Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
Spoilers for a fun sequence in Alien Isolation & a nice throwback of sorts:

When you board the Anesidora whose interior is based heavily on the Nostromo, there's limited lighting at first, then you see what looks like an Alien right in front of you...only for it to be just a part of the ships' equipment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Livo posted:

Spoilers for a fun sequence in Alien Isolation & a nice throwback of sorts:

When you board the Anesidora whose interior is based heavily on the Nostromo, there's limited lighting at first, then you see what looks like an Alien right in front of you...only for it to be just a part of the ships' equipment

Hah! Yes, I remember that now that you mention it.

I just about jumped out of my skin.

I also watched Alien last night. Unfortunately my small(er) town doesn’t show old films so it was at home, but it’s still an all-time top three film for me.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I read the first two issues of the Burke comic and I'm not wild about 2 aspects. The company 100% would have covered up the real events of lv 426 to the general public. And they are trying to give Burke any level compassion for others. He was an irredeemable remorseless piece of poo poo from the start. He sent the knowingly colonist there to get impregnated in the first place. I could buy the "saving my wife at any cost" aspect though.

deoju fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 28, 2024

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

redshirt posted:

What if? question: Could you save the mission to LV-426? If so, what would you have done differently? And try to be reasonable with hindsight.

Like, for me, I find it unconscionable that the ship in orbit was left so unmanned and unable to provide assistance to the ground forces.

It would have least allowed them to retreat without losing everyone.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Mission could’ve been a partial salvage if the dropship had stayed airborne, rather than landed and an alien got aboard. Bishop would’ve had all the time in the world to study the xenos, and WY probably would’ve gotten better data out of it before the descent into David-style madness

MarcusSA posted:

They could have just nuked it from orbit.

We're all forgetting that an egg and possibly two facehuggers appeared on the Sulaco completely inexplicably. The xenomorphs work in mysterious ways...

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Doctor Zero posted:

I recognized it too, but I started to doubt myself when it didn’t attack. I think it’s there for people to see or not. It does blend in pretty well with the equipment if you aren’t looking for it.

Same with the hive walls in Aliens.

Yeah the main takeaway with that scene is just about how well the creature blends into its surroundings. Some folks will be caught off guard, others might be like "isn't that the alien's head? ...or maybe not. OH poo poo" and still others will be all "hey the alien is right loving there, you better move your rear end, Sigourney Weaver! There, see? What'd I tell you!" And I don't think any of those is a more 'correct' reaction at all.

The post-self destruct scene with Ripley casually hitting switches in her undies has gone on for so long at that point that even first-timers watching in 1979 KNEW the creature was still alive and chilling in the shuttle somewhere, it was all about waiting for the other shoe to drop.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Mister Speaker posted:

Put on the Alien soundtrack at work today. It was fun watching customers get startled and bewildered by some of the big orchestral hits.

"The Droid" is my motherfuckin' jam!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e79OJP4-3gU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

deoju posted:

I read the first two issues of the Burke comic and I'm not wild about 2 aspects. The company 100% would have covered up the real events of lv 426 to the general public. And they are trying to give Burke any level compassion for others. He was an irredeemable remorseless piece of poo poo from the start. He sent the knowingly colonist there to get impregnated in the first place. I could buy the "saving my wife at any cost" aspect though.

lovely people often change their tune when they are affected personally.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

The post-self destruct scene with Ripley casually hitting switches in her undies has gone on for so long at that point that even first-timers watching in 1979 KNEW the creature was still alive and chilling in the shuttle somewhere, it was all about waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Yeah, that too. I was thinking, “okay why aren’t the credits rolling?” And also “I should probably be enjoying seeing an adult woman in a skimpy top and undies but I am way too terrified for that.” :lol:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mister Speaker posted:

Also, they need to make that RC face hugger into a real thing you can buy. I can think of so many people I'd freak out with it.

See, this sounds like a fun prank idea, but you spend hundreds of bucks on that thing, and one of your friends freaks out and absolutely destroys the robot in a panicky frenzy

Try to film it when it happens though!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

We're all forgetting that an egg and possibly two facehuggers appeared on the Sulaco completely inexplicably. The xenomorphs work in mysterious ways...

I really hated that story twist. It just doesn't make sense.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
The Sulaco was absolutely INFESTED with Bishop androids. Every time a Marine walked into a room there was a bishop crawling into the pipes, playing the knife game, or offering cornbread with a goofy grin. Burke just pre-programmed them to stick random alien poo poo to bulkheads when the dropship came back. Botta bing, botta boom, Alien 3!

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

redshirt posted:

I really hated that story twist. It just doesn't make sense.

Yeah, it always bugged me and was very lazy writing compared to the first and second movies. The queen was in a small compartment of the drop ship, then immediately chased people around for a few minutes in one room after stepping out into the Sulaco. It was observed by said people, Bishop, and the audience from the point it exited the dropship to the point it got flushed.

So either nobody bothered to check the tiny space it dropped out of in the dropship for a couple garbage bin sized eggs or this gigantic monster dunked eggs into the ceiling ducts with stage magician level slight of hand skills while chasing Newt.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I think I've asked this before but isn't there the sound of an egg opening at the very end of the credits in Aliens? I might have imagined it but I thought they always had that Easter egg sequel tease in there.

Rappaport posted:

See, this sounds like a fun prank idea, but you spend hundreds of bucks on that thing, and one of your friends freaks out and absolutely destroys the robot in a panicky frenzy

Try to film it when it happens though!

Yeah true. I'd even settle for some rubber facehugger models to just hide in cupboards and stuff so they fall on people like the dead one in the first movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

I think I've asked this before but isn't there the sound of an egg opening at the very end of the credits in Aliens? I might have imagined it but I thought they always had that Easter egg sequel tease in there.
Yes there is.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

i don’t think cameron was even thinking about a sequel at that point. the egg sound in the credits was probably the studio wanting to put a “james bond will return” in there.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I don’t know nothing about the movie business.

But I think we should discuss the bonus situation.

Brett and I, we think we oughta... we deserve full shares, right baby?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

MrMojok posted:

I don’t know nothing about the movie business.

But I think we should discuss the bonus situation.

Brett and I, we think we oughta... we deserve full shares, right baby?

Right.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Could a facehugger lay an egg in a T-800?

Would the alien be like a mechaxeno? Or would it be like a normal xeno with a fleshy skin sack covering on top of it?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

covidstomper58 posted:

Could a facehugger lay an egg in a T-800?

Would the alien be like a mechaxeno? Or would it be like a normal xeno with a fleshy skin sack covering on top of it?

The T-800 lacks internal organs or a chest cavity so I don’t think it would work.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah true. I'd even settle for some rubber facehugger models to just hide in cupboards and stuff so they fall on people like the dead one in the first movie.

The robot is absolutely horrifying, but this compromise would still be incredibly mean. Of course if you have access through friends or work, you could 3D-print something like that, even that preview image is extremely :ohdear: That particular model even has a kind of weird mouth for extra ick.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Rappaport posted:

The robot is absolutely horrifying, but this compromise would still be incredibly mean. Of course if you have access through friends or work, you could 3D-print something like that, even that preview image is extremely :ohdear: That particular model even has a kind of weird mouth for extra ick.

Jesus, you could print that in TPU (rubbery material) and .... *shudder*

Xenomrph posted:

The T-800 lacks internal organs or a chest cavity so I don’t think it would work.

That's true, but what if Skynet built a Xenomorph terminator, and covered it in fake Xeno flesh....

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Doctor Zero posted:

Jesus, you could print that in TPU (rubbery material) and .... *shudder*

That's true, but what if Skynet built a Xenomorph terminator, and covered it in fake Xeno flesh....

There’s a comic about that if I remember right (Aliens vs Predator vs Terminator).

It’s real fuckin’ bad, don’t read it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I dipped out of the thread to avoid romulus spoilers so apologies if this was posted:

https://twitter.com/HumanoidHistory/status/1783971134649573396/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1783971134649573396&currentTweetUser=HumanoidHistory

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol this is me!

Literally my Dad was 23-24 dragging my tiny rear end to R rated movies all the time....

EDIT: That is not actually me in the clip, just a representation of exactly my experience.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Thinking About Aliens (The Movie): Things like that could happen in life. That could be a true story.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Thinking About Aliens (The Movie): Things like that could happen in life. That could be a true story.

lol I like his open mind.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Space Jam posted:

i don’t think cameron was even thinking about a sequel at that point. the egg sound in the credits was probably the studio wanting to put a “james bond will return” in there.

Ripley will return in

Androids are Forever

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

redshirt posted:

lol this is me!

Literally my Dad was 23-24 dragging my tiny rear end to R rated movies all the time....

EDIT: That is not actually me in the clip, just a representation of exactly my experience.

Kid #1 knows what's up

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Ripley will return in

Androids are Forever

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol "would you recommend to your little friends to go see it?

Kid: Ummmm, errrr no I wouldn't

*500 yard stare

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Thanks for reminding me that the vents Dallas died in open & close that way.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Awesome! Now we need an Alien film from the xenomorphs' perspective where Ripley is petting Jonesy while telling a Praetorian xeno about her evil plan to destroy their hive ala Blofeld.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Close the Iris!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Peyote Panda posted:

Awesome! Now we need an Alien film from the xenomorphs' perspective where Ripley is petting Jonesy while telling a Praetorian xeno about her evil plan to destroy their hive ala Blofeld.

"Are you feeling claustrophobic, Mr. Morph? Then perhaps you'd like some more... Space."