Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He definitely seems to have found the only gym in Italy, along with Diavolo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Is Giorno going to do the thing today, or will that be next week?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Aurora posted:

bruno vs king crimson was perfect imo

That long shot of Bruno awkwardly swaying as King Crimson monologued behind him looked pretty stupid tbh

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dragonwagon posted:

Part 6 is where the stand powers go really off the rails and I'm dying to see it all animated.

And I'm 'animated' to see everyone dying.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Death would have been a kinder fate

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Augus posted:

Am I misremembering how long the upcoming fights were because it feels like not a whole lot of material is left for 6 episodes?

Don;t forget about Rolling Stone! :v:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I would really like to hear Araki try and explain what was up with all the elves and goblins in Part 6. Even for a series called JoJo's Bizzare Adventure that was such a baffling artistic choice.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gyro dies as a direct consequence of walking back on his redpilled True Man's World bullshit and putting himself at risk to save Lucy. Everything else aside I like his failure against Valentine comes from deciding being a good person is more important than ABSOLUTE DETERMINATION even though the stakes in his case are literally fatal.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

iirc Giorno and Mista make a token effort but there's no real Stand battle where they actually try and outwit Diavolo or exploit the shortcomings of King Crimson's powers, after Chariot Requiem it's pretty much just a dash for the Arrow

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It does kinda suck the final battle is more about Jotaro than Jolyne, but Pucci's death at the hands of Weather Report is a hell of a better ending than GER

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Aurora posted:

yeah too bad about the main character

You could say the same about Jonathan dying in Phantom Blood? Jolyne giving up her life to allow Emporio to escape is good characterisation, just because it isn't the optimal happy ending for her it doen't mean it's bad writing

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Aurora posted:

Jonathan's death isn't convoluted bullshit

Dio didn't magically kill Jonathan by getting the superpower no one is allowed to touch

No, he killed him by spontaneously developing the power to shoot laser eyes after his entire body was destroyed. Made in Heaven was extremely well foreshadowed and and planned out by contrast.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Aurora posted:

He could already shoot laser eyes. Acting like Made in Heaven is some masterpiece of a superpower because Space Ripper Stingy Eyes exists is loving dumb.

Dio only figures out he can do it after Jonathan has already beaten him and he's falling off the castle, entirely as a contrivance to allow him to gank Jonathan despite being decapitated. Made in Heaven comes about as a result of Pucci achieving communion with his god (DIO) and grants him what he believes is mastery over the main overarching concept of the series (Fate). I mean it's fine if you don't like it, but there was a logcal conclusion to the story being told in Stone Ocean and the original JoJo contiunity as a whole.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Aurora posted:

acting like it's a good narrative decision that the villain is literally untouchable because of space ripper stingy eyes doesn't make it good, sorry

I don't feel like you're discussing this in good faith, you're the one who said Jonathan's death was less bullshit that Jolyne's. I don't particularly mind that was a way to get the ending Araki wanted but it's definitely one of the biggest asspulls of the series.

Regardless, the point of the ending is Pucci isn't untouchable and he didn't control Fate anywhere near as much as he thought, as his brother had always had the hard counter to his seemingly invincible power ever since they became Stand users and he had always been fated to die to Weather Report through his own actions.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Darko posted:

Not in the terms of a JoJo's manga battle because it's presented as a "perfect" defense. Being able to see what will happen ahead of time and just erase it in a fight is far above anyone else to this point (even Kar's "unkillable" can be negated by Stands that can effectively trap him or erase him). There are a few technical Stands that can beat KC, but nothing that any of the main protagonists have.

Epitaph by itself saved Diavolo's other half against a super powerful Stand; you stack "erasing the poo poo in between" and there's not poo poo most protagonists can do.

Now if he had to fight, like, Freddy Krueger baby, then he'd probably lose if he was ambushed. But he's not on the team.

The problem with King Crimson is it does 'cheat' like no other main villain's Stand does. Because it's never firmly established how people experience erased time the cast don't get to react to it in a logcal way had Araki had stuck firm with any single depiction. Instead sometimes its Futurama Time Keeps Skipping-style cuts forward where people continue to take actions but can't recall them, other times physics seem to continue but everyone is vacant for the duration as with Polnareff's blood drops and then other times it just seems to be The World.

If the cast could have always been able to tell time has been erased because they're halfway across the room and in a completely different position for example, they could have at least tried to fight around its ability.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Doppio would really need to be in on the act for him to be read as a single character with Diavolo. As he spends the entire manga genuinely thinking he's his own man just working for Diavolo and never develops any real agency he's not so much a symbiotic part of 'The Boss' as a subservient persona to be worn and discarded as convenient. He dies without ever knowing his true nature or his role in Diavolo's schemes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cross posting from the anime thread because I guess these are technically spoilers

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Choosing to betray the boss was a pretty major decision they made on their own.

Also I do believe going after Polpo's money was also something they came up with themselves.

Giorno's plan to betray the boss ends up being to faithfully follow orders up until the very moment Bruno's hand is forced by an unrelated turn of events, he doesn't actually do anything himself to forment the rebellion or develop his own plan to move against him (does he even come clean that he was a traitor from the start once Bruno's crew decide to revolt?). Basically the entire coup up to and including the means of Diavolo's defeat just kind of falls on his lap.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Does he give that 'two days from retirement' speech in the manga? Because that was really on the nose lol

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The true effect of King Crimson is erasing memory of passages of the manga, leaving only the consequence of us complaining about things that did or didn't happen in it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

How much are you going to say about exactly why part 7 is rebooting to 1890, with an alternate Jonathan who isn't a 100% match and isn't even British gentry?

There's nothing really to suggest the SBRverse is the new universe created at the end of Stone ocean, it's just a reboot

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Wait, Anasui was trans?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Elephant Parade posted:

I mean, given that there are two episodes left, it almost certainly has a weakness? And I imagine we're going to see it.

Sweet summer child ...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CJ posted:

Hah, i didn't even consider that anime onlies think there's 2 episodes of fight left.

Is the time loop death thing immediately after the Muda or is there more before that?

iirc it's immediately after this, that MUDA OHKOs him

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Never heard that it was a last minute thing before, so I’m gonna go ahead and say it’s misinformation

Nah, here's the afterword where he discusses changing the ending. From his comments it seems the creation of Made in Heaven itself was part of that last minute change, so at the very least C-Moon would likely have played a larger in the original draft. Other than that I guess they'd have killed Pucci and then everyone went home, which Araki seems to think would have been a flat note to end the saga on.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pootybutt posted:

My reading of it is that touching the rock would somehow psychically clue Bruno in on when and how he would die, and super-compel him to suicide or something.

Actually knowing your fate and eventual death grants you peace and allows you to accept death contentedly, god it's like you didn't read Stone Ocean at all

(for reals though there's no way Bruno would take the easy way out when his crew is depending on him, his entire arc is about any and all amounts of poo poo to save his dudes)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

It's really something worthy of someone much worse than Diavolo. Like Cioccolata. Or Funny Valentine.

It's an absolutely horrific power that should be used against anyone, though it really does speak to Giorno's personality that given unlimited power he develops a Stand that lets him be Old Testament God and sentence those he deems unworthy to eternal damnation.

God what a loathsome character.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Dude didn't know what GER did, he didn't choose his stand

Stands are a manifestation of their user's soul and reflect their personality, even if only subconsciously

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah also it's not like the whole requiem thing is super conscious on the stand user's part, i doubt polnareff was really hype on the idea of loving everything around him falling asleep and switching souls

Polnareff's deal was presumably that he wanted to be free of his broken body and being completely defeated in mind and spirit he couldn't control that impulse and it manifested in the completely haywire way it did with Chariot Requiem.

Stands have never been handed out randomly and GER 'restoring life' to causality destroyed by KC lines up perfectly with the concepts behind GE already, just in a more metaphysical sense. So I don't think tthere's any reason to doubt the power of GER on some level comes from Giorno's own desires, sending people to the infinite hell dimention and all.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

do you think this of Josuke too

this isn't meant to be an Own, I'm just curious. because josuke does horrible things to horrible people and then takes delight in it (yo angelo, donating teronsuke to the library, healing enigma so he can beat him again even), but unlike giorno, josuke knows he's doing it

gold experience requiem even says that giorno doesn't know what ger does

Yeah Josuke's actions leave a bad taste in my mouth too, but also they're also not torturing a guy forever, as in a literal eternity without end. Sooner or later Angelo and Ternosuke will be destroyed one way or another and according to GER Diavolo will still dying over and over in his loop of non-time long after the Sun's burnt out and life on earth has ceased to exist. It's an unthinkably horrific thing to do to anyone, regardless of how big a monster they've been during their life.

And I really don't buy Giorno is blameless for the actions of GER, it's a entity formed from his thoughts and desires and it can only do the things it does and chooses to do them because consciously or not that's what Giorno wants to happen. Heck the whole reason Giorno was able to master the Arrow was because he was able to control its impulses.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi7jdqF_3Wg

I maintain Megalomania would be absolutely perfect for ED2

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Part 5 is the only one I'd describe overall as bad, even if it does have some extremely strong chapters and fun characters along the way. 4 & 7 are generally agreed to be the high points of the franchise in the english speaking world, which I think is pretty accurate.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zinkraptor posted:

The thing about King Crimson is that, while you can figure out how it works at a single moment in the story, it’s exact function and limitations change frequently so attempting to make the whole thing fit together is not actually possible.

So, to answer your question - sometimes it’s like the World, sometimes it isn’t. USUALLY the idea is that everyone is ”locked” into what there’ll be doing for while it’s being used while the boss can do whatever he wants, with the added bonus of everyone else not being able to remember what happened, but even that’s inconsistent.

The Boss not being able to interfere with their movement during the erased time is another “sometimes” rule.

When you know a little about Vento Aureo: 'It just works'
When you know a somewhat about Vento Aureo: Actually the confusion about KC's power was just because of the bad translation, it's actually pretty straightforward and makes perfect sense now!
When you know alot about Vento Aureo: 'It just works'

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Are they still dealing with the unbelievably old man? I've not read the manga in a couple of years but I swear they've been dealing with the insanely old man ever since I started following the thread again.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

dudermcbrohan posted:

is it really random when the whole plot has been the road to obtaining a mcguffin that gives the main character the ability the metaphorical opposite of the villain's "unbeatable" power

The whole plot had been the gang trying to find out the boss's identity. When that turns out to have been a complete waste of time Polnareff just emails them out of the blue at the 11th hour and tells them to come use the arrow instead.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Black August posted:

Kind of funny to see the escalation of Stand power each arc, from A-Rank super Stands, to getting a second arrow hit, to giving your Stand the second arrow hit, to ending with a literal Heaven ritual

And then for the creation of the ultimate Stand that trumps every other power - riding your horse real good.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bear in mind they spent over a year just fighting Valentine, this neverending climax might be going on for quite a bit longer still

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

What part of Dragon's Dream don't people understand?

The 'luck' just seems to be completely arbitary and like an attack in itself rather than an application of a natural law, like Dragon's Dream just says 'uh ... your right knee is really unlucky now, something insanely unlikely will happen to you if he touches your right knee' so it doesn't seem like he's actually doing feng shui, he's just cursing his target to experience constant critical fails with an extremely convoluted fake explanation behind it? And how does detaching his limbs come into it, what's the deal with that?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't know why you'd have an issue with people finding the explicitly comedy protagonist funny, but there you are.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

tbp posted:

i am really glad valentine was just gradually redesigned to not be a little goblin monster

And by gradually you mean 'literally one scene where he gets really horny'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Valentine legit changes from chubster to insanely jacked guy over one scene as he's menacing Lucy in his mansion. There's no alternate reality shenanigans, it's just Araki playing the Tamani stature thing for drama, you can go look it up.