Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I wish more comics stopped at that level of coloring. It's probably not artistically satisfying for the colorist, but what a solid look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

The Last Call posted:

He has failed to finish a few books hasn't he?

Popular ones even, not for DC but other publishers.
Some don't get finished, some just take a very long time to finish.

At Marvel:
Supreme Power launched in August 2003 as MAX reinterpretation of the Squadron Supreme. 18 issues came out in the first two years, followed by a five issue Hyperion mini-series that had some delays, then a Squadron Supreme series that also was delayed and ended on a cliffhanger after 7 of ?? issues came out and then the project just kind of... stopped.

While Squadron Supreme was drifting off, JMS took over Fantastic Four in May 2005, and lasted sixteen issues before quitting the book either depending on when you ask due to a combination of vision problems, Hollywood commitments, wanting to dedicate more time to the impending Thor launch, or because he was mad at his event pitch being turned down for Civil War.

Thor was a book that he was very up front about leaving because Marvel asked for him to let Thor start interacting with other books/rejoin the Avengers after Siege, and he was upset because he was promised they'd leave him alone to tell his story. The issue was that his story was supposed to take two years, and JMS's first Thor issue came out in July 2007. The last issue of Thor JMS wrote came out in November 2009, and was only his seventeenth issue of the book.

Then there was The Twelve, a twelve issue series that had a big gap so it took close to four years to finish.

At DC:
Pretty much everything was delayed and/or never got finished:

Brave & the Bold: Initially announced as a place for him to revamp the Archie/Red Circle superhero characters in fall 2008, then got shifted to "just DC superheroes teaming up" featuring a first issue with Batman & the Spectre. When his first issue dropped over a year later, there was no Spectre and while he teased a twist/character pairing that would "up the ante" and make the book a hit, he left the book a few months after the interview so no idea what he was planning.

The Red Circle revamp ended up being a series of four one-shots that didn't involve any crossover with the DCU, which then spun-off into some short-lived series that JMS didn't get involved with.

He did end up launching Earth One with Superman: Earth One, intended to be an annual series of OGNs with a brand new continuity. Three volumes were released between 2010 and 2015. He was also supposed to do "Samaritan X", an OGN about a hospital for superheroes in Gotham, but that also never materialized. He jumped off his concurrent Superman and Wonder Woman runs after 5-6 issues around this time as well.

He was also announced as doing a Flash: Earth One series but that also never happened.

Elsewhere:
Rising Stars did finish, but it took a long time and there was a big gap. In the 2010s he announced a number of other series that I did not keep track of well enough to know if they actually reached the end of their stories. At least one series (with Bill Sienkiewicz) was announced but never solicited. In 2016, he announced he was retiring from comics because he'd done everything he could possibly do with them.

Then in 2018 he signed on to AWA Studios, Axel Alsono & Bill Jemas's company that has put out a remarkable number of comics that no one I know has read. JMS created a new 'superhero universe' for them that sounds kind of like Rising Stars and kind of like Supreme Power, and he's apparently written at least forty issues of various mini-series for them.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

JMS did a great Thor run and a great Spiderman run (tho one with a poo poo ending). That's all I needed.

Also he did something on TV I hear?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I can't tell if this is a slight against the incredibly good "Babylon 5".

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Siegkrow posted:

JMS did a great Thor run and a great Spiderman run (tho one with a poo poo ending). That's all I needed.

Also he did something on TV I hear?

Yeah! He wrote for the cartoon The Real Ghostbusters! And the kind of obscure but insanely full of effort Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future that was meant to sell toys? I guess all 80s cartoons were though

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Jiro posted:

I can't tell if this is a slight against the incredibly good "Babylon 5".

Oh that's his? Huh. I was not into sci-fi when it came out and nowadays I ended up with hype aversion but I keep hearing it's good.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The Twelve was really good. Glad it finished eventually. :unsmith:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Last Call posted:

He has failed to finish a few books hasn't he?

Popular ones even, not for DC but other publishers.

He also bailed on Wonder Woman and Phil Jiminez had to wrap it up.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Siegkrow posted:

Oh that's his? Huh. I was not into sci-fi when it came out and nowadays I ended up with hype aversion but I keep hearing it's good.

Last time I looked into it people were like, "OK you need to watch the first episode, episodes 7 and 9, the last half of 13 and the first half of 14, this Youtube compilation of scenes from episodes 19-21, and the season finale, and then watch from season 2 onwards regularly"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Last time I looked into it people were like, "OK you need to watch the first episode, episodes 7 and 9, the last half of 13 and the first half of 14, this Youtube compilation of scenes from episodes 19-21, and the season finale, and then watch from season 2 onwards regularly"

Just watch it all. Season 1 being bad is basically the same as people saying season 2 of Star Trek TNG is 'bad'. There's a couple of stone cold classics, a half dozen good ones, a dozen mid episodes and like 6-7 stinkers. So, it's like all good network/syndicated TV.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

Just watch it all. Season 1 being bad is basically the same as people saying season 2 of Star Trek TNG is 'bad'. There's a couple of stone cold classics, a half dozen good ones, a dozen mid episodes and like 6-7 stinkers. So, it's like all good network/syndicated TV.

I don't even think there's even that many stinkers in season 1. They make it sound like TNG season 1 sometimes and it's very much not that bad, or really bad at all.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 23, 2024

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah! He wrote for the cartoon The Real Ghostbusters! And the kind of obscure but insanely full of effort Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future that was meant to sell toys? I guess all 80s cartoons were though

I mean his masterpiece was clearly Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah it’s weird because for the most part I actually think JMS is a GOOD writer!! He misses sometimes but when he’s on he’s on! I have some great memories of reading or watching his work! Babylon 5 rocks!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

X-O posted:

I mean his masterpiece was clearly Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors.
I think we have to be friends now. I didn’t think anyone remembered that show. We even had the toys.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oracle posted:

I think we have to be friends now. I didn’t think anyone remembered that show. We even had the toys.

Oh I had some of the toys as well. Which sucked because they were just the vehicles and came with just little generic guys inside of them because I think they made the toy vehicles before they even came up with a cartoon and characters. I clearly remember a good guy vehicle with a claw and gold spiral wheels and a bad guy vehicle with a buzzsaw on top of it.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I read through the first couple bits of the 2004 Supergirl series. That was an odd book.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Beerdeer posted:

I read through the first couple bits of the 2004 Supergirl series. That was an odd book.

Yeah, Supergirl's return was a weird mixed bag all around. I still love that apparently her costume was designed in-universe by Lois and Ma Kent.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I really liked the swamp thing story in the latest brave and the bold.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I think Brave and the Bold started off with Mark Waid and then JMS wrote a terrible story of the Flash being put into world war II and wondering if heroes could still kill if it was during a war. I think he also did a Brother Geek story in B&B

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

The more I read the Power girl comic the more confused I get. It's like they switched the personalities of PG and Supergirl.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Power Girl currently comes off as the writer both loving the character and hating everything about how she has been up until now.

This feels like an entirely different Power Girl, like a cousin or sister to the original. But no, it's her.

I said writer but the changes could be a DC thing with the writer dealing with what she was told to do. That's half the time the situation.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah the Power Girl series is enjoyable but this is pretty much not a recognizable Power Girl. The name change was also really dumb.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Beerdeer posted:

Is this the Matrix version or Jeph Loeb's returned supergirl after editorial got rid of the "Only one survivor of Krypton" They'd been holding onto since 86?

Also, JMS is not a bad writer. He's INCREDIBLY good at building detailed worlds and giving his characters their quirks. The problem is that he has trouble sticking to anything and keeping the ideas coming. I haven't read a lot of his work, but things like Grounded, and Supreme Power are really one core idea that he pushes and fleshes out.

Grounded is "Superman feels he's lost touch with the common man because of depression, so he just walks across America"

Supreme Power is "What if Superman landed and was picked up by the government?" There are other things there (Nighthawk being a racist black man, the idea that super powers only started cropping up because Hyperion's ship spread something in the atmosphere), but it comes back to that core idea of Superman being attached to the government for Hyperion.

But JMS doesn't seem to be able to harness his creativity to keep that story running beyond his initial concept playing out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah the Power Girl series is enjoyable but this is pretty much not a recognizable Power Girl. The name change was also really dumb.

It's especially dumb because it's pages (yes, yes, pun) wasted on a change that absolutely is not going to stick once Williams leaves. It does feel like she likes the idea of Power Girl but basically thinks she should be what Supergirl has been except angstier.

Like, if the book was called Supergirl, the plots were basically the same, but the main character was Kara... the book would actually be better.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Doesn't help the writer treats her as being Supergirl, but not.

They're two very different characters.

Physically
Mentally
Emotionally

Yet the writer acts as if they were almost clones of one another without any difference despite Powergirl having an established identity, personality and more. Yet most of her history almost feels like it doesn't exist in this.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"OK, so who's this Power Girl you want me to write?"

"Oh, she's really cool, she's basically an alternate reality version of Supergirl.."

"OK, gotcha *googles Supergirl*"

"Wait, there's more to her than tha-"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

It's especially dumb because it's pages (yes, yes, pun) wasted on a change that absolutely is not going to stick once Williams leaves. It does feel like she likes the idea of Power Girl but basically thinks she should be what Supergirl has been except angstier.

Like, if the book was called Supergirl, the plots were basically the same, but the main character was Kara... the book would actually be better.

Ha, I actually never looked at it that way and you're completely right

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Last Call posted:

Doesn't help the writer treats her as being Supergirl, but not.

They're two very different characters.

Physically
Mentally
Emotionally

Yet the writer acts as if they were almost clones of one another without any difference despite Powergirl having an established identity, personality and more. Yet most of her history almost feels like it doesn't exist in this.

Yeah, Karen's thing was always her confidence. She was established. And it's very true, Supergirl since basically she's come back has had a very mixed bag of ongoings and what Power Girl has now I would have loved to see Kara have.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

X-O posted:

Oh I had some of the toys as well. Which sucked because they were just the vehicles and came with just little generic guys inside of them because I think they made the toy vehicles before they even came up with a cartoon and characters. I clearly remember a good guy vehicle with a claw and gold spiral wheels and a bad guy vehicle with a buzzsaw on top of it.

Yeah the toy materials were lacking for the good guy side. the MONSTER MINDS were all there though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K0SzFIf4A

(did anyone else as a kid keep thinking 'okay but the wheels have to twist off eventually if they're organic right?')

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

That sounds like basically the new 52 meeting between Supergirl and Power Girl.

... can Power Girl become Power Woman already? Part of her Schtick is she's a more mature person than Supergirl.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Reading her current run, you wouldn’t exactly know her to be more mature than Supergirl.

She almost feels barely out of her teens.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Last Call posted:

Reading her current run, you wouldn’t exactly know her to be more mature than Supergirl.

yeah that sounds like a leah williams comic lol

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

It just feels like she wanted to write a supergirl series and was told to do PG.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Last Call posted:

Yeah, the 'Lilith teaches PG how to roller skate' was not badly written or not charming but an odd fit for PG.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Azubah posted:

I really liked the swamp thing story in the latest brave and the bold.

Same! One of my favorite things I've read in a comic in a long while

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Batman: The Dark Age has been a fun read so far. I've always loved Mike and Laura Allred's work and enjoyed Mark Russell's Flintstones. So far they've been a great combination for this mini series. Can't wait for the remaining issues to come out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Siegkrow posted:

It just feels like she wanted to write a supergirl series and was told to do PG.

Which in itself is weird, because Supergirl feels like the easier sell in the direct market? Why did it need to be a Power Girl title? I genuinely would love to see an interview with Williams and Sauvage about this.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Power Girl is one of my absolute favorite DC characters and every single issue of this run has been absolute suffering for me. Just a complete misunderstanding of everything that makes Power Girl who she is. It's awful and the sooner Williams is off of this book the better, be it via cancellation or someone else coming in and picking up the reins.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You could just not read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

You could just not read it.