Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Great thread idea! This is interesting to read.

Are all American librarians given training on Narcan?

Are you allowed to veto book choices for kids that seem like a bad idea? Like if a six year old wanted to check out American Psycho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I use the King County Library system and Hoopla and Overdrive are fantastic. I've been enjoying Hoopla's ridiculous archive of top tier comics (finally getting around to Sandman and Hellboy) that are easy to read on a tablet, and Overdrive has a great collection of audiobooks.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Regarding outdated books, some that stand out at used bookstores are late 80s populist economic writings about how we need to fear the Japanese taking over the world and buying all our skyscrapers. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples but those come to mind as not even being interesting from a novelty perspective. Would stuff like that or like "Windows 95 for Dummies" be automatically bound for the pulp mill?

I have been enjoying using Hoopla and Libby. Hoopla is excellent for comics and I like how it gives you 10 borrows a month and a 500 page collection counts as one. I think someone mentioned Overdrive and I had used that but it was a bit clunky, but Libby is fantastic. Great UI, especially the little "thanks buddy!" if you return something early someone else has on hold.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Our local library has a great kids section but is there a reason lift the flap books for toddlers aren’t more common? Do they just get destroyed too fast?