Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bob dobbs is dead posted:

arent priests supposed to not tell literally anyone about confessions under pain of instant excommunication

Did the priests say anything? I figure the applicant told them about the confession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Motronic posted:

No payments have been made (obviously, since he never filed)

Not even how taxes work!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SiGmA_X posted:

Dude is a contractor, if he didn't pay anything, nothing was paid...?

She said that it was obvious that he didn’t pay because he didn’t file. He could have been paying quarterly, or paid an estimated amount, and never got around to filing the return. I did the latter one year when I was super depressed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Wafer posted:

Hedge fund managers don't necessarily make money from investments, they make it from fees.

The big money there is from carried interest, though, which is predicated on investment returns, right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Wafer posted:

Hedge funds make a lot in fees. Carried interest is their share of whatever the hedge fund makes. Which can be really good, except since 2008 hedge funds are up about 22% whereas the S&P is up 85%. So it doesn't sound like most hedge fund managers are getting a lot of carried interest money.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/09/buffett-challenge-hedge-funds-vs-index-funds-9-years-on.html

Sure, S&P returns would be better, but carried interest is also massively leveraged. Management fees are around 3% a year as I understand it, taxed as income, versus taking 20% of profits taxed as capital gains. It really matters how the 22% is spread over the decade though, because they don’t share in losses. (Other than reduced management fees because of a reduced NAV, of course.) The few hedgefolk I ran into when I was in VC emphasized carry when talking about comp, which they would do at the slightest provocation.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Wafer posted:

And also probably laundering money because who keeps their money in a hedge fund that's returning 2% over a decade.

They might just to have exposure to a different asset class as part of some family office’s strategy. Even pensions and endowments typically have some target percentage of the VC/PE/hedge sort of asset class, for reasons that I am not financially sophisticated enough to quite understand. It was helpful when raising a fund, though!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BWM 2019: it’s my mistake to make

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SiGmA_X posted:

I'm guessing its a replacement for the annual AUM based fees. It feels really loving high.

Depends a lot on the AUM, I guess.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Eight whole feet? Why, if they were in shape, they might have needed a milk crate!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In one of the bitcoin threads someone shared a report that value is being moved out of those wallets already.:can:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

END ME SCOOB posted:

So yeah, seems like yet another crypto CEO taking the cash and running.

CITED BABY!!!1!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Monaghan posted:

She’s on disability. Personally, I think she’s milking the system because I’ve seen her move around and stuff, but I’m not medical expert.

Please don’t. There are lots of kinds of disabilities, and most don’t totally immobilize you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I love When Genius Failed so much.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Guinness posted:

Cell service for an Apple Watch (or similar) is entirely unnecessary. It pairs to your phone AND has WiFi, so as long as it is in range of either you get 100% of the functionality for no additional cost.

How does it make calls over WiFi in the absence of your phone? Is it only FaceTime, or does it rely on the carrier supporting WiFi calling? (Mine doesn’t.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Furia posted:

Wait, the applewatch can make calls independently or does it necessitate an iphone?

Not thinking of getting one but now I’m curious

It can make calls over cellular or sometimes wifi, but you need an iPhone to set it up and for some things the iPhone needs to be on a network even if it’s not nearby.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Lmao my dude if wealthy folks don't use libraries because they can afford not to, and poor people are disproportionately affected by late fees it is absolutely a class issue.

I think you’ll find, actually, that it is a matter of the libraries being principled on their defense of equality.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spwrozek posted:

Less spent on books, more spent on hookers and blow.

You haven’t lived until you’ve railed a few lines of coke off a midget’s rear end while your domme quizzes you on the nuances of Proust.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nocheez posted:

My bad, I didn't expect to spark a huge outrage with my "all people should return their library books on time" opinion.

Do you understand that poor people often have less time flexibility and worse transportation options than those better off? Returning a book is a very different thing when you can swing by in your car after your one 9-5 job than when you have to fit in an hour round trip between your shifts.

It is a bad opinion, because it demands more of those with fewer resources in order for them to access a public service.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well it’s even easier if the nanny does it because then you can just withhold the fines from her pay if the books are late. Plus penalties of course, to help her learn better.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

baquerd posted:

If it's literally part of her job, that sounds like it would just be a reprimand scaling with incident rate and severity potentially ending in termination. Don't think you can legally withhold from pay like that though.

Like she can afford a lawyer.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

therobit posted:

So at what point do we get to hold people accountable?

Accountable for what? And why does “accountable” have to mean financial consequences that are identical in number but obviously not in impact on the person?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

therobit posted:

What mechanism would you suggest to get people to return their library books?

If you made me guess, the Netflix DVD model (N at a time, indefinite, free postal returns) plus gentle nagging. But the no-fine libraries that exist probably have better ideas. I’d add a PWYC annual fee for membership too, probably.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

How'd the wife not notice a $15,000 computer appearing in the house hold? You know that's gonna have some ostentatious red LEDs all over it

I wonder how high you can get with custom gaming laptops. Those are easier to hide.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

baquerd posted:

Transamerica's phone number is 1-800-PYRAMID. As far as I know, there's nothing particularly terrible about the company, but how could they think that was a good idea?

That’s an iconic building and logo you’re talking about there.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

baquerd posted:

Ok, but that just makes it worse.

How so?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BonerGhost posted:

I feel like whatever they gain in selling a real product, they lose in misrepresenting it in a very illegal way.

Why haven’t they been shut down?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

H110Hawk posted:

Outside of Orlando is just swamp. The everglades is much further south. There is nothing worth doing in Orlando, Disney included.

Kennedy Space Center isn’t far and it’s pretty fun at least once.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zauper posted:

The requests also bounced because they didn't contain an API key and thus weren't stored on the google servers (or so they claim), and were sent as HTTPS requests.

I mean, I'm not an engineer, but it feels like a lot of work to assume that someone at google is going through all spell check API requests looking for your passcode in the first place regardless of all that. Even if they are fairly 'apparent'. And that they only stole $50k, and only from one person? If everyone is right about how easy it is, wouldn't they have stolen more money / from more people?

Yeah, this is stupid on the part of the authors but not actually very risky.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I was going to go with Kai’s Power Tools, but I’m feeling that too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

George H.W. oval office posted:

I’m the shower benches that are out of the way of the water

That’s unironically where I’d want them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dillbag posted:

Yes, but only if you promise not to post his. Because reasons?

That’s what he said about dick pics too, but I don’t think it’s legally binding.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There’s a highish-end Toronto hotel that works that way since about 2009, but I don’t know how well it performs financially for the unit owners. Probably better than “buy a condo that is empty 90% of the time”, at least.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Wafer posted:

If I was running a time share presentation I’d pick an area with really lovely wireless internet. I have to imagine these work best on cruise ships or resorts where your coverage is limited and you lack the ability to quickly fact check.

Your target market would never even think to do fact checking, I think.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Wafer posted:

Legally she has no standing, but morally he tricked her into sex or sexual behavior so her consent was not freely given. You’re allowed to lie to someone for sex, but it’s still not a good thing.

Not everywhere, and not true for all lies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_by_deception

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cyrano4747 posted:

Turns out that “that guy who is homeless because bitcoin” isn’t as descriptive as it should be.

I dunno, I get a pretty vivid impression.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A buddy of mine is a public school teacher in the Palo Alto area of California, and to make ends meet, he is a white water rafting guide in the summer, and sleeps in his car in Walmart parking lots

They have the cleanest bathrooms, Redbox for DVDs, and sometimes even Wi-Fi!

Also, and this is possibly important, my understanding is that they won’t call the cops on you unless you cause a problem.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nephzinho posted:

It is a weekly discussion / keeps our COO up at night.

Does your company have a backup COO?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yep, spending money to save time is why most people drive instead of walking in the first place.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volkerball posted:

I don't think it's really fair to lump LTCM's business model in with what Lehman and co were doing with subprime mortgages.

Maybe not to the knowing sub-prime fraud, but I think that a lot of the build-up to disaster in both cases was predicated on underestimation of how correlated different risks could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ixian posted:

is the most Palo Alto startup quote ever. I love it. I deal with a lot of Silicon Valley startups with their VCs hovering over them and have seen some poo poo but this one wins the prize.

I don’t understand why the startup would have to pay off a VC at all. That’s not how the model works, really.