Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dungeon meshi is my second favorite manga ever, it is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hace posted:

I love this comic so much. Maybe my favorite running thing right now in general.
yeah. if One Piece wasn't, well, the unstoppable juggernaut it is, dungeon meshi would be my #1 no question.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Have bones do it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's hard to think of a more consistent fantasy world than dungeon meshi's. Like, there's not been any sort of contradiction in itself and the world just runs on all these clearly laid out rules like resurrection and dungeon types and stuff, it's great. There's rarely been a BAKANA moment followed by bullshitting up a solution out of nowhere, like this recent chapter is a perfect example of that where they were initially surprised as you do when a party member is abducted by a loving gryphon, but then they plan it out based on how gryphons work and devise a plan of attack based on that. It's all utterly rock solid.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Artificer posted:

Wait hang on which manga is your favorite?
More specifically, one piece has had only maybe 3 or 4 stumbles in its 20 year history. The Birdcage being the most awful. Meanwhile the world, setting, adventurous nature, and inventive designs of many of the over 900 named characters(even ones only shown in a single panel) are nearly unparalleled. Some of the designs such as Scratchman Apoo are among my favorite character conceptual designs ever. The characters are also very consistent, in particular Luffy, who is absurdly well written and rarely if ever has broken character in the entire run.

I could go on for quite a while about it but suffice to say, it's pretty hard to beat. I've been reading it weekly for well over a decade and it's basically never disappointed. Even the lesser arcs like Fishman Island still have insanely good parts to them like the fisher tiger flashback, or the overall message of it (which the anime totally, completely ruined with some filler that rewrote the message lol)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Not today, satan

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's a shame you gave up before Arlong Park, the arc literally right after you stopped. It's generally regarded as the point where One Piece goes from merely good to great and "clicks" with most people to stick with it, and the art tends to become less of an issue as you continue on and the artstyle evolves. Arlong is a fantastic bastard and the story really sets a tone for the series as a whole. But if you don't want to, that's fine too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Calaveron posted:

If only there were a thread to discuss one piece
If you want to keep the derail going, I won't stop you!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would rather an anime when the manga is finished, if it's indeed going to finish once they're done with this whole dungeon business. That'd allow for the best possible pacing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there is none, proceed with caution

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Brought To You By posted:

New dungeon meshi chapter got flash cooked to your table
https://mangadex.org/chapter/484015/1
lmao those wonderful idiots

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Actually it was pretty gamey

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Everyone is adorable

Except chilchak, he just looks run down

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

chilchak is a middle aged deadbeat dad. the outside now matches the inside.

Oh poo poo I forgot the deadbeat dad part. He totally looks the part now, yeah.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DrSunshine posted:

Also :negative: I saw all the replies and thought a new chapter was here.
WELL GUESS WHAT

edit:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 15, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh my god the THANK GOODNESS panel

you'll know the one

this entire chapter just needs yakety sax laid over it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
neeeeeewwwwww chapter!

edit: holy poo poo lol this page and especially that lower right panel

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 15, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean, he literally says he's not as emotionally strong as her and doesn't know how she can handle the constant harassment, doesn't surprise me he fled

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The chubby ones, obviously

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah they explicitly are swapping out precisely the same wallspace as the person takes up, so it may be a bit hard to breathe, but they should be fine like the guy in the ceiling.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What series started the whole "dungeons are a living organism" thing? A fair few isekai have started using that style for dungeons as of late, too. Stuff like having a core at the center of a dungeon that grows as more adventurers die in it, producing stronger monsters, etc

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
For those who enjoy Dungeon Meshi, I highly, highly recommend you also check out Heterogenous Linguistics. It is absurdly good with only 14 chapters so far(new one just dropped), like if it keeps this pace up I would put it on par with Dungeon Meshi, absolutely.

quoting my post about it

quote:

A linguist travels among the world of monsters, learning how each species communicates, how their societies and beliefs work, languages, behaviors etc and documents it. He is accompanied by various monsters going the same direction as him, as well as his mentor's daughter, a werewolf-human hybrid and the best character in the series by far. The way it deals with various typical JRPG/fantasy monsters like slimes and werewolves and lizardmen is staggeringly good, I seriously can't say enough good things about it. Like, slimes? they have no sense of self. each slime can split into multiple pieces and have varied intelligence based on the size of the slime, and carry memories along with that fragment. they communicate via touch, and if they communicate with another slime, they merge and become one being, as if they had always been those two slimes as one creature with all the memories. It's such a loving good concept for a slime creature and it makes me giddy just recalling it. The series is hilarious, it's really nice looking, it's really frank in its depiction of things and doesn't worry whether you can understand what's going on or not, you're just carried along for the ride. Seriously, seriously good series, like rivals Dungeon Meshi for my second favorite series spot especially if it continues on with this level of quality. One of the latest chapters has the linguist encountering another linguist, a minotaur, and they both try to suss out each other's language without being able to directly communicate. Just stellar. I am really sad it's not licensed yet, as I immediately went to try and order the first volume off amazon only to find nobody's picked it up yet.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm okay with running this joke into the ground. This chapter positively flew by, though.

Can Of Worms posted:

Edit:

Never make that face again, Chilchack.

Stolen from mangadex:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
mushrooms are bad.

she's clearly addled.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nah the ACTUAL funniest part was the scooby doo hijinks trying to trap the bicorn the absurdly detailed assumption breakdown of chilchak's married life by marcille all of it

all of it the whole danged chapter

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new chapter!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 11, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

This should be illegal.
You can't tease us like that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
one: there's a new chapter

two: this volume cover is the loving BEST

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah when I saw the weird things in the water, I was like OH MY GOD THEY'RE MOSQUITOES because that's exactly what their larvae look like

brilliant

BRILLIANT

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

literally :byodood:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Guess that just means you have to reread the whole thing, what a shame.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that two page spread is legendary.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

amigolupus posted:

Here's my guesses on how things could go down:

- There's actually two demons, the winged lion and whatever's possessing the book Thistle has. Winged lion turns out to be a benevolent demon, and the book demon trapped it since it's the only thing capable of stopping it. Laius frees the winged lion, stops Thistle and there's no betrayals whatsoever.

- The winged lion is actually manipulating Laius, and is out to eat people's desires like what happened to Misurn. However, Laius and company will convince it to give up on that plan and reform by cooking good food for it.

Option 3: a delicious winged lion stew

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
guess we'll find out!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
:haw:

I love that the walking mushrooms izutsumi was antagonizing at the start of the chapter wound up in the meal

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 15, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a motherfucking monty python and the holy grail gag and I am not disappointed in any way, of course she would pull it off easily

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh poo poo, surprise, it's kui's dungeon meshi sketchbook

https://mangadex.org/chapter/897969

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love the various smug, distraught, or happy expressions in this one

shuro is just absolutely done