Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
At the time I was always super annoyed by nighttime barking and such, but this makes me really miss my gliders now :smith:

I only had two, rescued from a former friend who was not taking care of them at all. Just the change in diet from lovely pellets to proper balanced nutrition made a world of difference in their coat color and energy level. A big rear end flight cage helped too.

I lost Sandor very suddenly and i knew these guys shouldn't be solo, so i adopted his brother Gregor (the mountain that glides) to someone in Orlando with a pretty big colony and he is so happy there.

Maybe once we move and get a house and have the space I'd consider getting some more, but this time get them young and get lots of them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Apparently I still had some images of my two boys in imgur (I have more at home, I'm away for a work trip though). Side note: I think you might have the same cage I did!

This is what they looked like the day I got them :(

They were BROWN! And their home was a tiny travel cage. Such a difference just from a diet change. What do you feed your colony for their staple diet?

I had them on a diet from Critter Love (used to be called HPW), which I called "glider soup", and mixed in a "glider salad" of various fruits and veggies selected to balance their calcium to phosphorus ratio. You can see how shiny and silvery they got once they were getting actual nutrition :3:

Their favorite treat: LIVE MEALWORMS! They loved the dried ones too, I used to hide them in little plastic treasure chests that I hid all over their cage for foraging. Obviously a sometimes food, since they're very high in fat, but they were little murder beasts whenever they got worms.

Gregor moved to his new home in Orlando and I picked the woman I did to adopt him because she knew what she was doing. She has multiple big flight cages, this one had a handy divider so he could be nearby for everyone to smell each other without being able to get at each other. He stayed in his penthouse suite for a couple weeks before making closer introductions.

But integration was very successful. Here's a group shot of his new colony:

He's the one riding OH LAWD HE GLIDIN' on the left.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Yup, it was a Kongo Cage! I loved the door latches that locked so securely; Sandor was a little poo poo and figured out how to open the catches on the cheaper cages and they'd break out at night and come find me (or, one time my brother was visiting, jumping on him in the night and scaring the poo poo out of him). Not only messy, but very obviously unsafe for them to be out unsupervised.

You're absolutely correct, Sandor wasn't fixed when I got him, well spotted. I did eventually take him in to get neutered because he started to develop some food aggression and that went away.

Critter Love Complete! That was exactly what I used, and it's probably the best food out there in my experience. I didn't freeze mine, I actually made really small batches (just a week's worth) and left it in the fridge in a blender bottle. The boys very quickly paired the sound of the bottle being shaken (that metal whisk ball thing makes a very distinctive sound) with the arrival of breakfast, so it was their cue to wake up and climb to the top corner of the cage to see if I was going to grab some worms out of the worm farm for them. I only gave them maybe twice a week, way too much fat.

There's no way I'd ever do gliders in an apartment again -- the barking wasn't BAD, but when it happened they were just so close to the bedroom and it woke us up -- but this is really making me miss these guys and want to get some more after we get a house later this year. I'd love a mosaic like Arwen, I just saw the other day that Critter Love recently adopted out a little girl like her :kimchi:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Major Isoor posted:

I'm also not sure about their availability here in Australia...I don't think I've ever seen anyone have them, before. So I think at this stage, I'll need to continue living through your posts/photos :D

I have absolutely no clue, but since they're from there originally, I'd think they'd be easier to find than here on the other side of the planet. I could be horribly wrong.