Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Sure, those things happened in the movie - she fixes his hand, he fixes her car - but it was just played as casual. Then suddenly they are deeply in love. It came out of nowhere. It should make sense to the audience and it didn't. My wife didn't buy it all either and she eats this stuff up. Along with her ex-bf being some middle aged cop? Like, just poor choices everywhere with this c-plot of a love triangle.

I don't have film analysis training/knowledge but I could tell in the way they were framing the clinic scene with the two of them smiling at each other that they were supposed to be into each other. I was simulwatching with like four other people and they all saw it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The hand injury and Laurie's bushing was definitely a meet-cute! And that was fine, but then they're Harley and the Joker and goddamnit what is this poo poo I just wanted to see a Halloween movie.

E: if they'd followed up and used the relationship as a Mickey and Mallory angle where Michael Myers' legacy continues through a couple? Sure, that's a little Chucky but it'd be a direction.

Instead it's just weird, not totally plausible padding.

moths fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 4, 2022

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I just don't really see 'I killed someone' as a working pickup line, particularly to someone who lost her mom and her boyfriend and probably a bunch of friends to a killer a few years earlier.

That said I was kind of hoping she'd fully rebel against grandma and we'd end up with Lady Halloween.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I usually hate that insta-love thing, but in this case it didn't bother me because it wasn't real. Corey obsessively latched on to the first girl who knew his story but still liked him anyway. Allyson liked Corey because he made her feel something after she'd spent years numbing the trauma of losing her parents, her boyfriend, and her entire friend group in one night. Allyson doesn't want to put any of those feelings on Laurie, who's also trying to recover, especially because Allyson's choice to turn vigilante is why Karen's dead. So it's not some Twilight poo poo where everyone pretends the bad relationship is this whirlwind beautiful romance. As soon as Laurie pushed them together, there was a sense that it wouldn't end well.

While their relationship was a big part of the plot, for me it tied in to both the family story of the first two movies and the overall corruption of Haddonfield because that town is so hosed up that it turned Laurie's cutesy attempt to help her granddaughter move on into yet another murder spree. Laurie may have found some peace while working on her book, but Allyson's not there yet. And she can't get there while she's still in Haddonfield and still so focused on her grandmother's feelings.

I enjoyed the movie a lot, and I love that they gave us something verging on a Halloween III experience. But as I mentioned before, the first Halloween movie I saw theatrically at release was 6, and I think the what-the-fuckery of that one broke me of having any expectations going into a new Halloween film.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Arivia posted:

I don't have film analysis training/knowledge but I could tell in the way they were framing the clinic scene with the two of them smiling at each other that they were supposed to be into each other. I was simulwatching with like four other people and they all saw it too.

See, I thought that scene of her smiling was just regular old "nurse making the patient feel calm" - I didn't get love vibes at all. It's that fantasy of "the waitress was so kind to me and now I am in love" and in this movie - it worked!

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

moths posted:

That "love story" was also the most incel misconception of romance: A creepy awkward dude does absolutely nothing and an attractive woman (with a job) just starts loving you unconditionally.

This is the reason they're mad at the "femoids" - they never get picked for their fantasy of arbitrary obsession. A relationship takes mutual effort & interest, not Kills's beautiful fish jumps into your canoe scenario.

Corey is handsome, fit, sensitive (or appears so), has an interesting recent life story, and has plenty of time to devote to a woman. He's attractive and sometimes mutual attraction leads to infatuation.

Whether the movie convincingly sells the romance is definitely debatable, but bringing up inceldom in any capacity here is kind of bonkers.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm not saying Corey's an incel or meant to evoke or represent one.

I'm saying that the romantic arc described by Kills is their no-effort "woman just magnetizes to your Chad alpha jawline" fantasy scenario.

Once he makes Micheal Myers his bitch and kills a homeless dude, she can't keep her hands off of him!

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Maybe it's just my experience but if two people are really into each other from the get-go and they're both open and available all you really need is one party to go "so you wanna do this?"

Also if a woman I was dating made Michael Myers her bitch and killed that particular homeless dude that would definitely be a plus for me in the "might be a keeper" column, but ymmv and all that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Who is the more divisive character in their respective fandom, Corey in the Halloween franchise, or David in the Alien franchise?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

People hate David? gently caress, he's incredible!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

David was so good but Prometheus doesn't belong in the Alien franchise.

Because it sucked.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Man, the streaming rights for this franchise sucks, the first five Halloween movies are spread across two different streaming sites (1,4,5 are on shudder, 2 and 3 on tubi), the zombie movies are split between Tubi and HBO Max, Kills is also on HBO Max, but Ends is on Peacock, and the 2018 remake and everything past 6 is unavailable. Super lame.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Are the DVD rights also hosed? I went to Walmart and the seasonal horror bundles rack only had a II & III set and and both Zombie's together.

There may have been a Part 1, but I just remember being frustrated that you couldn't just one-box buy it like SAW or NoES.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

The rights to the various Halloween movies are divided among like 5 different companies. There have been box sets released at various times, but since it requires the publisher to work with each and every one of the rights holders it's understandable why it's relatively rare.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Yeah, there was that box set that Scream Factory put out that had everything from 1978 through Resurrection and the two Rob Zombies, along with the first official release of the Producer's Cut of 6, but it's OOP now and generally going for ridiculous prices online.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
A funny thing about the Halloween licensing is that a bunch of the Michael Myers/Halloween merch you find at, like, Spirit Halloween is all branded as "Halloween II"-specific products. If you find the standard Myers mask, it'll have a Halloween 2 tag attached, even if there's nothing to distinguish it from the original movie's mask. They just have to make it clear that it's not from the first movie, because that'd require the permission of an entirely different company.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Trick or treat studios has the rights to all the masks and has masks for every movie

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

King Vidiot posted:

A funny thing about the Halloween licensing is that a bunch of the Michael Myers/Halloween merch you find at, like, Spirit Halloween is all branded as "Halloween II"-specific products. If you find the standard Myers mask, it'll have a Halloween 2 tag attached, even if there's nothing to distinguish it from the original movie's mask. They just have to make it clear that it's not from the first movie, because that'd require the permission of an entirely different company.

Oh THAT’s why I saw Halloween II branded candy tins.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Lol if you're applying terms like "nice guy token" and "Chad alpha jawline" to a fairly standard on-screen romance it might not be the movie that has the incel problem.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I could say the same of a post critical of that criticism.

But I made a thing instead

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I can't get over how Corey was bullied around by marching band members rather than the usual jocks. When he was somewhere in his mid 20s to boot.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That feels like a McBride choice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Henchman of Santa posted:

That feels like a McBride choice.

DDG was tormented by a sadistic French horn player in high school.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

poo poo head kids come from all walks of life

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

moths posted:

I could say the same of a post critical of that criticism.

Sometimes girls just like you and want to be your girlfriend, it happens!

moths posted:

But I made a thing instead

LOL this is pretty good

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Human Tornada posted:

Lol if you're applying terms like "nice guy token" and "Chad alpha jawline" to a fairly standard on-screen romance it might not be the movie that has the incel problem.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Anyone catch the group of guys in the subway chanting "EVIL DIES TONIGHT" in Scream VI?

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
I decided to watch the Halloween trilogy that started in 2018 back-to-back, one movie per night, on my long MLK Day weekend, after having only seen the original 1978 Halloween movie before. My general opinions are that Halloween 2018 was quite good, Kills was well-made but a little repetitive, and Ends was a good movie on its own but a really bad fit in the context of the previous movies.

It's incredibly clear when you watch Kills and Ends one day after the other. Michael is taken down in a much less ambiguous way than before, shot multiple times through the chest and we actually see the blood, beaten with various blunt instruments, stabbed, and then not only gets up but proceeds to massacre a whole bunch of people without seemingly breaking a sweat, then kills Karen. Laurie realizes this, says to the camera, "I'm coming for you," then walks out of the hospital with a bloody knife, staring solemnly into the camera. And then...Michael runs off and hides in a storm drain for 4 years? And Laurie decides to just move on and try to live a normal life in Haddonfield? And the town isn't placed on total lockdown every year on and around Halloween for like, decades afterwards?

I like Ends as a movie decently enough, but it feels like a sequel to a totally different movie, or at least a Part 2 with a totally different ending. If the beat down at the end of Kills had ended when there was some sort of distraction before anyone could land a killing blow, and Michael got up and staggered off into the night visibly weakened, and fell into a river or something and escaped in a way where people think he likely died but a body is never found, then yeah, I could see that setting up Ends. The mob beat Michael badly enough that he lost most of his mojo and decided to lay low, eventually even Laurie decided to move on, and everything else proceeds as in the actual film. But that's not what Kills set up, and the transition is pretty jarring. The marketing didn't help either, even though I only bothered to watch one trailer for Ends before I watched it.

Overall a well-made but IMHO strangely plotted trilogy of movies.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Halloween Ends' awkward time jump is due to COVID issues. Like, the movie overall has problems, but they had to do the big time shift they weren't originally planning for because of COVID spiking production and forcing them to do some rewrites.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Did they? It's been a while since I've seen these (massive letdown) sequels, but why did they HAVE to do a time skip cos of covid?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because DGG during his time while covid was happening decided to change the whole third film. The ending the OP said above about Laurie telling Michael she's coming was in the extended version not the theatrical version that DGG used as a jumping off point.

this is the real ending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epqAUHByUJA&t=277s

for posterity the extended ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O__vAyegKG0

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Okay. So it looks like a good part of my confusion was the baffling decision to make only the Extended Cut available for viewing on streaming services. It would probably cost them, like, literally an additional $1-2 per year per streaming service to host both versions of the film in full even if the streaming services couldn't be bothered to program in seamless branching. WTF?

But even with the edits that they made to change the tone you still have the same basic events of Michael cutting his way through an armed crowd after taking multiple point blank bullets to and through the upper torso, among other things, and then murdering Karen before disappearing into the night. I still have a hard time buying that the Strode family (without at the very least moving far away) and Haddenfield in general would get back to anything resembling normal in just 4 years.

If I was in DGG's position, I would have reshot the ending if possible. Michael notices the crowd before they have a chance to surround him, grabs the mask and runs, gets hit and stabbed as he runs away and, again, gets shot and falls into a river or something. Then yeah, maybe after 4 years I could buy people acting like Michael's probably gone even if they couldn't be sure.

And if that wasn't feasible, just go back to the original idea for Part 3 and set the new concept aside for the future. There's nothing inherently expensive about the premise for Halloween Ends if you file off the serial numbers, and non-franchise horror movies with reasonable budgets still get theatrical releases on a regular basis.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

INH5 posted:

If I was in DGG's position, I would have reshot the ending if possible. Michael notices the crowd before they have a chance to surround him, grabs the mask and runs, gets hit and stabbed as he runs away and, again, gets shot and falls into a river or something. Then yeah, maybe after 4 years I could buy people acting like Michael's probably gone even if they couldn't be sure.

To be fair, when he shot the ending for Kills he didn’t expect a pandemic to turn the world upside down shortly after it came out, so it’s not like he could have filmed it with the gap in mind.

I do agree that a smarter way to do it might have been to have no time jump whatsoever, but they wanted to incorporate the pandemic putting the world on hold into the narrative. In that sense, Haddonfield very much was “on lockdown” for years and there was no Halloween and everyone stayed indoors, just not because of Michael Myers specifically.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

INH5 posted:

Okay. So it looks like a good part of my confusion was the baffling decision to make only the Extended Cut available for viewing on streaming services. It would probably cost them, like, literally an additional $1-2 per year per streaming service to host both versions of the film in full even if the streaming services couldn't be bothered to program in seamless branching. WTF?

But even with the edits that they made to change the tone you still have the same basic events of Michael cutting his way through an armed crowd after taking multiple point blank bullets to and through the upper torso, among other things, and then murdering Karen before disappearing into the night. I still have a hard time buying that the Strode family (without at the very least moving far away) and Haddenfield in general would get back to anything resembling normal in just 4 years.

And if that wasn't feasible, just go back to the original idea for Part 3 and set the new concept aside for the future. There's nothing inherently expensive about the premise for Halloween Ends if you file off the serial numbers, and non-franchise horror movies with reasonable budgets still get theatrical releases on a regular basis.

yeah its dumb even with the regular ending of Kills, i think you just gotta ignore any sort of logic or "realistic" reactions to Michael

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

To be fair, when he shot the ending for Kills he didn’t expect a pandemic to turn the world upside down shortly after it came out, so it’s not like he could have filmed it with the gap in mind.

I do agree that a smarter way to do it might have been to have no time jump whatsoever, but they wanted to incorporate the pandemic putting the world on hold into the narrative. In that sense, Haddonfield very much was “on lockdown” for years and there was no Halloween and everyone stayed indoors, just not because of Michael Myers specifically.

The only surviving significant teenage character at the end of Halloween Kills was Allyson. Andi Matichak was aged 23 when Halloween 2018 was filmed, 25 when Halloween Kills was filmed, 27 when Halloween Ends was filmed. Having her still play a teenager at age 27 in Part 3 wouldn't have been anywhere remotely close to the most ridiculous case of Dawson Casting that Hollywood has ever done. Unless I missed something, nobody died or had any health issues that prevented them from coming back in Part 3. Doing a "minus 4 years" period piece set in a town that's fictional to begin with would have been trivial on a $33 million budget.

Unless, again, I'm missing something I don't see any major barriers on the technical side to filming the original idea, no time jump, with a 1.5 year delay in filming.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

INH5 posted:

The only surviving significant teenage character at the end of Halloween Kills was Allyson. Andi Matichak was aged 23 when Halloween 2018 was filmed, 25 when Halloween Kills was filmed, 27 when Halloween Ends was filmed. Having her still play a teenager at age 27 in Part 3 wouldn't have been anywhere remotely close to the most ridiculous case of Dawson Casting that Hollywood has ever done. Unless I missed something, nobody died or had any health issues that prevented them from coming back in Part 3. Doing a "minus 4 years" period piece set in a town that's fictional to begin with would have been trivial on a $33 million budget.

Unless, again, I'm missing something I don't see any major barriers on the technical side to filming the original idea, no time jump, with a 1.5 year delay in filming.

No I’m right there with you, I think eschewing the time jump was the way to go, I’m just providing the reasoning for why Kills’ ending is the way it is (they didn’t know a pandemic was coming and that they’d end up doing a time jump) and why Ends included the time jump (they wanted to incorporate the pandemic into the narrative).

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Laurie's monologue at the end of Halloween Kills is maybe a bit overlooked. While they weren't going down the supernatural route like the Thorn storyline, I think they were wanting to lean into a slightly metaphysical, psychodynamic viewpoint of evil stretching its claws into the town, kind of like the influence of Pennywise on Derry in IT.

Laurie considers the hysteria shown by the Haddonfield citizens when mercilessly hunting Tivoli as Michael's indirect influence of being able to diffuse mayhem and stupidity into everyone.

I think there's some further background story in the Halloween Ends (or possibly the Kills) novelisation that describes a murder committed in a secure hospital by Myer's cellmate. Loomis basically tries to tell people that it was Michael's influence on the perpetrator that he is able to have, without saying a word.

Can I also shout out again to the job done on Loomis in Halloween Kills - absolutely beautiful nostalgia to see such a faithful recreation of Donald Pleasence.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Weird that Michael observed quarantine.

Masking is on brand though.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Am I loving crazy? I remember talk about the pandemic being incorporated into the storyline during interviews, but I don't remember anything being said about it at all in the movie itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Am I loving crazy? I remember talk about the pandemic being incorporated into the storyline during interviews, but I don't remember anything being said about it at all in the movie itself.

Oh it made it into the movie

Michael’s evil is the infection lmao