Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Yesss I love your threads. Gotta see all the good girls and their little ones :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Fresh potatoes and potatoes on stilts! Hope the rest go smoothly.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Shame about Garth, but I sympathize and would personally avoid that ancestor's genetics like the plague after what you've seen. I'm glad Daisy's ewe looks good and healthy, but do you put a warning flag on her due to the possibility of having OCD in her line? Is that something that can be bred out over time, or does it end in culling (or simply not breeding the survivors)?

Mutton is delicious and I hope the two Fuckers enjoy their last season(s) before serving Abdullah's fine meal on a very, very personal level. Who are the fuckers, anyway? I'm curious to know what level of dickery qualifies for "eh, rams" and what level is freezer camp.

As someone who is interested in animal husbandry on a somewhat casual level, do you keep charts of the lines in order to keep everything squared away and documented? I'm guessing you are in good contact with the breeders of the animals you purchase, do you talk to them about your findings? How do they respond? I would like to think that they don't take the genetic fuckups that happen under their watch on a personal level and try to prevent them from happening in the future/continuing that line, but in my experience in seeing poorly bred animals this isn't as common as I'd like it to be. I hope there's another, healthier line available for you to get good rams from, as I think you have endured more than your fair share of scientific discoveries with your lambs.

Also, did you get tired of dealing with Goats? Not that I mind baby sheep everywhere, but I still have a hearty chuckle about Heath and his dating difficulties once in a while.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Yessss thank you for the reply and the massive photo update. I love the sass Aster's ram seems to have - try not to grow up to be a jerk, dude.

Hah, any chance you can get one last shave from those rams before they depart? Shame about the fighting, but you're right that's not acceptable, especially if you keep them around for breeding purposes.

RIP Dido, you managed to not die from getting your head stuck somewhere.

Hope all these little ones grow up big and strong. Thanks so much for a peek behind the curtain - I appreciate it, even if I am not in a position to study/practice animal husbandry myself.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

How are you not spending every waking moment with these adorable sweeties? I'd die.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Yesss curly little kids :kimchi:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Been having a really hard time mentally, so I wanted to say I appreciate you and your critters.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Oh no, let me help more then.

Take care of yourselves, friends :glomp:

Dawww, thank you :kimchi: that was an exceptional few posts to come home to.

Mina and Major are at least good at pretending to be buds now. Hooray!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I love her. She cannot contain herself.

I also know she's probably a pain in the rear end to own because of that. I appreciate you from afar, impatient sheep.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Congratulations! You've been working your rear end off so I'm really happy that you and your critters are getting recognized!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Super cool story, very majestic, 10/10 would pet.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I'm just glad Hawthorn is okay. Sad about his horn, but I'm glad he's survived that.

So I have to ask, how the hell does something like that come off? I was under the impression that only happened if they got stuck in a fence or something.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Good luck at the show! I'm hoping the judge may have had his heart grow three sizes since last year, because your sheep continue to be wonderful.

Edit: I didn't ask initially because I figure you have better things to worry about on your trip, but when you get back, how's Hawthorn holding up? Hopefully the imbalance from his horns doesn't bother him too much. Do sheep feel shame? I'm guessing not, but is he bothered by the horn being gone at all or is it just the new normal for him now?

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 24, 2019

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Recently we had a little oopsie involving the gate to the ram pasture not being latched properly. Got home from dropping the kitten I found off at a rescue and thought it was weird that I couldn't see any of my ewes in the pasture. Went to let the dog out and it turns out I couldn't see them because they were all in the rams' pasture. I must not have latched the gate properly after feeding hay and it blew open. Luckily it was surprisingly easy to sort everyone out and most of the ewes should have been a couple weeks bred already. Of course this happened the day any ewes that hadn't been bred when they were supposed to would have been cycling again though and they were in with all of my (many) rams.

What I decided to do was to run blood pregnancy tests on everyone who is supposed to be bred already 30 days after they were originally supposed to have been bred. Anyone who came up open or with low pregnancy hormone levels got bred during the free for all and will get a dose of sheep morning after pill, along with any of the old grandmas and young ladies who were not supposed to be bred at all. That meant I had 20 sheep to draw blood on, so I invited anyone who wanted to learn to come out last weekend and give it a try. We pulled blood on everyone in less than 2 hours and everyone who showed up managed to get blood at least once. I was super proud of them, especially since I think they all had needle phobias.

Just a box full of sheep blood, totally normal mail sent out on Monday.

Results got in today.

Only 4 that need dealing with! Truffle is a goat, I just wanted to make sure her son didn't breed her before he was weaned. Petitfour got her dose and got shoved in with Punch and the new cormo ewes that are still in quarantine. I need to figure out what I'm doing with Maddie and the two romeldales. I might just not breed them this year as we're getting late in the season and setting up new breeding groups is going to be a big fiasco. I've got 22 other ewes lambing, I think I'll have plenty of lambs even without them.

That's super cool that you turned it into a learning experience! I know I always had trouble with restraining animals for a blood pull when I worked at the vet clinic. Part of that is because I am short (hard to restrain something that's taller than you due to the table or you can't wrap your arms around) but part of that is because I didn't really get much practice.

I'm guessing those red marks on the test were an edit from you just to highlight who needed attention?

Anyway, all I can think of with the latch is how pet birds sometimes learn to unlatch their own cage so you have to put a lock on it to prevent them from doing stupid poo poo while you aren't home. Clearly this is just the sheep version of that - someone learned how to open the gate with their horns and now you need zipties or something.

As much as it seems like a fun joke, is that even possible? Have you heard of sheep or goats that get that clever?

Also, Happy Thanksgiving!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I always love an update to this thread. Sorry Major is having a bit of an internal crisis.

It was briefly mentioned, but how do you flesh your hides? I had the chance to flesh my first hide this year (deer) and although I technically managed it it was...kinda a lovely job. Blade kept jumping, didn't stretch it right on the fleshing pole, etc. I know practice makes perfect but got any advice? I love using everything I can from what I hunt so this is a skill I'm trying to develop. I also have trouble tanning in an apartment, so how do you determine who to pick for tanning services?

Edit: For clarification on the tanning services, I've tried a taxidermist who hand-tanned my first deer hide for me. Although he did an excellent job it's not as pliable as I'd like it to be, since I wanted to throw it on my bed every fall. It's good for a decoration piece but I wanted something a little more flexible.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 22, 2020

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I use a pressure washer to flesh hides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFwIBge4A78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPUjKWwhXpk

It's a real mess and you end up soaked/disgusting but it works faster and easier than anything else. Use a turbo nozzle and be careful around holes or cuts but once you've got the hang of it they really go fast. Cleaning up the sheep blorps all over my yard afterwards probably takes the longest. Also it's weirdly satisfying. Eye protection is a must though.

For tanning I asked everyone else who they use for washable pelts and they all either said Bucks in PA or Sterns in WI. I used Bucks first because it was closer but I didn't love the product (the leather was yellow and sort of greasy) and the owner was kind of snotty to my mom on the phone when she had a question so we switched to Sterns. They send back gorgeous chrome tanned washable pelts. The leather is very soft and white and the fur side is nicely combed. I'm not trying to plug my store but getting the pictures off etsy and onto imgur is a pain so you can see an example of a finished sheep pelt here. When I'm at shows and see people selling hides I can tell on sight whether they used bucks or sterns. Sterns just has a nicer looking product imo.

I would have never thought of using a pressure washer. That's perfect. Can't wait to have deer chunks scattered across my friend's yard that I need to pick up before the coons find them.

And thank you, I have definitely seen the greasy, yellow hides you are talking about and that looks much much nicer. Thanks for the example and I'll definitely keep your shop in mind now that I'm learning how to knit. Just gotta learn how to do something that isn't a scarf.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I rinse both sides with a low pressure nozzle afterwards. Toss them in the washer to run them through a few spin cycles and get some of the water out and they're ready to salt. I give my meat customers $5 back if they give me the pelt back in usable condition after slaughter (I sell almost exclusively to a guy who slaughters his own) and a couple other farms sell me their pelts for the same price so they don't go to waste. I also have a few friends who have me send in their pelts with mine so we get the bulk discount and can split shipping. I've got 10 at Sterns right now and these 6 will go as soon as they're fully dry. I'm really hoping the viking fest people want to buy some pelts!

The fleshing beam I was using is honestly just a big PVC pipe nailed between two boards. That's a pretty cool deal and I hope you sell all of them!

drrockso20 posted:

Let the coons have their snack:randvince:

While I'm sure my friend's kids would love the sudden surge of trash bears I don't think they'd enjoy the mess a horde of them would bring.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

It's hard being a newborn lamb. :kimchi:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Plant theme is good.

Do you have a list of the names you've used already in the plant theme so we don't just keep suggesting some you've already used?

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Mmmm it's a good end-of-world position to be in. Warm and fed, with some low-level entertainment (knitting/crochet).

Some names of local plants that I enjoy, that you might be interested in sometime. Not sure how many would make for good names?
Buckeye, Buckwheat, Cedar, Checkerbloom, Cholla, Clover, Dodder, Fiddleneck, Foxtail, Gentian, Ginger, Godetia, Goldenrod, Hazel, Juniper, Manzanita, Milkweed, Mugwort, Nightshade, Oak, Peony, Poppy, Primrose, Sequoia, Sunflower, Thistle, Willow, Yew, Yucca

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 17, 2020

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Daisy please let them walk free. You'll feel much better, too.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I love that Pacific has a pair of white pants.

Good luck with the pasture management! I'm sure it'd be harder with goats but I'm sure sheep get up to enough trouble. Hopefully they stay out of it!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I love your animals and your posts and if I wasn't poor suburb scum with no farm experience I'd say I'd be convinced to try to raise a handful of Jacob's.

So I will live vicariously through you and your adorable critters.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

RIP all those wonderful ladies. You're a good person for taking care of these sheep and doing everything you can for them. Although the news is sad I appreciate the update. :sympathy:

I hope the rest of your critters make it through the winter in good health, even if they complain a lot.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Oh! The other exciting sheep news is that I'm now the director for my region in the Jacob Sheep Breeders Association. If you're in the midwest and interested in registered jacob sheep I'm now officially the person to talk to.

Congratulations! That's awesome! I know it's a little ways to go but I hope everyone safely delivers some healthy little lambs. I am sure with a great amount of supervision from the dogs everything will be fine.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Thanks for taking care of good boy Twofer, especially up through the end. I'm so sorry.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Yesssss so excited. Good luck to you and all the ladies and littles. Hope things go as smoothly as they can.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

C'mon little guy, you can do it! You've got a bunch of weird apes from all over the place cheering you on.

Having a good giggle at "dog stuff'. At what point do you think he'll be stable enough to downgrade out of the luxury suite? You mentioned the days that premature lambs seem to turn the corner health-wise and have better odds, so is there a good time amount that the early birds tend to 'catch up' if they are going to thrive? Or do you just go by weight/activity?

Hope his airways clear up and he's just having a case of the "aaa it's cold and so my nose and throat is snuffly"s

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Biscuit can take comfort in knowing that he is slightly warmer right now and has this new, funny-smelling coat and a family!

Not gonna knock it if it works. Sorry you lost the other little guy.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Happy Belated Birthday Major! Good job Wendigo!

Welcome to the world littles, and good luck to the rest of them. I'm sure you have a very busy couple of days coming up.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

So Mr. Rainbow Wrap is now Sherbet or something similar, right?

Edit: Wanderer is a good name! Especially since it got him into a pickle. Hopefully he heals up alright.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 12, 2021

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I can't handle those ears :allears:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

All the excitement wore her out.

To be quite fair if I had a family member who was all "oh no I have to bring this cute little lamb with me to the get together" they would be the single most popular member of the family.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Yes, I keep bottle lambs in the barn as much as possible so they learn to sheep. I've got two more ewes due to lamb in a few days so when they pop I'll introduce her to those lambs. Right now the other lambs are much bigger than her and she's kind of delicate so she's in a separate pen where she can see them but not interact unsupervised. I think it's important for sheep to know how to be happy with their own kind, even if their mom sucks.

Good advice for any species IMO.

Do you notice any difference in behavior with bottle lambs once they are grown up? It sounds like you've done this before, so I am sure you have some sheep somewhere who are socially happy with their own kind but also acted a little different towards people? Are they more affectionate/beg for more food because of the association, do they lean hard into their new sheep life or nothin?

Edit: Thanks! That's really heartening to know, that they thrived so much that you had a hard time finding them unless they sought you out. Very cool!

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 6, 2021

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Excellent timing for bumping this up because today I put breeding groups together today! Expect a bunch of spotty lambs in 150-ish days. I’m only breeding the Jacobs this year but I am breeding like 17 of them so there should be lots of spots.

I’ve been super busy showing and competing with my little dog but I’ll try to get some pictures of the creatures soon.

Beep is now happily in a home with a couple other bottle babies and some homeschool kids that are crazy about them :kimchi:

Happy for Beep and happy to hear that you've been hopefully having fun. Can't wait to see some spotty littles.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Good sheep, cute couple, hope things go as well and smoothly as possible!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Yep! Just like his daddy, Ashe.

There are a handful of polycerate sheep breeds (and a goat breed) that have a genetic trait giving males and females 4 or more horns. Mine are jacobs which are the most common polycerate sheep breed. Four horns is dominant to two horns so it's pretty easy to breed for.

That's so cool, I had no idea about the stripes!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Hope he left a good legacy and maybe his offspring will have a braincell or two more than he.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Got them in a warming box with a hairdryer going right away and in an hour or so they were up to temp and strong enough to be tube fed.

Oh, they're all boys of course because this year is a sausage party. 7 ewes left to go!

Those lambs are lucky you were around. Adorable little ones as usual, I hope most of the drama is out of the way and the rest go smoothly.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 14, 2022