Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Yay, more newborn lambs! :woop:

What's the difference being a first-time mom makes with the two-horns? Do they just panic more or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh wow, I forgot all about poor Weebles :ohdear:.

Wasn't there also a ram at one point who was such an rear end in a top hat he won a trip to Freezer Camp?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Are going to check the skulls on the dead lambs and see if Garth's passing on OCD?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Juniper's ewe clearly knows she's weapons-grade cute, the smug grinning little thing :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I hope that's her actual name. And if not, why not? :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Yes, she’s still here and still an idiot. Right now she can’t see a drat thing because she needs to be sheared but she’s such a loving bitch at shearing that I save her for last. She spends the whole time trying to bite me in the face so she needs to be muzzled. I had kept her around for Dido’s sake because they were close but Dido’s gone now and that nasty little biohazard gets to go. All she had to do is not be awful and she couldn’t do it!

She's getting a ticket to Freezer Camp? :ohdear:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is Mina bigger than Major yet?

Oh no, let me help more then.

That is the most judgemental expression I've ever seen on an animal.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Goddamn, that is a majestic Ram :magical:. You can tell he knew it too and probably just wanted everyone to pet and praise him at all times.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Breeding groups went together today so be on the lookout for lambs in about 148 days. No baby goats this year because I don't have a buck. We'll see how I feel about them next year.

Also next year is the farm's 10 year anniversary so I've been working on an art project featuring some of our great ladies.

Jazz

It looks like she's got a hoof raised and is debating whether or not to buy a boat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chaosfeather posted:

Good luck at the show! I'm hoping the judge may have had his heart grow three sizes since last year, because your sheep continue to be wonderful.

And if not, you could always arrange for I'm to "accidentally" gore him with those very impressive horns.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
How often has Jazz just suddenly turned up in the house over the years? :stare:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

She'll be spayed when she's fully mature. Probably sometime this year. I don't feel comfortable with pediatric spays on giant dogs and don't have a problem keeping her away from males.

I don't know why or how, but I swear this is a prelude to surprise puppies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Instant Jellyfish is a very, very good and responsible person when it comes to her dogs (all her critters but that's beside the point) and that isn't happening. I fully support her reasoning not to pediatric spay a bitch who will rely on her joints and bones for protection purposes for at least a decade to come.

There are studies currently happening that have findings regarding higher incidences of bone cancer, ACL issues, and so forth in giant breeds that have pediatric spays. Given the long-term impact of pediatric spay in giant dogs, this isn't terribly surprising. A lot of vets are becoming aware of it, too.

It was a joke about tempting fate :ssh:. I'm fully aware IJ is a very good and responsible person.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ILL Machina posted:

This may be insensitive, but your wording made it sound like you might not have tried without an audience? Farm life is hard, so no judgement, just curious if what you did was standard procedure or not.

He needs a name befitting his struggle to emerge. He's also super pretty.

I want to put forth the name "Sideshow", given the circumstances of his birth.

He looks pretty nonplussed about this whole "being born" thing :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Edit: I might do apple varieties? There are lots of those.

Calling a sheep "Golden Delicious" might raise a few eyebrows :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What a ding-dong :downsrim:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Has Katelyn gotten the message on who her lambs are yet?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Clearly Wendigo's ram needs to be named after another cryptid.

How about Chupacabra? :v:

Baba Yaga?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What did you end up naming Wendigo's ram?

Also Winston is just The Handsomest little ram :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That was Windsor that carried a genetic issue that resulted in (literally) piles of dead lambs and was an rear end in a top hat and was delicious. I still have his pelt.

There's no greater spice to a dish than revenge :unsmigghh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
But how does Jaffa feel about Roo? :ohdear:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jaffa was also enamored until I kicked her out of the barn. Roo was very sad until he turned his attention to Cupcake. He then obsessed about her until I kicked her out of the barn this morning. Apparently he's a serial monogamist so I'm just going to have to remove ewes after he's bred them so he moves on to the next one.

YeahTubaMike posted:

What a dramatic and sensitive young man. :allears:

There's gonna be some real heartbreak in the paddock later when they ALL come over at the same time expecting Roo to be their one-and-only... :ohdear:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh no, not Jazz! She seemed like a sweet old lady and it's sad to hear she's gone :ohdear:. Is 15 an impressive age for a sheep?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Twofer sounds like he was a real sweet boy and I'm glad he got to at least pass peacefully :ohdear:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

You're all fine, it was just a hard loss and I'd rather not think about hacking him to pieces after already having to be the one to put him down. Two was a special dude. Maybe someday I'll drag his skull in but for right now he will return to nature and get the local wildlife through the end of winter.

Fun new science in the news today, they found out what gives 4 horned sheep the extra horns (but call jacobs goats). Spoiler alert: it's always HOX genes. You can read the actual paper here.

Also here is an extremely circular sheep.

In an ironic twist it turns out it's all wool rather than lambs :v:.

There has to be two in there, if not triplets. :eyepop:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I spoke too soon! Went out to feed dinner and found some goo. Goo was coming from a very blue little nose emerging from the backside of an otherwise oblivious sheep. Pulled the lamb and surprise, he was alive! Rubbed him down and he pinked right up. Mom didn't have milk or care about him at all and he is a bit premature so for now he's in a box in my bathroom.

He's a cormo/merino cross

He should be at 142 days gestation, survival is very unlikely at days 138-141 but at day 142 they usually do fine. Sheep really are down to the wire with fetal development. Fingers crossed for the little dude. I tube fed him a bunch of colostrum and a new antibody product so he just needs to mature a bit now. Next feeding I'll see if he'll take a bottle, he didn't seem to have a big suckle reflex at his first meal.

He's gonna have to learn real fast how things are done around there. Ain't no quitters in Jellyfish's farm :colbert:.

He's adorable and I hope he pulls through to become the mischievous little troublemaker he appears to be with that sweet little face. :ohdear:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

drrockso20 posted:

Gonna need to come up with a thematically matching name for his adoptive brother

I vote for either "Cookie" or "Cracker".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Did you pick a name for Biscuit's adoptive brother yet?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

She'll probably be Pavlova or Strudel.

That's a Strudel if I ever saw one. She's too drat sweet to not be Strudel.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That's a big baby :stare:. Is he likely to continue to grow into an absolute unit of a Ram, or will his size taper out to something average as he gets full-grown?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bitty beep was under 4 lbs at birth and only just hit 4 lbs this past weekend. Her mom was thoroughly grossed out by the prospect of being a mom and never developed an udder so she's my lamb now. She's been in and out of my bathroom because she's been so fragile but seems to be doing ok now. She is extremely cute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw6s0RCfO_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR4H_nOuBEs

I went to my parent's house for Easter yesterday and the beep had to come with me. My mom was so excited :3:

All the excitement wore her out.

Well now you just gotta call that sweet little thing Beep. And hug her and pet her and smoosh that little face and aaaagh :magical:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thank you for posting this! I was going to and then got busy (the story of my life). It really is so fantastic and made me so happy to see :3: You're very talented!

This Wednesday I'm is going to a professional photographer as part of a model call. Will my sheep destroy this man's fancy studio? Probably.

You better be taking that hand-raised sweetheart of a baby lamb with you. We need more photos of her! :shepface:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You actually named that sweet little thing Beep :allears: :stwoon:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
How is Beep doing? :ohdear:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Preggos are all sheared now and nighttime barn checks start tonight. The one early bird is due tomorrow when the weather is supposed to be awful so it's a very tempting time to give birth, but I'm going to be gone all day shearing on Tuesday so she might aim for that instead (my mom is going to come out and check her for me during the day). I've got a pen all set up so that might make her decide to hold it in for a few extra days since I'm prepared. Pregnant ewes are very calculating.

One of the lambs tried to bonk me through its mama's belly while I was shearing then flip flopped away when I poked its head :3: I bet that one is going to be a ram.

I bet they're still gonna find the most inconvenient moment possible just to spite you :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Remember how I was waiting for my one early ewe to lamb?

This is not that ewe.

I guess after being last last year, Woodrose was determined to be first this year. She had a cute little ram with a smiley face :kimchi:

There's some powerful "Mo~om, you're embarrassing meeeEEeee" energy in that ram.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Junco aka lovey dove was being a real sweet baby today :kimchi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pYmbtBNinM

Judging by the sucking on your finger, looks like they've decided you're their Mum now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Do always post lambs (and baby goats!). Ime ewes are so much less dramatic than goats and mostly just deal with it themselves. I'm glad you had a successful lambing and Boop is extremely cute :3:

Whatever became of your own farm's Beep the Sheep? Are they doing well?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I wouldn't have thought goats were capable of quintuplets. She must've been more kid than Mom carrying those around. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So you're naming the trouble buck Roadblock, right?