Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/jojo_wiki/status/1763912490704949555?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

when will she be part of jojolands

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Today I learned Araki is 5 years younger than Toriyama. :qq:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
But I had it on this thread's good authority that Araki has been around since the dawn of time.

RIP Toriyama, though.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

But I had it on this thread's good authority that Araki has been around since the dawn of time.

RIP Toriyama, though.

It's what I love about Araki, man. I get older, he stays the same age

they want shady
May 11, 2013
To not just shitpost, I've spent the last few months doing a reread of Jojo and it's great, obvoiously. What actually surprised me is I'm actually liking Jojolion a lot on a re-read. It's tremendously goofy in a good way.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Like, seriously, part 8 Josuke is up there with my favorite protagonists. The slight buck-teeth Araki gives him helps a lot, but he's just got some great faces in general. Sort of got it when reading monthly, but reading it all at once definitely helped in seeing that part 8 revels a lot in what made part 4 great.

It's a trip seeing more clearly how Araki remixes all the elements from previous Jojo's in part 7 and 8. Steel Ball Run, which is still a stone cold classic btw, blends together just about every element worth a drat from the odd-numbered parts. It gets its structure from Stardust Crusaders, the direct characters and parallels from Phantom Blood, and its villain heirarchy from Golden Wind (also the final battle with Valentine is just Gold Expirience Requiem done right).

Part 8's really similar but with the odd numbered parts. Stone men are just pillar men but more nuanced and with clearer goals as they're actually striving to integrate into society, small town mysteries is all part 4 and part 8 explores some more of that with gusto, and Part 6 is the actual mystery Jojo's and part 8 builds on a lotta stand powers from that part (eg. Mamezuku is just Jolyne, Tsurugi's Kiss but more metaphorical, California King Bed's just a riff on Jaile House Lock, etc.) Still got exactly 3 chapters left of my re-read on that part, 2 of which are that world's Josuke flashback. So if you've got another perspective on all this poo poo I'd be happy to hear it, just commenting since it's all near and dear to my heart rn.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Someone showed me this bunch of art and I like some of them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/1b7bd38/jojos_bizarre_adventure_but_araki_was_born_in/

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I haven't seen that guy's art in a while, he's pretty good

https://www.deviantart.com/nikunja/gallery/62127108/jojo

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

zetamind2000 posted:

I haven't seen that guy's art in a while, he's pretty good

https://www.deviantart.com/nikunja/gallery/62127108/jojo

A+

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

P9 Ch13
https://mangadex.org/chapter/4324921d-a07d-42fc-8e51-d4b1033a3274

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

drat, a lot going on in this chapter. Really dense

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

my thought on opening the chapter was, "I really hope this one has a lot going on to jumpstart the story" and lo and behold

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

So they're going to use the one lava rock to get the other lava rock, so they can rescue Charming Man's brother, and in the process incidentally earn $50 billion.

Also, stands aren't caused by these mysterious lava tubes, or any mysterious natural phenomenon, but by the abstract concept of "absurdity". This part is so wild, I love it, it's like the universe is running on Twilight Zone rules, and people are figuring that out and how they can exploit it :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I love how people in JoJo will seem so nice until they have the most minor of slights done against them, at which point they become the most unhinged individual and threaten to eat your kids or something.

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

Begemot posted:

So they're going to use the one lava rock to get the other lava rock, so they can rescue Charming Man's brother, and in the process incidentally earn $50 billion.

Also, stands aren't caused by these mysterious lava tubes, or any mysterious natural phenomenon, but by the abstract concept of "absurdity". This part is so wild, I love it, it's like the universe is running on Twilight Zone rules, and people are figuring that out and how they can exploit it :allears:

wondering if this is the "mechanism" that was talked about in chapter 1

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love that Paco seems fixated on Charmingman's knife skill.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I love that Paco seems fixated on Charmingman's knife skill.

that's how you know he's gonna save the group by stabbing the main villain

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
please let Charmingman's stand be called Charmless Man

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Man. I wasn't expecting just a straight up transphobic hate crime in this chapter, feels gross! Especially when the manga (or at least this translation) is still referring to Dragona as male. Like, with Dragona being called Dragomi by the teacher, the groping being specifically framed as "Do you have a cock? What exactly is going on down here?" and the bully trying to cut her nipples off because "Someone like you really should have a bra," what's happening feels very clear, I've been in very similar situations. She's been sexually assaulted twice in 13 chapters and it feels like that's her main contribution to the story, being assaulted so Jodio can do something cool.

The rest of the chapter was good though, this new plan is fun. I really like the idea of them stealing the entire mountain, really exciting plan with a lot of potential for interesting stuff. And if the manga turns around and for the rest of the part Dragona gets to be cool and have more agency a lot of my complaints here will be resolved.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It is quite uncomfortable to have that to happen to Dragona three times in 13 chapters, yes. Araki was always a 'fan' of using subjects like this to make his villains look bad, but it was never this common.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lucy and Yasuho also got it pretty bad, though it wasn't this frontloaded. I do hope we can move on to other plot beats soon.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What is the contextual significance of Dragona vs Dragomi?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think Dragomi is their birth name, Dragona (a female name) is the name they chose.

They got dead named, which was just one more in a long string of transphobic insults and attacks.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

There's a small translator's note on pg 8 that says 'Gomi = Trash'

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

SKULL.GIF posted:

If it isn't deadnaming it's pretty clearly meant to bring deadnaming to mind

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Lucy and Yasuho also got it pretty bad, though it wasn't this frontloaded. I do hope we can move on to other plot beats soon.

That, and I may just be completely forgetting something but going at her nipples with the eyelash curlers feels a good bit more specific and visceral than what they got. Not to say what happened with them was good or anything, but in my memory it's much more about the threat of assault and less actually seeing the assault (which is violent in a more mundane way than Jojo's basically every gets) on screen? I only read like a quarter of Jojolion though, so I could easily be forgetting or missing something there.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Jodio is quickly climbing the ranks as my new favorite Jojo.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
As the TL note says, gomi = trash, so it also could just be the bus driver calling Dragona trash under the pretense of "forgetting" her name.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't know if Dragona had made any attempt to transition at that point four years ago. They may have still be presenting as male.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't know if Dragona had made any attempt to transition at that point four years ago. They may have still be presenting as male.

I mean, there's enough there for the bullis to clock onto their Gender Weirdness as a target of attack.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
School bullies can smell that poo poo on you, I was getting called slurs I didn't realize were accurate all throughout middle school, and at one point someone did a very toned down version of the bra thing. Nothing as bad as Dragona, but even if she wasn't actively transitioning (which it seems like she was, given the name thing) the bullies would be acting this way

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Buying a villa in Hawaii filled with expensive art just so he can study a rock is an extremely Rohan thing to do.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Jodio was right to trap all those kids in the school bus and set it on fire. all allies should aspire to such

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

yeah actually they will posted:

Jodio was right to trap all those kids in the school bus and set it on fire. all allies should aspire to such

He got the parrot too

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
some parrots are transphobic.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

chrome line posted:

Man. I wasn't expecting just a straight up transphobic hate crime in this chapter, feels gross! Especially when the manga (or at least this translation) is still referring to Dragona as male. Like, with Dragona being called Dragomi by the teacher, the groping being specifically framed as "Do you have a cock? What exactly is going on down here?" and the bully trying to cut her nipples off because "Someone like you really should have a bra," what's happening feels very clear, I've been in very similar situations. She's been sexually assaulted twice in 13 chapters and it feels like that's her main contribution to the story, being assaulted so Jodio can do something cool.

The rest of the chapter was good though, this new plan is fun. I really like the idea of them stealing the entire mountain, really exciting plan with a lot of potential for interesting stuff. And if the manga turns around and for the rest of the part Dragona gets to be cool and have more agency a lot of my complaints here will be resolved.

This is where I land on it.

I love that Jodio and Dragona are so close and that Jodio will actively just about kill a transphobe, but the violence doesn't need to be so present, visceral and common. Hopefully this is the last of it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Just saw a video which pointed out that Tooru took around 45 hours to drive Yasuho across town to the final battle and I can't stop laughing

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

yeah actually they will posted:

some parrots are transphobic.

The parrot is the only reason he didn't let them burn to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The only way to take down a kid with bad vibes is another kid with bad vibes