Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Please post more delightful photos of goats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an expert
Jul 18, 2011

Hi I'm also a goater, and soon will have another or possibly 2 more! As in, I have a doe who is prob gonna kid in the next couple days. Maybe today!

Here's all our nigerian dwarf babies this year:

The "big" black and white one is Flipcup, who is actually last year's kid. He was born huge and overbaked to a young mom (the brown doe in the background) who wasn't supposed to be pregnant when we got her, so he was a bit socially stunted. He was shocked to learn that people could be more baby than him this spring:

The other babies in that pic have gone to their new home along with their moms. Flipcup remains, he's my gimmick goat and forever baby. Well, one of them, the other is Wes, a from-a-fancy-breeder wether who is deaf from chronic ear infections and braindamaged from improper disbudding. He's incredibly stupid and incredibly sweet, just the most earnest lovebug. Flipcup's mom, Ginger, immediately decided he is her son even though he was tall enough for her to walk beneath.

I also have a buck named Bellow. Mostly lamancha but with a nubian grandma which means he's polled and I am so hopeful that it passes onto his kids.

My first baby goat tho, was Albee. Got her as a bottle baby along with her mom, Cordelia, who passed away after a few months. Albee looks just like her. Wes and Flipcup are baby but Albee is my goatdaughter. Last week, she blessed me with my goatgrandson. Named him Bernie cos it was president's day. He's got his a chocolate sundgau like his mom, but roan like his dad (who was delicious).

Here's a group shot of everyone: Albee under the hay rack, Bernie under her. Bellow in front center. Wes by Bellow's butt. Last goat is Lillith, who is tough to get pictures of cause she aint got time for my bullshit, and who is gonna have a kid by Bellow very soon.

And finally, closeup of Bernie sleeping. He'd been suckling Bellow's fur in his sleep.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

hi pal!

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

an expert posted:

Flipcup
Bellow
Albee
lol I thought maybe Flipcup was just a coincidence but now I see that you are a person of culture

Cute-rear end goats!

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Hell yeah bring on more baby goats!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

sometimes i just can't handle how good and cute this thread can be.

Celestriad
Dec 2, 2013

B A B Y G O A T S

Well this was a .... fun ... kidding. So we induced Erin to kid, which meant that we knew the exact timeframe kids could come (32-36 hours after the shots). Nothing happened and nothing happened, and at 36 hours on the nose I knew there was something wrong and it was time to go in. So I lubed up, my wife held Erin down with all her might, and I reached in. Sure enough, there was a kid in the worst possible position. Normal kids/lambs come out like this:

====< -||>==( ) / \
legs head body back legs

This little guy was sitting like this:
. < -||> Head
..... \\ neck
. ==( )== front leg sideways / chest / front leg other direction sideways

His chest was trying to come first, and not giving Erin the signal that a kid was there. So he was a roadblock, positioned so he physically could not come out, and could not give her the signals that she was in labor so she could tell me.

I had to 1) pull the legs forward into the correct position, one at a time. 2) try to pull the kid out. 3) realize that his head was up and back in the dreaded "head back position", one that has cost a lot of dams and kids their lives because it's so drat difficult to fix in the confines of the womb. 4) freak out for a moment, talk myself through it. 5) Push the kid back in the womb a little bit to give me room. 6) pull his head down and line it up with the cervix. 7) hold both front legs with my free hand outside of the womb. 8) pull kid out while holding head in place and pulling front legs.
All the while, Erin is screaming bloody murder and my wife is doing all she can to hold down a goat that outweighs her by a lot.

Thankfully, the rest of the births went very smoothly. Everyone was stressed because of being held in place by the roadblock kid, and all of them had pooped in their birthing sac, so they were dirty dirty kids. Erin is being an excellent mom, although the stress has affected her milk and so I'm supplementing them with milk/co-parenting.

So enough talk, here they are.

Group shot, as you can see they're quite little, mom's head is only a little smaller than a whole kid.

Here's our little roadblock buck. I thought for sure he would be dead, and he did have a bit of a rough start breathing. He also has contracted tendons so he can't stand up straight. We're doing physical therapy on him and he's responding well.

This little buck is clearly Flag's mini-me.

This little buck is clearly Erin's opposite sex clone, and was so wiggly I had to physically restrain him for the photo.

And finally, a super cute and super sweet little GIRL! Plus bonus doting mama.

And since I am co-parenting, that means that baby goats are constantly attempting to eat me at all times.

Celestriad fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 5, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yay baby goats

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Good luck on your little ones! I love baby goats.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I love your kids. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So you're naming the trouble buck Roadblock, right?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
This is one of my favorite threads on the forums. :)

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Good work saving kids and dam on that one. They're super cute and I hope they all recover just fine. :kimchi:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've been reading this guy's articles lately and have found them quite interesting. I'm sure the actual sheep/goat farmers ITT already know pretty much everything he covers, but it's good stuff regardless: https://www.whitecloversheepfarm.com/prl-articles.htm

He does videos too... I find the "head gate" a less disgusting method for lamb adoption than the old "dead lamb cloak" technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aCTHfOgcf8

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've been reading this guy's articles lately and have found them quite interesting. I'm sure the actual sheep/goat farmers ITT already know pretty much everything he covers, but it's good stuff regardless: https://www.whitecloversheepfarm.com/prl-articles.htm

He does videos too... I find the "head gate" a less disgusting method for lamb adoption than the old "dead lamb cloak" technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aCTHfOgcf8

Head gates are less disgusting but I find them less effective and take a lot longer. It took me almost a week with a ewe in something similar to get her to accept a lamb and even then she still knew it wasn't hers, she just gave up fighting me. My sheep are smarter than your average sheep though, so maybe it works faster with commercial type sheep?

Skins are still the most effective if you've got a ewe with a dead lamb, otherwise gooping up a bummer lamb with birthing fluids when you have another ewe lambing with a single within about 3 days can sometimes work well. A ewe I can just give a lamb to without any theatrics is worth her weight in gold.

If it's a ewe rejecting a twin, I put both lambs in a little dog crate together and allow only supervised visitation. They usually learn pretty quickly they only get their favorite lamb if they take both if you don't allow her to separate them and push away the one she doesn't like. Also, that way the lambs bond together and the rejected one knows to stick with its sibling and dart in to nurse when they do.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Sad news, spoiled for folks not wanting sad news:
Mariposa started the year off bad with stillborn twins yesterday. They looked perfectly fine and full term, just not alive. She's very sad about, I'm very sad about it. I'm hoping someone will have twins or triplets so I can steal one and "resurrect" a baby for her.

Good news:
Pansy finally gave me a girl! She turning 11 this month so this was a last ditch effort to get a replacement ewe out of her since she's had nothing but rams since I got her. Thankfully she finally listened! Her last lambs have all been lilac and this one is just a carrier but beggars can't be choosers. She'll be retired now. Forgive the potato pictures, dark barns and wobbly new legs make for some blur. I love the little knee patches :3:

I'm leaning towards daylily varieties for names this year and if so she'll be Purdy. Won't decide on a theme for sure until I get some more on the ground.

Celestriad
Dec 2, 2013

Well this has been an exciting year for kidding. We just sat down for lunch when we heard Andromeda go into labor.

We went out and got her and she kidded #1 without issue. My wife went back inside and thought to check on Amber; she was licking a dried-off, standing doeling. Well okay then, both are going together. Drug Amber over to join Andromeda in the kidding stall and had to assist Andromeda by rearranging kid #2 who was stuck backwards with one leg presenting only. Cue Amber's #2 kid. Few minutes later, Andromeda gave us #3. Both moms decided to adopt all kids and are busy co-parenting. Phenomenal job for both moms, especially Amber being a first timer. All 5 are girls!

The herd(minus one kid hard at work)

Proud Andromeda

Proud Amber w/ co-parent

Andromeda #1(hungry)

Andromeda #2(hard at work)

Andromeda #3

Amber #1(Ctrl + C)

Amber #2(Ctrl + V)

Loving the cool highlights on Amber's kids, and this moonspotted doe might be the most gorgeous doe we've had yet.

Also, Erin's first will officially be called Roadblock.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Celestriad posted:

Also, Erin's first will officially be called Roadblock.

:peanut:

Is there any downside or issues to both Mom Goats trying to adopt All The Babies rather than just their own? Or does it mean they'll generally get on fine rearing the kids together?

Celestriad
Dec 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:peanut:

Is there any downside or issues to both Mom Goats trying to adopt All The Babies rather than just their own? Or does it mean they'll generally get on fine rearing the kids together?

Actually, it's probably better for the kids in the long run. Each doe has her own gut flora which is passed to the kids when they lick them at birth. Each doe also has her own unique mix of antibodies that pass to the kids in their first milk, called colostrum. Babies' intestines are able to absorb the antibodies in colostrum for only about the first 24 hours, and then it stops being effective. These kids are exposed to the gut flora and colostrum of two different does, which means that they're going to be twice as well protected as regular kids who only have one mom.

We will have to pull babies in a few days because we do milk test which measures ALL the milk and nursing kids obviously don't allow us to do that, and we usually sell kids as bottle babies. We're a married lesbian couple, so the kids will go from having 2 goat moms to having 2 human moms. Win/win?

Celestriad
Dec 2, 2013

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Pansy finally gave me a girl! She turning 11 this month so this was a last ditch effort to get a replacement ewe out of her since she's had nothing but rams since I got her. Thankfully she finally listened!

Huzzah! I have only been waiting on this breeding for 3 years, not 11, so I can't say I know your pain but I can appreciate it! Good ewe, Pansy!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Are Amber and Andromeda related? I had two ewes co-parent three lambs (twins for one, single for the other, all girls too!) and they were a really closely bonded mother and daughter. It was really sweet, they're still inseparable. The mother, Jewel, wasn't doing well earlier this winter so I separated her out for some extra TLC but she just didn't seem to want to eat until I went and grabbed her daughter Clementine. She recovered well and they're both complete terrors in the old grandma pen now.

Celestriad
Dec 2, 2013

They're technically related; Andromeda's mom is Amber's half-sister, but they're the same age and raised together since Amber was brought home at a month old. They're best friends and do everything together, but I didn't really expect that to extend to kidding and raising them jointly.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Are you keeping the moonspotted (great word) doe?

Celestriad
Dec 2, 2013

We've already retained Nebula, another moonspotted doe from that pairing. This little girl is prettier than her, but she has better conformation, and she's a sweet snuggly girl.

Fun fact about moonspots: They start dark and lighten over time until they're pure white.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

Celestriad posted:

Andromeda #2(hard at work)

Well this had me cackling. Way to go lil gorgeous baby. As a past iteration of this thread once said, being born is hard!

Celestriad
Dec 2, 2013

It doesn't normally get cold here at this time of year; however, it's going well below freezing and baby goats are skin and bones with no wool coat.

So, in order to keep everyone warm through this cold snap, we brought them all into the house.

Please send your thoughts, prayers, and puppy pads.

Also: physical therapy is effective-- He's not 100%, but Roadblock is doing better with the whole standing thing.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Apparently the middle of the night when its 25 degrees out is the best time to have a baby.

Aphrodite had a single ewe lamb on her 11th birthday. Hopefully she wished for a baby for her birthday. Aphrodite was another one I was just hoping to get a ewe out of before she retired so thank you for being cooperative!

Then at 3 am Daphne also had a single ewe lamb.

She's super cute :kimchi: People need to start having boys so I'm not tempted to keep them.

Scout has been hard at work making sure all the lambs get sufficient kissums

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I love their mommy noises :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjI5QhKJaLI

This is Wildfire and her big giant 4 horned ram lamb. I'm glad someone had their lamb during daylight hours.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Some drat fine sheeps and goaties on these pages, drat fine.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sheep babies :neckbeard:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Dang they are all so cute. Also those goats are all ears aaaa :kimchi:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Double post. So glad you're getting the ewes you wished for IJ.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Aphrodite had a single ewe lamb on her 11th birthday. Hopefully she wished for a baby for her birthday. Aphrodite was another one I was just hoping to get a ewe out of before she retired so thank you for being cooperative!

Aphrodite II seems like a fit for her. Same birthday and all that.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's superlamb!

Two more ewes lambed yesterday, a busy day.

Keepsake had a big ram

Indigo had a ewe

We're about halfway done and I'm very tired!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

spring is the best season and all of these births just kick things off in the best way each year. Thank you to those of you that have been sharing, this is so heart warming and good!

Celestriad
Dec 2, 2013

Our meat mutt sheep, Beep Beep, surprised us with twin lambs on St. Patrick's Day! The weather promptly proceeded to be cold and miserable and crappy for the weekend, so it took us a moment to get pics. One ewe, one ram. She's an excellent mama, and Flag is a great surrogate dad to them.

Little redheaded ewe:

White ram with mascara (hard to see--Beep Beep was very interested in the camera and we had a hard time with photos):

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING PHOTO CONTAINS NEAR-LETHAL LEVELS OF CUTE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Not a lamb but.... omglookit that milk mustache gaaaaaaaaah

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Celestriad posted:

Our meat mutt sheep, Beep Beep, surprised us with twin lambs on St. Patrick's Day! The weather promptly proceeded to be cold and miserable and crappy for the weekend, so it took us a moment to get pics. One ewe, one ram. She's an excellent mama, and Flag is a great surrogate dad to them.

Little redheaded ewe:

White ram with mascara (hard to see--Beep Beep was very interested in the camera and we had a hard time with photos):

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING PHOTO CONTAINS NEAR-LETHAL LEVELS OF CUTE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Not a lamb but.... omglookit that milk mustache gaaaaaaaaah

I was weak of constitution, so now i am dead.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Bad phone pics from my dark barn because it's been a weird spring and they're all still inside but here's all of this year's lambs.

Pixie 2 horned ewe Pansy x Souvenir *staying

Roulette 4 horned ewe Aphrodite x Souvenir

Phaedra aka Super Lamb 4 horned ewe Daphne x Souvenir

Wildside 4 horned ram Wildfire x Souvenir

Kingpin 4 horned ram Keepsake x Serendipity

Inka 4 horned ewe Indigo x Souvenir

Rocket 2 horned ram Pennyroyal x Isadore

Ricochet 4 horned ram Pennyroyal x Isadore *staying

Daredevil 4 horned ram Dulcet x Serendipity

Jocasta 2 horned ewe Pistachio x Isadore *staying

Juggernaut 4 horned ram Sassafras x Serendipity

Justice 2 horned ram Holly x Serendipity

StarLord 2 horned ram Woodrose x Isadore

Wave 4 (maybe) horned ewe Waltz x Serendipity

Whiplash 4 horned lilac ram Waltz x Serendipity *staying

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I love how posed they all look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Ricochet is staying and I choose to believe he is named due to the inability to see a fence or a wall and not use it for momentum.