in fiction and I've always found that pretty cool

particularly mithrun, whose gender was completely impossible to ascertain until he was finally given a pronoun

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Isekai has themes, they just aren't good themes

for example, a common theme in isekai is 'slavery is totally fine actually/a good way to get a girlfriend'

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

i think its cute that chilchuck has one daughter who is just exactly like him and is clearly as done with all the other two's nonsense as he is

e; oh this was mentioned but yeah i agree

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 11, 2024

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

the New Lore that laios basically grabbed shuro off the street and press-ganged him into the party is very good

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Not related to the main point of that page, but... the fact that ryoko kui clearly sat down and carefully thought out half-foot naming conventions (everyone has a compound first name made of 'two' names, your last name is the first half of your father's name plus an 's') is yet another example of her crazy-good worldbuilding

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

yeah, she's also actually a half-elf like marcille. the elves hired her to keep an eye out (on the island, not in the dungeon specifically) and she hid when they showed up because she didn't want that dude she was with to find out that she was originally sent there to be a spy

also, she shows up briefly in one of the wrap-up chapters:

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 10, 2024

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

kobolds are cool

the side comic where it's shown that kuro basically sees mickbell as a kid that he feels responsible for is very revealing re: why he goes along with mickbells obvious exploitation of him and possessiveness toward him as an 'employee'

i kind of wish it was in the main manga because it does a better job of explaining that kuro is not in any way dumb, and that although mickbell is still doing something pretty bad, kuro is not being tricked into it

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Hiveminded posted:

to be slightly fair to Otta I think the implication/subtext is that she's the one getting dumped when the halfling women get too emotionally mature for her bullshit.

e; Also on reflection I don't think it was ever explicitly outlined what kind of "human trafficking" she engaged in -- that term can range to include everything between trading in slaves to sneaking (non-elven, esp. f. half-foot) people through (elven) borders. (but of course I could just be failing to remember.) Knowing the elves of this setting and the apparent casualness of demi-human slavery, it feels like border violations would be the much likelier thing to qualify as a criminal offense in elven law.

yeah if you take otta at her word then she was entirely innocent of the most obvious implications we would draw from 'human trafficking'

shes definitely a dirtbag who dumps her (exclusively half-foot) girlfriends before they turn 30, though. For that part she was less 'elven society is super lovely to short lived races, actually' and more 'OKAY HEAR ME OUT'

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

yeah, izutsumi's voice sounds good

interesting but unavoidable that mithrun's gender is much more immediately apparent in anime form, just because of his voice

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

where do you all think the second cour of the anime is going to finish off? First cour ended at chapter 30. i figure they basically have to end it before they reach thistle's house and that arc starts up, so no later than chapter 60. Chapter 55 has a dramatic cliffhanger, whereas chapter 60 has laios's conversation with the winged lion, which would be cool to see if possible

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Pureauthor posted:

Canaries should definitely be given something to do in this season so yeah 55 seems natural.

yeah, given they're the most front and center group of characters other than the protagonists on the cour 2 promotional image thing i cannot imagine the extent of their actions this season are 'talk to kabru in a meeting' and 'enter the dungeon, cliffhanger for next season'

which is all they get if the anime doesn't get to the fight in 53-55

e; actually, there's a quick shot at 1:13 in the trailer of the eye on thistle's book opening, which i'm fairly sure is from the end of chapter 55. I can't think when else that happens

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 29, 2024

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

pattadol is doing her best

im looking forward to seeing her animated because combined with her fairy she's the only character that can match marcille in the hilarious expressions department

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Scallop Eyes posted:

I know Marcille and Pattadol would be great friends (they probably read the same books), and I need more stuff with them interacting.

yeah it seemed like pattadol almost immediately took a liking to her when they eventually interact at the end of the story. although i suspect this was also because marcille had resolved to Follow The Rules and she extremely does not make a 'horrible criminal' first impression

if pattadol learned to relax a bit she'd probably get along well with lycaion and fleki since they're not bad people, just weird and a bit sketchy. hopefully she can manage that eventually

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

logger posted:

From the anime thread

I wonder if the season will end on their plan to eat one.

I'm still betting on 55. It wouldn't be much of a stretch (about the same speed as cour 1) and I cannot imagine the elves would be as prominent in the promotional material if all they do in the season is talk to kabru and then walk into the dungeon

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

yeah, i am really hoping that they get to the floor 1 part but so far the necessary compression hasn't happened. at 2/episode its ending at 52

it still seems like it would be super weird to give the canaries that much billing and then give them nothing to do though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

i will be very disappointed if we don't get the end of floor 1 as an EOS cliffhanger. honestly, i'm surprised about how much i care about this

they may just end on 52 though. so i'll just have to deal