Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

i finished the manga recently and am using the anime as a rewatch and the most recent episode with laios saying "monsters are dangerous, especially ones that are charming"

oh really?

oh really???

anyway, story's good. i love how it's got this theme of selfishness (prioritizing yourself above everything else to the point of isolation and harm) vs self preservation and how that butts against the fact that nobody lives in isolation.

senshi chiding the group for disrupting the food chain while also conceptualizing himself as existing outside of it and being its caretaker. so neatly done with the kelpie that he's convinced himself he's tamed.

i mean part of that is he's projected his memories of his old horse onto the kelpie but anyway

when i first read it i thought senshi of all people should have known not to treat monsters like that, but it really was a perfect blend of circumstances and there's plenty of examples in real life where people make this kind of judgment error.

it wasn't malicious, but his myopic viewpoint and emotional attachment kept him from being able to really accept what he was actually doing. it put him in danger, it put laios in danger when he jumped in to help him.

it's such a tidy small scale example of the themes that lead to thistle (i'm unsure his name is meant to be spelled in english, but i think that's right?) keeping his country captive.

ahhhh dungeon meshi is so wonderful, i love spinning this story around in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I've been using the anime as a rewatch so I didn't remember this brief scene with Laios and Falin in the grass field before this resurrection and how it's paralleled at the end with Falin and the winged lion before her second resurrection. It's such a nice little detail of Falin trying to continue sacrificing herself for others at this point. I love how her character exists in this absence and how there's so much to her even though she's not really herself for most of it.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

i've been saying izutsumi's name wrong in my head this whole time :negative:

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Senshi's the kind of guy who gets really rooted in his ways and won't challenge his own thinking or reasoning, even if he's willing to reevaluate something after the fact if he gets a big enough shock to his beliefs. Like harvesting the mandrakes, he had his way, it had always worked for him, therefore it was the only way to do it.

It puts him in danger with the kelpie because he'd always had positive interactions with it and he valued his own experiences over the outside knowledge of someone else (and also the mingling of his emotions with his former party's dead horse :( ).

His goals tended to align with the party so there wasn't much opportunity for friction, but Senshi is a pretty stubborn guy and his stubbornness has been reinforced by it keeping him alive for so long on his own.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Chilchuck gets all the secret tasks because the editors know he'd have the funniest reactions to learning he was the only one who had to figure out how many beans are in a tin of baked beans.