Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

How well does an $80k flute hold it's value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brugroffil posted:

I don't know about the flute market, but professional level saxophones hold their value pretty well relative to inflation and not a whole lot more. For like, basically one model (Selmer Mark VI) you might make a profit over that in the course of decades depending. Probably not on an alto, maybe on a tenor, and almost definitely on a bari, but only one with low A. But you've also eaten all of that profit getting it repadded and resprung durning your ownership in order to keep it playable.

I wouldn't consider instruments like that to be an investment. They're something to play.

Perhaps when you're getting into Stratovarius territory you're essential talking about an art and museum piece so all bets are off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

brugroffil posted:

its not gonna beat the US equities market but most well maintained above-student-grade musical instruments hold value well and appreciate in nominal terms over time.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

chuck pulls in like ten mil a year in base pay from TNT right now after making like 40 million in his NBA career so i think hes gonna be ok

If he was losing a mill a weekend in Vegas, that's gonna add up fast. Gambling leaks scale up and up, until you are broke no matter how much you earn.

I'm laughing that his "friends" have talked him into starting to gamble again (aka taking them back to Vegas on crazy rear end trips), and just setting his limits back at a couple hundred K instead of a million. That ain't gonna work too long, and drat, he was out, quit for 2 years.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
but if a large part of the price is getting a bespoke one custom made for your own preferences and hand measurements then that value (unlike the general materials, craftsmanship etc) is not gonna be especially resellable

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
If you just want a lovely upright piano, people will pay you to take them!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cerekk posted:

If you just want a lovely upright piano, people will pay you to take them!

Unlike mobile games though, you can't just combine three of them for a higher quality one.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Unlike mobile games though, you can't just combine three of them for a higher quality one.

You can definitely use multiple slurp juices on one Pape, though.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just wanna laugh at people BWM like this genius who lost 25 million USD gambling.

[url]https://x.com/ClubShayShay/status/1785824594542424510[url]

Nice DraftKings logo in the top corner there. They're getting good value for the sponsorship.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Jesse Ventura posted:

Jesus Christ, how?! Venues have their own sound systems!

Bachelor of audio production
Diploma in live event hosting
Bachelor of stage and event lighting

If you've got money there's someone willing to take it

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

brugroffil posted:

Flutes are open tubes so the value just all runs out of one end

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

. . . flute . . . chord . . .

what do you think a flute is

VV oh alright fair enough guess i'm BWW

pyknosis fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 4, 2024

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pyknosis posted:

what do you think a flute is

It's called a "fingering chord" when you press more than one key at the same time on a wind instrument. As opposed to a string or multi-instrument chord where you have multiple sound sources that combine to form a new sound.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Y’all are driving me crazy. If you are performing the music, you don’t get a PhD. You get a Doctorate of Musical Arts or DMA. The only people who get music PhDs are music theory, music history, and musicology.

To the person who asserted that classical music is some sort of pure merit, judged on their skill and skill alone, I say LOL and enjoy just the most recent horrifying scandal. https://www.vulture.com/article/new-york-philharmonic-sexual-assault-scandal.html How many of your jobs have a performance review rating for “Takes a casual rape like a champ”

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
early modern music with early modern values. could prolly sack and slaughter a walled city if they were better at math and weapons, too

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Baddog posted:

If he was losing a mill a weekend in Vegas, that's gonna add up fast. Gambling leaks scale up and up, until you are broke no matter how much you earn.

Didn’t Barkley explicitly say a few years back that he did Taco Bell and nestle Crunch commercials to pay off gambling losses, and that it’s not a gambling problem if you can afford it?

I dunno if that’s GWM or BWM. Certainly not optimal, but also not wrong?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

My sister got her Master's in Vocal performance.

She eventually ended up as a secretary at a music conservatory (and then after 10 years became middle management there.)

There are not a lot of jobs out there for that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Weatherman posted:

Flutes are open tubes so the value just all runs out of one end
Desperately searching Google to see if I'm about to coin the word "euphemisn't".

E: boo

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 4, 2024

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Hutla posted:

Y’all are driving me crazy. If you are performing the music, you don’t get a PhD. You get a Doctorate of Musical Arts or DMA. The only people who get music PhDs are music theory, music history, and musicology.

To the person who asserted that classical music is some sort of pure merit, judged on their skill and skill alone, I say LOL and enjoy just the most recent horrifying scandal. https://www.vulture.com/article/new-york-philharmonic-sexual-assault-scandal.html How many of your jobs have a performance review rating for “Takes a casual rape like a champ”

Jesus

Also who the gently caress doesn't test for GHB in a date rape drug panel?! That's the only one I've ever heard about!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

DarkHorse posted:

Jesus

Also who the gently caress doesn't test for GHB in a date rape drug panel?! That's the only one I've ever heard about!

It's probably the local officers preferred drug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hutla posted:

I don’t think anyone made that assertion

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
maybe they hear it all the time other places and we're just getting a kneejerk xkcd 2071 sorta dealio https://xkcd.com/2071/

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
It was LanceHunter, but I will give you that I am particularly sensitive to that argument.

When younger people ask me what they need to do to get a foothold in classical music, I tell them that the most important thing is that someone else pay all of your bills for about 10 years after finishing your masters. Not only because you will not make money, but because having a day job or being seen to do things like take public transit instead of driving or taking cabs will actively hurt the image that you need to cultivate of being a “true artist who’s not in it for the money”. Of course, this is only possible if you already have money.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I used to know someone with a degree in music theory years ago. One of the best managers I had at Taco Bell.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

I used to know someone with a degree in music theory years ago. One of the best managers I had at Taco Bell.

They must have been skilled at the butt trumpet

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, deffo a early modern nobleman sorta profession

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I know a programmer with a MusAD. I don’t know what that is, but driving with them was fun, because they were always playing stuff in their car that I would not recognize as music but they loved.