Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Yeeeeeees it's the GOOD poo poo now. Looking forward to seeing just how much of this game I've managed to forget over the years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I seem to recall that using the Ring Soul on Nicolai can boost him up to four attacks here, which results in him finishing his attack sequence with this ridiculous leaping twirly kick. Completely worth it. :colbert:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

With a name like Fafhrd, this guy is definitely going to join our party. Right?

Right? :smith:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Gyehhhuuugh the spidery fingerlegs with the nails - I have never been able to forget those horrible things and somehow they're even worse than I remember.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
The glam-rock vampire doesn't have ears and it probably shouldn't weird me out as much as it does!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
The health inspectors are never gonna pass this wine cellar. All that blood and bugs the size of your torso everywhere... :colbert:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Southampton, England: (temporary) home of The Mustache and The Chin.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
No, you see, you have all guessed right. ALL OF YOU.

Shadow Hearts. :allears:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I always really liked the owl-with-snake crest. It's neat.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Let Joachim dance! Honestly! :colbert:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

The Dark Id posted:

Sapientes Gladio Texas?

"Ducunt volentem fata, y'all."

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

achtungnight posted:

Sadly, the Sapientes Gladio Texas HQ is in Midland

That... that's inhumane. :stonk:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I always liked Nicolai, at least partially because he was such a smug dickhole.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I guess that's how you know that Yuri is not the most mentally active fellow?

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
On a slightly different note: I played this game when it was new (one million years ago) and I remember really liking Nicolai as a character at the time. Reading this LP now, I can't remember why I liked him so much. :sigh:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I guess Nicolai and Karin did spend a few weeks together at the beginning of the game - traveling from Domremy to the Vatican (in a week!) and back - but the game elided that travel time so completely that the player is mostly surprised Karin remembers his name. ;-*

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
All persons fictitious disclaimer

Wikipedia posted:

The disclaimer came as a result of litigation against the 1932 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) film Rasputin and the Empress, which insinuated that the character Princess Natasha had been raped by Russian mystic Rasputin. The character of Natasha was supposedly intended to represent Princess Irina Alexandrovna of Russia, who sued MGM for libel. After seeing the film twice, the jury agreed that the princess had been defamed. Irina and her husband Felix Yusupov were reportedly awarded $127,373 (equivalent to $2,434,000 in 2019) in damages by the English Court of Appeal in 1934, and $1,000,000 (equivalent to $19,000,000 in 2019) in an out-of-court settlement with MGM. As a preventive measure against further lawsuits, the film was taken out of distribution for decades.

The film began with a claim that "This concerns the destruction of an empire … A few of the characters are still alive—the rest met death by violence." Reportedly, a justice in the case told MGM that not only was this claim damaging to their case, but that their case would be stronger if they had incorporated a directly opposite statement, that the film wasn't intended as an accurate portrayal of real people or events. Prompted by the outcome of this case, many studios began to incorporate an "all persons fictitious" disclaimer in their films, to protect themselves from similar court action.

There. Much less annoying than some eight-minute video!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

The Dark Id posted:

Oh, you want to get to the Dead Factory where Umbrella processes and disposes of all the failed experiment corpses in acidic vats? Yeah, just take a left at Maple Street and Pine Ave. It's across from the Denny's.

Of course it is.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I have vague memories of most parts of the Shadow Hearts games, but I have only four really clear ones:

1. SCHLOOP. SCHLOOP. SKREEEEEEEEE.
2. Metal Gear Blanca.
3. Kato crushing Nicolai's skull like a porcelain vase filled with meat.
4. A random sidequesty detail from From The New World.

These games are such a thing.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Ishimura still has the picture of himself and Ben Hyuga posing with Kawashima on his wall and I don't know if that's :smith: or :unsmith:.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Lenny and Veronica! I remember Lenny and Veronica! From back in the relatively-cheerful times!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
The Queen's Garden is actually nice-looking and the monsters are properly grotesque! I approve of this.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Hey, in the second Xenosaga game the church was the final boss. You fought a literal cathedral. Like, the giant stone building. It had an attack called 'Sodomquake'.

I'm not even going to spoil that because a) lol xenosaga and b) I don't know that it actually spoils... anything...? Like, it comes out of nowhere, it means nothing, and it never comes up again.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

CmdrKing posted:

No no no, the final boss is the Space Pope. The cathedral is just his automated last line of defense before you get to him.

Oh, crap, that's right. Also much less entertaining. Boo. :doh:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
So Orobas'... eyeball-dick banana peels... have some kind of half-dressed ladies painted on the insides, I guess?

I love Shadow Hearts monsters. I really do. When they're good they're just a giant pile of WTF.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
When I played the game I didn't start the Fort of Ruin until the final sidequest rampage, after all the plot beats had been beaten out - I remember being convinced/worried that the ghost at the bottom of the fortress was going to be Nicolai and he was going to ask Karin to forgive him for being such a creepy stalker shithead and give her his fancy sword as her ultimate weapon. I'm still kind of sad this didn't happen.

I was not the most completionist player of this game, nooooo

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Also you got to watch a Japanese studio try to handle Native American characters. I do not remember how oof this was, but that may mean that I deliberately blocked it out.

on the other hand Al Capone and Eliot Ness were kind of hilarious

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Thank you for continuing the LP despite its curse, Id. :shobon:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Teddy Roosevelt would have forced his way into the party. You all know this in your heart of hearts.

Well, not to spoil From The New World or anything, but we may or may not have had a Roosevelt in our party there!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
shlooooooop
shlooooooop
skreeeeeee

Twenty-some-odd years later and that sound still lives in my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Gotta admit, I've been waiting for the Karin/Anne reveal. WHOOPS LOL SHE'S YOUR MOMMA

Thanks for everything, Id!