Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I read on average like 0.333 manga series a year and dungeon meshi is by far my favourite. The art, backgrounds, expressions etc are all great, there's no stupid braindead fanservice and there's an actual story and it progresses. It's like some kind of freak of nature.

thanks for reading my thoughts here's a meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

It took me about 5 minutes to read that one page. Holy crap, literally everything on it is great.

Izu-
tsumi

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Brought To You By posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I cannot see half-foot chilchack as anything other than an adult, but the rest are just kids to me. Most of them have big, shining, moe eyes.
I think it matches how his non-elf versions all look worn out and dead inside, he's like a really haggard equivalent of a halfling in that he looks like a teen to humans instead of 7 years old

edit:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ha ha, marceline is the least pretty of them as an elf
i can't remember, is marcille supposed to be half-elf or something? all the other (male and female) elves in the story are like 250% on the feminine and pointy sliders

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 14, 2019

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
human marcy looks like a cute dork though so it clearly carries over

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Finger lichin' good

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
The Mad Sauceror

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
necro-nomnomnom-icon

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
It'd be perfect for an old-style OVA, just covering a few of the best chapters with really nice art and attention to detail, not expecting viewers to want much intro to the story/characters or a firm story ending. But a full-rear end anime would need to be 2+ cours to really go somewhere with the story and characters and that'd just be monkey paw curls all year long unless some absurdly rich fan just dumptrucks money onto a studio. The dragon+farlyn chapters might make a good feature-length thing too, just for the animation spectacle, and to do Big Lore Wheelies for people new to the manga, but it'd be a pretty downer ending to finish somewhere around Farlyn going away again

Modern Casual Dork Edition Laius has tremendous power btw. I love those modern dress sketches in general, it's great to see kui just having fun and exploring ideas. It's also rare and refreshing in manga art to see Extremely Japanese-looking characters like most of the onis and Sureaus' crew, not just a different face and eye shape, though that might be just as much me reading junk

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 20, 2020

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Lt. Lizard posted:

...Not really? Everything from the beginning up to revival of Farlyn, with fight with the red dragon and their reunion with Farlyn as a finale is pretty much ideal for anime adaption. At roughly 28 chapters, it's just enough material for a single cour at a pace of roughly 2-3 chapters per episode which is a pretty good pace for a monthly manga adaptations. (Vinland Saga adaptation, for example, had roughly the same pace). That would give you a great, self-contained season, that would do a pretty good job demonstrating what Dungeon Meshi is about, while having a pretty ok ending. I agree that everything after that is a bit harder to adapt, because there is no clear moment to end the future seasons on, but IMHO the theoretical season 1 of Dungeon Meshi anime is pretty much locked on.
Honestly i haven't looked back over old chapters for a good while, so maybe i thought there's more in there than there actually was. I'm not saying you couldn't make a tidy season 1 from the story so far, but i mainly had in mind how world details and little relaxed moments, which dungeon meshi is full of, often get swept aside or altered to make an anime adaptation fit to ~12 episodes, and man wouldn't it be nice if someone made a loving adaptation that appreciated all of that :shrug:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

don't worry, she couldn't either
gently caress

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 20, 2020

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Gonna get super into the tiny dungeon aesthetic

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I didn't even notice until someone pointed it out that Laius is spamming healing on himself all the time.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Poor Namari needs to learn the phrase 'asking for a friend'

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
To be fair he's a helmet and beard with googly eyes for 75% of the manga so it's easy to forget, but the table of party members as different races is proof if you ever need it that senshi is a chiseled handsome man and marcille laius everyone is a cute dork

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
oh hey, look at that

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
yes

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Mithrun just removing Flamela from the area instead of wasting time convincing her was hilarious and satisfying

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
It'd probably be more funny than Good(TM) but i would die laughing if everything turned out okay because laius' monster design turned out to be really really effective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Don't worry, there'll be enough elephant's foot soup for everyone