Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

honestly seems a lot easier than figuring out, say, Oracle v Goog
the correct decision there was to walk both Larrys into the volcano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shumagorath posted:

the correct decision there was to walk both Larrys into the volcano

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just seen this when logging into my Fortinet account:

doesn't seem to be any advisory about it. a hearty lol.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

if you'll recall a mentioned a few days ago that entrust's contact info on ccadb is out of date.

so i may have been kind and lobbed a softball to entrust to get them to lower their guard over the weekend, and it's worked:

Bruce Morton posted:

(In reply to Wayne from comment #13)

Wayne posted:

In regards to Entrust's CCADB Entry the Problem Reporting Mechanism field shows a misalignment with their CPS and outdated information.
- Problem Reporting Mechanism
- ecs[dot]support[at]entrustdatacard[dot]com
- abuse[at]affirmtrust[dot]com
- https://www.entrust.net/ev/misuse.cfm
- https://www.affirmtrust.com/ssl/
Q1) Entrust's CPS 3.20 notes an email address of the domain entrust.com instead of entrustdatacard.com, so for consistency would it be better to update that record?
Per the Baseline Requirements, CPS section 1.5.2 is where the CA must provide the method to submit a certificate problem report. We also need to provide this information to the CCADB and apologize as this is out of date. We have opened a case in CCADB to update the information.

Please note that we have migrated away from @entrustdatacard,com, so email addresses ending with @entrust.com are correct.

Wayne posted:

Q2) The misuse form was last active in 2019, according to the wayback machine, would this be better off removed?
We have removed with our CCADB case.

Wayne posted:

Q3) The Affirmtrust link points at generic ssl sales page with an abuse email address already noted above, is it useful at all?
Agreed, not useful. The address will be removed with the CCADB case.

Wayne posted:

I trust that this is not an issue that reflects on Entrust alone, but reflects a need for the CA Issuers to be more thorough in their contact methods. To that end I'm keeping this as a comment in a relevant bug report rather than opening an additional one. As a general question is there a practice in the CA community of reviewing these records annually?
I am not aware if this is a practice. We will consider creating an annual review in our process to ensure the CCADB CA OWNER page is correct.
this was the only thing entrust responded to yesterday presumably given it seemed so innocent, anyway sectigo noticed:

Rob Stradling posted:

Bruce Morton posted:

I am not aware if this is a practice. We will consider creating an annual review in our process to ensure the CCADB CA OWNER page is correct.
Chrome Root Program Policy v1.1 (published 1st June 2022) said (emphasis mine):
"Minimally, CA operators must ensure information stored in the CCADB is reviewed monthly and updated as needed."

That "reviewed monthly and updated" phrase persisted through to Chrome Root Program Policy v1.4, but was removed in v1.5 (the current version) because it had become redundant. The current requirement is even stricter than "monthly"...

The CCADB policy says (emphasis mine):
"Regardless of more specific provisions in these requirements, CA Owners have an overarching responsibility to keep the information in the CCADB about themselves, their operations and their certificates accurate, and to make updates in a timely fashion. Minimally, CA Owners with certificates included in a participating Store must ensure their information stored in the CCADB is kept up to date as changes occur."

Chrome Root Program Policy v1.5 (and v1.4) says (emphasis mine):
"Chrome Root Program Participants must...Follow the requirements defined in the CCADB policy...In instances where the CCADB policy conflicts with this policy, this policy must take precedence...When a timeline is not defined for a requirement specified within the CCADB policy, updates must be submitted to the CCADB within 14 calendar days of being completed."

I don't see any timeline defined in the CCADB policy regarding how quickly a CA must update its Problem Reporting Mechanism information in CCADB when any change occurs, which means that the effective requirement (for any CA that is a Chrome Root Program Participant) is 14 calendar days.
thanks sectigo
thectigo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol dig up, entrust

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

ok that was genius

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

that was cool lawyer poo poo

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

if you'll recall a mentioned a few days ago that entrust's contact info on ccadb is out of date.

so i may have been kind and lobbed a softball to entrust to get them to lower their guard over the weekend, and it's worked:

this was the only thing entrust responded to yesterday presumably given it seemed so innocent, anyway sectigo noticed:

thanks sectigo
thectigo

At this point I just want someone to ask them about their stale ligma info, because I feel like it would work even better than anyone expected

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Volmarias posted:

At this point I just want someone to ask them about their stale ligma info, because I feel like it would work even better than anyone expected

please do not

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Captain Foo posted:

please do not

I will not touch the poop, I'm just imagining someone does.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

…I’m still drafting my comment, hmm

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Volmarias posted:

I will not touch the poop, I'm just imagining someone does.

imagining is the same level of processes they have at the moment

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i remember when touching the poop was just lifting /etc/passwd, now it's all about posting (sickening!)

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

To be honest, posts and any other process, product or byproduct of human existence is in fact sickening and closely linked to poop.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Raymond T. Racing posted:

imagining is the same level of processes they have at the moment

they aren’t even very imaginative

I got it off my chest, whew

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

SIGSEGV posted:

To be honest, posts and any other process, product or byproduct of human existence is in fact sickening and closely linked to poop.

everything you do is doo doo

Kovacs
Jul 19, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

…I’m still drafting my comment, hmm

Assuming it's your comment I just read now...absolute banger.

My only comment is ccTLD restrictions would just not work in today's internet, or maybe it'd only work for the smaller territorial/gov CAs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kovacs posted:

Assuming it's your comment I just read now...absolute banger.

My only comment is ccTLD restrictions would just not work in today's internet, or maybe it'd only work for the smaller territorial/gov CAs.

I think Amir’s proposal makes sense in a world where we’re still adding new roots: you get the keys to some domains at first, maybe your national ones and some of the new stuff, but you need to behave for a while before we trust you with .com.

I think the original discussion around ccTLD restriction was “well if the NL gov’t really wants to gently caress themselves, I guess we could limit to .nl” but it came back up the first time a Chinese organization wanted to be included so they could issue .cn stuff.

IIRC the root application asks prospective CAs what domains they plan to mint for already? maybe I’m misremembering

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

and thank you, I had to finally stop thinking of new things I was mad at and post

aaomidi
Apr 16, 2024
Did that entire thread just get nuked?

Kovacs
Jul 19, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I think Amir’s proposal makes sense in a world where we’re still adding new roots: you get the keys to some domains at first, maybe your national ones and some of the new stuff, but you need to behave for a while before we trust you with .com.

I think the original discussion around ccTLD restriction was “well if the NL gov’t really wants to gently caress themselves, I guess we could limit to .nl” but it came back up the first time a Chinese organization wanted to be included so they could issue .cn stuff.

IIRC the root application asks prospective CAs what domains they plan to mint for already? maybe I’m misremembering

It'd be fine for gov CAs, but others - I doubt it. Look at recent 'new' CAs applying like TrustAsia, they don't just operate out of .cn. Or Fastly who admittedly bought a root to get the ubiquity, but they couldn't be restricted to 'just' com.
Maybe worth consideration.

(Full disclosure, I've worked in this business for over 20 years, kinda shocked we've never directly crossed paths but I'm sure we know a lot of the same folks)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

whoa bugzilla does NOT play nice with safari in lockdown mode

aaomidi
Apr 16, 2024

spankmeister posted:

I think this is a bug on...bugzilla and nothing to do with that. The website is on endless loading loop.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

aaomidi posted:

Did that entire thread just get nuked?

spankmeister posted:

the place decided to explode, good to see it isn't just me

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I knew we should never have let Terry rewrite it from Tcl…

aaomidi
Apr 16, 2024
So I think the issue is limited to just that component, other components are behaving just fine: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1892639

Someone activated an emergency "lockdown" mode?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

oh good to know it's not lockdown mode then

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

aaomidi posted:

Someone activated an emergency "lockdown" mode?

No no I opened it on my phone and the site was freaking out and I thought it was due to my phone being in lockdown mode

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

asking some mozfolk what’s up!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i was submitting some non-entrust comment when it happened so i was worried i'd have 50 posts in a row, alas

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I wanted to post a SQLi joke but the cloudflare WAF blocked me lmao

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i was submitting some non-entrust comment when it happened so i was worried i'd have 50 posts in a row, alas

worth it

bugzilla is just broken right now, they’ve got an incident internally

spooky coincidence though! I might still take credit

aaomidi
Apr 16, 2024
Same issue happening with the rest of the site. I will assume this is just technical error and not a lockdown.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, that’s what the Mozillians are saying

aaomidi
Apr 16, 2024
I've made a copy of the comment: https://gist.github.com/aaomidi/78cfe71ad4938150e113a55b3e8f6d80

Reading this, this is exactly the sentiment I've had towards Entrust. Other CAs have spent time and effort improving and modernizing while Entrust seems to have...just not.

Thank you for this comment. Seriously. I hope root programs take note of this.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

bugzilla seems better now

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

that post is phwoar

in the good way

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

bugzilla seems better now

still just going to the main page for me when I tap any of the links in your posts

e: nvm, works now

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 23, 2024

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

:emptyquote: