Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

im gonna miss francis in the cage, please take care of him boxing thread

To be honest, I plan to show up in the thread during NGannou's fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Tank Abbot is the reason there's a rule about throwing people out of the ring in the UFC because he tried to Donkey Kong his opponent over the top of the cage once.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Oh wow, this one snuck up on me and didn't realize Ngannou was fighting tonight. Still of the opinion that the thawb looks comfy as hell

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Welp

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Hell yeah chop that big fucker down

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Glad I decided to watch this fight

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

gently caress YEAH

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

SHut up, Fury (with or without the comma)

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

WHy does anyone like Fury? I'm way in the outer orbit of boxing and I"m aware of Fury's mental struggles but he seems like a completely unlikable shithead all the time

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 19, 2024

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

This is even more Looney Tunes than I remember

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Just remembered that Fury shouted out "Happy New Year" out of nowhere (for some reason??) on the mic in the post-fight interview. Usyk knocked him into 2025

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Usyk made Fury run the ropes like it was pro wrestling lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

codo27 posted:

We're still embroiled in the trump era. poo poo bags love to see fellow poo poo bags to cheer on unironically and without shame

avantgardener posted:

As a very casual boxing fan that also doesn't follow Fury closely (though I have followed MMA for a long time and have watched recent Fury fights), my perception of him is:

- He came from a very marginalised background (poor upbringing, uneducated, 'gypsy' / traveler background which is generally on the fringes of society) and made something of himself which is admirable.

- He had a dark period, made some homophobic comments but apologised for them and has been open about mental health struggles - doesn't excuse the comments but at least he seems genuine and has shown contrition / personal development.

- He's had some great fights including that incredible stand up against Wilder and was until yesterday undefeated for 17 years.

- Seems charismatic and breaks the mould of a lot of boxers as his physique is so awkward looking so he's memorable to watch.

- In many ways I think he's a role model for disadvantaged working class Brits, like many boxers / fighters are for their respective communities.

Like I said, all of the above could be argued with and some of it may be completely wrong or spun by his media team, but that's my perception as a casual who's been told about him in the pub and watched a few of his fights.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

As a working class disadvantaged Brit I think he's a oval office who was better than he should have been at boxing

TheKingslayer posted:

Fury looks like one of them mutherfuckers in the space jail in Alien 3

Thanks for these posts; now I understand.