Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I'll be sure to pirate this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yes! This!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've never actually seen it but I heard it was terrible.

Decent cast though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s also directed by Stuart Gordon (From Beyond, Re-Animator)

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Special sneak preview of the AVP animated movie:

https://twitter.com/SizzyBubbles/status/1777836779095400578

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Oh hey, I’m friends with that person.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

quote:

physical media is personalised, highly collectable and a limited run.

"Personalized" and "collectable" seem in conflict to me

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

"Personalized" and "collectable" seem in conflict to me

In what way? Genuinely asking.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Xenomrph posted:

In what way? Genuinely asking.

Like, a copy of Alien autographed by Sigourney Weaver has gotta be more sought after than ones made out to a specific person, right?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Like, a copy of Alien autographed by Sigourney Weaver has gotta be more sought after than ones made out to a specific person, right?

Well I mean sure, unless she signed it specifically for you, and you collect stuff signed for you.

As a collector buying stuff on the secondary market, yeah if you’re buying an autographed item then having it made out to someone else kinda ruins it, but if you’re the first-time buyer and have no intention of reselling it then I can see the appeal of collecting things personalized to you.

HAVING SAID THAT, the notion that the Aliens documentary is “collectible” is overselling it quite a bit.
As is calling it personalized, for that matter. It’s like Christoper Nolan buying DVDs of all his movies and saying they’re “personalized” because his name shows up in the credits.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

This movie was fairly serviceable and does exactly what you'd think it does. There's also a lot of shirtless Stephen Dorff, if one is so inclined.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I was excited for the Aliens documentary, but that $100 price point takes me right out of it. No amount of posters or whatever is going to make that okay.

e: oh, it’s David Weiner? I like him. Kinda surprised he’s pushing this price though.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 10, 2024

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MrMojok posted:

I was excited for the Aliens documentary, but that $100 price point takes me right out of it. No amount of posters or whatever is going to make that okay.

I just called them out on discord because the FPS documentary was $50 and the In Search of Darkness trilogy was $120 for all 3, and neither came with posters and other bullshit. If the Aliens one was $40-50 it would be a slam dunk.

Edit, response from the CEO:

quote:

As creators we want to hang out with our backers on here, not constantly having to defend our value

Support related posts or complaints will be deleted and repeat offenders will be banned. It's just the wrong vibe

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 10, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fleecing is a time honored tradition

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Goddammit, now my Instagram keeps having that doc in my feed or whatever the gently caress all the pictures are called.

Just for my own curiosity I looked at the pledge levels and it just gives me a gut feeling like it is some kind of scam. The upper levels just being different levels of IMDB credit really sets that feeling off. Surprised there is a digital level, that is tempting, but I don't want to buy just on principle.

That 'graphical 'scanner'' part also feels like some bullshit. Unless they do a deep dive on the hamster habitat, who are the true heroes of the story.

LOL at not being able to get Sigourney in on it. Two of the features are about people that aren't involved, for various reasons. Great job, no notes.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I don't know, we could gather around, build a fire....

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Aliens, What If #2 came out.

Burke has got his egg! It took 35 years but he has it.

But what does he want to do with it? Revenge? No, he wants to use it to save his wife. She's been kept frozen due to a medical condition. That's what this whole egg business is about, he believes he can use the aliens ability to over write genetic sequences to heal her. That's going to go well, right? I'm sure, what could go wrong with a guy like Burke in charge?

First, he needs someone to go through that whole pesky impregnation thing. Hey he's the boss on this rock, how hard can it be?

The initial victim? It's the stapler guy from the office movie! He gets told he’s being promoted! Tearfully he tells Burke how thankful he is, his family just had a baby! A BABY. Well, poo poo. Try someone else.

Gloria! Everyone hates her! She’s the perfect choice and she’s crying. She’s crying. Her mothers sick. She needs a few weeks off to take care of her. gently caress. Fine. Alright. Someone else.

Next victim is transferring off this lousy rock, it’s his last week, everyones going out for drinks. Burke can come. God damnit.

Phyllis then! She’s old, who can miss her? Awww she gives Burke a “Best Boss” mug and says all the poo poo he went through wasn’t his fault. Smile.

Alright then use that twerp in the basement, Tom annnnnnnnnnnd he left two weeks ago…………

Thankfully the solution presents itself when a senior director of human capital walks in. There’s been complaints. H.R. complaints. Many complaints. The majority of them from Brie Burke. Yeah, Burke’s own daughter.
They knock him out, carry him out of the room to the lab while everyone in office is enjoying a birthday! There’s cake!

First, holy poo poo what a fun issue. The back and forth between characters is great. Burke and Cygnus (the synth who went and got the egg) is so drat good, ones a slimy two-bit manager and the other is a fixed-up bot of death who knows this is all stupid but what is he going to do about it. Love his reactions.

We see the remainas of several Aliens that Cygnus located when he talks about trying to find an egg. He went to several worlds, one had the remains of an Alien Whale, another an Alien centipede, an Alien bat and he even found the Alien dog remains from Alien 3! Nothing alive and no eggs. Until he finds another crashed alien ship like the original on some frozen world.

Burke kept a souvenir from the Sulaco, a M41A pulse rifle. Belonged to a lieutenant, some Ellen woman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So Burke is Mr. Freeze?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I just called them out on discord because the FPS documentary was $50 and the In Search of Darkness trilogy was $120 for all 3, and neither came with posters and other bullshit. If the Aliens one was $40-50 it would be a slam dunk.

Yeah, nah, they can gently caress off.

"no bad vibes." Piss off.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

ImpAtom posted:

So Burke is Mr. Freeze?

Remember how people sleep during trips in the movies? They wake up from the pods, same thing. In this case they keep them suspended, she doesn't appear to have aged in the 35 years.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Xenomrph wqs this actually David Weiner you were talking to in the discord?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MrMojok posted:

Xenomrph wqs this actually David Weiner you were talking to in the discord?

Robin Block, CreatorVC CEO

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

That's a really lovely reaction. Collectibility, fan value, you'll just miss out, etc. etc. :jerkbag:

All he had to do was say "Yeah, we know, but because of REASONS, the production costs are higher on this one and we don't have another disc to spread the cost out so..." and left it at that.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Robin Block, CreatorVC CEO

You'd get it if you were a real superfan, Xenomrph

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I makes me sad to imagine the kind of person who would take pride in a bullshit IMDB credit they bought.

Infinitely more respect from me for someone making a no budget short in their garage.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't think I would ever give money to a company with VC right in the name.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't think I would ever give money to a company with VC right in the name.

JVC used to be alright.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

i'm a little too young for it but i would have donated to the vietcong

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Owlbear Camus posted:

i'm a little too young for it but i would have donated to the vietcong

Vietnam still pretty legit,

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vietnam-property-tycoon-truong-my-lan-death-sentence-fraud-embezzelment/

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Bringing it back to Aliens, I unsubtly make the UPP the (relative) good guys when they come up in my RPG sessions. A Vietnamese squad leader who had the rest of her team killed off by a Predator was an important NPC in one of my sessions who helped the PCs out.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

tactlessbastard posted:

You'd get it if you were a real superfan, Xenomrph

I posted it to the Aliens subreddit and it really popped off lmao

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

This is our generation's LV-426

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Owlbear Camus posted:

Bringing it back to Aliens, I unsubtly make the UPP the (relative) good guys when they come up in my RPG sessions. A Vietnamese squad leader who had the rest of her team killed off by a Predator was an important NPC in one of my sessions who helped the PCs out.

That's a good NPC.

Also I'm seeing UPP and thinking of Traveller's Universal Planetary Profiles and hex maps of whole sectors.

https://travellermap.com/?p=14.068!-108.252!7.45

Zoom out, it's cool.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fuckin' Spunkmeyer

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah, I'm digging that the new comic has a gorgeously illustrated story about them, even if everything goes as predictably as anything else that has a bunch of Big Chaps involved.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

There's been some duds, but I like how Disney has handled the aliens and predator comics so far.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Lol, get hosed

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

redshirt posted:

Fuckin' Spunkmeyer

WEIRZBOWSKI!!!!!!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Owlbear Camus posted:

Same. My PCs work for The Company as hired muscle against ecoterrorists backed by the UPP.

I'm fairly sure that in another session or two they're going to say "screw the company, the ecoterrorists are right" and do something drastic.

I can't wait.

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, I'm digging that the new comic has a gorgeously illustrated story about them, even if everything goes as predictably as anything else that has a bunch of Big Chaps involved.

Ooh, which comic is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marvel-valiant-idw-comics-artist-jeffrey-veregge-dies-aged-50/

Jeffrey Verrege passed away. He did some really amazing art for Sci-fi stuff blended with his coast Salish art, including Alien (Which I have an amazing print of).

He was good friends with a close friend of mine, which is how I got to know if his works. There's a lot of really cool stuff in his collections, and you guys should check them out.

https://www.jeffreyveregge.com/latest-works