Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm just over here smirking at your sheep and going "wow guys who's not weaning in March"

This will bite me in the rear end here at hairy and hornless come next year when everyone has them in april and I'm weaning in june and screaming.

(I'm glad you got bouncy beeb though man)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Instant Jellyfish posted:

If I lived in America's taint I'd lamb in January too :colbert:

:colbert: Who even has choices on where they live I mean :lol:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You've spent years making fantastic sheep, dude. You deserve it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

she doesn't?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

All my doors are latched on both sides and have a puppy x pen surrounding them because she knows how to open doors several different ways. She is the most fiendishly clever animal on the farm and I have a cattle dog mix. I don't know what I will ever do without her screaming demands at me constantly.

omg you have a cattle dog mix? I love collies. can we see her?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

There's a reason all of my gates and stuff have latches or locks that require keys and/or thumbs.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't know why or how, but I swear this is a prelude to surprise puppies.

Instant Jellyfish is a very, very good and responsible person when it comes to her dogs (all her critters but that's beside the point) and that isn't happening. I fully support her reasoning not to pediatric spay a bitch who will rely on her joints and bones for protection purposes for at least a decade to come.

Cythereal posted:

Is there any reason you're not spaying Mina?

There are studies currently happening that have findings regarding higher incidences of bone cancer, ACL issues, and so forth in giant breeds that have pediatric spays. Given the long-term impact of pediatric spay in giant dogs, this isn't terribly surprising. A lot of vets are becoming aware of it, too.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

You're making me worried, my pooch was neutered when he was under a year old. He's a fifty pound mutt (maaaybe GSD/husky mix) and I love him and need his bones to be okay.

On the other hand he loves to hump so it's very very good he doesn't have anything to make puppies with.

e: to clarify as of this post he is three years old and perfectly healthy. He recently expressed his anal glands all on his own because a vet was trying to trim his claws and he hated that.

50 pounds is a long way from giant breed. While it's possible he may have some issues, the likelihood is pretty low.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mizuti posted:

This isn't the happiest subject, but I'm wildly curious. Is it common for people to not seek help soon after it's obvious that something has gone haywire with their animal's birthing process? The case you described seems like certain doom for both mother and baby.

In that case, the vet absolutely should have been there. In some cases, vets don't service the area or they get stuck in traffic.

I had a ewe prolapse something the size of a coconut through a prolapse harness and it sent her into labor. My vet was 2 hours away because of traffic. I slit her throat, dug through her guts, and delivered twins that were underbaked. Then spent the next two hours digging a hole while my mom sobbed over the phone at me about "that poor sheep", instead of putting her meat to use. Still kinda did. She got planted between the fruit trees and they're blooming great.

E: The sheep's meat, not mom's, though some days I am tempted.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I don't judge polled animals (ok, maybe I judge a little).

I'm telling gossip

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You can't tell me your lovely sheep wouldn't be cooler with some rad horns on them. The tiny horses and the llama too. Horns for everyone.

oh you're starting some horrors IJ

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Two was a very good boy and I am very glad he went quietly at home with someone who loved him, as all good sheep deserve.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

maybe y'all could stop suggesting she dissect her good pal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ILL Machina posted:

Hey sorry just seeing in your previous posts that you're an owner, too. Sorry if what I said was insensitive, I'm not as close as you guys are.

She made it really clear that she didn't want to do those things with him.

So yeah, friends. Just zen.

I own Katahdins and Shetlands but this is IJ's thread and I sure as hell ain't makin' one.