Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Fun little bit of izutsumi nail trimming fan art...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I kept tripping over various spoilery things while surfing fanart and such, so after episode 12 I just broke down and read the rest of the manga (until then I had been catching up with the anime after every episode or two). Wow. Dungeon Meshi just maintains the quality all the way through. So much fun. Very satisfying ending. And while the stakes go up and things get dark(er) at times, it keeps delivering laugh out loud funny moments consistently too. Looking forward to seeing the rest of this animated (I sure hope they get a second season and are able to do the entire story).

Ryoko Kui's world building and character design is top tier all the way through... and so many little details along the way that get revisited and/or turn into major pay-offs later in the story.

The earlier parts of the story (pre-red-dragon-encounter) really do a fantastic job of setting everything up, planting so many seeds (like the encounters with Thistle in the living paintings, etc), and ratcheting up the stakes from something that feels like a light dungeon diving comedy initially into the much harder hitting main story (while never giving up on the humor).

Dunmeshi elves absolutely raise the bar. Also, contact fairies are adorable and hilarious.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Ahaha. Laios's blindfold. The party's dedication to protecting Izutsumi from his monster-obsession...

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

That is such a spectacular little detail... which I absolutely did not notice when reading the manga...

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I like the animation in the second OP, but think the music from the first is a bit catchier.

Some good stills in the new ED... love this one of the Canaries...

and this one of Kabru's party dealing with the living armor...

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

This episode made me realize that I was unobservant while reading the manga and completely failed to catch what it was that got Kuro all snarl-y when Team Shuro arrived.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

duz posted:

Neither did I until I read that daydream hour strip that made it explicit.

The manga panels, for reference... it's the very last two of the last page of that chapter...

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I really hope they do some quality over-the-top Trigger animation with the Contact Fairies...

and that they do justice to this bit where Pattadol squishes the poor fairy into a staff...

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

The hand grab in the snow was really obvious in animation form huh? :3

Yeah, I feel like it'd be hard to miss (the way I missed it in the manga). I don't think anyone has remarked on it over in the anime thread (yet).

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

It's certainly much more subtle as a single panel in the middle of the page in the manga...

And, as logger pointed out, if you were reading it as published, the reveal doesn't happen until the next issue a month later.

I read it after the manga had wrapped up and still managed to miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

In general I find Japanese curry a bit bland for my tastes, similar to how the typical Japanese take on mapo tofu is not nearly hot enough, but katsu curry is a quality comfort food. So good.