Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/jojo_wiki/status/1770139680706527610

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
If any part was going to get a musical, Phantom Blood definitely fits the bill.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Dio's villain coat looks pretty fun

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I need to see this on like a visceral level.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 20, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Feel like if you translated this into English and put it on Broadway, it'd probably do pretty well. Licensed musicals are big now!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't think of much worse than seeing a musical but the only musicals I would ever go see are this and a full version of the Simpsons version of Streetcar

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
I agree with others here that Dragona being targeted so viscerally so that Jodio can appear and do cool prootective-brother stuff feels pretty unpleasant, and not in the usual "oh Araki...!" way. I know Araki's always liked melodrama but it's rare to see this kind of sexualised violence. Hope he can get it out of his system! Hope Dragona gets to do more interesting things!

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Danny puppetry? Oh we're cookin, boys

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pootybutt posted:

Danny puppetry? Oh we're cookin, boys

yeah he'll be cookin alright

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwXmrYuvVfk

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I know Araki's always liked melodrama but it's rare to see this kind of sexualised violence.

Going to disagree with you there, Araki loves putting women in wierd lurid sexual danger even if they're almost always saved at the last second.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That was Lucy's entire purpose in SBR

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Really it's been a recurring thing since at least Part 6

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

It's bad and uncomfortable whether the vulnerable people being menaced are cis or trans or anything in between. It's not new and I wouldn't expect anything else, but it's still super uncomfortable, and it hits a lot worse the closer you are to the victimized character. I know I hated reading it in this last chapter.

I will say, I think Dragona is awesome, and Jodio's use of violence is cathartic and it's an effective story being told. It's also more than I wanted to see, and I agree with others who are saying that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Asterite34 posted:

Really it's been a recurring thing since at least Part 6

Part 3.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Honestly, it's been a thing ever since Dio decided to force himself on Erina and also seemed to implicitly be doing the same with Poco's sister.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Araki has been using the threat of sexual violence to show how bad someone is from the very beginning, but I agree that there's something different about this one. Unless I'm forgetting something, this is much more explicit than any previous example

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's because it goes on for about a dozen pages and they're very clear about their intentions, spelling it out in text repeatedly. Usually in the past it's either an abrupt shocking moment, or it lacks the detailed narration.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's because it goes on for about a dozen pages and they're very clear about their intentions, spelling it out in text repeatedly. Usually in the past it's either an abrupt shocking moment, or it lacks the detailed narration.

IMO that's because the point of the event this time isn't it establishing someone as evil (it does, but that's not important, I seriously doubt Random Bully # 5 is going to show up as an arc villain thirty chapters down the line), but that it's happening to our protagonists and is trying to demonstrate their different thoughts and responses on the event. Dragona outright says as much, indicating they viewed the chain of events as an absurdity of reality unconnected to anything they did or did not do (which is right, Dragona's gender presentation didn't somehow cause the students to bully them), but that Jodio saw it as an injustice that needed to be avenged, and the subsequent events as the result of some mechanism in the world responding to his actions (so clearly he just needs to figure out how that works and he'll be able to murder all the people he wants to!). Consequently Dragona notes they could move on (even if they were miserable doing so), while Jodio would really never be able to let go since that viewpoint means everything has to wrap around to being his fault, somehow. I'm in agreement with some of the others that this divide is probably going to become increasingly apparent as the story goes on, and the Joestar siblings might end up splitting ways at some point over it.

I definitely get being upset by the visceral nature of what's shown (the actual physical wounds are a lot, even if I get it was to give Smooth Operators something to work with), but I feel like it would have to be something like this to work as intended? I think it would have to be centered around something as fundamental as gender identity to avoid implying any sort of "active" action on Dragona's part that could be seen as causal (feel like this is an issue sometimes with "misunderstanding" type plots, where they end up carrying an implication that it's the fault of the victim for not making sure they were understood rather than whoever made the wrong assumption in the first place), and at that point I'm not sure the specific type of violence involved changes how hosed up the situation is very much.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

:qq:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Eiba posted:

It's bad and uncomfortable whether the vulnerable people being menaced are cis or trans or anything in between. It's not new and I wouldn't expect anything else, but it's still super uncomfortable, and it hits a lot worse the closer you are to the victimized character. I know I hated reading it in this last chapter.

I will say, I think Dragona is awesome, and Jodio's use of violence is cathartic and it's an effective story being told. It's also more than I wanted to see, and I agree with others who are saying that.

Araki is validating her as a trans woman by menacing her in the story the same way he does to most of his cis female characters

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Isn't Dragona a trans man?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Isn't Dragona a trans man?

That's the one thing they're definitely not

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Nobody knows what Dragona's exact situation is except Araki. Even Jodio was "Yeah my big bro's chest started getting bigger a couple years ago" (isn't he the only non-antagonist to refer to Dragona as any specific gender?). All that's concrete is that Dragona is gender-nonconforming.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

How is Dragona received in general? I assume most jojo fans are pretty tolerant considering how homoerotic some parts can get, and there aren't jojo fans out there who are saying Araki has gone woke or some other bs.

And yeah that scene made me pretty uncomfortable

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I remember some lovely trolling along the lines of "westerners are projecting their concepts of trans/genderqueer people onto the Japanese, he's just an okama and not someone seriously trying to be a woman" though I'm not sure if that's died down. Unfortunately people who are okay with gay people or are queer themselves but are still transphobic exist.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
with smooth operators you can have any kind of genitals at any point

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

goblin week posted:

Well, you could at least put them anywhere on your body.

Dragona could turn someone into a literal dickhead.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

goblin week posted:

we've been through this with that whole annasui thing

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Brandfarlig posted:

Well, you could at least put them anywhere on your body.

Dragona could turn someone into a literal dickhead.

Anywhere on or off the body, it seems. Fully detachable as it were.

Honestly Smooth Operators might be one of my favorite Stands of all just from the crazy things it could potentially do. Up there with Crazy Diamond.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
If Smooth Operators can move parts of organic objects onto inorganic objects, then it follows that Dragona could give Paco knife blades on his hands so he can wield even more knives at once.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Gully Foyle posted:

Anywhere on or off the body, it seems. Fully detachable as it were.

Honestly Smooth Operators might be one of my favorite Stands of all just from the crazy things it could potentially do. Up there with Crazy Diamond.

The possibilities are endless.

It does feel a bit like a more specific Crazy Diamond. Which I suppose isn't unusual for stands in later parts.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Schubalts posted:

If Smooth Operators can move parts of organic objects onto inorganic objects, then it follows that Dragona could give Paco knife blades on his hands so he can wield even more knives at once.

Do that with Charmman, maybe then he'll learn how to wield a knife.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Decided to finally catch up with part 9, a few thoughts:
- Have we seen anyone else as similar to their original version as Rohan in the new continuity? Obviously there are a lot of characters with the same name but even if they're recognisable they usually get a significant design shift. Part 9 Rohan honestly feels like he could just be the same guy. This is probably just Araki giving an enduring fan favourite one more outing but it's kindof funny when combined with that joke about him being able to keep up with the speed of Made in Heaven.
- Other than that, interesting that I can't really think of many other links to the original run other than Jodio -> Giorno and the whole "trying to succeed at crime" setup being sortof like part 5.
- While we had backstory for Jodio, we haven't really had any explanation for why a bunch of stands would manifest on O'ahu, right? I assume the lava rocks and weird water stuff could be linked but those all seem to be on the main island.
- Wonder if Charmingman is part rock human, since his skin doesn't seem to be directly related to his stand and we were told it was possible in part 9.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm thinking the lava rocks may have something to do with the Wall Eyes from Part 8, since the Wall Eyes sprung up after an earthquake and volcanoes are also a sort of plate tectonic phenomenon

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also it's kindof funny that for all the references I'm pretty sure this is the first time two characters have had a full conversation about music

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
They talk about Prince in DiU, but that might not count as a full conversation. Outside that it might be the first? I feel like there must be another though

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Weird Al and Michael Jackson both get a mention.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Fugo atleast brings up music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I know that Daiya brings up some music, but I'm not sure if I would call what she is having with Gappy a 'conversation'.