Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Blast Fantasto posted:

It was probably edits for pacing rather than any sort of production interference. The movie was pretty well paced in its current state, if it was 20 minutes longer it could have felt overstuffed.

I dunno, honestly it really depends on what was cut. I agree with your assessment overall but I sort of feel like it could have used more connective tissue, on the whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

We saw it tonight, and felt the movie really lost steam when the doctor turned on Hawkins and killed him.

And no matter what anyone else says, 'dance class kid' and Julian were the best characters.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I dunno, honestly it really depends on what was cut. I agree with your assessment overall but I sort of feel like it could have used more connective tissue, on the whole.

i cannot think of the last time I thought "oh yes this movie needs to be a half hour longer", even if there was a bunch of stuff cut out.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I liked this movie

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DC Murderverse posted:

i cannot think of the last time I thought "oh yes this movie needs to be a half hour longer", even if there was a bunch of stuff cut out.

It's less a runtime issue, and more that as-is, I could kind of feel the fact that pieces were missing. Maybe swapping in some of the deleted stuff for some of the less "important" stuff that was kept would have made a more cohesive movie without bloating the runtime, but I really liked a lot of that stuff.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

DC Murderverse posted:

No good movie is too long and no bad movie is short enough.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I am torn about this film. I certainly enjoyed it, and the film did a lot of interesting things, I also didn't love it as much as I had hoped. A lot of posters have already echoed my sentiments about the film, but I felt like the film could have been slightly pared down. For example, there were a ton of characters that we meet for only a brief few moments, before they're killed by Michael. Sure, this is a slasher where the body count matters, but I think by doing this, the 3 generations of women felt like it didn't get enough attention.

Some of the callbacks to the original were great, though.

Shneak posted:

Anyone else think for a split second that we were going to get a Gone Girl-rear end plot reversal where Michael actually died after getting run over by Hawkins and the Doctor would take over in the climax?

I, too, briefly thought this was going to happen.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Halloween is about to score the second biggest opening weekend for a horror film ever. And managed to land a B+ Cinemascore which is a real feat for a horror flick. So be expecting some quick sequel announcements I’d guess.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

R. Dieovich posted:

No good movie is too long and no bad movie is short enough.

One of the few aphorisms that's definitely true.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

X-O posted:

Halloween is about to score the second biggest opening weekend for a horror film ever. And managed to land a B+ Cinemascore which is a real feat for a horror flick. So be expecting some quick sequel announcements I’d guess.

What's the record holder for biggest opening weekend?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LadyPictureShow posted:

What's the record holder for biggest opening weekend?

IT made like $120 million on opening, I believe.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Does anyone know what movie they’re watching in this where the cop opens the trunk of a car a red light flashes and he disappears?

I know I’ve seen it!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

sponges posted:

Does anyone know what movie they’re watching in this where the cop opens the trunk of a car a red light flashes and he disappears?

I know I’ve seen it!

Repo Man

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
H40, eh? I prefer H40ween myself :colbert:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Ha, I loving called it

Wonder why they didn't just release it at a 2 hour length? Blumhouse isn't a stranger to weirdly long horror movies, Conjuring 2 was nearly 2.5.

Did the movie feel like it was going by just a little too fast? Not necessarily too short, just that the whole 'rhythm' of a movie being a bit off, like scenes don't really 'breathe'. That's always been my sixth-sense way of telling if a movie's had really extensive work done in the editing room and it hasn't failed me yet (Men in Black II, Scream 4, Independence Day Resurgence, Poltergeist 2015 being some examples).

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I hope this movie gets an extended cut edition on blu-ray because I think the 30 or so minutes they had to cut would have helped with some of the awkward pacing here and there.

Decent movie other than that. Michael was vicious.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think if this movie had been any longer it would have been much less effective and just not as good no matter what they took out. Include the deleted stuff as extras but I don’t want any unrated extended cuts of the film.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I don’t deserve to live for not knowing that.

Time to die.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Movie owned

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

lizardman posted:

Did the movie feel like it was going by just a little too fast? Not necessarily too short, just that the whole 'rhythm' of a movie being a bit off, like scenes don't really 'breathe'. That's always been my sixth-sense way of telling if a movie's had really extensive work done in the editing room and it hasn't failed me yet (Men in Black II, Scream 4, Independence Day Resurgence, Poltergeist 2015 being some examples).

Yup, that's where my hunch came from, too.

Again, I don't really want an ~Extended Integral Cut~ so much as I'd like to have all the materials they shot available and see what I can come up with in Premiere. Like, I don't really feel like it's necessarily a case of the movie being too short, I think it's a potential case of "they left the wrong stuff on the floor."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want an extended cut.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I think the movie is fine the way it is. Nice and lean.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

just add in the scene of the dude in the ridiculous looking cowboy hat getting killed that we all know was filmed. where the gently caress he get off wearin a gotdang cowboy hat in illinois.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

just add in the scene of the dude in the ridiculous looking cowboy hat getting killed that we all know was filmed. where the gently caress he get off wearin a gotdang cowboy hat in illinois.
anything south of naperville is basically arkansas.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The movie's pacing is great and no matter what the cut footage is it will make the movie less dangerous feeling and make Michael feel like less of a threat.

That said, of course I'd love to see the cut scenes, but I hope they don't like erase the theatrical release from existence on home video.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I was certain for a minute there that Hawkins ran over some kid in a bad taste costume, so the doctor's heel turn worked on me. Though there was some brief foreshadowing when he's telling Hawkins that he's still trying to get inside Michael's head. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the one who caused the crash.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

This was a good movie, let alone a good slasher flick.

I was also thrown for a loop by the twist with the doctor. Solid 4/5.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Hmm, not to get too :tinfoil: but I wonder if this means that David Gordon Green is going to remake that movie now. I mean, The Thing From Another World is playing in the original Halloween and then John Carpenter remade that sooo...

Anyway, movie loving ruled, might be my favorite one out of the few I've seen. Only seen the original, Season of the Witch, and the Zombie remakes so I guess that's not saying much, but to edge out the Carpenter original is a pretty big feat. Didn't like a couple of the odd coincidences but I guess you have to expect that from a slasher movie. I'm talking about the part where Michael just happens to drive right by the gas station that the two journalists happen to be at at that specific moment and also later when Michael just happens to be out on the edge of town right as the car with the Dr., Allyson and the cop drive by. I understand you gotta keep poo poo moving, and it didn't take me out of the movie, that stuff just kind of bugs me sometimes. At least maybe come up with a reason why important characters cross paths or how they wound up there.

e: Wait, I forgot to mention my favorite part of last night's watch. In that final shot of Michael staring up at Laurie with this kind of stoic stare that looked pitiful because of the William Shatner eyes, somebody in the audience said something like "Awww, that's sad".

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 21, 2018

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
It was really good the pacing was really good too. Jeot everything moving at a quick pace. Honestly it could have lost like 10 and been better. Ending could have been better otherwise no complaints. I didn't mind the doctor twist but liked that I basically made it so Michael was more.if a force of evil or nature with the doctor setting up Thia confrontation

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

King Vidiot posted:

Hmm, not to get too :tinfoil: but I wonder if this means that David Gordon Green is going to remake that movie now. I mean, The Thing From Another World is playing in the original Halloween and then John Carpenter remade that sooo...

Better that than Voyagers. It's funny seeing Jon Erik "I Shot Myself Being Stupid" Hexum getting a credit, although not as funny as them reusing the scene of Judith Myers in the nearly nude like she didn't stop being 15 since 1978.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I never expected to see Judy Greer get a legitimate bad-rear end “gently caress yeah” moment in a movie, but 2018 has been a year of rampant unpredictability.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm just glad they returned to Michael being a unexplainable killer and force of evil.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Jedit posted:

Better that than Voyagers. It's funny seeing Jon Erik "I Shot Myself Being Stupid" Hexum getting a credit, although not as funny as them reusing the scene of Judith Myers in the nearly nude like she didn't stop being 15 since 1978.

Well if high schools can still get away with showing Olivia Hussey in Romeo and Juliet in English class, I guess they can let that slide too.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hollismason posted:

I'm just glad they returned to Michael being a unexplainable killer and force of evil.

I also appreciate they returned him to being a huge drama queen who won’t turn down a chance to set up a nice death tableau.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
After giving it a few listens, this is one of Carpenter's best scores. I don't know if it's the presence of his nephew/other guy or that he didn't have to worry about actually making a movie, but the score just rips.

It obviously relies on the original theme a lot, but that's not a bad thing. The bits of electric guitar incorporated into the new theme are awesome.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Yeah, the guitar on the “oh poo poo” moments is great

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The score for the movie is loving great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmHxSHWhwDM

I think 19:36 is my favorite track on the album.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just saw this. It was good for a slasher, but it's faint praise. I'm a crotchety bastard, so prepare for an avalanche of big complaints and nitpicks.

A lot of stuff in this movie seemed to happen for no reason other than to get our characters to where they need to be. The lovely plot twist was introduced and discarded in 5 minutes for the sole reason to get Michael to Laurie's house for the big showdown. They couldn't think of a better solution? The podcast couple were coincidentally located and killed by Michael for no reason other than for him to get his mask and so we could have the slomo scene of him putting it on. It just so happens that Michael comes across Laurie's granddaughter in the street, so she too could get roped into the twist and end up at her grandma's funhouse. And so on.

The score had it's moments, but I would've preferred a more retro synth like the Prophet-10 sound from H3, rather than just a more modern update on the original score. There were a/v nods to the original that felt off too, as if they wanted to reference it rather than have the movie work on its own suspense. We hear that classic stinger when Michael's reflection shows up in the window of the house, but we've been following him for 5 minutes already, so it doesn't do anything for the scene and functions only as a callback. And Laurie's illuminated face in the dark, another nod, has this really goofy zoom and that awful one liner to kill the moment.

It felt like Laurie becoming a quasi Sarah Connor was a bit much, but I'd be on board with it if the movie actually followed through on it. As it is, when Michael shows up, she doesn't really do much more with her guns and security system than anyone else would have. It builds her up to be a well-prepared badass, but it doesn't really pay off. Sure, she got a house full of boobytraps straight out of Wes Craven, but it's a just a gimmick so we can get Michael's overly elaborate death and that scene of her searching through the house with the doors slamming down, which is still pitch black inside for some reason while the outside is covered in floodlights. Did he cut the power? How about putting one of those emergency floodlights in every room? You know, in case it's dark and you can't see poo poo and Michael might be hiding in that one room you use to store your creepy mannequins. Speaking of, what was with that scene where Laurie's granddaughter runs to her target practice range and it starts cutting and zooming to all the mannequins while she's freaking out? Was it supposed to be spooky editing? It felt so oddly done and out of place that I laughed pretty hard. Oh and the ending sucked too. It wasn't as half as cathartic as when she chopped off his head in H20.

Overall, I think the movie should have just stayed with Laurie for half of the time, and Michael stalking the neighborhood for the other half. Forget giving her kids and familial problems, forget all that poo poo. Focus on just her character, maybe give her a therapist and one friend who's a retired cop or something, that's it. As it is, it's spread far too thin between her, her daughter (an awful performance by Judy Greer), her granddaughter and her beau/no, Michael, the doctor, the cops, the podcasters, and the parade of Michael's random victims, so it never feels like we get to know anybody, which is always the biggest weakness of the worst slashers, nor get a sense of what the movie is supposed to be building towards. Cut out the fat, add some more meat, and this thing gets a lot better.

Just so this ain't all complaining, I did like a few things. They hit the feel of Halloween night pretty well. I really liked the middle period in the movie when Michael is just stalking from house to house and killing randos, much like in the opening to Halloween II. Because that's what he's supposed to do. He doesn't really care about Laurie Strode or some bullshit cop from 40 years ago. You're nearby and alone? He's going to kill you.

I liked the kid of course, and that whole babysitting sequence was the closest the movie got to feeling like classic Halloween in the good way. We had some real characters and a nice sandbox for a few minutes. The ghost sheet was a callback I liked and was the one scene that genuinely gave me the creeps. Laurie going through the house looking for Michael with the gun/flashlight was great too, in large part because there was no music. I also liked that people were so intrigued by Michael because he never speaks, and they're all desperate to hear him say something. I don't think it was used particularly well, but I liked the idea.

So yeah, there's some cool stuff in there, but meh. Slasher's gonna slash.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

X-O posted:

I think 19:36 is my favorite track on the album.

Yeah, that was what was playing when Allyson was running away from Michael after Freddy Friendzone got fenced. Definitely the stand-out track.

VV Cool, I couldn't have gleaned that from a long YouTube video embedded in the forums so...

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 22, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, that was what was playing when Allyson was running away from Michael after Freddy Friendzone got fenced. Definitely the stand-out track.

Well, it would be - it's called Wrought Iron Fence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Halloween H4O: The Fencing of Freddie Friendzone