Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
All right goddammit I'll watch The Wols Of Jeff Gillooly just stop hitting me with that baton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Michael Shannon revealed on the “Bingeworthy” podcast that he was hesitant to reprise the role of his “Man of Steel” villain General Zod in “The Flash” due to Zack Snyder’s contentious exit from Warner Bros. Snyder directed Shannon as Zod in the 2013 Superman movie, which launched Snyder’s DC Universe. The director expanded his universe with “Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice” and “Justice League,” but the latter was overtaken by the studio once Snyder left in post-production because of a family tragedy. Joss Whedon was brought in for reshoots and overhauled Snyder’s darker tone.

"I was hesitant [to come back] because I wasn’t really happy about what happened to Zack Snyder in that whole deal,” Shannon said. “And I really love Zack. The fact that Zack asked me to play that part to begin with — that’s probably the biggest surprise of my career. It almost felt like a practical joke. I was like, ‘You’re kidding me, right?’"

"But, you know, it’s just really different — these kind of multiverse situations,” Shannon said on the “Bingeworthy” podcast. “The story is a lot more all over the place, you know? And I feel like I mainly exist in ‘The Flash’ as, like, an obstacle or a problem. Whereas, in ‘Man of Steel,’ it was more of a story. Like, ‘The Flash’ is definitely about The Flash – as it should be. So, it’s not as in-depth.”

Violator
May 15, 2003

I think it's so charming that everyone he works with absolutely loves the guy.

I have a serious lack of Michael Shannon in my life. I need to see whatever he's been up to lately. I think the last thing I saw of his was that weird Christmas Bigfoot movie he did.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Violator posted:

I have a serious lack of Michael Shannon in my life. I need to see whatever he's been up to lately. I think the last thing I saw of his was that weird Christmas Bigfoot movie he did.

If you can handle some words not allowed outside of UK/AUS threads, his dramatic reading of the sorority girl email is always fun to revisit from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dngOH9G4UPw

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I can’t stop imagining Michael Shannon saying “you’re kidding me, right?”

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Michael Shannon, preternaturally good at playing scary sociopaths, surprised that someone wanted him to play a scary sociopath.

It's like he honestly doesn't know what a ridiculously good actor he is.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Violator posted:

He was good in Waco. A few days ago I found out they made a sequel show with his character dealing with the aftermath of Waco, so people must have wanted more Michael Shannon, or a second Waco.

Somehow, David Koresh returned.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ruddiger posted:

I can’t stop imagining Michael Shannon saying “you’re kidding me, right?”

Now I want a version of the Guardians of the Galaxy where all of Rocket's dialog is spoken by Michael Shannon. Groot is also just Michael Shannon in a brown suit.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

Michael Shannon, preternaturally good at playing scary sociopaths, surprised that someone wanted him to play a scary sociopath.

It's like he honestly doesn't know what a ridiculously good actor he is.

there's an interview kicking around where he's kinda cheesed at being typecast as a domineering freak, and that his friends laugh at him playing so many serious roles

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
He’s honestly creepier when he’s not trying to be scary

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Michael Shannon is insanely nice IRL. When I worked on Boardwalk Empire, he was the perfect anti-celeb in that he was so humble and accommodating to every person on the crew. The way he behaved, youd think he was a background actor worried any slight misstep might get him kicked off set.

Also seconding Waco 2018, probably one of his best performances IMO(Taylor Kitsch also kills it as Koresch and its got a few other Boardwalk vets in main roles). It really shows his range because its one of the few performances he gets to play a very nice and normal dude.

Sequel series Waco: The Aftermath is a huge step down in quality unfortunately but still interesting.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

AccountSupervisor posted:

Michael Shannon is insanely nice IRL. When I worked on Boardwalk Empire, he was the perfect anti-celeb in that he was so humble and accommodating to every person on the crew. The way he behaved, youd think he was a background actor worried any slight misstep might get him kicked off set.

Also seconding Waco 2018, probably one of his best performances IMO(Taylor Kitsch also kills it as Koresch and its got a few other Boardwalk vets in main roles). It really shows his range because its one of the few performances he gets to play a very nice and normal dude.

Sequel series Waco: The Aftermath is a huge step down in quality unfortunately but still interesting.

I've heard versions of that story from a few people, that he's really nice and extremely normal. And then the director yells 'action' and he's completely terrifying. He's so good in the Shape of Water.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Alexander Hamilton posted:

He’s honestly creepier when he’s not trying to be scary

Even in Man of Steel, Zod's not a quiet character but the part where he's just calmly explaining to Superman how him and Superman's dad were good friends but if he could do it over he'd still kill him was good stuff.

Violator
May 15, 2003

VERO is posting the Q&A sessions on YouTube if you don't have their app. Haven't had a chance to watch the MoS one yet. I think the BvS is going on now.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neo Rasa posted:

Even in Man of Steel, Zod's not a quiet character but the part where he's just calmly explaining to Superman how him and Superman's dad were good friends but if he could do it over he'd still kill him was good stuff.

I love the bit where he magnanimously orders Faora to forgive Kal-El for not addressing him with his proper rank. "Lapses in decorum", such a magnificent rear end in a top hat :allears:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

There was a couple interesting fan questions, one interesting detail was that Zack originally wanted to have the krypton scene in kryptonian without subtitles, which would have been awesome, but alas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wunSLpy29uc

Here's everything about the MoS panel

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

I love the bit where he magnanimously orders Faora to forgive Kal-El for not addressing him with his proper rank. "Lapses in decorum", such a magnificent rear end in a top hat :allears:

You really get the feeling that if Clark had been like, "Okay, your plan sounds good," then Zod absolutely would have taken him under his wing. He always seems genuinely confused as to why Jor-El and Kal-El are against him.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Alexander Hamilton posted:

You really get the feeling that if Clark had been like, "Okay, your plan sounds good," then Zod absolutely would have taken him under his wing. He always seems genuinely confused as to why Jor-El and Kal-El are against him.

Zod is completely sincere in that he would do anything for Krypton. It makes him so much more interesting than the power-hungry versions of the Donner movies or DCAU. He wants to save his people, and no act is beneath him so long as Krypton survives.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/Maj_Schaefer/status/1652500426233618432?s=20

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lmao. "Probably not..."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Zod is completely sincere in that he would do anything for Krypton. It makes him so much more interesting than the power-hungry versions of the Donner movies or DCAU. He wants to save his people, and no act is beneath him so long as Krypton survives.

He basically acts like a single-minded automaton but as far as he's concerned he's literally made for exactly one thing- violence- and so that's his solution to everything.

I'm pretty sure for a while he's been compared to Leonidas if he was born on Krypton instead of Sparta.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He basically acts like a single-minded automaton but as far as he's concerned he's literally made for exactly one thing- violence- and so that's his solution to everything.

I'm pretty sure for a while he's been compared to Leonidas if he was born on Krypton instead of Sparta.

Based on his exchange with Jor-El in the Council chamber, he wasn't always that way. Learning that the council decided to do gently caress-all while their planet was doomed must have radicalized him. Then he discovered Jor-El stole the Codex and that pushed him farther into madness/fascism.

He's a great villain.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Welp ZSJL in IMAX was absolutely loving incredible and I hope they do this in more cities because holy cow this is how it is meant to be seen.

If Im not mistaken, it might be one of or maybe THE only blockbuster non-70mm films to take up an entire IMAX screen for the entire runtime. I was blown away.

4 hours flew by per usual, such a masterfully paced epic.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Just wanted to give yall a heads up, I'm closing the dome in the near future. If one of yall want to drum up a Snyder thread again you're more than welcome, but I'm closing this one since a containment zone is no longer needed.

If you seek his thread, post around you

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cease to Hope posted:

Krypton isn't sending their best. They are authoritarian infiltrators who brutally execute anyone who opposes them, and even the decadent liberal society that exiled them recognized them for the monsters they were. Zod plays the role of a Jewish Bolshevik/Islamofascist, and Krypton plays the symbolic role of the Russian Empire or Middle East destroying itself.

RIP, Snyderdome. It's been fun.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Just wanted to give yall a heads up, I'm closing the dome in the near future. If one of yall want to drum up a Snyder thread again you're more than welcome, but I'm closing this one since a containment zone is no longer needed.

If you seek his thread, post around you

Lame.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nature is healed.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

It is a victory

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Most chill thread, maybe need some kind of Synder-gym instead in future to talk owls and moons.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

At least give us until the Rebel Moon hot takes

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

When will mz decide to lock the alien thread

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's coming dome

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
When I can find the airlock manual override switch

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
rip to a good thread.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

So uhhh SnyderCon was three nights of admittedly sweet showings, especially ZSJL in all imax, but there were no announcements, huh? Apart from Snyder saying he didn't want to spoil anything about Robin and Affleck saying there were ideas he couldn't share about the Batman movie...

Yet movie youtubers/influencers/whoever claim that Snyder whispered something super secret to them at one of the meet n greets and just we wait til something grand is revealed! Eventually! But not to a theater full of his most diehard fans, that would just be untoward.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s done with it. He’s doing cool original poo poo that he can control. And it’ll probably be better

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Rip snyder dome

Live forever in our hearts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Greener pastures await us blessed cultist folk. I'll have something ready probably by tomorrow.