Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Scratch Monkey posted:

This feels like the white collar version of “it’s not armed robbery if you use a fake gun”

I didn't know I couldn't do that officer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Baddog posted:

Yah, it's just that we've got *another* tax on honesty at this point. I gotta stop ranting on this, we all know it's hosed.

When fidelity.com has multiple pages set up prominently pushing this product and saying "if you don't have 1099s or w2s, might want to consider keeping some handwritten notes in case the IRS ever bothers you, lolol", it's obviously something that a ton of people are doing. And it's huge, putting a couple thousand into your kids roth starting when they can walk will compound massively for them over 60 years.

Sure but if you are in the position to put thousands of dollars into a kids IRA, you could also put it in something more legitimate like a 529, taxable brokerage, trust, etc. Or, give them an actual job if they're old enough.

The annoying thing is people in this situation have won the game already and still want to do a little fraud to get more tax free growth.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How many millions (billions?) of forgiven PPP "loans" went to "small businesses" suddenly "hiring" a family member as a "bookkeeper", and how much of that was clawed back? It's not that the federal government can't identify this sort of fraud, but lack of resources (and to some extent public opinion about federal white collar law enforcement as a boogeyman) often means they won't go after it.

Every dollar spent on tax fraud enforcement against corporations etc brings back more than 1 dollar in revenue. It's not about lack of resources so much as lack of congressional will to approve such enforcement.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Every dollar spent on tax fraud enforcement against corporations etc brings back more than 1 dollar in revenue. It's not about lack of resources so much as lack of congressional will to approve such enforcement.

There was that massive increase in IRS funding that passed in the IRA:

Whitehouse.gov posted:

One of the most important ways that President Biden has added real fairness to the tax code is by providing the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) with the resources they need to reduce the tax gap and improve service delivery for taxpayers. The gross tax gap is the difference between what taxpayers owe and what they pay, and in 2021, it clocked in at a very large $688 billion. Even after accounting for IRS’s enforcement efforts, the net tax gap was $625 billion in 2021. The Inflation Reduction Act provided $80 billion in additional funding to the IRS, much of which is dedicated to closing the tax gap by specifically enforcing tax compliance by the wealthiest tax evaders.

We now have a new analysis from the U.S. Department of Treasury and the IRS that re-examines the revenue effect of the IRA funding. The IRS estimates that this historic investment—if sustained beyond 2031, as President Biden has proposed—would yield large returns, increasing tax revenue by as much as $851 billion over the next ten years. This estimate reflects a comprehensive methodological update, expanding traditional budgetary estimates beyond the direct impact of additional funding on enforcement to account for the effect of deterrence, updated operational practices, modernized IT infrastructure, and expanded use of data and analytics to drive efficiencies in tax administration and improve tax compliance and fairness.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Now was that a Traditional Inflation Reduction Act, or a Roth Inflation Reduction Act?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

LanceHunter posted:

the republicans have already rolled back 20 billion of that

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

LanceHunter posted:

SpelledBackwards posted:

Now was that a Traditional Inflation Reduction Act, or a Roth Inflation Reduction Act?

I really don't understand why they decided to name this act with an acronym that not only already has a pretty politically significant meaning, but ALSO is the acronym of a financial instrument. Why make everything more confusing?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Dangerously self-posting here, and things are obviously different in the Netherlands:

My parents put me on the payroll for my dad's company the moment they were allowed to. For family businesses that may have been at 14.
Officially they gave me a fixed salary that I didn't receive. No idea where that money actually went.

If I did any actual work (some cleaning in the workshop, designing a form or sales brochure) they'd pay me in cash, off the books.

I later found out they did contribute to a retirement fund automatically, so I ended up with a couple hundred euros in the national metal workers retirement fund. Also 70 bucks in the grocery workers fund because of a job stocking shelves. I had both of those paid out when a rule for 'micro pensions' was implemented because rolling them into my personal retirement account wasn't going to be possible or would take too much work

I really don't think I'd do things the same way if I had kids myself. I think my parents also didn't do this with my two year younger brother and I have no idea why

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

In the UK you can set up a children's ISA (individual savings account) which can be cash, bonds, ETFs, whatever (it can actually be actively managed as well),income on it is tax free and the annual contribution limit is like £9k.

When the child reaches 18 the account becomes owned by them and they can withdraw money from it so you can have your child reach 18 and suddenly gain control over 200k+

Combine that with your 15 years of day trading experience and they'll be set for life!!!!

Scratch Monkey posted:

This feels like the white collar version of “it’s not armed robbery if you use a fake gun”

lmao

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Also I had (have?) a tax number from another country thanks to my dad doing some weird poo poo involving "employing me as a labourer" while he was renovating a house out there. The thing is I don't think this actually saved any money anywhere along the lines but I keep meaning to see if I still have it because as we all know, paying tax in a country (even if only theoretically) is more important than actual citizenship by birth and I should try getting approved as a citizen or something.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

In the UK you can set up a children's ISA (individual savings account) which can be cash, bonds, ETFs, whatever (it can actually be actively managed as well),income on it is tax free and the annual contribution limit is like £9k.

When the child reaches 18 the account becomes owned by them and they can withdraw money from it so you can have your child reach 18 and suddenly gain control over 200k+

Combine that with your 15 years of day trading experience and they'll be set for life!!!!

lmao

Hey remember when Labour were in power and actually put a couple of hundred quid in those child savings accounts to get them started? So they almost weren't a vehicle for already rich people to have another way to avoid tax? Great days.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
It looks like as of 2024 you can now roll up to 35k from a 529 education savings plan into an IRA so you don't need to fiction earnings up to that amount.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

It looks like as of 2024 you can now roll up to 35k from a 529 education savings plan into an IRA so you don't need to fiction earnings up to that amount.

The rules on that still require earned income.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Are there just perpetual 529s that get reassigned to a new family member every few years? It's the reassignment clause from the original recipient or is it just whoever is the current recipient?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

root of all eval posted:

Are there just perpetual 529s that get reassigned to a new family member every few years? It's the reassignment clause from the original recipient or is it just whoever is the current recipient?

The custodian can designate the beneficiary and change it at any time, including to themselves.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
The financial blogger thing to do seems to be to hire your kids as models for your website to get them earned income.

Very reasonable and above the board, imho.

I'm seething with jealousy.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Residency Evil posted:

The financial blogger thing to do seems to be to hire your kids as models for your website to get them earned income.

Very reasonable and above the board, imho.

I'm seething with jealousy.

I read the initial 'financial guru' .jpg way to send money to your kids but at $14,600/year for what, 18 year that's about $262,800 'tax free'. How is this different from just gifting them up to the $13.61 million lifetime limit? Same with the financial blogger idea, aren't these just more headaches?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

adnam posted:

I read the initial 'financial guru' .jpg way to send money to your kids but at $14,600/year for what, 18 year that's about $262,800 'tax free'. How is this different from just gifting them up to the $13.61 million lifetime limit? Same with the financial blogger idea, aren't these just more headaches?

I think the whole thing about routing it through a sham LLC or S-Corp is it reduces the parents' taxes as well. Plus the Roth money grows tax free for life while a one time gift would have to be invested in a taxable account.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

And, if your children are responsible, the withdrawal penalty is an additional guiderail to keep them from touching it (as opposed to a gift sitting in a taxable account).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I also do not believe gift income is considered earned income so you cannot put it in a Roth IRA to grow and be withdrawn tax free. The real advantage of funding kids Roth IRAs are that they do not pay any tax at all on the earned income due to making so little, but investing all of it makes for a complete tax loophole.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

See, this is a completely reasonable way to approach it. Just make it simple and clearly accessible to everyone.

By putting these nominal barriers up, we just restrict it to whoever is willing to bend/break the rules. And I guess child actors, fintwit models, or kids who live in Louisiana.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Hey remember when Labour were in power and actually put a couple of hundred quid in those child savings accounts to get them started? So they almost weren't a vehicle for already rich people to have another way to avoid tax? Great days.

So how easy was it for the parents to withdraw those couple hundred quid?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

So how easy was it for the parents to withdraw those couple hundred quid?

Not especially as far as I can recall. All you could do was add to it or move it to another provider. It transferred to the child when they were sixteen but they couldn't take money out until they were 18.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

For random work related reasons and looked up UK ISA's the other day and man what a great tax giveaway. A Roth IRA, except there's no income limits and you can have the profits tax free at any age.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I thought the income limit on a Roth IRA was just a wink wink nudge nudge """limit""" since everyone above it can just do a backdoor? Tax avoidance: bad except when it's allowed?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

mrmcd posted:

For random work related reasons and looked up UK ISA's the other day and man what a great tax giveaway. A Roth IRA, except there's no income limits and you can have the profits tax free at any age.

There is a contribution limit about 20k

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Tax avoidance: bad except when it's allowed?

Isn't the very definition of tax avoidance is that it's allowed? If it weren't allowed, it would be tax evasion. Or did you mean good if explicitly called out as allowed, vs. implicit loopholes?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

There is a contribution limit about 20k

The mega backdoor has a significantly higher limit, though you need a cooperative employer to pull that one off.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Saw this on twitter it's probably most likely fake but still lol:

"When did McDonald's get so expensive?"

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
QUICK SOMEONE POST THE DRILL TWEET BUT WITH "stop paying for onlyfans"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Weatherman posted:

no

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Weatherman posted:

"Only Fan's"

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Onlys Fan

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

That person is a very big fan of something. I assume boobs?

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
No, he is the ONLY fan bankrolling these amazing breast artists (breastists?), the times of Gaius Maecenas are back baby

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's actually all McDonalds. The OP is this guy:

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Fil5000 posted:

I really don't understand why they decided to name this act with an acronym that not only already has a pretty politically significant meaning, but ALSO is the acronym of a financial instrument. Why make everything more confusing?

Because Joe Manchin had already said he wasn’t gonna vote for Build Back Better

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc

Bubblyblubber posted:

No, he is the ONLY fan bankrolling these amazing breast artists (breastists?), the times of Gaius Maecenas are back baby

I'd have gone for "brartists" personally.

Another option: "probreassionals." Like, professionals at breasts. Works better spoken than written I think.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Boris Galerkin posted:

Saw this on twitter it's probably most likely fake but still lol:

"When did McDonald's get so expensive?"

I have to know what this person’s secret is to only spending Ł7.47 moon dollars / $9.44 freedom bucks at Costco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Buncha hotdogs