Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
I’m hella excited for the Red Dragon arc in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Asterite34 posted:

I mean, they know it's two cours and it's on episode 10, I don't think it's gonna take them by surprise THAT much

Maybe, but the sheer degree to which poo poo will get real in this show that is “just a chill monster cooking show” will absolutely catch some anime only commenters by surprise.

The first escalation out of MANY.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
I hope they move things around just a bit and show the next Kabru bit right after chapter 30.

“Oh it’s those Team Rocket guys who are getting wiped out every time, they are a running ga- HOLY gently caress DID HE JUST ICE THOSE DUDES AND DUMP THEIR BODIES INTO THE LAKE?!”

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Synthbuttrange posted:

I really appreciate that in any other setting they'd be called Men or Humans but no here they're just the tall weirdos.

Shame some subs call them humans anyway

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'm doing a first read of the manga after becoming enthralled by the anime, so I'll just post my thoughts without looking at the thread directly in case of unmarked spoilers.

Anyways, I thought there were some great moments already, but chapter 49 almost had me bursting into tears at a company pitch meeting today. Senshi... :sympathy:

Most people think the anime season will finish around here. Would be hell of a note to end it on.

Sander fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 14, 2024

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Terrifying Effigies posted:

At the current pace I think they'll get as far as Chapter 55 which would leave a good cliff hanger for a third season.

They can also move On Floor One a bit, since it cuts to events elsewhere and show it right before Griffin Soup. Ending on an emotional note, bookended with the the gang walks off into the darkness (a perfect “adventure continues” visual), while setting up a massive steak raise of cliffhanger in the previous episode.

Anyway, very hyped for some dragon time later today. I have found out that they are seemingly including chapter 26 as well, so I hope the pqcing holds up and they don’t cut anything.

Sander fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 14, 2024

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
As expected, I’m already seeing lots of very surprised reactions to how dark it is getting ,on Reddit and elsewhere

The reactions to the next couple of episodes are gonna be fun… the one after that too, if it’s Sea Serpent.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
Sea Serpent (presumably ep 14) is another thing I am looking forward to.

So many anime onlies think Kabru and his party are just a running gag. It will be hilarious when he straight up murders some motherfuckers and dumps them in a lake.. Kabru is like a microcosm of this story’s escalation.

At first you think he is there to provide a contrast to the main group, then you think they are running gag, then he is suddenly positioned as a genuinely threatening possible antagonist, but then you find out that he is a very reasonable and rational man with good reasons for why he is like that… and then he is some some dude’s babysitter secondary POV character for the overarching threat and political angle of the dungeon.

They might even make a more blatant hint towards his backstory and maybe include a brief shot of him as a kid for that panel that shows monsters eating a villagers corpse (maybe his mom, even).

Sander fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 16, 2024

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
For the panel where Laios is offering him some monster food and he is having some genuine PTSD flashbacks in the background, I hope they deadass include a whole short graphic AoT-esque flashback of Utaya, only as a lead in to him eating some monster.

It would be peak dark comedy.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Izutsumi is the most actually cat-like catgirl I've ever encountered in anime or manga.

Most catgirls are just random anime girls with cat ears and some exaggerated pseudo-catlike mannerisms meant to be “moe”, like saying “nyan” a lot.

Izutsumi is straight up like a humanoid cat with human intelligence.

Sander fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 20, 2024

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
Prediction for the next ep:

It will mostly adapt chapters 27 (Necromarcille) and 28 (Falin downtime), but instead of ending on the cliffhanger of Thistle showing up, they will include about four pages of the next chapter, wherein Falin gets compelled to walk over to Thistle as the latter implies very strongly that she’s Red Dragon, who was under his command.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
The lead up to the resurrection was definitely not as good as in the manga, but the resurrection sequence itself was awesome as gently caress and I might actually prefer it to the manga.

Sander fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 21, 2024

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
I want Keith David to voice Winged Lion in the dub.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Pureauthor posted:

Canaries should definitely be given something to do in this season so yeah 55 seems natural.

Yeah no way they feature Canaries this prominently and not show us Mithrun in action.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Snooze Cruise posted:

These are the reactions I been waiting to see.
It will be fun to watch the impressions of him change as the show goes on.

He gets introduced as a running gag jobber, then we are led to see him as a scheming antagonist and maybe a self-righteous sociopath, then we find out that he's quite justified and is an actually rational and fair judge of character who lives up to his talk, then he is pretty much the secondary protagonist for the political side of the story.

As I said, he is like a microcosm of how this story and cast keep evolving from simple beginnings and gaining more and more layers.

Sander fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 5, 2024

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
Wait, Kabru is likely banging Holm’s sister?

LMAO

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

And Dia's fiance.

Wow, is that another side-comic? Someone please share, I’m not aware of that.

Dungeon Meshi is a gift that keeps giving.

Edit: I found it. They have to find a way to animate at least some of this extra poo poo. Kui went above and beyond.

Sander fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 5, 2024

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
Kabru’s rizz is supernatural. Canaries should investigate him for Ancient Magic.

Speaking of which, I also just found the one where they show Rin’s childhood and how she met Kabru… good lord elves are hosed up.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

DrSunshine posted:

Mr. Tansu is cheating because, Namari aside, they're all his family members and they're a loving and happy family!

Namari might as well count, because she might really become his daughter in law at some point.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Pureauthor posted:

We just got this episode and I cannot loving wait for next week's one.

Anime-onlies got their first glimpse of Falingon. Next episode they will witness in her full monstrous glory as she redecorates some dungeon floors contents of peoples heads.

Between the big boss battle and its fallout, the next ep is gonna be a banger. The shots from the trailer that were assuredly from the next episode all looked very well animated. it is gonna be a showcase to surpass the Red Dragon battle.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

MiracleFlare posted:

I'm excited because the fighting is going to be sick and it's going to give a better glimpse of what the secondary cast is motivated by, but also worried because most discussion places are gonna turn into the Shuropocalypse. At least maybe it'll get some heat off all this Kabru slander, dude's not mad about heresy he's acting like he just heard the cattiest gossip :colbert:

To be fair, telling a lovable autistic boy who thought you were his friend that you never cared for him and only tolerated him to hopefully bang his sister one day, and that it is his own fault for not catching on, is some rather not endearing behavior.

It only gets more frustrating as the story goes on and you realize how much Laios has suffered. and been burned with human connections. Like, Laios hearing Kabru's earnest confession and immediately assuming it is a lie is just so sad.

You know Shuro was wrong for this, when even his fawning nanny, who would normally slaughter Laios' entire group for him without a second thought, just shook her head at his behavior and let him get beat up.

Sander fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 19, 2024

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
I expect some people to dislike Izutsumi in the beginning, when she's confrontational and stand-offish.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
OK so I want them to go absolutely ham with this middle panel

I want a very brief, full on Attack on Titan sequence of a flashback with carnage and screaming and Kabru calling for his dead mother... all for a punchline for him having to eat monster omelette.

kidcoelacanth posted:

as opposed to the ending, when she's confrontational and stand-offish

Izutsumi in the beginning is someone who can decapitate you because she doesn't like you. Izutsumi in the end someone who will decapitate you because you asked her nicely.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

amigolupus posted:

Thinking about it, I'd rather have the discourse play out rather than having some folks post supplemental material stuff about Izutsumi. I get it's information not in the show, but supplemental comics tend to immediately showcase that this person is actually a friendly person. There was a lot of initial distrust around Kabru at first, but it got defanged when people posted those comics about his party members and how he was super charming.

I mean, him chumming it up with his party members doesn’t mean he isn’t on some sinister poo poo. Have you seen how most of the psychos in Golden Kamuy chum it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
Dungeon Meshi, Witch Hat Atelier and Frieren: Beyond Journey’s End are my trifecta of recent fantasy manga.

Looking at the other series mentioned, I gotta give Bard Loen and Library a good go. They sound neat.